why don't the spurs do this to everyone???

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
i know the suns don't play defense, but why don't the spurs run more against other teams? they can do this to anyone, but they prefer to play slugball. this series is extremely aesthetically pleasing to watch, yet during the finals you'll see some of the most boring ball ever. why? they got such great athletes, i'd love to see them get out there and run.

also, the flip question can be asked. we have tremendous athletes that are all capable of good defense. why don't we do it? is it lack of experience? is it lack of desire? lack of energy because of the effort on offense? i have a hard time believing its beyond our capability.

the spurs are the ultimate chameleon, they'll play any style and win. amazing.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
playstation said:
i know the suns don't play defense, but why don't the spurs run more against other teams? they can do this to anyone, but they prefer to play slugball. this series is extremely aesthetically pleasing to watch, yet during the finals you'll see some of the most boring ball ever. why? they got such great athletes, i'd love to see them get out there and run.

also, the flip question can be asked. we have tremendous athletes that are all capable of good defense. why don't we do it? is it lack of experience? is it lack of desire? lack of energy because of the effort on offense? i have a hard time believing its beyond our capability.

the spurs are the ultimate chameleon, they'll play any style and win. amazing.

I strongly believe at some points they feel it would hinder the offense.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
clif said:
I strongly believe at some points they feel it would hinder the offense.

True...see my post on another thread about Steven Hunter. Brings defense and rebounds but seriously hinders our offense, ie, fumbles the ball, is in the wrong spots, doesn't move toward the basket.

I also heard comments about how Popovich will not sign any player who doesn't play great or good defense. IMO, offense can be learned, defense is attitude.

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
I also heard comments about how Popovich will not sign any player who doesn't play great or good defense. IMO, offense can be learned, defense is attitude.

funny, i have the exact opposite belief. although i can't think of anyone other than MJ who was great offensively and learned to be great defensively...

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
True...see my post on another thread about Steven Hunter. Brings defense and rebounds but seriously hinders our offense, ie, fumbles the ball, is in the wrong spots, doesn't move toward the basket.

Was Popo responsible for signing Glenn Robinson? He's never been a great or even good defensive player IMHO. I think that would be contradictory to that line of thinking.

Best wishes to him and his family, condolences on his loss. :(

King A

Registered
Reaction score
playstation said:
funny, i have the exact opposite belief. although i can't think of anyone other than MJ who was great offensively and learned to be great defensively...

how bout Kobe?

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
King A said:
how bout Kobe?

still have a hard time buying that one. play with shaq, your steals go up because you can take more chances. steals go up, all of a sudden you're all-nba defense. he's above average, but hard for me to say any more

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Amare will conceed layup and dunks in order to avoid getting fouled. So will the whole team. D'Antoni preaches this. We are short on the bench so we can't foul. We don't have any physical players who rebound and block shots consistently. We don't have a perimeter shut down defender either or a quick back up point guard to take out Parker.

King A

Registered
Reaction score
playstation said:
still have a hard time buying that one. play with shaq, your steals go up because you can take more chances. steals go up, all of a sudden you're all-nba defense. he's above average, but hard for me to say any more

sure, but he guarded Kidd when kidd was with us and healthy. sure again kidd sucks in half court offense but still he managed to shut him down almost every game

jibikao

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Amare will conceed layup and dunks in order to avoid getting fouled. So will the whole team. D'Antoni preaches this. We are short on the bench so we can't foul. We don't have any physical players who rebound and block shots consistently. We don't have a perimeter shut down defender either or a quick back up point guard to take out Parker.

We are stuck in Amare's situation for now I think. It's too late to turn Amare into a defensive monster and we really can't afford him in foul trouble. I've already given up on Amare (and Nash's) defense at this point.

However, it doesn't mean we have no other guys to foul them. We still have Hunter and McCarty. McCarty should have fouled Parker when he was in the game. He just let Parker lay the ball up. If he is going to score 2, you might as well let him earn it on the line and put some pressure on him. I know Sonics did it to Parker.

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
jibikao said:
We are stuck in Amare's situation for now I think. It's too late to turn Amare into a defensive monster and we really can't afford him in foul trouble. I've already given up on Amare (and Nash's) defense at this point.

However, it doesn't mean we have no other guys to foul them. We still have Hunter and McCarty. McCarty should have fouled Parker when he was in the game. He just let Parker lay the ball up. If he is going to score 2, you might as well let him earn it on the line and put some pressure on him. I know Sonics did it to Parker.

this is a misnomer. d'antoni has everyone believing that if you make any effort to play defense the inevitable result is fouls (which if why you only need a couple stops in a game to win). if you work hard to get into position, you don't need to take swipes with your arms, and there shouldn't be any more fouling.

but its just hard to get the hunger to WANT to do it consistently, cause you give so much more effort to make the opponent shoot 3% worse. i say appeal to amare's ego. plant the seed in the media that amare can't play defense and have them run with it. when jordan heard that in the late 80's, he worked so hard he became the best in the league. the best are unstoppable on offense AND shutdown defenders. amare can be this, he just needs to understand how important it is.
i mean, he has accolades, popularity, recognition, and money right now. he won't win a title until he becomes that great defender, and maybe it'll take some failure for him to realize that. the good news is that he has the ability and the work ethic.

jibikao

Reaction score
playstation said:
this is a misnomer. d'antoni has everyone believing that if you make any effort to play defense the inevitable result is fouls (which if why you only need a couple stops in a game to win). if you work hard to get into position, you don't need to take swipes with your arms, and there shouldn't be any more fouling.

but its just hard to get the hunger to WANT to do it consistently, cause you give so much more effort to make the opponent shoot 3% worse. i say appeal to amare's ego. plant the seed in the media that amare can't play defense and have them run with it. when jordan heard that in the late 80's, he worked so hard he became the best in the league. the best are unstoppable on offense AND shutdown defenders. amare can be this, he just needs to understand how important it is.
i mean, he has accolades, popularity, recognition, and money right now. he won't win a title until he becomes that great defender, and maybe it'll take some failure for him to realize that. the good news is that he has the ability and the work ethic.

There is no doubt that Amare will become a better defender. Not Nash though. I just can't imagine Nash being a good defender. Just look at him... not athletic, no very quick and just not a very physical person to begin with. He may try to draw some charges but that's it.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PlayStation, I was saying the same thing earlier in the season about using the media to improve Amare's defense. I thought that is what it would take to get him to work hard on it. They talk about it in the games all the time. Charles Barkley has talked about it, and so have other national commentators and writers.

Amare's defense was flat out awful last night. He was weak on the boards, and he was constantly out of position or unwilling to step up to stop people going to the basket.

Joe Mama

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan