BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The don't know for who yet....my guess: a player to be named later

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
XTRA....

But it was obvious something was happening...he could have played yesterday but they didnt activate him...it was suspicious.

Mike

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good move. With Council, Kata, and Cintron available, Womack was wasted on our roster.

Now if Brenly would just play Overbay at 1st every day and leave Hillenbrand at 3rd, we might be in good shape.

Moanster

Reaction score
it's listed as a transaction on the ESPN page. Mike Watson. don't know anything about him...

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
If it's true and the Dbacks are picking up Tony's salary then it's a good deal for the Rockies.

Unfortunately with Womacks .303 OBP it's not gonna cut it on our contending team.

I bet Tony's pissed but hey, that's baseball.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chandler Mike, I saw your comment on the front page on how this was a good trade. What do you know that we don't? I read the stats on the pitcher we traded for and he seems like meat. Does anyone know WHY they traded for this guy? I understand they wanted to get rid of money so they traded Womack, but to me it seems they could have picked up a better minor league player in return. We are always looking for power hitters. Or outfielders it seems. This guy's stats don't look that impressive for a pitcher. :confused:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Mark, send me a PM will you...you asked to be emailed with replies to this thread and it keeps bouncing, saying your email is bad.

Mike

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yuma
Chandler Mike, I saw your comment on the front page on how this was a good trade. What do you know that we don't? I read the stats on the pitcher we traded for and he seems like meat. Does anyone know WHY they traded for this guy? I understand they wanted to get rid of money so they traded Womack, but to me it seems they could have picked up a better minor league player in return. We are always looking for power hitters. Or outfielders it seems. This guy's stats don't look that impressive for a pitcher. :confused:

I like it because it gives our youth time to play, something that Womack would take away from if he stayed.

I've seen what he can do, and it was sure nice in the World Series...but lately, it's been nothing.

I want to see more Kata, Cintron, etc.

Mike

FORKTUNG

Registered
Reaction score
Friday, July 18

Diamondbacks trade Womack to Rockies
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press
PHOENIX (AP) _ The Arizona Diamondbacks traded infielder Tony Womack to the Colorado Rockies on Friday for a minor-league pitcher.

Womack was expected to be in San Francisco on Friday night for the Rockies game against the San Francisco Giants.

Diamondbacks General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. said Womack would be remembered for his contribution to the team's success but that the new success of younger players would mean less playing time for the 33-year-old.

``Because of the recent performance of our young players, we saw increasingly diminished playing time for Tony in the coming weeks,'' he said.

The Diamondbacks acquired from Colorado Mike Watson, a 22-year-old right hander. He was drafted by the Rockies last year and has spent this year with the team's Asheville affiliate.

Womack has been on the 15-day disabled list since spraining his right knee while making a defensive play in Detroit on June 28. He leaves the Diamondbacks as the all-time club leader in stolen bases with 182, while tying Steve Finley for second in hits at 677.

pinnacle

Reaction score
I would bet the rockies picked up most of his remaining salary...the guy they threw in was fairing poorly as a reliever in single a ball...the rockies may have thought someone like the dodgers or giants would go after womack if we cut him...so they may have agreed to pick u p quite a bit of his salary - remaining season is not that long - so it will not be that much dough..

The dbacks may have just waived womack..so anything we got is good!

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rockies pick up Womack from D-Backs

By Troy E. Renck and Mike Klis, Denver Post Sports Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - Eager for more flexibility off the bench and at the top of the order, the Rockies acquired Arizona Diamondbacks shortstop Tony Womack for Class-A pitcher Mike Watson this afternoon.

"He can play a variety of different positions, and is coming from winning situations," Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. "And he gives the kind of speed that we haven't had since we traded Juan Pierre. It's gives (manager) Clint (Hurdle) more options."

Womack has been slowed by injuries this season, hitting just .237 with two homers, 15 RBIs and eight stolen bases.

He had lost his job to Alex Cintron and Craig Counsell, and with the Diamondbacks' facing a roster crunch with the return of second baseman Junior Spivey next week, the veteran became expendable.

Womack is expected to be a utility player for the Rockies, though he gives the club a proven alternative if starter Juan Uribe continues to struggle defensively. Uribe committed two errors in Thursday's loss to San Francisco. When asked about Uribe's status Friday, O'Dowd said the club must continue to show patience.

"This provides Clint an opportunity to slow the game down for Juan," O'Dowd said, "if he needs to. But this trade wasn't about (displacing Uribe)."

To make room on the roster, the Rockies optioned outfielder Luke Allen. Womack has played outfield with the Diamondbacks and was made aware that he may see time there with the Rockies before the trade transpired. Adding Womack leaves the Rockies' 40-man roster full, but it doesn't change their payroll.

The club, already $4 million overbudget, will pay Womack $119,627 for the remainder of the season, the pro-rated minimum.

The Diamondbacks will be responsible for the rest of his $6 million salary this year, half of which was deferred.

Watson, a 33rd round pick in the 2002 draft, was 1-3 with a 5.02 ERA at Class-A Asheville.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~96~1520358,00.html

mkapp

CheesyPoof!
Reaction score
Dont know who is paying the contract but it seems like a good trade...glad to see the Dbacks cut some dead weight and allow the youngins some playing time. Now if we can just get Mike Myers outta here and a solid right fielder we will be sitting pretty. I could see maybe moving Overbay too and putting Hillenbrand over there to make more room in the infield to bring up Chad Tracy soon. I am curious about putting Spivey out in right field.........

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also agree that it would be the best case scenario to put Spivey in RF, however, during a pennant race would be the most inopportune time to convert someone over to a position he really doesn't have any experience at.... You don't necessarily want him to commit some error that ultimately cost them a game..... That could have happened last season if Durazo had agreed to play RF in last season's series against St Louis.

I just wonder where Danny Bautista fits into the equation...I remember him when he was a very promising prospect in the Tigers organization, but that was back in the early 90s and he really hasn't done anything to merit the contract he has.... He was impressive during the '01 Post Season, however, has been extremely injury-prone since.... I hope he does get activated soon, because he might generate some trade interests.....

I guess Cintron will remain the everyday SS and Kata will split time between 2B/3B..... I guess Hammock will be demoted once Barajas returns, and Terrero will be sent down when Randy comes back on Sunday......

I wouldn't be shocked if the Dbacks use this pitcher, Mike Watson, as part of some future trade-package, since the Dbacks already have a surplus of younger pitchers.....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First there was Williams, now Womack, could Mark Grace be next?
I like seeing Grace in the dugout with his presence but I don't think he brings much offensively. Lyle has shown he is very capable fielding his position but he needs to start knocking in runs. It will be a very interesting 11 days.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I believe Tony was moved ASAP and at our cost because we have to free up a spot on the 40-man protected roster when RJ comes back off the 60-day DL. Just cutting him a la Williams would perhaps not be received real well by the veterans. I have studied the list of 40 guys and couldn't see anyone I'd rather leave off than Womack...and it meant we had to take a very minor-leaguer because it does us no good if we got someone in trade we have to protect. (Same reason we took trash for Damian?)

Who knows, Watson probably is just available horseflesh to get a deal done fast, but maybe our scouts saw something interesting.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Now if Brenly would just play Overbay at 1st every day and leave Hillenbrand at 3rd, we might be in good shape.
Do you really think that we're a better team with Counsell on the bench?

Overbay really needs to spend time in Tucson regaining his confidence and working on driving in runners in scoring position.

As soon as Brenly started playing Hillenbrand at 1B vs. righties as well as lefties, it showed that he's aware of the work that Lyle needs!

At the break, Overbay had 24 RBI's . . . and the third most official AB's on the team behind Gonzo and Finley. Not good!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bc, I'll turn it around. Do you really want Hillenbrand's horrible defense at 1st base?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To Womack - Thanks for the crucial hits in the NLCS and World Series - you will always be a champion - but thank god that Champion has a new address! Good luck Tony and thanks for the bad and GREAT memories.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05