Who will you be watching this year?

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from the rookies and Carson Palmer, who I'm sure we all plan to be paying extra attention to, who are you excited to see get on the field this preseason/season?

I've been going through a lot of highlight reels getting myself excited for this coming season. Watching em, I came across a few players that had breakout years, or looked like they could this year and I'm excited to see what they do.

Andre Roberts was our most popular WR on the 2012 highlights, he had a great year last year. I thought he was a waste of roster space until last year when he completely changed my mind. I'm not sure what happened, but he really elevated his game. Everything about his game improved and I am excited to see him with a consistent QB

Rashad Johnson. Another one that I thought really grew last year. He wasn't in as much of the highlights as the legend he's replacing, but that's the life of AW's replacement.

Michael Floyd. Another WR I'd like to see have a shot with a real QB. He had high expectations, but a WR can only do so much when he barely plays and every week it's a new guy taking snaps. He was a big name coming out of college, but didn't do much last year. But when Larry Fitzgerald only gets about 800 yards, there's too many problems getting the ball to receivers

Levi Brown. Now that he's not playing for a contract and coming off his first major injury, I'm curious how he comes out. Is he the guy we last saw at the end of '11? Or is he the turnstyle we saw the rest of his career?

Ryan Williams. I had very high hopes for the kid when we took him, and he looked like he wouldn't disappoint that preseason. Then he missed a season with a very uncommon injury. So I had hoped he would recover and impress year 2. Nope. Another freak injury putting him out for the season. But not before raising fumble concerns. I think this season is his last shot at starting here, and probably for playing here in general. Another big injury and he's gone. Fumble problems and he either drops on down the depth chart, or he's gone. I hope to see him come out with something to prove and finally play like I hoped in year 1

Acho and Schofield. Lumped em together because they're the same exact reasons. They've both shown brief glimpses of great potential. But they've both looked like they didn't belong on the field other times. With the addition of Okafor, I expect them to play harder to compete for their jobs. Would be awesome to see them step it up and Okafor be an immediate impact as well. Rotating 3 good pass rushers would be an awesome position to be in. Keep em fresher and faster. Would be a great benefit. Also, I think if they don't do something this year, we replace one with Okafor and spend a decently high pick to replace the other in 2014. So I hope to see them play every down like it's the most important moment of their lives

HotSauce

Veteran
Reaction score
I thought Michael Floyd was the best WR in the draft last year and I hate to be wrong. So I'll be looking at Floyd.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Carson Palmer obviously. Also Jonathan Cooper!

On defense, the new guys Minter, Mathieu and Okeafor.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice writeup Brandon. I think this year I'll be focused on Michael Floyd and Carson Palmer. They are the ones with something to prove on offense. I hope Floyd can come into his own this year. And obviously Palmer, maybe we can have our first successful season out of the QB spot in a long time.

Defense wise, I'd like to see Patrick Peterson step up his coverage skills. I'd also like to see more production out of the OLB spots!

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
At least through preseason I'll be watching Ryan Swopes closely. I'd heard a little about the guy before we picked him, but what I saw was pretty exciting and so I was ecstatic when I heard we picked him. I think he could be a fantastic addition to the receiving corps particularly since we now have a QB who can take advantage of the skill we have there.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How about LaRon Byrd? He was great last preseason, hopefully he can recreate that and BA will give him a shot.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
For me its all on the offensive side. I can't wait to see a much improved oline & QB. Those will dramatically change everything. We should have a much better run game( a run game in az), Floyd should improve a lot, Housler.

I'm just excited.

The D will take a step back but the O should take 5 steps forward.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Jeff King.

He was hurt before the season, and came back right before the season and never looked like his old self. If he can be close to 100% going into this season I hope to see what we saw in 2010.

Nate Potter.

I am speculating that Cooper will be playing LG, and there will be a fierce competition for the right guard spot, and that Potter will be part of it.

Lorenzo Alexander.

Lot of hype around this guy, and I want to see what it is all about.

Matt Shaunessey

Like what I hear about him.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I won't be watching Floyd with any concerns because he is a stud and anyone who thinks differently has issues with him removed from the first round talent he brings to the table, he will have a good year. Look at his last game with a somewhat decent QB against a Niner defense, I have no room to imply doubts on the typical progression of most talented WRs in their rookie year...he has shown nothing to me to contemplate bust. Housler is the guy I will be watching, this is the guy who registers more hype in my head than production so far.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I beleive that we have enough player talent to have a good season , so my main focus will be observing how BA conducts his business as head coach . I think BA is going to be a winner in this league , and I'm anxious for him to prove me right .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My focus on offense will be the offensive line and on the defense my focus will be on the LBs.

OP
OP

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Aside from the rookies and Carson Palmer, who I'm sure we all plan to be paying extra attention to, who are you excited to see get on the field this preseason/season?

Carson Palmer obviously. Also Jonathan Cooper!

On defense, the new guys Minter, Mathieu and Okeafor.
lol,come on man. You're no fun...
Nice writeup Brandon. I think this year I'll be focused on Michael Floyd and Carson Palmer. They are the ones with something to prove on offense. I hope Floyd can come into his own this year. And obviously Palmer, maybe we can have our first successful season out of the QB spot in a long time.

Defense wise, I'd like to see Patrick Peterson step up his coverage skills. I'd also like to see more production out of the OLB spots!
did you not think he looked good last year? I watched a lot of him these past few days, mostly comparing him to Mathieu, and I thought he looked like a stud last year. Watching his "mic'd up" game vs Dez Bryant, he was DOMINANT. Ran entire routes closer to Bryant than his own shadow
How about LaRon Byrd? He was great last preseason, hopefully he can recreate that and BA will give him a shot.
I loved Byrd last year. Thought he was a tough, unafraid, big-bodied WR. He's going to have a tough time of it this year though. Unless he can switch position to TEor something. We've got a DEEP talent pool at WR with our starting 3 from last year clearly above him and Swope as a raw deep threat talent. Byrd has his work cut out for him, but I'd love to see him succeed. If for nothing else than to have another good player we got out of nothing we can deal (i.e. Jefferson)
For me its all on the offensive side. I can't wait to see a much improved oline & QB. Those will dramatically change everything. We should have a much better run game( a run game in az), Floyd should improve a lot, Housler.

I'm just excited.

The D will take a step back but the O should take 5 steps forward.
Great point. BA being a TE guy and Housler being a talented TE. I'm curious what'll happen now, especially with a real QB for the first time in Housler's career

I also agree with your last sentence. BUT, because of the O's huge improvement, the D should actually look better. In theory, the O will be able to control the clock much better, and not leave the D in terrible field position almost every possession. That should hopefully give the D more of an advantage than they had last year

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
did you not think he looked good last year? I watched a lot of him these past few days, mostly comparing him to Mathieu, and I thought he looked like a stud last year.
No one in their right mind would argue that PP21 wasn't good last year, but he still has a little more progression before he can be considered "elite" and I for one will be very curious to see if he makes that progression.

OP
OP

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No one in their right mind would argue that PP21 wasn't good last year, but he still has a little more progression before he can be considered "elite" and I for one will be very curious to see if he makes that progression.

there were a lot of members saying that he was disappointing last year (I think they were more mad about the punt returns though). However, I thought he improved immensely at CB from his rookie season, and fully expect him to get better still. He's a hard worker and a smart kid. Now with Mathieu here they can feed off each other. Can't wait to see what they do

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing of course the rookies and the whole offense. From the coaching staff on down. I want to see us score at least 25points a game. Both Floyd and Bobby Massie were really coming on late last year. I am hoping Levi Brown can stay healthy and do a solid job for us. I am hoping Jonathan Cooper, Alex Okafor and Kevin Minter win starting jobs right out of training camp and I am hoping Carson Palmer clicks with Fitz and really gets this offense moving quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05