Wide Receivers are Frustrated

pete

All Star
Reaction score
You could see it in their faces when they came off the field. One week McCown is throwing the ball at their feet, then the next he is throwing it 5 feet over their head. Granted, the wind was swirling around the stadium yesterday and I saw some passes from Warner sail high over in the NE corner too, but McCown seemed to have problems throwing the ball in just about any area of the stadium.

One thing I did notice as the players came onto the field for the second half is Boldin and King walking and throwing the ball together. You get the feeling if the WRs had their choice, King would be in there right now.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overthrowing Fitzgerald on that one play late in the game really was why it's frustrating with McCown in there right now.

I like the kid, he plays with heart and guts, but he's got to get on target with throws or we need someone who can.

Mike

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Overthrowing Fitzgerald on that one play late in the game really was why it's frustrating with McCown in there right now.

I like the kid, he plays with heart and guts, but he's got to get on target with throws or we need someone who can.

Mike
That was really bad. You don't get much more wide open than that! I'm not sure what I was more pissed at, that poor pass or Karl Williams dropping that long pass that would have been good for a first down.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
What a difference...

...watching Tom Brady have all day to throw and Josh being surprised when, occaisonally, he does have time to throw and a receiver open.

That being said, Josh missed three big throws, a short in-route to Q for a sure TD, that long throw to Fitz for a big gain (maybe TD), and a sure 1st down and big game to BJ.

All three things have to happen; OL protects, Receiver open, and Josh delivering the air-mail.

Jaccoob

Cardinal Lunatic
Reaction score
The dropped ball wasnt all Karl's fault...he did have to readjust and reach behind him for the catch....not a easy catch to make..if eh would have been lead i think he would have made it

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaccoob said:
The dropped ball wasnt all Karl's fault...he did have to readjust and reach behind him for the catch....not a easy catch to make..if eh would have been lead i think he would have made it

Yeah but at that point in the game that drop was huge.Wasn't an ideal throw but you have to catch it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jaccoob said:
The ball was thown slightly behind him, but he has to make that catch. From where I was sitting it looked like he had both hands on the ball and just dropped it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Redheart said:
...watching Tom Brady have all day to throw and Josh being surprised when, occaisonally, he does have time to throw and a receiver open.

That being said, Josh missed three big throws, a short in-route to Q for a sure TD, that long throw to Fitz for a big gain (maybe TD), and a sure 1st down and big game to BJ.

All three things have to happen; OL protects, Receiver open, and Josh delivering the air-mail.

Growing pains - for us. We lose that Miami game and this one is insignificant.

It hurts to see him sometimes. Esp. since in a game like Atl. he lit it up so well. 13 compl. in a row - many downfield. :shrug:

chickenhead

Reaction score
It's frustrating to watch, too. I really want to see our receivers stretch their legs. ...Though it has been great watching the defense come through.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
chickenhead said:
It's frustrating to watch, too. I really want to see our receivers stretch their legs. ...Though it has been great watching the defense come through.

I read the gameday thread this morning (talk about your long threads) and someone in there said that the NY radio guys were saying "McCown looks down one WR on every play" or something like that, got posted 2-3 times so I assume they were saying it. Then several guys posted that Pasch said McCown was tipping run plays by patting his butt on the left or right depending on which side we were going to run to. Gotta admit I didn't notice it and I was watching early after the talk he was tipping the snap against Buffalo.

I do think that there's something to that staring down in that it makes it much easier on the defense to figure out where the ball is going, and makes it much harder on the WR's when they're not the guy he's looking at since they may be open.

I do agree there is frustration at WR you could see it on Quan's face on that ball in the endzone where Josh threw a bullet instead of lofting it and letting Quan outjump the 3-4 in shorter man, you could just see it on Quan's face that he was mad first at no call for PI, and second that the ball wasn't thrown up higher.

Great win but I'm with others, we can't keep expecting to win with 90 yard passing days we're going to have to step it up there soon.

God it's great to be 4-5 though, I really got scared when it looked like we jumped on that last GIants play, got back but you never know if they're going to call it or not.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You don't think

McCown is frustrated? Gimme a break. I think he was blown away with the Fitz throw and couldn't believe he was that open. The Williams pass, if he had to reach way behind him stop and go back to the ball, i'd give it to you. that one is all Williams. The B.J. one I didn't see. The Boldin one was a rocket. There were alot of could have been plays in that game that didn't have anything to do with McCown. Is he missing some people, yup, wide open at that. BUT, no turn overs, sacked once. Could have been sacked four times, at least. Bottom line, he managed the game, didn't lose it for us, and WE WON!! King is NOT going to start as long as Josh 1) makes plays when we need them (he does), 2) doesn't turn it over ( he doesn't) and 3) doesn't fumble. I didn't hear anything about frustarted receivers when he hit 13 in a row and spread it around. I'm just not buying into this one.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What struck me - particularly on the first drive or two - was how tight the Giant coverage was. Even McCown's completions were with a razor thin margin for error.

Those of you at the game (who could see the entire field) - were our receivers wide open very often?

One final point - sometimes when something doesn't work...it works! Time after time, Dennis would have McCown throw long. Invariably the pass would fall incomplete. But we did force enough penalties to make doing this worthwhile.

Coughlin wondered aloud after the game whether all those penalties were due to mental errors or whether the Giants were "pushing it" due to being physically outmatched by our wideouts? I suspect that Green's "going vertical" so often may have forced some of those flags.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
What struck me - particularly on the first drive or two - was how tight the Giant coverage was. Even McCown's completions were with a razor thin margin for error.

Those of you at the game (who could see the entire field) - were our receivers wide open very open?

One final point - sometimes when something doesn't work...it works! Time after time, Dennis would have McCown throw long. Invariably the pass would fall incomplete. But we did force enough penalties to make doing this worthwhile.

Coughlin wondered aloud after the game whether all those penalties were due to mental errors or whether the Giants were "pushing it" due to being physically outmatched by our wideouts? I suspect that Green's "going vertical" so often may have forced some of those flags.

I caught the pregame with Pasch and Mistler before going to watch the game and they were talking about how physical the Giant DB's were and how Boldin was talking all week about how they push and hold downfield and get away with it.

Quan was trying to get a flag on that one ball in the endzone I think first quarter, if the ball had been up higher I think the penalty would have been more apparent there was clearly some contact.

I do think there's SOME frustration, the whole NFL is on fire with TD passes, Manning has 31 already, and we've got 6 in 9 games so I'm sure the WR's are noticing, but as long as we win I don't think it's going to boil over and become a problem.

Part of it is of course Emmitt has been so effective near the goalline, there are only 5 RB"s in the entire NFL with more rushing TD's than Emmitt this year!

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I should think the WRs would be more frustrated had they lost the game, no?!?

chickenhead

Reaction score
Some good contrary points, and to a certain extent I have to defer to those at the actual game. It just looked like McCown took almost no time to read the defense, and with a WR set like we have, that's just wasting a lot of options. However, he doesn't get all that much time, and on TV it's hard to see the receivers until the ball is thrown, obviously.

seesred

Reaction score
The biggest penalty of the game came on a long Josh pass on the left side that ended in a first and goal because of holding . That was all Josh. It doesn't show in the stats but he made that happen. Wide outs were pretty much covered. On top of all this for the most part Josh had less than 3 sec to get a pass away. Some of our offense or lack of belongs to Josh, but for the most part it belongs to the O-line. They appear to open some holes for the backs, but give little or no time in pass blocking.

The biggest bad pass of the day was when LF was wide open flying down the right line and Josh over threw the ball., On that pass Josh had plenty of time. I would suggest when he saw Larry open he was shocked, then he looked around and no one was near him double shock, so he let it fly! There was at least two dropped passes and Fred Jones has to get open for this whole thing to happen. I like Josh and don't think any of our current QB's can do it any better with as much upside. When we scored in the third quarter Josh was the most excioted guy on the field you could see his enthusasim from any place in Sun Devil!

GBR

Beat Carolina

OP
OP
P

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Part of it is of course Emmitt has been so effective near the goalline, there are only 5 RB"s in the entire NFL with more rushing TD's than Emmitt this year!

Smith is on pace for around 15 TDs and over 1000 yards. Of course, he did it all by himself and the Card O line sucks. :doi:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pete said:
Smith is on pace for around 15 TDs and over 1000 yards. Of course, he did it all by himself and the Card O line sucks. :doi:

Well neither of those TD runs were gimmes, he's had maybe 1-2 walk in TD's all year. When he gets close he just has a knack for getting in, always has had it.

I think this OL is pretty good run blocking, I think the problem is pass blocking and now we're seeing teams stacking the line a bit more often to force us to pass. Emmitt has been terrific but there's no question his lack of speed has hurt us at times. He had 2-3 runs again yesterday where he had a hole or made a guy miss but got caught behind by a DL or LB who didn't really have an angle. If we had a RB with some speed we could really break some long runs when they have the line stacked and Big and Wells blow off the ball, they all seem to be to the left.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Jaccoob said:
As a rule, if the ball hits both hands, which it did, the receiver needs to catch it. It definately wasn't a very good pass but Williams should have caught it.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I have been as big a JM fan as anyone here and I think he still should be in there but at the game yesterday JM could not seem to get in any kind of rythem. He overthrew alot of passes when he had time to throw. He may be hearing footsteps now because of the beating he has taken in the first half of the year. The receivers dropped some balls but all and all they have to be frustrated. I think MCcown is frustrated also. The coaches made some really bad play calling or we might have blown the game open late. I think we will take a Win anyway we can get it but it would be nice to have a consistant offense. The important thing to remember is that our offense does not Turn the ball over and keeps us in the games. If JM stays consistant and doesn't turn the ball over costing us games he is just as good or better than King under center. It was a fun game to be at after the 1st qt and a half. LOUD! WE rocked the joint! GO Cards....paste the Panthers!

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Josh Givin' it UP!

Now we know why he keeps playing with that chin strap...maybe he should talk to the equipment manager...

Attachments

• Josh-head-bash.jpg
    Josh-head-bash.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 174
OP
OP
P

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Great pic! I watched that play on the highlights when I got home and man did McCown ever take a blow to the head. But he did lay that DB out!

I'll say one thing for McCown, he is physically tough. He's a big, tough kid with speed and you have to love those attributes, but he has to learn how to slide feet first if he wants to stick around for anything other than a few seasons.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
pete said:
Great pic! I watched that play on the highlights when I got home and man did McCown ever take a blow to the head. But he did lay that DB out!

I'll say one thing for McCown, he is physically tough. He's a big, tough kid with speed and you have to love those attributes, but he has to learn how to slide feet first if he wants to stick around for anything other than a few seasons.

Not to mention it kinda hurts your nose to have the chin-strap holding your hat on like that...

P.S. Notice Josh's knee? That DB was tingling all over!!

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Redheart said:
P.S. Notice Josh's knee? That DB was tingling all over!!

He stayed down for awhile after Josh laid him out!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rats said:
If JM stays consistant and doesn't turn the ball over costing us games he is just as good or better than King under center.
The problem is he's not consistent. One play he looks great, the next he scare the bejeezus out of you with an awful throw.

What has Josh done that most other QBs in the league--including King--cannot?

I say King probably can't run as well (but McCown hasn't been doing much of that anyway). But, King can most certainly make all the passes McCown is being asked to throw and he can probably throw them better.

I appreciate that MCown hasn't thrown a lot of picks (but even some of that is dumb luck--he's thrown some passes that certainly deserved to be picked). But he's not doing anything special to help us win. Maybe King won't either--but we won't know until we find out. I don't think king could be a step back for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05