Wow Singletary in the post game presser

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds weak but Martz did call the play. Everybody knew that already.

Well of course but to say it like that was just wrong IMHO. He's the HC, if he didn't agree with the call he should have said so then, not after the game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
???

Martz is paid call the offense, so I dont see an issue here with Singletary's comments...

You're supposed to win and lose as a team. But because someone questioned the wisdom of a play that had Gore on the sideline and them running a converted RB with 4 carries all year, Singletary decided he had to make sure we all knew he didn't call the play.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not fair to Singletary. He is the real deal, IMO. I understand what you are saying, but it really was Martz that screwed the pooch for the whiners.

The problem with this is that earlier in the game Singletary basically told his OC to shove it when he wanted to go for a very short 4th and 1, which I believe would have put the game away. You clearly saw the two on the sideline bicker about it when Martz wanted to put a stamp on the game and singletary stepped in and denied it and went for a field goal instead. You have to establish who is going to really call the plays being the head coach...Singletary didnt do that. I think the problem is that Singletary just doesnt have enough management qualities to be able to handle the load for a full season and the fact that he clearly is a hypocrite. When a head coach blames all the teams shortcomings on the players and everybody else but himself, it doesnt really make for a winning formula. I predict he loses his team after a couple more games...

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're supposed to win and lose as a team. But because someone questioned the wisdom of a play that had Gore on the sideline and them running a converted RB with 4 carries all year, Singletary decided he had to make sure we all knew he didn't call the play.
Very, VERY Denny Green of him. No other reason to single out Martz, but to deflect any blame off of himself.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Singletary is in over his head, I said that when he was hired.
In over his head? He gave a team that was favored by double digits all they could handle. He changed the dynamic of that team and nearly beat a damned good team on the road.

Yet you guys are ready to say he's in over his head? I give a ton of credit to Singletary and the 9ers. They came to play. That last play was a mistake, but he coached a pretty brilliant game all-in-all.

Yeah, the Cardinals tried their best to give the game away, but give credit where credit is due (remember what it's like when we'd beat teams and their fans would give all sorts of reasons why they lost it instead of the Cards winning it? You should, it wasn't that long ago). The Niners played very well--better than they have all year.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Niners have a decent second half I think they will retain MS and I will bet they dump Martz.

They were shown arguing earlier in the game when Martz wanted to go for it on 4th down and Singletary called for a FG.

They seem to butt heads alot. I suspect MS is setting Martz up to be canned when the season is over with postgame comments like that.

Totally agree with you on this. Martz had the same problem with the Detroit HC and was fired. (Of course Detroit hasn't won a game this year.) But MS will want to bring in his own OC if they give him the HC job.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In over his head? He gave a team that was favored by double digits all they could handle. He changed the dynamic of that team and nearly beat a damned good team on the road.

Yet you guys are ready to say he's in over his head? I give a ton of credit to Singletary and the 9ers. They came to play. That last play was a mistake, but he coached a pretty brilliant game all-in-all.

Yeah, the Cardinals tried their best to give the game away, but give credit where credit is due (remember what it's like when we'd beat teams and their fans would give all sorts of reasons why they lost it instead of the Cards winning it? You should, it wasn't that long ago). The Niners played very well--better than they have all year.

I agree he's motivating them. I guess my concern is you can't rely on that in the NFL for a full season, just won't work. He seems to be too emotional, it's great that he wants to win so badly that a loss like that brings him to tears, but I think his emotions at times get in the way of his actualy X and O coaching.

I think the main issue is that anybody who lives in the Bay Area has seen for years now how Mike Nolan week after week blamed everyone but himself, the players didn't execute, the refs blew, it, changing assistants, I was told I couldn't challenged that call(he used that several times). When Singletary took over the one thing everyone said immediately is no more excuses, he will hold players accountable and he'll be in charge. Which is why it was so odd that he went out of his way to blame Martz for the last play.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to me that Martz always ends up with coaches that seem to be his opposite number (Marinelli in Detroit and Singletary and Nolan in San Fran). He needs to hook up with a head coach that more on the same page of having a high-risk/high-reward offense instead of guys that would rather grind it out on O and win with defense.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree he's motivating them. I guess my concern is you can't rely on that in the NFL for a full season, just won't work. He seems to be too emotional, it's great that he wants to win so badly that a loss like that brings him to tears, but I think his emotions at times get in the way of his actualy X and O coaching.
Singletary didn't get the job for his X's and O's. He's the kind of coach that's going to lean heavily on his coordinators, and it's a match made in hell with Martz.

JMHO

RolleRocks

Registered
Reaction score
THey asked about the call on the last play and he said something like "I don't know, I guess Mike Martz felt there would be a cavity inside on it so he called that play, HE called that play.

I realize Martz is the OC but you're the head coach and you've been preaching accountability since you got hired, and now you go out of your way to make sure we all knew Martz called that play?

Weak.
I have no problem with what Singletary had to say.

Singletary didn't hire Martz.

I doubt Singletary can even stand Martz.

I don't think he needs to stick his neck out for that idiot.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with what Singletary had to say.

Singletary didn't hire Martz.

I doubt Singletary can even stand Martz.

I don't think he needs to stick his neck out for that idiot.
Fair enough. Welcome!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Singletary said in his presser that his "vision" of the Niners is ball control on offense...that he spent the two weeks getting the o-line to play physical up front and to feature Frank Gore, and occasional play action...which is also why Singletary made the switch to QB Shaun Hill, whom he considers to be the best fit for ball control.

To hang Martz out the way Singletary did is unconscionable. It wasn't Martz' fault that Hill inexplicably allowed 27 seconds to run off the clock on first a goal from the two yard line...all just to spike the ball anyway. But Singletary and Martz are oil and water...

If Singletary gets the job, Martz is one and done in SF.

Also, there was noticeable friction between the two on the 4th and 1 field goal decision. Martz looked adamant that they should go for it, and didn't even get to argue his case before Singletary waved in the FG team.

IMO, Singletary is too volatile and old school to be an effective long term head coach...I certainly respect the way he got his players up for this game...but, no matter who was coaching the Niners, this game, in light of their disappointing season, was their Super Bowl...their one chance to impress in the national spotlight.

Hanging players and coaches out to dry in the media is never a good choice. The players and coaches will stop playing for him if this continues.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this game, in light of their disappointing season, was their Super Bowl...their one chance to impress in the national spotlight.

Great point! It was their super bowl.

Martz openly arguing with Martz on the 4th and 1 was worse than Samurai calling out Martz. Martz deserved it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score

Yeah? Haslett made the Rams look good for two games also.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah? Haslett made the Rams look good for two games also.
I said it then and I'll say it again: Not really. When you watch those 2 games that they won, they really won them on 2 or 3 freaky lucky plays.

Singletary had the niners just playing well. Maybe it won't last, but you can't say they didn't look leaps and bounds better then they have (and you can't say that about the first two haslett games, despite their wins).

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
While I heard Singletary's answer, I didn't hear the question.

Assuming the question was something like "explain the play call on the goal line." The expected response of a head coach would be "we thought we could . . ." NOT "Martz thought we could . . ."

You don't blame your coordinator like that. I wouldn't expect Wisenhunt to do that to his coordinators. Or Belicheck or Dungy etc.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
I said it then and I'll say it again: Not really. When you watch those 2 games that they won, they really won them on 2 or 3 freaky lucky plays.

Singletary had the niners just playing well. Maybe it won't last, but you can't say they didn't look leaps and bounds better then they have (and you can't say that about the first two haslett games, despite their wins).

SF played better, but they still had only 3 points in the second half and three TO's. That game was more about the Cards than the 49ers, IMO. Motivation will only get you so far in the NFL.

Russ's point about Singletary throwing Martz under the bus is telling also. Is Singletary the HC or not? That last play is his responsibility.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Singletary is a class act in my opinion. Last week they played a tough game, he pulled the trigger on some high stress moves and they came in and held their own in a road game nearly everyone said would be a blowout, including a lot of you guys on here. It is not a done deal but I will be really interested in seeing how they do in the next few games.

Not a ton of talent on that team and I think they played way above what anyone expected. I, for one, would love to see them give him a chance... As someone else said I just wish it was somewhere else because given our division there is no way I could ever cheer for the niners (hell even if they were not in our division there is no way I could cheer for them)... I do wish Singletary the best though, he is indeed one hell of a guy.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He threw Davis under the bus last week and now Martz this week

What goes around comes around. I remember after a game here when the Cards won 34-7 at SDS, the media asked what went wrong. He said, "Well, our quarterback couldn't make any plays. It's a shame when one guy lets everyone else down." (At least, it was something close to that.) The QB was Chris Chandler and it was the worst case of "under the bus" I've ever heard. Way, way worse than what Singletary did.

Here's the actual quote and game story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=241219022

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm with you on this one. Singletary is also overly honest. He answered a direct question directly. Evidence last night indicates he knows what he's doing.

Oh, and like his mentor, Mike Ditka, he doesn't care what you and I and the media sheep think about him. Singletary might actually be a good head coach.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Singletary is a class act in my opinion. Last week they played a tough game, he pulled the trigger on some high stress moves and they came in and held their own in a road game nearly everyone said would be a blowout, including a lot of you guys on here. It is not a done deal but I will be really interested in seeing how they do in the next few games.

Not a ton of talent on that team and I think they played way above what anyone expected. I, for one, would love to see them give him a chance... As someone else said I just wish it was somewhere else because given our division there is no way I could ever cheer for the niners (hell even if they were not in our division there is no way I could cheer for them)... I do wish Singletary the best though, he is indeed one hell of a guy.

Half right and half wrong. They actually have a whopping load of good talent to work with -- more than we have now, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05