whiz on ktar right now

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I hope BSP fails miserably on Saturday. Whiz isn't as smart as everyone thinks. Don't let the 9-7 and subsequent Super Bowl fool you. His arrogance was an issue in Pittsburgh and it is an issue here.

:biglaugh:

Why even bother responding? There were likley people in LA who hated John Wooden too.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WRONG. I'll sit back and let people voice their opinions all day long because that's what this forum is for. However, statements like this are ridiculous because statistics and facts can prove it wrong.

Edge, the supposed best RB last year, was God awful in the regular season. He average 53yds/game in the first seven games before losing the job to Hightower (7 games, 108 carries, 374 yds, 3 TD's, and a key lost fumble). The same game Edge got benched, Hightower ran for 110 yds and a TD and had a 30 yard run which Edge couldn't even come close to in his 3 years here. Was Hightower the answer? No, but he deserved the chance after Edge's dismal start and lack of productivity. Edge didn't produce until we got to the playoffs. And your theory that Whis "almost pissed away the season" because of a tiff with Edge is ridiculous as well. We basically wrapped up the division with our win at Seattle in week 11 and we were on cruise control from there on out.

Whis handled the situation perfectly. Edge didn't deserve squat -He was completely average, missed a practice, lost a key fumble (which probably was his ticket to the bench), voiced his displeasure publicly, and Hightower showed enough ability to take his job (Thorugh first 7 games - 6 TD's and more big play ability than Edge who had 3 TD's, 53yds/game, and a lost fumble).

People want the legacy and hard nosed football that Pittsburgh is all about. Whis was brought in for that reason and has instilled that mentallity. He holds players accountable and if they slip up while not producing then they'll hit the bench. I'm all for that and if it means he's an arrogant SOB then I enjoy having an arrogant head coach.
WRONG. I'll sit back and let people voice their opinions all day long because that's what this forum is for. However, statements like this are ridiculous because statistics and facts can prove it wrong.

To say that Edge couldn't run for 30 yards is rediculous. His long was 35 LAST YEAR and Hightower's was 30. His average was 3.9 and he averaged 4.1 for his career. He gained 100 yards in week 1 and 17, before Whiz went idiotic on the offense and after. You lost all credibility with your statement that stats can back it up because they don't. Hightower averaged 2.8 per carry and lost two fumbles....You must have seen different games. Nice try though. I needed a good afternoon laugh.

Oh yeah..he misssed a practice because the mother of his children was dying, although that's p[robably not a good enough excuse fo you.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
To say that Edge couldn't run for 30 yards is rediculous. His long was 35 LAST YEAR. His average was 3.9 and he averaged 4.1 dfor his career. You lost all credibility with your statement that stats can back it up because they don't. Hightower averaged 2.8 per carry and lost two fumbles....You must have seen different games. Nice try though. I needed a good afternoon laugh.

He has run more then 30 yards 5 total times since he blew out his knee in 2001. Hardly something to make your case on bro.

Not sure why you use his career YPC. Whats does his running his first 6 or 7 yars have to do with his last 3 years?

And Hightowers YPC although still would be low you have to take into count all of the short yardage situations that he was asked to run, which does not lead to a good YPC. If you take away both players short yardage situations, James would ahve had a YPC of 4.0 and Hightower would have had 3.8.

Also during the NFL Championship celebration Wiz and James hugged each other while crying and James told coach Wiz, "Thank You". The did not leave on bad terms as individuals, Maybe with the org or the OC but not with coach Wiz.

Boldin's only beef with Wiz was he thought he should stay out of the negotiations, other then that Boldin has said he has no beef with Wiz, again its with the ORG. not Wiz.

Cant believe I am getting in on this debate, one started based on no actual factual info or just plain old lies.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
To say that Edge couldn't run for 30 yards is rediculous. His long was 35 LAST YEAR and Hightower's was 30. His average was 3.9 and he averaged 4.1 for his career. He gained 100 yards in week 1 and 17, before Whiz went idiotic on the offense and after. You lost all credibility with your statement that stats can back it up because they don't. Hightower averaged 2.8 per carry and lost two fumbles....You must have seen different games. Nice try though. I needed a good afternoon laugh.

Can you read? My post was referring to up until the point when Whis made the switch to Hightower. I clearly laid out the argument of why Whis made the switch which throws your propoganda out the window.

I'll try one more time for you - Through 7 games when Edge was starting, he averaged 53yds/game, 3.4yds/rush, had 3 TD's, and a lost fumble. To say those numbers, which fall inline with his pedestrian stats while in AZ, are worthy of keeping his starting job is ridiculous (not rediculous as you say). Hightower deserved the chance and proved it with his performance in week 8 against the Rams which gave Whis every right in the world to start him for more games. When Hightower underperformed, he reinserted Edge back into the lineup. Simple as that, there's no conspiracy theories here

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Oh yeah..he misssed a practice because the mother of his children was dying, although that's p[robably not a good enough excuse fo you.

The Edge should have made that known, but he didnt, so what else is the coach supposed to think. No one knew she was dying until it actually happened and thats the way Edge wanted it. Not even his teammates knew it. Also we dont know if that is why he missed the practice, that was a good 4 months before she became deathly ill.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey , I just want to remind a few of you, We ARE the NFC Conference Champions. Nothing is going to upset me.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hey , I just want to remind a few of you, We ARE the NFC Conference Champions. Nothing is going to upset me.

No kidding, much better to waste our energy bitching about our rapidly deteriorating NBA franchise...(paging AZ "Finest") :D

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
Fool us ?

The first playoff apperance in over 20 years ?

The first home playoff game in over 60 years ?

The first Super Bowl appearance ever ?

Maybe you should cut the guy a little slack.

AS for "hope to fail" ? What is this ? A GOP convention ?

Thanks Rugby. This team goes to the super bowl and the coach sucks. Go figure.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Thanks Rugby. This team goes to the super bowl and the coach sucks. Go figure.

He dosen't suck but there just isn't much to talk about at the moment.

It's odd for some of us to remember last year we were good, we went to the SB, this just hasn't sunk in for a lot yet, it still seems like a dream to me.

The only thing that makes it more real is that we lost it.

Whis is awesome, i don't think many people dispute that, but again if this is the worst thing people can think up to talk about him he's doing great.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tea Leaves...

At the tail end of Wiz's comments about QB's playing tonight, he indicated that Palko would play the 4Q. In early SD game advances by Somers, Urban etc., the impression I got was that Palko might not see any action at all. That he is now expected to play tonite may suggest that the competition may be wider open than the CW indicates.

Regarding southendzone's somewhat ascerbic comments about the supposed "arrogance" of Coach Wiz, my reaction was the same as many others:

WTF?

Wiz got his team to the Super Bowl. I think he's been a model for what to say when in front of a mike.

Can you provide a few examples of what you consider "arrogance?" Because I don't see it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
At the tail end of Wiz's comments about QB's playing tonight, he indicated that Palko would play the 4Q. In early SD game advances by Somers, Urban etc., the impression I got was that Palko might not see any action at all. That he is now expected to play tonite may suggest that the competition may be wider open than the CW indicates.

Regarding southendzone's somewhat ascerbic comments about the supposed "arrogance" of Coach Wiz, my reaction was the same as many others:

WTF?

Wiz got his team to the Super Bowl. I think he's been a model for what to say when in front of a mike.

Can you provide a few examples of what you consider "arrogance?" Because I don't see it.

What you see on TV may not be what others see away from the Cameras.

But I've met Whisenhunt and he isn't arrogant at all. He could still have some issues with players though as I've never seen a coach yet that didn't have favorites and other players that were always in his doghouse regardless of how they played on game day.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

WTF?

Someone is evidently confusing.... confidence and being self aware with arrogance.