whiz on ktar right now

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
BSP and Matt are equal but I might not play Matt?

He really is hatin on Matt, that's not a subtle dig there, that's an in your face I'm after you hard and BSP sucking wind is the only thing saving your butt, JMO.

Well this year should be interesting.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you guys are missing the intentions of his words. He was saying that the playing time the other guys gets is strictly determined by how much time on the field Warner gets. Meaning that depending on the situation and how the first half is going if Warner winds up playing most of the first half, (because say San Diego is controlling the first half) then BSP will get his time which would cause the next guy in line Leinart to perhaps not play. It is strictly due to the fact that he is allowing BSP to play 2nd string in this game and he would naturally be in line to play the second to third with the fourth quarter belonging to Palko.

I'm not a fan of this whole battle for #2 and thought it was nothing more than Whiz giving BSP a tease more than anything, but in this instance I think you guys are misinterpreting what he was saying.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BSP and Matt are equal but I might not play Matt?

He really is hatin on Matt, that's not a subtle dig there, that's an in your face I'm after you hard and BSP sucking wind is the only thing saving your butt, JMO.

Well this year should be interesting.

All of the above unfortunately. ML truly has some talent IMHO. Does that mean he is gonna be a great NFL QB. No not necessarily but the potential is there IMHO.
If ML ever gets his chance he should go out there with a chip on his shoulder and be determined to prove to Whis that he is worthy of being given a fair chance to make it in this league.
If nothing else he should go out to prove how wrong Whis is and to create demand for himself when he likely gets cut.
I don't get what it is that Whis has against the kid? Because DG drafted him? Whis had never worked with Warner before he came here either so is that it?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I'm not getting too hyped up on Whisenhunt just yet. Vince Tobin took over a team in total disarray and within 3 seasons had them in the 2nd round of the playoffs with half the talent the current team has.

Within a year the team was again in disarray and we witnessed 7 years of some of the worst football any NFL team has ever seen.

Whisenhunt won with Denny's guys and Whiz' draft picks and some of the personnel moves have me really concerned and covering over potential problems with "he took us to the super bowl" just doesn't work for me. So I'm going to wait awhile before I anoint him a genius in the personnel department.

Steve Breaston, Tim Hightower, DRC, Levi Brown, Sean Morey, Rod Hood, Antrel at safety, heck even Ben Graham. What personnel moves have you concerned here?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
All of the above unfortunately. ML truly has some talent IMHO. Does that mean he is gonna be a great NFL QB. No not necessarily but the potential is there IMHO.
If ML ever gets his chance he should go out there with a chip on his shoulder and be determined to prove to Whis that he is worthy of being given a fair chance to make it in this league.
If nothing else he should go out to prove how wrong Whis is and to create demand for himself when he likely gets cut.
I don't get what it is that Whis has against the kid? Because DG drafted him? Whis had never worked with Warner before he came here either so is that it?

I am just guessing but given how Whis is as a coach and how Matt is, I just think Whis dosen't like him as a QB, his mental makeup or something.

It's the only explanation I have, that happens, some coaches don't like certain types of players and I think Matt is on Whis's short list of pet peeves.

Makes more sense to me than other explanations, Matt has screwed up a little but nothing major and seems to be legitimately focused but it dosen't seem to count for much, I think Whis has made up his mind and is just biding time until he can get rid of him.

OP
OP
Linderbee

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Leinart possibly not playing part seems odd to me. If you want to give BSP and Leinart an equal shot, why play Palko at all?

Good! If Matt isn't going to see the field until the scrubs are in, better that he doesn't even play! That way, he won't get destroyed behind Oliver 'Turnstile' Ross.
:yeahthat: Sorry I didn't include it in my recap, but Whiz made it very clear that the reason he would not put Matt in if Warner got too much time in the first half is because he did NOT want Matt having to play with/against 4th stringers...too much potential for injury.

I'm sure the haters will spin that into some sort of "Whiz thinks he's injury prone" but it wasn't that way at all. Roles reversed, he wouldn't put BSP in, I'm sure of that.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
:yeahthat: Sorry I didn't include it in my recap, but Whiz made it very clear that the reason he would not put Matt in if Warner got too much time in the first half is because he did NOT want Matt having to play with/against 4th stringers...too much potential for injury.

I'm sure the haters will spin that into some sort of "Whiz thinks he's injury prone" but it wasn't that way at all. Roles reversed, he wouldn't put BSP in, I'm sure of that.

Well... If this was included in the aforementioned post, things would have been worded differently. From the way things were said, it appeared that Whis was giving BSP a shot and not Matt. This at least makes it appear that Whis does not completely hate Matt.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I hope BSP fails miserably on Saturday. Whiz isn't as smart as everyone thinks. Don't let the 9-7 and subsequent Super Bowl fool you. His arrogance was an issue in Pittsburgh and it is an issue here.

Fool us ?

The first playoff apperance in over 20 years ?

The first home playoff game in over 60 years ?

The first Super Bowl appearance ever ?

Maybe you should cut the guy a little slack.

AS for "hope to fail" ? What is this ? A GOP convention ?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Steve Breaston, Tim Hightower, DRC, Levi Brown, Sean Morey, Rod Hood, Antrel at safety, heck even Ben Graham. What personnel moves have you concerned here?

Oops my bad. I thought this was one of the threads where you pulled negative stuff about players and coaches out of a hat.

:D

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whis brought a nice touch today. When asked if this team is better suited for a playoff run than last years team...Whis responded with the fact that last years team had to be taught that they could win...this years team knows they can win. Great interview!

If the team cannot run out the clock in the 4th quarter, they will lose some games. They will win some, but they will let teams back into some as well. The running game is a problem.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
His arrogance was an issue in Pittsburgh and it is an issue here.

I'd love for you to substantiate this with some actual reason. How was/is Whis arrogant, and how has it been an issue at either place?

From what I've seen, he's taken arguably the worst franchise in the NFL and turned them into a super bowl contender. If anyone in the local sports scene is beyond reproach at this point, it would be the Whis.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love for you to substantiate this with some actual reason. How was/is Whis arrogant, and how has it been an issue at either place?

All I ever heard was the Rothliswhatshimname didn't really like Whiz and there was some friction. Whose fault or what the bone of contention was, I have no clue.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Big Ben didn't like Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt was passed over on the HC job at Pittsburgh. Anquan Boldin and Edgerrin James basically called Whisenhunt a back stabber. And if Brian St. Pierre, the biggest joke ever to toss a pass for the Cards, wins the 2nd QB spot for kissing ass, I am sure Leinart will have a case as well.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Heard the archived interview and that is exactly what he said.

Since Warner will be playing longer, that means BSP has to play later into the game, which means by the time Matt gets into the game it will be the bottom of the barrel players playing in the 4th quarter, meaning he doesnt want Matt to play with that and would rather risk Palko out there instead.

Its really very simple. Coach saw what Matt did after Warner, now he wants to see what BSP does after Warner. Equal opportunity to show something in similar circumstances. I actually see this as a positive to Matt, coach doesnt want to take the chance of him getting hurt, where as he wasnt willing to do that with BSP. Shows that its BSP who has to make that leap to #2 more so then Matt has to lose it, just like Urban and Sommers have been writting in their blogs, both ahve been saying all things equal Matt either has to fall on his face or BSP has to show his ability beyond a shadow of a doubt, meaning Matt has to show extrodinary suckitude and/or BSP has to show extrodinary skill for a change to be made. Urban and Somers are in the think of it and if thats what they feel they have to know something.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Big Ben didn't like Whisenhunt. Whisenhunt was passed over on the HC job at Pittsburgh. Anquan Boldin and Edgerrin James basically called Whisenhunt a back stabber. And if Brian St. Pierre, the biggest joke ever to toss a pass for the Cards, wins the 2nd QB spot for kissing ass, I am sure Leinart will have a case as well.

Talk about nit picking, bottom line is Whis keeps it very simple; the best players will be playing, and every position is open to competition. If you don't think that mentality helped our team reach the Super Bowl, then you're kidding yourself. If these players want to cry about this or that, that's fine, but in a results driven league, there is nothing to complain about the way that Whis has handled things.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Talk about nit picking, bottom line is Whis keeps it very simple; the best players will be playing, and every position is open to competition. If you don't think that mentality helped our team reach the Super Bowl, then you're kidding yourself. If these players want to cry about this or that, that's fine, but in a results driven league, there is nothing to complain about the way that Whis has handled things.

Wrong. Edge was the best back last year. Whiz had a pissing match and nearly tanked the whole season because of it.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong. Edge was the best back last year. Whiz had a pissing match and nearly tanked the whole season because of it.

That wasn't a pissing match. That was edge being his typical self running off at the mouth claiming he didn't get the ball enough even though he sucked zzz when he did get it. Fumbled in key situations costing us a game, then subsequently missing an entire practice by not showing up with no excuse. Whiz made it very clear that is not acceptable and benches his azz as discipline.

Kudos to Whiz for doing that to edge. He deserved it and based on his play in the playoffs it was a welcome wake up call.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

WRONG. I'll sit back and let people voice their opinions all day long because that's what this forum is for. However, statements like this are ridiculous because statistics and facts can prove it wrong.

Edge, the supposed best RB last year, was God awful in the regular season. He average 53yds/game in the first seven games before losing the job to Hightower (7 games, 108 carries, 374 yds, 3 TD's, and a key lost fumble). The same game Edge got benched, Hightower ran for 110 yds and a TD and had a 30 yard run which Edge couldn't even come close to in his 3 years here. Was Hightower the answer? No, but he deserved the chance after Edge's dismal start and lack of productivity. Edge didn't produce until we got to the playoffs. And your theory that Whis "almost pissed away the season" because of a tiff with Edge is ridiculous as well. We basically wrapped up the division with our win at Seattle in week 11 and we were on cruise control from there on out.

Whis handled the situation perfectly. Edge didn't deserve squat -He was completely average, missed a practice, lost a key fumble (which probably was his ticket to the bench), voiced his displeasure publicly, and Hightower showed enough ability to take his job (Thorugh first 7 games - 6 TD's and more big play ability than Edge who had 3 TD's, 53yds/game, and a lost fumble).

People want the legacy and hard nosed football that Pittsburgh is all about. Whis was brought in for that reason and has instilled that mentallity. He holds players accountable and if they slip up while not producing then they'll hit the bench. I'm all for that and if it means he's an arrogant SOB then I enjoy having an arrogant head coach.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the entire BSP thing has been to push ML. Putting him in mid series last week was more grooming. BSP is a prop but Whiz needs to keep his word to him. I really don't think Whiz believes BSP is the answer.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think Matt not playing is actually more of a knock on BSP. Its Wiz saying "we know what we have in Matt"...he wants to give BSP a chance and is going to give him an extended look with the 1st and 2nd team and see if it makes a difference.

My guess is if BSP doesn't perform in this set-up, he's getting cut. In fact it might be happening in the 2nd preseason game to be fair to BSP and give him a chance to catch on somewhere else if it just doesn't work out this next game.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Heard the archived interview and that is exactly what he said.

Since Warner will be playing longer, that means BSP has to play later into the game, which means by the time Matt gets into the game it will be the bottom of the barrel players playing in the 4th quarter, meaning he doesnt want Matt to play with that and would rather risk Palko out there instead.

Its really very simple. Coach saw what Matt did after Warner, now he wants to see what BSP does after Warner. Equal opportunity to show something in similar circumstances. I actually see this as a positive to Matt, coach doesnt want to take the chance of him getting hurt, where as he wasnt willing to do that with BSP. Shows that its BSP who has to make that leap to #2 more so then Matt has to lose it, just like Urban and Sommers have been writting in their blogs, both ahve been saying all things equal Matt either has to fall on his face or BSP has to show his ability beyond a shadow of a doubt, meaning Matt has to show extrodinary suckitude and/or BSP has to show extrodinary skill for a change to be made. Urban and Somers are in the think of it and if thats what they feel they have to know something.

*sigh* Dammit Joe.
You must be registered for see images

This is what happens when you read pages 1 and 2 but not 3.