• Houston

Votes: 27 39.1%
  • Dallas

Votes: 42 60.9%

• Total voters

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I bring this up because both teams pose threats in different ways.

Dallas can score quite a few points but our players match up with them a lot better. Marion has always done well against Dirk, Amare would fair well against either Dampier or Dirk (if we go bigger). Finley isn't what he used to be, but they are still a tough team that can run up and down the floor.

Houston has a bonified superstar in Mcgrady that can take over games and the "Great Wall of China" in the middle. The Rockets slow it down per Van Gundy style, and have a strong enough defense to potentially slow us down. However, I think we can take Yao out of much of the series because of his lack of stamina (as seen in the 4 games we played against them this year), but his size still poses a strong threat.

It's a tough call, but for some reason I think I would rather face Dallas because of the individual matchups. I don't think they have the heart and mental toughness to take it to the next level, and I think they could be handled fairly easily. Houston, if given momentum, I think can be a very tough team especially when T-Mac is hitting his shots.

It's a toss up though, so you guys decide.

fordronken

Reaction score
I just don't think Avery Johnson has the experience to match up against this type of an extremely efficient and unconventional offense.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I would take Dallas. Houston has got the look of an extremly dangerous team right now. I think we could sweep Dallas. :D

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I take Dallas.

1. Ming frustrates Amare, gets him to commit offensive fouls.
2. McGrady can just go off, and when he does, no one can stop him.
3. Dallas doesn't have a defensive answer for Amare
or Steve,
or Shawn.
4. Dallas has a rookie coach who I do not believe will do well against the Suns.

The way we're playing right now--its a moot point. We'll beat either team.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
While I voted Dallas, as they would be an easier matchup (although still very diffucult) I want to play the Rockets.

If this really is the Suns year, I want them to beat Houston, San Antonio, and then Detroit.

A championship really wouldnt feel complete without beating these teams, ESPECIALLY San Antonio.

It would only seem right for the Suns and Spurs to meet in the confrence finals. Same with Detroit and Miami.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect that the Suns will end up meeting the Mavs. Going into that series I picked the Mavs to win and now they appear to be on their way.
They did not look comfortable in their first two games, but took two crucial games in Houston.

BTW, the fact that the Rockets have done well against Amare is not as big a deal as it might seem. The Grizzlies held Amare to an average of 13 points over the three last games of the season and first game in the playoffs. He averaged over 30 in the last two. Amare can make more adjustments than the opposing defender, even as tall as Yal.

fordronken

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I suspect that the Suns will end up meeting the Mavs. Going into that series I picked the Mavs to win and now they appear to be on their way.
They did not look comfortable in their first two games, but took two crucial games in Houston.

BTW, the fact that the Rockets have done well against Amare is not as big a deal as it might seem. The Grizzlies held Amare to an average of 13 points over the three last games of the season and first game in the playoffs. He averaged over 30 in the last two. Amare can make more adjustments than the opposing defender, even as tall as Yal.

Nowitzki still hasn't looked good at all this series. The defense is really keying on him and he isn't handling it well.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I vote Houston.

The thing with Dallas is, they would attack Steve Nash with laser-like focus. They've got a scorer at PG in Terry, and there's nobody else in their rotation for Nash to guard. They'll just run Nash off picks all day, and use that to get open shots for everybody else...and Finley in particular doesn't seem to miss at AWA.

Houston is going to go after Amare if they meet the Suns-- they'll put Yao and Mutombo on him to shut him down in the paint, post those guys on offense and use them to screen for McGrady.

The thing with Amare is that he learns and grows while you're watching--I get the feeling he would be dominating as usual by the end of that series. (Also, the team is able to win games without his contributions a little better.) Nash is fragile and not especially resilient, so the less energy he has to expend in the second round, the better the Suns will play down the road.

The good news for me is that the Suns look better than both teams. For Dallas, in particular, the real test with the Rockets is in games where the officials refuse to call fouls on Yao, which has only happened once so far, with the Mavericks losing at home. I like the way the Rockets seem to choke down the stretch, though. :thumbup:

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Both would be nice series but Dallas would be more exciting due to sub-plots...

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i voted houston, because as much as i hate to admit it, i agree with barkley. the suns biggest threats will be the teams that are able to score with them. houston has 2 guys, and i think in the long run, despite their other shooters, we will be able to figure them out. also, keep in mind that yao is going to get winded early and often.

with the mavs, every game will be close, because we WILL NOT be able to blow them out. then, it'll be about executing in the last 2 min. this is something we can do, but i'd rather not cut it that close.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Scott Bordow was on AM 1060 and said privately that the Suns would rather face the Houston Rockets as they believe Dallas has too many weapons

They believe they can run past the Rockets, as the Rockets have only two big time offensive weapons.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Scott Bordow was on AM 1060 and said privately that the Suns would rather face the Houston Rockets as they believe Dallas has too many weapons

They believe they can run past the Rockets, as the Rockets have only two big time offensive weapons.

I preached that line in the beginning of the playoffs.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I picked Houston. I wouldn't even consider Yao a big threat but at his size he's going to score. Memphis had 1 of the top defensive teams and the Suns did better than they did all season... not enough weapons for Houston. I also think JJ outside of Bowen will be the toughest challenge for McGrady and then Marion probably his next toughest. Richardson and Jackson have size at the position as well. With all 4 spending time on McGrady, McCarty can get a few more minutes at the 4 and of all the games I watched this year (all but 4-5 that I never got to see in time but I soon will see a few with long break)... Ming and Swift were Amare Stoudemire's toughest match-ups and he just dominated Swift in the last series. Stoudemire scored on Duncan very easy, although that team (Spurs) will be a challenge obviously.

Not enough weapons...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I preached that line in the beginning of the playoffs.

same here. The Phoenix Suns also have two very good defensive players who can go against Tracy McGrady in Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson. I'm hoping Houston will find a way to pullout a victory, but I think it's over in a couple days.

I'm sure a Phoenix-Dallas match up will be very, very exciting though.

Joe Mama

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I picked Houston. Watching both these teams in the playoffs I don't think Houston is as good as the local media has told the Suns fans to think they are, they have 2 players sometimes. In a series I think Nash would pick them apart and they are too reliant on 1 great jump shooter

Dallas is a weaker version of the Suns with no inside presence. Amare will mop the floor with the Phoenix fan favorite big money/ no game Dampier. (Come on I know you all wanted him)

I think a healthy Phoenix should take both these teams. But I can see how Dallas would be the best matchup

San Antonio is the one I worry about.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I don't care at all who we play. Either will present an extremely easy series win compared to a San Antonio series. I wouldn't be any happier with a loss to the Spurs in the western conference finals than a loss to who ever in the next round.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Dallas, and here is why, Marion does a real nice job on Dirk, Dampier will get eaten alive by Amare, and there is no one else on that team that scares me, and they will be tired after this Houston series and we should be able to run them out of the building. One thing I think alot of people fail to recognize is the fact that these teams are going to get tired playing the Suns in a 7 game series. Yeah there have been a few teams come in and beable to keep up with the Suns for a game but having to play this team game after game in a 7 game series is going to prove to be to much for these other teams to handle, especially as the playoffs wear on...

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dallas would be good. The Nash story. Cuban vs Sarver. Run and gun. Doesn't get any better than that.

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
I vote Houston. We can outrun and outgun them. Yao will get his points but we have more weapons. Just need to focus on McGrady and we should be fine. Had the question read which team would make a better series I would have voted Dallas because they match up better and there is a lot of history between the players. I would love to hear ole-whats his rich owner- complain about the suns kicking thier butts though!

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
I have changed my mind. I want Dallas to win because I am starting to get really bored waiting for the next Suns game. Also, it would be great seeing Nash defeat Cuban's Mavs.

jibikao

Reaction score
I chose Dallas not because I think Dallas is a weaker team than Rocket.

In terms of matchup, I think we match up better. We need Amare to draw double team so that our shooters have more open space.

I've seen quite a few Rocket VS Dallas games. Dallas' perimeter defense can collapse sometimes especially if the guards try to help inside to guard Yao. This is an advantage for us because none of Mavs players can guard Amare one-on-one and this also means they'll double team Amare and it's a good news. :)

Mavs will be tough to guard but we are not a defensive team anyway. Our goal is to out score them. :)

And of course, it looks better on the news paper: Nash VS Dirk ; Nash VS Cuban

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05