Why is everyone already in love with Hornacek?

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man was a great player. A classy guy. But everyone around here talks about him like he's the next coming or something.

Help me out here. I mean, he's never head coached at any level before, right? Just been an assistant for a couple of years? Why is it just assumed that he's a good coach?

I like the guy, and I hope he does well both for that and because I want the team to do well. But until he proves something he's just another ex-player, first year coach with no experience.

I've even seen people worried that he's so good that he'll cost us ping pong balls next year. What gives?

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is annointing him or anything. I think in the interviews thus far he comes off intelligent and seems to have a clear direction and plan in how he wants the team to play which is impressive. I was skeptical at first that he was just a PR hire. But everything I've seen so far suggests otherwise and I'm hopeful. I guess we'll see how it plays out on the court

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Jeff Hornacek the player and the person. However, I can only hope he will be a good NBA head coach.

The way I look at it, the Suns are hoping Hornacek and a young Suns team will grow together. I think the Suns want someone with values who has been a part of the Suns history to lead the way in this time of transition. I'm willing to give it a try, but I realize the end product is probably a few years down the road so I do not have lofty expectations. Hornacek may be the stepping stone to the future. After all, he learned from Cotton Fitzsimmons, coaches are hired to be fired.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope is free. We'll have plenty of time to turn against him once the season starts. As for costing us ping pong balls, what are the odds he'll be as bad as the interim coach he replaced?

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like Jeff Hornacek the player and the person. However, I can only hope he will be a good NBA head coach.

The way I look at it, the Suns are hoping Hornacek and a young Suns team will grow together. I think the Suns want someone with values who has been a part of the Suns history to lead the way in this time of transition. I'm willing to give it a try, but I realize the end product is probably a few years down the road so I do not have lofty expectations. Hornacek may be the stepping stone to the future. After all, he learned from Cotton Fitzsimmons, coaches are hired to be fired.
There is the key phrase. :thumbup:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hornacek learned under two coaching greats. He might prove the optimism wrong, but such is life. And I for one am not worried about him turning next years team into a 40 win squad, Red Auerbach could not drag this crew to a winning season. In the NBA talent trumps all and we sorely lack it.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm the one that was concerned that Hornacek will cost us ping pong balls. I still am though not to the point of fearing a 40 win season - under 25 is where we want to be for good position in the upcoming draft.

Of course, we'll have to see how Jeff performs as a head coach but, IMO, he's as close to a sure thing as a novice coach could be. When he started out with the Suns he was a heady, steady player and I figured then he'd make a good coach someday. I remember finding out his dad was a basketball coach and thinking he played the game like a coaches son - very likely thats what started me thinking he'd be a coach eventually.

Still its a complex job and we won't be satisfied if he's just a solid coach who's happy to make the playoffs - at least I won't be. I don't think McD will be either - coming from the Celtics he's almost certain to regard success as only being measured in the playoffs.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer the thread topic: Have you seen his pictures? He's so dreamy!

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
As coach of the Suns, Hornaceck has never pulled a hot player, let another team go on a big run without calling a timeout, overplayed an injured player, alientated his players, drawn up a bonehead play at the end of the game, or even lost a regular season game.
He is an unknown quantity, but he has not given fans any reason to dislike him yet. He played hard as a player and seems bright and affable. Like all coaches, he will develop detractors as soon as he does something that all the "experts" on the message boards disagree with. For right now there isn't much reason not to like him.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Because we're Suns fans, and he's a Sun. He may have played more games in a Utah uniform, but he's a Sun. Most were thrilled about the trade for Barkley but wished Hornacek could have been along for the ride. Many feel that he exhibited the qualities as a player that translate well to coaching, and point out that he learned from Cotton and Jerry Sloan as well as being a coach's son.

Mainly, it's just the story as a lot of us would write it. What happens on the court...we'll see. But I'm excited.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm optimistic with Horny as a HC,because i believe he has the knowledge in terms of X's and O's,has played the game at a high level,has worked and played for a couple very good coaches...

It has yet to be seen how he manages preparation,the game itself and the personalities of todays pro athletes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have more confidence in Horny as Head Coach than I would have had in Thunder Dan.

Dan is in a cushier situation. A college program on the rise vs. a pro team with nowhere to go but up, but without the horses to do it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hornacek is a coach's son who played the game the smartest way possible. It's not definitive of anything, but it's a good start if you're hoping to win the lottery on a risky hire.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Horny is a teacher. He seems to be perceptive and communicate well. He would be a very good college coach.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Does anyone seriously doubt that Hornacek is going to be a good NBA coach? Great is up in the air, of course, but right now I wouldn't trade him for any coach the Suns have ever had (in their prime, not their current state).

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I believe Horny is a teacher. He seems to be perceptive and communicate well. He would be a very good college coach.

This is what has me excited as well as his desire to instill confidence in the players to play fast and shoot when open.

Plus the connection to to the Suns history. Unlike the previous coach and GM, which I don't believe had much respect for the franchise and it's history, Hornacek has some regard and wants to carry the mantle of previous success and build on it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Plus the connection to to the Suns history. Unlike the previous coach and GM, which I don't believe had much respect for the franchise and it's history, Hornacek has some regard and wants to carry the mantle of previous success and build on it.

That makes it sound as though coaches or front-office people without a previous connection to the organization aren't motivated to do their best, which I think is very unlikely.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
That makes it sound as though coaches or front-office people without a previous connection to the organization aren't motivated to do their best, which I think is very unlikely.

I wasn't trying to say that at all.
I think they were motivated to do their best as they saw it but it wasn't a good fit and Hornacek is a better one.

I think Blanks and Hunter were trying to turn the Suns into the Pistons/Spurs type grind it out style and had very little regard for any success the Suns had enjoyed in the past. I think whatever Colangelo/Cotton culture that was still left had a clash with those guys because of that. Hornacek restores a connection to that culture and I think that is a plus for the team.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Living in Utah, I have heard of all the stories of Hornacek working with players on their shooting - raising their shooting percentage through his tutoring. I think that video last night showed us some of that with Archie Griffin.

But there is something to be said about the link to the past. The Suns had a very loyal following that had been spurned by the new owner. By hiring Hornacek, I see it as an acknowledgement on some level that Sarver is learning more about his fan base.

I hope Hornacek continues to teach and coach so his players to get the most out of their talent as he did his.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Hornacek continues to teach and coach so his players to get the most out of their talent as he did his.

Hey, TD, that signature quote was good for last year. This year? Not so much. We've risen from the ashes. We're on our way up from rock bottom.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake