Who will lead the Suns in scoring (2013/14)

Who will lead the Suns in scoring average during the 2013/14 season?

• Shannon Brown

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Channing Frye

• Marcin Gortat

• Marcus Morris

• Markieff Morris

• PJ Tucker

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who will be the Suns' leading scorer this coming season? (Must play at least 50% of games to qualify). Also try to predict his scoring average.

Last year's poll results:

1. Michael Beasley
2. Goran Dragic
3. Marcin Gortat

Actual results:

1. Goran Dragic (14.7)
2. Luis Scola (12.8)
3. Marcin Gortat (11.1)

Beasley was 6th (10.1).

t0rchy

Reaction score
I'd say Eric Bledsoe. He will get a lot of minutes and plays to make the deal work or at least make it look like that). Plus: He is not the pass first kind of guy. Dragic will have to orchestrate the offense much more, which will leas to decreasing scoring numbers.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Bled will be trying to prove himself as "the man" now that he's a starter. I'm going with him.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think Dragic will score at the highest rate per minute but I expect Hornacek will keep his minutes fairly low - that's what I'd do, since there's nothing at stake. Bledsoe is a different story because its TBD how many minutes he can be effective. On a per game basis, I think they'll be neck and neck at around 14 points. If we're playing Gortat to win games he'd probably be around that or higher since we have few options in the half court. Minus Marcin, Markieff will be our best FC option with Len challenging him by years end - even so I don't think he'll be the scoring leader.
Marcus, Green and Goodwin can all score and I imagine they'll all be getting 10 points a game - Brown would too if he got the minutes but I don't expect that.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the norm and go with Len. I think Gortat will gone before January and then Len will be getting starters minutes and I think Hornacek is gonna try to feature him in the offense when we go into half court sets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted for Bledsoe hoping McDonough got it right.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Boy, I just don't understand the projections for Bledsoe. He's a nice pickup as a third guard -- the notion that he and Dragic can form a credible starting backcourt won't last 20 games -- but even when he was playing 25 minutes per game last January and February, he was averaging only 10-11 points.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I voted for Bledsoe hoping McDonough got it right.

Boy, I just don't understand the projections for Bledsoe. He's a nice pickup as a third guard -- the notion that he and Dragic can form a credible starting backcourt won't last 20 games -- but even when he was playing 25 minutes per game last January and February, he was averaging only 10-11 points.
I think most people who voted for Bledsoe are doing so out of sheer hope that he will blossom into an all-star level player like some predicted. This may not be a particularly likely scenario, but there is some potential for that to happen and people are betting on it because they want to believe. However, I would also wager that if there was some real money involved in this bet, he would have received much fewer votes.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

He will have a lot more chances to score himself here considering how little talent we have.

Gerald Green is a dark horse if he starts at the 3.

t0rchy

Reaction score
I think most people who voted for Bledsoe are doing so out of sheer hope that he will blossom into an all-star level player like some predicted. This may not be a particularly likely scenario, but there is some potential for that to happen and people are betting on it because they want to believe. However, I would also wager that if there was some real money involved in this bet, he would have received much fewer votes.

Eric Bledsoe does not have to play close to any kind of all star level to be scoring leader on this team...

Errntknght

Reaction score

What problems do you foresee with the two of them working together in the backcourt? Based on his experience playing with KJ and Stockton, Hornacek said he believes it will make the fastbreak better with two guards that can both handle the ball on the break. They can both move the ball upcourt fast on their own, too. They're both decent spot up shooters as well - Dragic's pctage on three's was low last year but it was over 40 when he was not closely guarded. With Bledsoe on the floor he figures to be open considerably more often.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
What problems do you foresee with the two of them working together in the backcourt? Based on his experience playing with KJ and Stockton, Hornacek said he believes it will make the fastbreak better with two guards that can both handle the ball on the break. They can both move the ball upcourt fast on their own, too. They're both decent spot up shooters as well - Dragic's pctage on three's was low last year but it was over 40 when he was not closely guarded. With Bledsoe on the floor he figures to be open considerably more often.

Bledsoe is undersized, as is Dragic if you move him to 2. In all fairness, both of them are decent defenders, but both are undersized.
Neither one of them is a great shooter (big difference between Dragic/ Bledsoe and Stockton/ Hornacek). I also don't see Bledsoe as a point guard, but as a severely undersized SG that can't really shoot all that well.

If Dragic can guard SGs, and can become a better shooter, it may very well work, but that's an awful lot of "ifs".
The only way I see this working is if they (especially Dragic) find a way to improve their long-range shooting by 10%. Having said that, judging anything based on next year will be meaningless, as there is no shooting on this team, there is no presence in the low post, there is no real shooting guard on the team. Regardless of how it turns out, I really won't trust the results.

Don't get me wrong- I like both of them, and I disagree with Eric's "doom and gloom" prediction, but Dragic and Bledsoe are not Stockton and Hornacek. Hell, both of them combined are not a player Stockton was. My post is not intended as a "This will not work" statement, but simply an attempt to set proper and realistic expectations. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if it works or not. Both of them are assets that can be traded for some value, and neither of them is a franchise player. I am excited to see how it turns out though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one voted for Markieff Morris, I actually think he's the safest bet for high scorer. I voted for Goodwin, not because I believe it but simply because I could care less which of these guys leads in scoring. Unless of course, it turns out to be Goodwin. It's in our best interest for Goodwin, Bledsoe and Len to be our highest performers this season.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
Bledsoe is undersized, as is Dragic if you move him to 2. In all fairness, both of them are decent defenders, but both are undersized.
Neither one of them is a great shooter (big difference between Dragic/ Bledsoe and Stockton/ Hornacek). I also don't see Bledsoe as a point guard, but as a severely undersized SG that can't really shoot all that well.

If Dragic can guard SGs, and can become a better shooter, it may very well work, but that's an awful lot of "ifs".
The only way I see this working is if they (especially Dragic) find a way to improve their long-range shooting by 10%. Having said that, judging anything based on next year will be meaningless, as there is no shooting on this team, there is no presence in the low post, there is no real shooting guard on the team. Regardless of how it turns out, I really won't trust the results.

Don't get me wrong- I like both of them, and I disagree with Eric's "doom and gloom" prediction, but Dragic and Bledsoe are not Stockton and Hornacek. Hell, both of them combined are not a player Stockton was. My post is not intended as a "This will not work" statement, but simply an attempt to set proper and realistic expectations. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if it works or not. Both of them are assets that can be traded for some value, and neither of them is a franchise player. I am excited to see how it turns out though.

Hornacek addressed the question of the Dragic & Bledsoe combination being undersized. He said that he thought Bledsoe's strength and quickness would allow him to guard SGs that Dragic couldn't handle. He may be too optimistic but we shall see.

I agree that next year's results are not going to be very conclusive. What I'm looking for is proof of concepts - primarily that we can keep the running pressure on for entire games and that there are positive signs that we'll be able to defend and rebound well enough to fuel the fast break. Naturally, I would like to see evidence that McDonough was astute in his picks of Len and Goodwin and even in his choices of who he got in trades, secondary pieces though they may be. IMO, guys like Ish Smith, Plumlee and Kravtsov could all fit into Hornacek's team concept even though they are unlikely to ever become starters. There's even a possibility that Gerald Green will thrive in the fastbreak game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems to me the Suns are acquiring young athletic players and assets in the hope that can play fast break basketball which will entertain until they can assemble the right pieces that can be refined into a competitive basketball team.

This will take time, probably at least a couple of seasons, likely more, even if the Suns make the right moves. This is why I'm not terribly worried if Bledsoe or Goran can play well together in the backcourt. The Suns, as SirStefan32 suggests, do not have a SG on their roster nor any other proven position with the possible exception of Dragic at PG.

IMO, the Suns will be sifting through players until they find keepers to build a team around while still being an exciting team. Hopefully Dragic, Bledsoe, Len and Goodwin are these type players and maybe they find a surprise or two going forward, plus free agency and the draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Hornacek addressed the question of the Dragic & Bledsoe combination being undersized. He said that he thought Bledsoe's strength and quickness would allow him to guard SGs that Dragic couldn't handle.

But what's he going to say? "Um, yeah, our big-offseason acquisition is a redundant bench player, but, uh, you know, someone might get hurt, or maybe there will be a trade or something. And, you know, he's young and exciting, and we're happy to have him, even though it's not at all clear what his role will be." He's just trying to sell it.

You can't take anything any public figure says at face value. You have to ask what prompted them to say it and what their motivation is.

Errntknght

Reaction score
You can't take anything any public figure says at face value. You have to ask what prompted them to say it and what their motivation is.

I said that Hornacek's statement might be overly optimistic so your lecture is redundant though I'm inclined to think Jeff is less likely to spout pure spin than is your average public figure. My first thought and first utterance in here was that McDonough picked up Bledsoe as a crowd pleaser but when they revealed their plan to play old fashioned fastbreak basketball I saw more than that in it. His role is going to be to energize our defense - a key to playing the fastbreak game.

I don't think Mainstreet is right in his guess that the fastbreak is a short term ploy to entertain - though that wouldn't be a bad plan either. Every move that McD has made is consistent with putting together a team that lives and dies with the fastbreak. I don't disagree with Mainstreet about missing several pieces even if Len and Goodwin both pan out but I do believe the fastbreak style is here to stay. I believe it is a style that the players will thoroughly enjoy playing and that will appeal to many other players so we will be a desired destination again.

If all one's ever seen of uptempo basketball is D'Antoni's SSOL then one might think fastbreak basketball is just a gimmick but it is a style that has a history of success in the playoffs as well as the regular season.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I said that Hornacek's statement might be overly optimistic so your lecture is redundant

Apparently not. Being "optimistic" means actually believing in (overly) positive things. Making up a narrative so as to give them impression that all moves are consistent with a Master Plan is really not the same thing. One is naive, the other duplicitous.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Apparently not. Being "optimistic" means actually believing in (overly) positive things. Making up a narrative so as to give them impression that all moves are consistent with a Master Plan is really not the same thing. One is naive, the other duplicitous.

So call me naive. And when the experiment is done (assuming Hornacek controls Bledsoe's urge to show he's a star, which I believe Hornacek will) you'll also be able to call me correct.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said that Hornacek's statement might be overly optimistic so your lecture is redundant though I'm inclined to think Jeff is less likely to spout pure spin than is your average public figure. My first thought and first utterance in here was that McDonough picked up Bledsoe as a crowd pleaser but when they revealed their plan to play old fashioned fastbreak basketball I saw more than that in it. His role is going to be to energize our defense - a key to playing the fastbreak game.

I don't think Mainstreet is right in his guess that the fastbreak is a short term ploy to entertain - though that wouldn't be a bad plan either. Every move that McD has made is consistent with putting together a team that lives and dies with the fastbreak. I don't disagree with Mainstreet about missing several pieces even if Len and Goodwin both pan out but I do believe the fastbreak style is here to stay. I believe it is a style that the players will thoroughly enjoy playing and that will appeal to many other players so we will be a desired destination again.

If all one's ever seen of uptempo basketball is D'Antoni's SSOL then one might think fastbreak basketball is just a gimmick but it is a style that has a history of success in the playoffs as well as the regular season.

I do not think fast break basketball is a ploy. IMO, this is the identity the Suns want to establish. And if this style entertains the fans until they assemble the right group of players, I'm all for it. The question for me, can the Suns play defense while running this style.

I think the fatal flaw in SSOL ran by DA was a lack of consistent defense and being able to execute in the half court when need be. I do think, chosen carefully, offensive players can play defense.

Errntknght

Reaction score

I think you're confused - I was the one that said all the moves are consistent with a master plan not Hornacek and it was not based on a narrative from him or anything he said, either. Anyway, I hope you are not calling him a liar based on what I said he said - improbable as it seems I might have mangled his words. I suppose you are not basing it on anything he said or that I said, it is simply your view of the world. Heck, even if Bledsoe proved to be capable of guarding SGs I imagine you'd still believe Jeff was lying.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think you're confused - I was the one that said all the moves are consistent with a master plan not Hornacek and it was not based on a narrative from him or anything he said, either. Anyway, I hope you are not calling him a liar based on what I said he said - improbable as it seems I might have mangled his words. I suppose you are not basing it on anything he said or that I said, it is simply your view of the world. Heck, even if Bledsoe proved to be capable of guarding SGs I imagine you'd still believe Jeff was lying.

I'm not calling him a liar. It seems that we have much different takes on how to read the statements of public figures. If you want to frame it as "my view of the world," I guess that's your prerogative. Yes, my "view of the world" does include recognizing that public figures don't make it far in any field unless they learn quickly how to modulate everything they say according to the situation.

Look me up when Bledsoe proves to be a poor man's Ben Gordon and everyone is gnashing their teeth about how he's not living up to his potential.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
It reminds me of a joke I heard once: What is the difference PR and BS? . . . Spelling.

Hornaceck is part of the public face of a company that is selling a product. Of course he is going to spin everything in a postive light for the Suns organization. Since the Suns don't have a starting quality SG, the front office is virtually obigated to claim that Dragic and Bledsoe can play in the backcourt together successfully.

I think that Eric's prediction of Bledsoe being a poor man's Ben Gordon is a little overly pessimistic; but only by a little. Bledsoe shows flashes of greatness, but he is still an undersized guard who has not demostrated an ability to run a team. I'd be OK if Bledsoe had stats in Phoenix like Gordon had in Chicago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake