Will the Cardinals really make the playoffs?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Truthfully, I really don't think so but I wouldn't put nothing past Dennis Green. They probably won't but I don't think us Cardinals will really mind, why? Because, the Cardinals will no longer be a push over. The Cardinals will light a few teams up this year. McCown and the rest of the young guys will show more than a share of moments of greatness and things to come. The Cardinals will show us something we will have a hard time identifying... a pass rush... our CBs will also be asking if that is legal after the first sacks. Even if we do not make the playoffs, we will finally have reason to have hope and things will only be better in the future.

So please complain when we miss the playoffs this year by a fine line because Green would want us to. Green will demand a lot from his players and expects no less from the fans. The days of freaking excuses are coming to an end. Bad coaching, problematic front office execs and the rest are being shown the door. Little soccer guys hurting themselves jumping up and down after a gimme kick are gone. Bitter players who feel the world is against them have no place on this team, have fun Jeff Blake. Life is not fair and us Cardinal fans could care less for those who don't buy into Green's system because frankly the old system the Cardinals have had SUCKED!

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I am with you ! Going to the playoffs is a lot to ask, but what is great is all the B.S has finally stopped. The organization is headed in the right direction for the first time probably ever. No more two steps backwards and 1/2 step forward.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not this season, schedule is too tough...

However the 2005 season is going to be the best season ever for this team. I know it sucks to say "can't wait till next year" before the season even starts, but I have to be realistic. Who knows maybe this team will suprise, but I can't see the defense being that much better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must keep in mind that teams rise and fall quickly. At the start of last year, many of us believed teams like the Raiders , Bucs, Steelers and Dolphins were locks to make the playoffs. They didn't. Then we had teams like the Cowboys and Panthers who, while we believed they would improve, did make the playoffs.
As far as being a tough schedule, I don't like to buy into that. Six of our games is against our own division. As far as the remaining 10 games, it's not always who you play, but when you play them. For instance, The Vikings started of 6-0 last year. They looked unbeatable and appeared to be a cinch to stroll into the playoffs. They were not the same team in the 2nd half. Miami has been virtually unbeatable in september but we don't play them until November.
Many things could change by then. The Saints and Patriots usuallly get out of the gate a little slow. We play them early.

You can always look BACK and say you had a tough schedule. But when you look ahead, you are assuming all your opponents are as good or better than last year. Going into last year, we would have not looked forward at having to play the Raiders. But wait a minute...didn't they draft AHEAD of us? See what I mean?

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think we're

going to be alot like Green Bay, last year. We'll go 8-8. maybe 9-7, and sneak in with some help from an outside source.
Next year we're in on our own, then division cham'ps and,here's the kicker, in the year(2008) the S.B.is played here we're in it!
Ya heard it hear first!

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I am from MO, the Show Me state. I will not believe they are headed in the right direction until I see some results. My hopes have been dashed too many times by "changes made in the right direction". Playoffs are just not a realistic thing to expect. You can hope but to think it has reasonable chance to occur is not being realistic. This team has way too many question marks. Green can not line up on the field and play. Every football prediction made this year by magazines and sports shows will have the Cardinals finishing last in the West and being one of the worst teams. They will caveat that with they will be improved from last year. I think both those predictions are safe bets to come true this year.

Last edited:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
going to be alot like Green Bay, last year. We'll go 8-8. maybe 9-7, and sneak in with some help from an outside source.
Next year we're in on our own, then division cham'ps and,here's the kicker, in the year(2008) the S.B.is played here we're in it!
Ya heard it hear first!

:raccoon:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The poster is correct. It's when you play teams. Upsets happen every weekend. Injuries, team momentum, team desperation, all can play a role in beating teams during a season.

Even the Vikes 6-0 start was not as good as it appeared. There wins against ATL SF and DENV all came with their QBs being injured. And ATL and SF had some serious player discipline issues.

There is a very thin line between winning and losing in the NFL especially a single game. A single game has so many factors that cannot be controlled a bad call by the ref, a lucky play etc.

The key is to put in the right system and then you have a chance to win more then you lose and contend for the playoffs.

P.S. has a "home team" ever played in a SB?

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I just hope we do not loose momemtum after the first 3 games: @ Rams, Patriots here, and @ Falcons. If we can win the first one againt the Rams, which I believe is a good possibility, we should have good momemtum thereafter. To me the Seahawks look to be the team that may beat us out. But, I agree we have a tough schedule. Going to be some fun football!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i would be shocked if we made the playoffs this year. that said, i am a big believer in denny, and w/ the state of the nfl, the dredge from one year often rises to playoff status the next, so anything is possible.

i think everyone is putting a little too much stock in our new regime though. yes, i think they will turn this around. but let's remember that we're coming off of years of inadequacy, we barely averaged 14 pts/game last year and gave up points by the bushel. we are starting an inexperienced qb w/ a single "w" under this belt, and we're putting alot of faith into players who are either fa's, draftees, or being put in a new position. that's a TON of adjustment for this team.

i'd just like to see us become competitive, scare a few of the elite teams, have a nice fa period next year and another stellar draft and i'll be fully on board for the playoff drive of '05!

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love the optimism but playoffs are most likely a reach. Really, who would not be happy with 8-8, a couple wins on the road and not being blown out? Still, if the Seahags and Rams regress and we do well in the Division who know? 9-7 might win the West.

GBR!

seesred

Reaction score
IMO 9 wins the west and we have as much a shot as any of the other three teams.

Keys to a solid season

D-line Still unknown but changed dramatically
O-line Right side who will play
Mccnown Wont be inbetween solid not
Shipp IMO we can't win without him playing 14-16 games at full speed
the three wide outs Our strength to make all above work

Special teams. Field position all game long

gbr

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jmt said:
Love the optimism but playoffs are most likely a reach. Really, who would not be happy with 8-8, a couple wins on the road and not being blown out? Still, if the Seahags and Rams regress and we do well in the Division who know? 9-7 might win the West.

GBR!

I'd be happy, especially if they can just stay in the game past the midway point of the first quarter. I'm tired of getting ready for a big Sunday of Cardinal football on TV only to have it finished 8 minutes after kickoff.

I don't care what the W-L record is this year as long as we can go into the games with a reasonable chance to win and are competitive from start to finish.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
:thumbup:
Jetstream Green said:
Truthfully, I really don't think so but I wouldn't put nothing past Dennis Green. They probably won't but I don't think us Cardinals will really mind, why? Because, the Cardinals will no longer be a push over. The Cardinals will light a few teams up this year. McCown and the rest of the young guys will show more than a share of moments of greatness and things to come. The Cardinals will show us something we will have a hard time identifying... a pass rush... our CBs will also be asking if that is legal after the first sacks. Even if we do not make the playoffs, we will finally have reason to have hope and things will only be better in the future.

So please complain when we miss the playoffs this year by a fine line because Green would want us to. Green will demand a lot from his players and expects no less from the fans. The days of freaking excuses are coming to an end. Bad coaching, problematic front office execs and the rest are being shown the door. Little soccer guys hurting themselves jumping up and down after a gimme kick are gone. Bitter players who feel the world is against them have no place on this team, have fun Jeff Blake. Life is not fair and us Cardinal fans could care less for those who don't buy into Green's system because frankly the old system the Cardinals have had SUCKED!

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
You must keep in mind that teams rise and fall quickly. At the start of last year, many of us believed teams like the Raiders , Bucs, Steelers and Dolphins were locks to make the playoffs. They didn't. Then we had teams like the Cowboys and Panthers who, while we believed they would improve, did make the playoffs.
As far as being a tough schedule, I don't like to buy into that. Six of our games is against our own division. As far as the remaining 10 games, it's not always who you play, but when you play them. For instance, The Vikings started of 6-0 last year. They looked unbeatable and appeared to be a cinch to stroll into the playoffs. They were not the same team in the 2nd half. Miami has been virtually unbeatable in september but we don't play them until November.
Many things could change by then. The Saints and Patriots usuallly get out of the gate a little slow. We play them early.

You can always look BACK and say you had a tough schedule. But when you look ahead, you are assuming all your opponents are as good or better than last year. Going into last year, we would have not looked forward at having to play the Raiders. But wait a minute...didn't they draft AHEAD of us? See what I mean?

Very good post :thumbup: You can't predict who will be good next year, teams rise and fall by a snap of a finger. You never know what can happen. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best ;)

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
jmt said:

GBR!

Something serious would have to happen to Seattle before we could overtake them. FA acquisitions like Taylor are going to make them a serious contender in 04'.

That said, I agree that our best chance at a post season game is winning the NFC West. The niners are in disarray, and LA is shaky. We must beat the hags at home, and hope for the best.

We were so bad last year though, that I'm not going to predict that we win anything until we're at the .500 mark six or eight games through the season. Save for a couple moments, last year was an utter disgrace. We were the laughing stock of the NFL. The contempt in Bermans voice when he spoke about us would make me cringe.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
We were so bad last year though, that I'm not going to predict that we win anything until we're at the .500 mark six or eight games through the season. Save for a couple moments, last year was an utter disgrace. We were the laughing stock of the NFL. The contempt in Bermans voice when he spoke about us would make me cringe.

How long did it take Stoops to transform OU from Big Twelve Doormat to National Champs? Two seasons?

Green can do the same thing for the Cardinals.

But then many thought the veteran leadership of Smith and Blake, and FA loss of Plummer was going to make the Cards better last year and missed that by a mile so.....
:shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05