Why a QB can make some mistakes and a kicker cannot

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Guys,

Reasons why a back up QB is ALLOWED to make some mistakes
1) He touches the ball 50 times
2) reads blitz and leads the offense
3) He is a BACKUP QB. He is not paid a Brady, Leinart or Peyton money and he is playing with one hand. Kurt is still the best backup in the game.

Kicker should not miss a 32 yard field goal because
1) Thats his only freakin job. It was OK when he missed a 54 yarder against Washington. But how the heck does he miss a 32 yarder...

So, rather than just blaming Kurt for all of this, I think he gave us enough chances to win and the playcalling and the great kicker lost the game for us. I agree KW trew 2 INTs and a fumble. Also, I dont think Warner is great or anything, but what more can we expect from a backup QB?

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Guys,

3) He is a BACKUP QB. He is not paid a Brady, Leinart or Peyton money and he is playing with one hand. Kurt is still the best backup in the game.

1) Thats his only freakin job. It was OK when he missed a 54 yarder against Washington. But how the heck does he miss a 32 yarder...

So, rather than just blaming Kurt for all of this, I think he gave us enough chances to win and the playcalling and the great kicker lost the game for us. I agree KW trew 2 INTs and a fumble. Also, I dont think Warner is great or anything, but what more can we expect from a backup QB?

Jay Feeley has made a game against the Pats. I think Kurt would turn it over 15 times. Just sayin.

OP
OP
D

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Have you followed AJs career before?? He always plays one great game and follows up with 5 bad games. I am not saying Kurt is great or anything,but there is a reason why these guys (KW and AJ) are both backups rather than being starters...

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Have you followed AJs career before?? He always plays one great game and follows up with 5 bad games. I am not saying Kurt is great or anything,but there is a reason why these guys (KW and AJ) are both backups rather than being starters...

You make a valid point. Kurt lost the job for a reason. It rears its ugly head all too often.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Good point.
Let me remind you that Rackers MISSED AN EXTRA POINT against the Redskins that force us to go for a 2 point conversion at the end of the game when a extra point would have tied it. His missed extra point change the whole dynamics of the last minutes of that game.
Rackers is ruined. We should sign another kicker tomorrow. Somebosy has got to have a decent placekicker on their practice squad that we could sign. Either that or we should just never attempt another fg that has any meaning.

OP
OP
D

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Why not Vanderjagt??? Can he do any worse than Rackers??? Isnt he the kicker with the best %??

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
i seriously want rackers gone. i dont care if the kicker we bring in isn't historically as good. rackers will never make the kick that matters in a cards uni. ever.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i seriously want rackers gone. i dont care if the kicker we bring in isn't historically as good. rackers will never make the kick that matters in a cards uni. ever.

I agree.

As Yogi Lombardi once said "90% of kicking is half mental".

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
wow i just saw the replay of the 32 yard try. wow. he toe poked it or something. what a scrub.

rackers SUUUUUCKS

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somebody has to have a decent placekicker on their practice squad. Go out and get one and bring him in. God knows it can't hurt any worse.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Y'know, when you take a step back and look at what Warner's done this year, he's the 7th rated qb in the league and if Rackers makes two kicks, the Card's are 4-1 with Warner as the starter. He may not be great, but he's more than "just a backup".

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Y'know, when you take a step back and look at what Warner's done this year, he's the 7th rated qb in the league and if Rackers makes two kicks, the Card's are 4-1 with Warner as the starter. He may not be great, but he's more than "just a backup".

Can we get a smiley for jock sniffing? :D

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Can we get a smiley for jock sniffing?
I think Card's fans are much happier being losers. There was hardly any talk on the board last week when everything was looking good.

Let me put this in terms that everyone will be happy with:

Rackers, Warner, Edgerrin, the o-line, Fitz, Rolle, the Bidwills, Pope, Grimm, Brown and Barr all SUCK! Graves is an idiot and should be fired and this team is jinxed. Someone just sticky that for me and lock all of the other threads. This is all that needs to be said. Just bump it after every loss.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think Card's fans are much happier being losers. There was hardly any talk on the board last week when everything was looking good.

Let me put this in terms that everyone will be happy with:

Rackers, Warner, Edgerrin, the o-line, Fitz, Rolle, the Bidwills, Pope, Grimm, Brown and Barr all SUCK! Graves is an idiot and should be fired and this team is jinxed. Someone just sticky that for me and lock all of the other threads. This is all that needs to be said. Just bump it after every loss.

That's the case everywhere with every team. For instance the calls to the talk shows here in Austin drop off substantially after Texas wins.

When you need to be concerned is when nobody talks about your team even when they lose. I've seen that happen here in Austin when Mackovic was coach and in Arizona under a couple of Cardinal coaches.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner threw for 484 yards yesterday. I don't blame him not ONE bit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

in 5 starts, Warner's had 10 turnovers to 9 TDs - those are backup numbers. You can play woulda, coulda, shoulda, but when you're one of the main reasons you're team is down 19-6 going into the fourth quarter of one game (Skins - pick 6 six, fumbling at their 20, and another interception) and you've helped (along with everyone else) allow a team on an 8-game slide to even be within striking distance of you, much less tied, you're part of the problem, along with that idiot kicker.

The guy just makes more killer mistakes than he does good plays. He's a tease. That means he's a backup on any team that has playoff hopes. Period.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
The guy just makes more killer mistakes than he does good plays. He's a tease. That means he's a backup on any team that has playoff hopes. Period.

Well... he's a backup on this team. Let's not forget our starter is out for the season. Personally I'm glad we have Warner as the #2 guy - could be much worse.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
in 5 starts, Warner's had 10 turnovers to 9 TDs - those are backup numbers.

So, looking at TD:TO ratio, what really constitutes "backup numbers"? I looked at the 35 guys who are currently qualified for the passing title just to see what the benchmarks really are. (Counting rushing TDs plus passing TDs, and lost fumbles plus INTs)

14 of them had better ratios than Warner. 20 were worse. So, middling. Middle of the road is just about a 1:1 ratio. Admittedly, most of those higher on the list are playing for teams that are solid playoff contenders, while the guys below him are not, which does speak well for the importance of the stat.

What about on teams in situations similar to the Cards? I count 15 teams who either have the Cards exact record, or are one game off. Those 15 teams have 15 QBs on the list; Warner's rate is better than 12 of the 15.

Make of that what you will; I'm not really hoping to convince you of anything, just to provide some context for the numbers you keep bringing up.

Of course, I do think you're leaning too heavily on this one stat... it's the only one I've seen you bring up in this context, and one stat does not provide the entire picture. I could point at yards per attempt and argue about why it provides a very good quick picture of a passer's effectiveness, but a better picture can be achieved by looking at multiple stats anyway.