Why D'Antoni went to New York?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Stephen A Smith was on Colin Cowherd today saying that Lebron James is a lock for New York now in 2010. He spoke of the marketing opportunities in New York and how Lebron had the coach he wanted to play for, one who would let his game flourish in the open court.

I will admit that I will be very annoyed if Lebron goes to New York to play for D'Antoni when he could have done that here with the exact kind of cap space.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all the years of journalists predicting players moving in free agency due to marketing opportunities, how many times has that actually happened? Besides which, James is so HUGE now, I can't imagine how he lacks marketing opportunities wherever he goes.

I'm guessing wherever he ends up it will be because of his own comfort zone and nothing else.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
LeBron is all but a lock to be a Knick in 2010. I think the entire basketball world expects it. No way Cleveland can keep him, they have proven unable to put any talent around him, and LeBron has zero chance at a title in Cleveland.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
That's why D'Antoni's move was brilliant. Everybody was myopic in believing that he just went for the money while arguing that his system will fail with the current roster. That wasn't the reason for him leaving.

With a new general manager, a new coach, and a lot of bums from their roster with contracts expiring the next couple of years, the Knicks will be poised for a turnaround and will most likely end up landing LeBron.

Who else in this league has been known for securing outlandish contracts for players other than the Knicks? New York has money.

All the while, the Suns franchise is now in disarray, looking for a coach and a barren coaching market, with fans already talking about blowing up this team within the next two seasons.

D'Antoni made the right move.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
LeBron is all but a lock to be a Knick in 2010. I think the entire basketball world expects it. No way Cleveland can keep him, they have proven unable to put any talent around him, and LeBron has zero chance at a title in Cleveland.
With three all-stars in Phonix, D'Antoni won how many titles?

Adding LeBron to the Knicks will bring them respectability during the long season. But, unless D'Antoni puts aside everything he's ever been taught and practiced, New York will be outrebounded, their starters will run out of steam, the opposition will get the calls and defense will be a once-in-awhile thing . . . and a title will still be evasive.

mack2323

Reaction score
The reason is New York resources. New York is willing to pay at any cost to make the team a contender. The team can form a contender team via trade base on the salary they have this coming season.

1. The Knicks can aquire Kobe ( only if he ask to be traded ) this season or Lebron the following season (will be forced to be traded if he treaten to opt out his contract the following season. If this happen they will still have contracts to be moved to aquire talents that fits the system.

2. Aquire Kobe (09) or Lebron (10) via free agency. This is may be good but they may not be a conterder for about 2 years because the Knicks have to clear out their payroll for cap purposes. If this happen the Knicks wont have assets or contracts to use to acquire talents for Kobe or Lebron.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
Lebron is also in line for 100 million from Nike if he signs with a large market city....hello New York. I felt this as soon as DA was said to be looking for a new job and even though it was reported he wanted the Bulls job, I knew he would be signing with NY. DA may be a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Another stupid rumor lol. If I had to bet I'd say Lebron joins the Nets in Brooklyn.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't Lebron go to Chicago then. Imagine the maretking Nike could do with that and the young team around him would be unstopable.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Lebron has the same marketing additions as Kobe does. When he signed with Nike, they said if he is able to get to New York, LA or Chicago, then his endorsement money gets a BIG hike. I think the main reason D'Antoni picked NY over Chicago is due to the free agents and cap space that will be available there in 2 years.

Now as far as Lebron choosing NY over Chicago in free agency (outside of coach) would be due to the number he wears. Lebron wears MJ's number, therefore LBJ would have to change his number if he were to go to Chicago. Although that wouldn't be all that bad as far as marketing and jersey sales to change his number, ala Kobe and Amare (although they stayed with the same team).

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
I have to think that going to NY so he can someday coach LeBron is a bit of a reach. But considering his option of staying in Phoenix and being under constant fire from within the organziation or going to the mangled front office of the Bulls, maybe this wasn't as bad a decision at it initially looked.

If nothing else, the Knicks are likely to be slightly more successful under D'Antoni and he loads of excuses for why they aren't a lot better. Having a shot at a superstar in couple of years might make it easier to deal with the bizzare lineup he's inherited, but I can't imagine it was a primary motivation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The endorsement dollars will follow Lebron if he stays in Cleveland, goes to NY or wherever. I would hope that Lebron goes where he thinks he can win. Because of if he goes to a city just because it's a bigger market team, that won't guarantee him winning there either.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
As much as we all want to believe that these superstar players are all about winning a championship....it's really all about the money. LBJ admitted that he wants to be the first billionaire sports figure. It's Show Me The Money to these guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You're right. That was a slam dunk before it happened. I always thought there might have been some tampering involved.

you also have to consider kobe bryant brokering his way to LA instead of playing for the hornets.

similarly with eli manning brokering his draft by the giants.

and you don't think rick fox's desire to be in film and his wife's LA-based job had anything to do with his signing with the lakers?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mike screwed up, should've gone to CHI they're getting a top 3 pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05