Would Patrick Peterson be a better safety than CB?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Somehow I get that feeling.

Based on what? Most every thorough analysis of Peterson states that he moves fine for a corner, and doesn't have the stiffness in the hips that Rolle does/did. Is it just because he's the size of a safety?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on what? Most every thorough analysis of Peterson states that he moves fine for a corner, and doesn't have the stiffness in the hips that Rolle does/did. Is it just because he's the size of a safety?

I have heard the exact opposite about him and watched him play for the last 3 years. He is an athletic specimen with huge measurables. Plenty of make up speed, which he used quite often @ LSU. LOng arms and can jump through the roof. It is his cover skills that are lacking. He might make a fine CB. I don't know. I suspect he would make a better safety, where his speed and size would be better used.

On Thursday’s NFL Network conference call with the media, draft analyst Mike Mayock used the same word when discussing LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson.

“He’s got a little bit of stiffness to him,” said Mayock, adding that Peterson is “most comfortable in press-man (coverage),” but explaining that the 2010 Thorpe Award winner “might be best served as a safety.

“He might be an All-Pro safety.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/17/mayock-patrick-peterson-could-be-an-all-pro-safety/

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
An even more perfect pick for Arizona. He can play CB for a couple of years and then take over at Safety for AW who will be 32 in October.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
An even more perfect pick for Arizona. He can play CB for a couple of years and then take over at Safety for AW who will be 32 in October.

Sounds good to me. He's also considered one of the most exciting returner prospects in a long time as well. Certainly could help.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best comparison I've seen is Charles Woodson. We won't use him the way GB uses Woodson now, but then Woodson was a damn good CB for a few years in Oakland before he got hurt and then stopped caring. Once he got to a good team he got better. They custom use him now but Peterson will be athletic enough to play right away IMHO.

We won't pick him IMHO. we're either going to reach for a QB or take a DL.

Reaction score
As someone who has followed PP7's career for a while.......no.

What Peterson will be is an all around playmaker defensive back. You can play him in man against your opponents #1 receiver, you could put him at nickel, you can put him at free safety, you can put him at strong safety because he is a hell of a tackler, and you can rush him off the edge because he is a hell of a blitzer. Then you can put him at punt return and let him take it to the house.

Any team that passes on this guy will be sorry. I dont care what your needs are, this kid will light it up in the NFL and be a major asset to any team that drafts him.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

What Peterson will be is an all around playmaker defensive back. You can play him in man against your opponents #1 receiver, you could put him at nickel, you can put him at free safety, you can put him at strong safety because he is a hell of a tackler, and you can rush him off the edge because he is a hell of a blitzer. Then you can put him at punt return and let him take it to the house.

Any team that passes on this guy will be sorry. I dont care what your needs are, this kid will light it up in the NFL and be a major asset to any team that drafts him.

I'd take him for that reason alone. At least the Cards would have one guy who could tackle.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My guess is you are based in the Bayou state.

BTW, I think you made my case.