Supporting Member
Reaction score
US has never finished lower than 3rd, but haven't won since 1999

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the game will be on local Fox channels? The last group stage was. Are they really going to roll out the news instead?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I was disgusted by Colombia in the first half. The flopping, whining, simulation BS makes me want us to crush them. Oh what sweet justice that red card was. Up yours, Columbia!

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
USA with a 2-0 win.

I'm not a huge soccer fan but these women are fun to watch.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
US still cannot score. When up by a person they still had trouble scoring. Even with Rapinoe and Holliday sitting out the China game they should win. But if they play a team like France or Germany and continue to play offense like they have they will lose. Especially against Germany. Watched every one of their games and Germany keeps coming at you offensively until they wear you down. France has played 2 good games in a row and now have Necib back playing so they are also dangerous.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The US offense is a concern but that defense might be the best in the tournament. I am not sure what to expect with Rapinoe out, Holliday didn't do much all tournament so I am not sure how big a loss that will be.

I'd really like to see Press get more playing time, she adds a little flair to the offense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rapinoe missing will hurt. Holiday not so much. If they can add a true holding midfielder to the team like Boxx or whomever else they have, I think a lot of their problems will go away. Surprising that they are as good defensively as they are without that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The US offense is a concern but that defense might be the best in the tournament. I am not sure what to expect with Rapinoe out, Holliday didn't do much all tournament so I am not sure how big a loss that will be.

I'd really like to see Press get more playing time, she adds a little flair to the offense.

They said that Press should take Rapinoe's spot in the starting 11 against China.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They said that Press should take Rapinoe's spot in the starting 11 against China.

That is good news. She is a good player and I have never seen someone smile as much on the field as her. Plus she is cute...

You must be registered for see images attach

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think the most frustrating part of this team for me is that the last 2 games when the opponent had a red card send off with a lot of time yet left we kind of sat back and just bled the clock rather than attacking. I don't know if that was a tactic or if it was just how it played out. My Guess is that if this team doesn't win it all someone will speak out about it and we will know once and for all. Overall I would like to see more continuity and possession from the midfield especially. There are too many long balls and careless give aways trying to make the perfect pass rather than just building with team play. The long ball is usually a strength of this team with Abby and Alex up top but the turf is negating it somewhat so they need to adjust.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There now I got my negative post out of the way I will look at the positives. My first observation of why our team appears to be struggling offensively is that the other teams that we've played(and are yet to play) are just much better than what we've seen in the past. After all maybe they wernt the better side, but Columbia did beat France. And for all of their antics before and during the match at no point did it look like Columbia could beat our team from my POv. They were very good with the ball at their feet and could probably put up a nice YouTube video, but they never looked dangerous at goal like we did. And we didn't get snake bitten in the counterattack like France did.

Clearly we are not going to be without major adversity against a germany or a France etc. but with the other teams in the field being much improved we just have too high of expectations for our women that used to dominate the field aside from a team here or there. That just doesn't exist currently. Australia eliminated Brazil. I missed germany v Sweden but based on the posts I read it sounds like germany are the favorites currently. But maybe with our D being the strength of this team winning 1-0 or 2-0 games are the way to beat them.

Another observation....there are chemistry problems on our team that will hopefully get better with some of the other players getting a shot and with Morgan getting back into shape. And I think a lot of it has to do with Morgan not being 100% and Abby not being able to play a full 90 at a high level. Leroux, press, rapino, sometimes johnston(lol)and finally Morgan look like our most dangerous attackers, but the final passes to one another are lacking and look wreck less at times. I also have to give a shout to Lloyd who finally had a better game vs col and klingenburg looked good on the left side. That pass to set up the rapino penalty was wonderful. I think Abby needs to play a little less and I'm disappointed that she is talking about the turf during the Tourney. To me that says that this is in her head. They need to be more compact with the turf and hold the ball better.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both the France/Germany game and USA/China game are on local Fox TV. Even a 1 hour pre-game going on now. Pleasantly surprised.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This Germany/France game is fun to watch.....Germany just tied the game on a PK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh France player takes a dive in the box and blows a chance to score. Should be a yellow card on the France player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I didn't see the whole game but the parts I saw France looked like the better side. Germany got a little lucky with the handball but they handled the PKs. I think the USA has a shot if they can get past china.

Reaction score
For those that don't know, US women's team defender Julie Johnston is from Mesa. Went to high school and played soccer at Dobson High.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
They are looking really good tonight, controlling the game. Lloyd is still turning the ball over like crazy though.