2024 NBA Draft talk: Suns own pick 22

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's... interesting.
That's... leverage. And well played by Rich Paul. The Lakers will recognize there's a real cost if they pass on Bronny while the Suns can delude themselves into thinking that we're almost in coin flip territory to land another star for pennies. Maybe it will fall that way but I think it's still a longshot and without agent assurances, drafting Bronny is akin to giving the pick away for cash.

SeattleCardinal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've heard best case scenario comps as Gary Payton II. He really should've went to a college with an established coach with a track record of developing players like a Jay Wright before he retired.

I think LeBron ushering him to the NBA before he is ready is selfish and is going to hurt him in the long run. There's plenty of NIL money to be made in college while he actually plays and develops.
Agree on the NIL aspect - Bronny definitely has an exceptionally marketable "N" to exploit while in school.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's... leverage. And well played by Rich Paul. The Lakers will recognize there's a real cost if they pass on Bronny while the Suns can delude themselves into thinking that we're almost in coin flip territory to land another star for pennies. Maybe it will fall that way but I think it's still a longshot and without agent assurances, drafting Bronny is akin to giving the pick away for cash.
If he wanted leverage, why wouldn't he just let him work out for other teams? I wonder if any other Cali teams were on that list of 10... If the Clippers were, why not let him work out for them?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he wanted leverage, why wouldn't he just let him work out for other teams? I wonder if any other Cali teams were on that list of 10... If the Clippers were, why not let him work out for them?
JMO but I believe James (and Rich Paul) want the Lakers to step up and draft Bronny. We're just the leverage to make it happen as it would allow father and son to play together, it would keep Lebron close to home and we make a believable patsy because it appears to fill a big hole for us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JMO but I believe James (and Rich Paul) want the Lakers to step up and draft Bronny. We're just the leverage to make it happen as it would allow father and son to play together, it would keep Lebron close to home and we make a believable patsy because it appears to fill a big hole for us.

The leverage play by Bron to make the Lakers step up actually makes sense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok, logically that makes sense, but realistically, why would the Suns waste time and resources to do this just so Rich Paul can get the Lakers to sign Bron?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At 55 Bronny is an easy pick for the Lakers, but waiting until then is a risk that another team doesn't take him. Taking him at 17 where the Lakers pick in the first round if NOLA passes on their first this year is crazy.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, logically that makes sense, but realistically, why would the Suns waste time and resources to do this just so Rich Paul can get the Lakers to sign Bron?
Because they could mistakenly believe they have a shot and could be desperate enough to think it’s worse the risk because if they did get LeBron, it reopens a title window at what they might deem very little cost.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a huge gamble but now that it appears to be just a two team race, that gamble starts to look a little better especially to our understandably desperate front office. And without us, there really isn't enough leverage for the Lakers to believe they have to draft Bronny to keep LBJ.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think management is stupid, but they aren’t stupid enough to draft brony at 22 without lebron commiting to come here prior.
It's weird because are the Suns sound like they are not changing their value on the draft yet they have told Gambo they will not draft Brony just to get Lebron. Wouldn't that indicate they value the pick? I guess at the very least it sounds like they put more stock in the TRADE VALUE of the pick then wasting it on Brony. It's all mixed signals. This front office is a mess.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's a huge gamble but now that it appears to be just a two team race, that gamble starts to look a little better especially to our understandably desperate front office. And without us, there really isn't enough leverage for the Lakers to believe they have to draft Bronny to keep LBJ.
What happens if neither team drafts Bronny? Feels like the odds of that happening are probably higher than the alternative.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What happens if neither team drafts Bronny? Feels like the odds of that happening are probably higher than the alternative.
I'm suggesting it's the plan in play for Rich and Lebron, not guaranteeing it will succeed. But I like their chances. I'd be a little surprised if Lebron and Bronny don't both end up in LAL or Phoenix although LA is the far more likely destination IMO. But we'll see.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that is not being talked about the LeBron's influence on the franchise if he comes here. He is the type of player that makes demands. People think KD has had influence? HA! Wait until LeBron gets here. If he does stuff like demands playing time for his son is by almost every scout in the NBA is saying he is not ready?

Can't wait for that cluster and it's on brand for messes the Suns keep getting themselves into.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
One thing that is not being talked about the LeBron's influence on the franchise if he comes here. He is the type of player that makes demands. People think KD has had influence? HA! Wait until LeBron gets here. If he does stuff like demands playing time for his son is by almost every scout in the NBA is saying he is not ready?

Can't wait for that cluster and it's on brand for messes the Suns keep getting themselves into.
True dat. But if we get a title? Don't care. :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's weird because are the Suns sound like they are not changing their value on the draft yet they have told Gambo they will not draft Brony just to get Lebron. Wouldn't that indicate they value the pick? I guess at the very least it sounds like they put more stock in the TRADE VALUE of the pick then wasting it on Brony. It's all mixed signals. This front office is a mess.
No, it would indicate they are lying. The only reason anyone would draft Brony at all is to get Lebron. He isn't one of the 60 best players available according to anyone.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Lebron playing us. We will know soon enough!
Ok that is pretty damn obvious. He's either trolling us or giving a hint.

Or I suppose he could just be trying to up his contract demands from the Lakers by hinting he is serious about the Suns.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Is there really much difference between playing time for David Roddy vs. Bronny? Our bench is so shallow it won't make much a difference.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it would indicate they are lying. The only reason anyone would draft Brony at all is to get Lebron. He isn't one of the 60 best players available according to anyone.
I think it would indicate they are splitting hairs. It might very well be true they will not draft the son to have a shot at father but if they have an agreement first that is not exactly the same thing. Either way we are NEPO baby enablers.

Is there really much difference between playing time for David Roddy vs. Bronny? Our bench is so shallow it won't make much a difference.
It’s not about difference. It’s about should either step foot on the court at all. If the answer is no but you are being strong armed, that spells trouble for what happens on the court.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Crap, it’s not a hoax domain …

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s not about difference. It’s about should either step foot on the court at all. If the answer is no but you are being strong armed, that spells trouble for what happens on the court.
Not if you know those are the terms going into the deal - and I am sure those terms are acceptable.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I very much doubt that adding Lebron equals a title. There is only one ball to go around. Plus he is 40 years old.