Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, you shifted this to Roddy. Why? He's irrelevant. Just a name us fans have theorized might be bought out if someone else is available. Nothing official has been said. Roddy was named to the SL roster so that seems there's some plan for him.

Back to Lee, why was he resigned? There are better options available. Why waste a roster spot on him when he's not healthy. He was prioritized as one of the first signings this summer. The GM is still the same. New coach, same shot caller. We've had 3 guys coach Lee, he's not a rotation player. Why even bother bringing him back?
I don't know why Lee was re-signed, it made no sense to me. And it made no sense even without the injury. He played great for us for a couple months and then was pretty much unplayable the rest of his first season with us - I saw no value in bringing him back for another unless there were extenuating circumstances we weren't privy to.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know why Lee was re-signed, it made no sense to me. And it made no sense even without the injury. He played great for us for a couple months and then was pretty much unplayable the rest of his first season with us - I saw no value in bringing him back for another unless there were extenuating circumstances we weren't privy to.
What in the hell are we missing here?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What in the hell are we missing here?

Precisely this. People can trust the coaching staff all they want, it's clear James Jones makes decisions without the coaches input. See Ayton resigned, Crowder being sent home, bringing in Isaiah Thomas, and more. There's been plenty of moves made by the front office that doesn't jive with the coaching staff.

Retaining Lee was a bad move, healthy or not. Knowing he still isn't 100% recovered shows it was a dumb move. Teams rarely sign injured players unless it's a KD in Brooklyn type deal. Fringe bench players signing for the minimum? That makes no sense.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Precisely this. People can trust the coaching staff all they want, it's clear James Jones makes decisions without the coaches input. See Ayton resigned, Crowder being sent home, bringing in Isaiah Thomas, and more. There's been plenty of moves made by the front office that doesn't jive with the coaching staff.

Retaining Lee was a bad move, healthy or not. Knowing he still isn't 100% recovered shows it was a dumb move. Teams rarely sign injured players unless it's a KD in Brooklyn type deal. Fringe bench players signing for the minimum? That makes no sense.
To be clear, I am not defending Lee still being here. I thought for sure once his medial stuff cleared, he would be gone. However, what if the coaching staff thinks he can be a solid contributor? I am not saying I agree.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be clear, I am not defending Lee still being here. I thought for sure once his medial stuff cleared, he would be gone. However, what if the coaching staff thinks he can be a solid contributor? I am not saying I agree.

They would be the very first coaching staff, including a title winning Warriors staff, that felt he was good enough to warrant a role and that was before injury. Honestly if Bud likes Lee enough to have asked for him to return, I'm going to start side eyeing his moves going forward.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found this, which states recovery is as early as 4 weeks and is longer with surgery. Generally surgery sidelines folks for 6-8 weeks, sometimes up to 12.

Here is further info detailing how long Embiid, Kawhi, CP3, Jimmy Butler, and Zion all missed.

Embiid had his 3rd surgery on meniscus last season and missed 3 months, returning before the postseason. So again, I question the Suns resigning someone who has missed almost 4 tomes as long who isn't a regular rotation player.
Embed and Kawhi are not 85 percent. Lee has proven he can hit the three

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They would be the very first coaching staff, including a title winning Warriors staff, that felt he was good enough to warrant a role and that was before injury. Honestly if Bud likes Lee enough to have asked for him to return, I'm going to start side eyeing his moves going forward.
Does he have a role though? Aside from riding the bench? I get what you are saying, and I am not confident either.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Embed and Kawhi are not 85 percent. Lee has proven he can hit the three

They were more than 85% since they were cleared for game action. Kawhi sustained his injury vs us in the 2023 playoffs and had started this year playing some of his best basketball as a Clipper and being an All-Star. Embiid has had it happen 3 times, all he's returned on time and produced at about the same level he left at.

This was quoted in the article. You can say that isn't 85% all you want but by Lee's own statement he's not at 100% but hopes to be by training camp in September. Can he still knock down shots? Who knows. You need to be able to move and get open and no ones if he can do that as he wasn't good at that before the injury.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns have Lee and Roddy. The Knicks have Cam Payne and Mikal Bridges. Payne signed for the vet minimum.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You can never have too many shooters. He's here, he's a good locker room guy. If he works out, great, if he doesn't, we'll get rid of him, waive him, whatever. No big loss.

If there was and is a truly better player that is willing to sign for the minimum, Roddy will be the first to go. So for now, what the hell is everyone whining about?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can never have too many shooters. He's here, he's a good locker room guy. If he works out, great, if he doesn't, we'll get rid of him, waive him, whatever. No big loss.

If there was and is a truly better player that is willing to sign for the minimum, Roddy will be the first to go. So for now, what the hell is everyone whining about?
We're discussing a minor yet relevant issue on a discussion board and you're bitching about us doing it. No one's whining.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Are you an athlete in the Suns locker room? See how reductive nonsense like this can be?
You said "most" but are acting like a) you are a doctor and b) you have any clue of the actual situation.

So are you a doctor? I'm stating sources here. You're just pushing to push. Now, please tell me who takes petty swipes at who? You didn't need to respond but you did. I genuinely asked about claims someone should be a HOF'er to be an Olympian and you tried shutting that down by playing the victim. So I think you owe me an apology for trying to bash me before and then this recent hypocritical display on your part. I don't believe I'll get one but it'd be nice.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Are you an athlete in the Suns locker room? See how reductive nonsense like this can be?

So are you a doctor? I'm stating sources here. You're just pushing to push. Now, please tell me who takes petty smiles at who?
You're talking about "pushing to push"? That's rich coming from you.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're talking about "pushing to push"? That's rich coming from you.

What does this mean, Chap? I'm genuinely asking. Not expecting a response but ive tried time and time again with you to bury the hatchet and you keep flinging mud and claiming to be the victim. I'm done. I'm not going to apologize for something I didn't do and I'm not going to walk on eggshells around you.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m ruining out patience.

I told you guys to stop making it personal.

This is warning #2 next time it goes there. The offender will take a time out from the board.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
The problem with Damion Lee is we signed him last season for a two-year deal with a player option for the 2nd. I never understood why we wanted to bring him back, given how he shyed away from taking 3s despite being quite open the 2nd half of the previous season. I guess he wanted to stay with that deal but mgmt talked him into opting out and getting resigned for the same money. This way Suns save a couple million tax and he'd be dumped by waiving or trading away more easily on a financial term.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Lee is our ticket to eventually getting his brother-in-law Steph Curry here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The problem with Damion Lee is we signed him last season for a two-year deal with a player option for the 2nd. I never understood why we wanted to bring him back, given how he shyed away from taking 3s despite being quite open the 2nd half of the previous season. I guess he wanted to stay with that deal but mgmt talked him into opting out and getting resigned for the same money. This way Suns save a couple million tax and he'd be dumped by waiving or trading away more easily on a financial term.
For sure that is the Suns thinking. Much more flexibility. Well, maybe not much more. But some more at least.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Maybe Lee is our ticket to eventually getting his brother-in-law Steph Curry here.
That's just about the only defensible possibility for this... as nearly impossible as it likely is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damion Lee would still be with the Warriors if this were the case.