Your Suns dream team (just for fun)

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm on a staycation from work this week....lol

Try putting together a team consisting only of either current or former Suns players that you think would be the best mix in terms of x's and o's(throw out player ego's for the sake of argument...). Not your favorite players mind you...but the team you'd put together to win a championship.
List 5 starters and 5 reserves.

Ok. Mine...

Starters
PG-Jason Kidd
SG-Jeff Hornacek
SF-Shawn Marion
PF-Charles Barkley
C-Shaq O'Neil

^ Cant F with that crew :D Defense,scoring,toughness,rebounding,athleticism,size,speed,shooting.
FT shooting would be the only weakness probably(Kidd,Shaq).

Bench
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Rex Chapman
Danny Manning
Amare Stoudemire

edit: I've only been watching this team since the early to mid 80's so i went with those guys but feel free to go WAY back ;)

Last edited:

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a staycation from work this week....lol

Try putting together a team consisting only of either current or former Suns players that you think would be the best mix in terms of x's and o's(throw out player ego's for the sake of argument...). Not your favorite players mind you...but the team you'd put together to win a championship.
List 5 starters and 5 reserves.

Ok. Mine...

Starters
PG-Jason Kidd
SG-Jeff Hornacek
SF-Shawn Marion
PF-Charles Barkley
C-Shaq O'Neil

^ Cant F with that crew :D Defense,scoring,toughness,rebounding,athleticism,size,speed,shooting.
FT shooting would be the only weakness probably(Kidd,Shaq).

Bench
Kevin Johnson
Dan Majerle
Rex Chapman
Danny Manning
Amare Stoudemire

edit: I've only been watching this team since the early to mid 80's so i went with those guys but feel free to go WAY back ;)

Walter Davis and Connie Hawkins would have to be in the starting lineup replacing Jeff Hornacek and Shawn Marion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starters:

Steve Nash
Walter Davis
Larry Nance
Tom Chambers
Connie Hawkins

Reserves:

Jason Kidd/Kevin Johnson
Dennis Johnson
Danny Manning
Charles Barkley
Oliver Miller/Marcin Gortat

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Nice idea!

PG Kevin Johnson
SG Dennis Johnson
SF Nance
PF Barkley
C Gortat, believe it or not

Weak three-point shooting makes me nervous, but otherwise I think it's well balanced on both ends of the floor. Nance was a great weak-side shot blocker and had a pretty reliable mid-range shot, if I remember correctly.

Bench:
PG Nash
SG Hornacek
SF Marion
PF Lucas
C Stoudemire

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
G Kevin Johnson
G Dan Majerle
F Hawkins
F Barkley
C Gortat

With the current hand checking rules a young healthy Kevin Johnson would obliterate this league. I dont think I am exaggerating to think he would be like a quicker Chris Paul.

Bench:
Nash
Joe Johnson
Marion
Chambers
Amare

And one more spot on the bench for Danny Ainge, just because I loved him and his opponents hated him, its fun to have a guy like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN1gfT2IUuo

lol, love Ainge.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Hold on, i need some guidelines. Are we talking Suns players in their prime or Suns players in the condition they played on the Suns? Am I getting 2000-2001 Shaq or 2008-2009 Shaq?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice idea!

PG Kevin Johnson
SG Dennis Johnson
SF Nance
PF Barkley

Weak three-point shooting makes me nervous, but otherwise I think it's well balanced on both ends of the floor. Nance was a great weak-side shot blocker and had a pretty reliable mid-range shot, if I remember correctly.

Bench:
PG Nash
SG Hornacek
SF Marion
PF Lucas
C Stoudemire

Awesome lineup. The only change I would make is that I would have Chambers versus Lucas off the bench.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Looks good. Ced Cebalos and Oliver Miller on 10 day contracts? :)

Nice idea!

PG Kevin Johnson
SG Dennis Johnson
SF Nance
PF Barkley

Bench:
PG Nash
SG Hornacek
SF Marion
PF Lucas
C Stoudemire

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Starters
PG KJ
SG Joe Johnson
C Gortat
PF Sir Charles
SF Marion

Bench
PG Nash
SG Majerle
C Shaq
PF Stoudemire
SF Manning

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
What would be your all time tank team? Lopez would be my starting center.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice idea!

PG Kevin Johnson
SG Dennis Johnson
SF Nance
PF Barkley

Bench:
PG Nash
SG Hornacek
SF Marion
PF Lucas
C Stoudemire

Wow. So close to what I was thinking.

Nash
Dennis Johnson
Nance
Barkley
Gortat

Bench

KJ
Westphal
Marion
Chambers
Stoudemire

Gortat is probably the best all-around center the Suns have ever had except for maybe Neal Walk, but I didn't see Walk play much, so I can't say for sure.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Let's see some creativity!

I'm going with the all J team.

Kevin Johnson
Joe Johnson
James Jones
Jumaine Jones
Jake Tsakalidis

Jason Kidd
Jeff Hornacek
Jim Jackson
Dennis Johnson
Joe Kleine

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash has to start as two-time MVP. I'd start the first team with a defensive minded SG to help balance the equation.

Starters

PG: Steve Nash

SG: Dennis Johnson (Jason Kidd could fit here as well)

SF: Larry Nance

PF: Charles Barkley

C: Marcin Gortat

Bench:

PG: Kevin Johnson

SG: Walter Davis (Joe Johnson would be solid here as well)

SF: Shawn Marion

PF: Tom Chambers

C: Amare Stoudemire (I wished I could have placed Amare at PF)

Honorable mentions: Dan Majerle, Jeff Hornacek, Alvin Adams, Connie Hawkins, Jason Kidd, Joe Johnson, etc.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
If you are looking for a good team, I'd have to say that I agree with Eric.

However, I am increasingly thinking that I follow the Suns due to some sort of deep rooted emotional masochism. So here is my All-time Misery and Frustration Team. They are not the worst players, but the ones who were most likely to make me kick the furniture.

PG -- Starbury (Always seemed to hold the ball to long and never lived up to the potential he claimed to have.)
SG -- Penny (tons of talent, couldn't stay healthy and showed up for camp out of shape)
SF -- Richard Dumas (tons of potential, snorted his career away)
PF -- Antonio McDyess (we didn't give up much for him, but when he left it sure felt like a betrayal.
C -- Oliver Miller (tons of potential, ate his career away)

PG -- Randy Livingston (Ask Googs why)
SG -- Danny Ainge (Left John Paxson open to double on Horace Grant)
SF -- Josh Childress (Worthless. I can't remember why I was excited when we signed him, but he has certainly not lived up to expectations.)
PF -- James Edwards (Good player, but an absurd mustache and indictment for drug trafficking put him on the list)
C-- John "Hot Rod" Williams (we gave up Majerle and a pick for him and he was sooooooo not worth it.)

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
No no, I refuse to let you blame that 3 on Ainge. That play deteriorated as soon as Barkley tried to go for the glory steal on Pippen. Ainge was playing good team defense by rotating down.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No no, I refuse to let you blame that 3 on Ainge. That play deteriorated as soon as Barkley tried to go for the glory steal on Pippen. Ainge was playing good team defense by rotating down.
Yeah but the Suns were up by 2 points. 11 sec left in regulation. DONT LEAVE THE 3 POINT SHARPSHOOTER! :bang: Worst case you give up 2 points and go to OT @ home.

Horrible mistake. It could have been Westphaul's direction to foul(doubt it)....who knows? I loved Ainge as a player btw.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but the Suns were up by 2 points. 11 sec left in regulation. DONT LEAVE THE 3 POINT SHARPSHOOTER! :bang: Worst case you give up 2 points and go to OT @ home.

Horrible mistake. It could have been Westphaul's direction to foul(doubt it)....who knows? I loved Ainge as a player btw.

Tree Rollins agreed although he said the guy tasted a bit salty.

Steve

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
SG: Dan Majerle
SF: Charles Barkley
PF: Amare Stoudemire

Bench: Kidd, KJ, Davis, Marion, Chambers, Hawkins, Nance

That's my team. I'd love to see the kind of abuse Sir Charles would reign down at SF, and the Nash/Amare P&R was about as unstoppable a 2-man game as there's ever been in the league. Majerle gives great hustle and defense at the 2, and gives Nash a deep threat option to pass to. The bench gives great versatility and can create match-up problems for opposing teams.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
SG: Dan Majerle
SF: Charles Barkley
PF: Amare Stoudemire

That lineup is quite bad defensively, especially at PG/SF/PF. Any team with two dynamic perimeter players would rip those Suns to shreds.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
That lineup is quite bad defensively, especially at PG/SF/PF. Any team with two dynamic perimeter players would rip those Suns to shreds.

I know, and I don't care. I have strong defensive players on the bench in Marion, Nance and Kidd. Offensively, that starting 5 is a force.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
G- Nash
G- J. Johnson
F- Hawkins
F- Barkley
C- Gortat

Bench
KJ
Hornacek
Majerle
McDyess
K. Thomas

Went off the premise that I am picking players based on their best years as a Suns player(so no Shaq, Grant Hill etc.). I picked Hawkins based on reputation, but other than that stayed away from guys I didn't really see play(started watching late 80s). Tried to go more for fit than picking the best player, especially on the bench(I don't think riding pine would sit well with guys like Amare and Marion).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake