Kyler Murray Going Forward Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I mean maybe QuebecCard, but running through the middle of the field is where Murray can use his ninja like change of direction best. Without the sideline to help him, one defender squared up against Murray has zero chance of tackling him. None.

K1 just needs to pick his spots wisely, and slide before contact.

I 1000% agree with you we want to protect our franchise QB, but part of what makes Kyler a transcendent, generational talent is his running ability. If he doesn't have at least five rushing attempts a game, his talent is being wasted.

Either he's durable enough to have 100 rushing attempts a year, or he's not. We need to find out this year.
And not short of first downs :)

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally, I would like to see Kyler step up in the pocket and run up the middle planned or not.

The book on Kyler is hold the edges. If he bolts up the middle instead of always moving left or right there would be huge gaps to run.

With our center and guards we should be able to open up lanes given the defense concentrating on holding the edges against Kyler’s tendency to scramble outside.
Problem is prior to last year, we had some of the worse interior OL play in the league.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ossenfort said on Arizona Sports 98.7 that Murray did everything right, first rehabbing his torn ACL and then getting to work on learning the offense, learning his teammates and becoming the team leader.

“I heard some of those stories. It’s hard for me to comment; I wasn’t here,” Ossenfort said. “All I can say is from the second I walked into the building, seeing how he attacked his rehab — that was hard, what Kyler had to do last year. And I’m not talking solely the rehab, but he had to learn, all the transition we had on the roster, all the transition we had on the coaching staff. For him to try to ingrain himself in that while not really being a part of it because most of the time he was off to the side working on his rehab, the way he was able to come back last year and start that process and go full force this offseason where he’s been right in the middle of everything we’re doing: Workouts, practice, meetings, on the field in OTAs. That’s enabled him to really see what we’re doing, buy into it, be a part of it, and take that role of what comes with the job description of being a starting quarterback. So to see Kyler grow into that, I can’t comment on where he was, all I can know is the growth I’ve seen out of him, physically, mentally, from a leadership standpoint, here in the year and a half that we’ve been here, it’s been great to see.”

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked what I saw of Murray last season, and there are lots of good stories and good vibes coming out lately. So, hate to throw a wet blanket, but this isn't good (if you put credence into EPA):
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Even with the adjustment, Murray ranks 26th (behind Dobbs!) and there aren't a lot of starting QBs behind him.

...dave

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I liked what I saw of Murray last season, and there are lots of good stories and good vibes coming out lately. So, hate to throw a wet blanket, but this isn't good (if you put credence into EPA):
Even with the adjustment, Murray ranks 26th (behind Dobbs!) and there aren't a lot of starting QBs behind him.

...dave
I still wish someone would explain to me what EPA/play gives me that I don’t get from DVOA, total QBR, or passer rating.

How much value is there in a metric that puts Patrick Mahomes just barely ahead of Jake Browning?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler was the third-least pressured QB in the NFL last season, per FTN:

Apparently they’re introducing something called “caused pressure rate”; I’ll let you know what that means.

You can read more, but the gist is that Dobbs made the OL look worse and it was actually pretty good:

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
1. Monti and JG have gone 100% support for K1 from the very beginning. There has been no equivocating from them.

2. K1 has heard all the criticism and has decided to change the narrative -all you hear about is how hard he is working -- again from Monti, JG and teammates.

3. Gannon is setting high expectations for K1 -- talking about how he has mastered the offense, etc, etc.

I dont know if any of this means K1 becomes a top 10 or top 5 Qb in the league -- but the difference from the Keim/Kliff days is shocking.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

...dave
The biggest question for Arizona was always going to be how Murray was used. He devolved into a check-down merchant in the final hours of the Kingsbury regime and his numbers took massive hits across the board. Things didn’t get much better in Murray’s half-season with Gannon and Petzing. His 7.5 aDOT ranked 34th in the league. It was fueled by a career-low rate of deep passing (9.7 percent) and a career-high rate of throws between zero and nine yards downfield (50.4 percent). The Cardinals also logged a pass rate seven percent below expected in Murray’s eight starts.

For Harrison Jr. and McBride to reach their lofty ADPs, Murray needs to improve in his second season under Gannon. He averaged a measly 6.7 yards per attempt and ranked 20th in EPA per play. He has ranked as high as 12th in EPA per play and posted 7.9 yards per throw in 2021, so we know the ceiling is there. Murray’s usage on the ground gave us a small silver lining in 2023. He averaged 2.75 designed carries per game. That would have been good for third in the league over 17 games. It’s not hard to imagine Murray putting it all together and posting another top-five fantasy season. Still, it seems equally as likely that his passing doesn’t rebound, the play-calling is anemic, and the offense flops. The payoff in the former scenario is league-winning potential from multiple players. Floor be damned, the Cardinals are a fun team to draft this year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Monti and JG have gone 100% support for K1 from the very beginning. There has been no equivocating from them.

2. K1 has heard all the criticism and has decided to change the narrative -all you hear about is how hard he is working -- again from Monti, JG and teammates.

3. Gannon is setting high expectations for K1 -- talking about how he has mastered the offense, etc, etc.

I dont know if any of this means K1 becomes a top 10 or top 5 Qb in the league -- but the difference from the Keim/Kliff days is shocking.
I really believe K1 has put in the work and is doing everything he can to be the best he can be.

However, its really going to come down to just how in rhythm K1/Petzing/Terrell are in terms of the passing game.

Even when he had rough games under Kliff you could argue he was still productive and made plays. There were times last year where I just questioned if he fits this offense. Loved the play action stuff for sure, but in terms of pure drop back game it looked pedestrian. If Drew is here is K1 the one who can unlock this offense?

Hoping its just a case of needing a full offseason for Kyler to really know the offense and Petzing to really know Kyler's strengths/weaknesses. Offense was just different than I was expecting.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I really believe K1 has put in the work and is doing everything he can to be the best he can be.

However, its really going to come down to just how in rhythm K1/Petzing/Terrell are in terms of the passing game.

Even when he had rough games under Kliff you could argue he was still productive and made plays. There were times last year where I just questioned if he fits this offense. Loved the play action stuff for sure, but in terms of pure drop back game it looked pedestrian. If Drew is here is K1 the one who can unlock this offense?

Hoping its just a case of needing a full offseason for Kyler to really know the offense and Petzing to really know Kyler's strengths/weaknesses. Offense was just different than I was expecting.
Designed pedestrian is exactly what kyler needs imo.
Electric should be spontaneous and infrequent.
Kylers biggest weakness has always been that he cannot consistently make the mundane play...he always bailed too soon and tried to make a hilight reel.
He needs to be consistently boring 80% of the time...then unlock baby Yoda when there are no other options

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Designed pedestrian is exactly what kyler needs imo.
Electric should be spontaneous and infrequent.
Kylers biggest weakness has always been that he cannot consistently make the mundane play...he always bailed too soon and tried to make a hilight reel.
He needs to be consistently boring 80% of the time...then unlock baby Yoda when there are no other options
Absolutely right.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I’m cautiously optimistic that Kyler is going to flourish with a true skyscraper #1 WR and a large close to elite caliber TE.

He has a better interior line on paper, but jury is out on the entire line which has 2 new faces, and one old face plying a new position

That said he is a couple yolo throws/INTs from me being done with him. I’d say he has a short leash this year in my book

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What were you expecting? Same percentage of shotgun like it was under Kliff?
One of the things I was not expecting.

May have been a Kyler issue or new offense issue. However, I didn't expect dead last in using motion. Again maybe its less trust in Kyler or Kyler didn't trust his command of the offense yet. We hoped Kliff would do under center but we also use to hope like crazy they'd use more motion.

Last edited: