Suns 2024-2025 Season Discussions

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Where did this opinion come from? The eye test screamed terrible.
Opinion is my own eye test. My recollection was that he's a disaster offball (constantly lost sight of his man, rarely helped out as a secondary defender, etc), but on ball while his feet were slow he had active hands and was good at stripping people on the way up. He still got beat by stronger/faster/more athletic players, but, was at least passable.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is the bench support we need. Someone to cheer on and motivate the team. I am just joking. Its been a very slow and boring offseason for me..

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least we know when the Suns are going to try to exit the 2nd apron, 2026. The Suns will be in it this season and next.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how Mat Ishbia termed possibly exiting the 2nd apron.

Below is from Arizona Sports.

BY KELLAN OLSON Suns reporter, ArizonaSports.com editor:

“Last year didn’t even count,” he said. “So, the next two years we are going to be in the second apron and we are going to be very expensive. Luxury tax is going to be high this year, it’s going to be high again next year. And we’re going to compete and we’re going to see how we do.

“And then the third year we have to try to get out of it. That would probably be the best and most intelligent decision because that would make it so our picks are not frozen and not pushed to the back of the draft.”

That third year would be the salary books for the 2026-27 season. He did state if the Suns are still contending it’s perhaps a different story but that is notably when the contracts of both Kevin Durant ($54.7 million) and Jusuf Nurkic ($19.4 million) expire. The tax is not put into effect and finalized until the end of the season, so the Suns theoretically could go into the season as a second apron team before ducking out of that space by making some deals at the trade deadline.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
At least we know when the Suns are going to try to exit the 2nd apron, 2026. The Suns will be in it this season and next.

They might get under the 2nd apron but they’ll still be way above the cap unless it jumps. Beal’s contract is just a killer.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They might get under the 2nd apron but they’ll still be way above the cap unless it jumps. Beal’s contract is just a killer.

If he is totally in the tubes they could waive and stretch him, or we could ship him as an expiring to some other desperate to get under the cap team... probably not getting back ideal players... maybe a mix of marginally overpaid guys on longer deals.

With the new TV deals the cap should be going up by a pretty big chunk over the next several seasons.

I also think that when they renegotiate the next CBA (2030) the 2nd apron will get either removed or reworked. Everyone hates it and if the league is looking at almost every contender (and wanna be contender) with frozen picks and picks at the end of the draft, they won't let it stand.

Not that I don't think we're screwed though... we're a non-contender that is capped out and doesn't control their draft for 6 years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With the new TV deals the cap should be going up by a pretty big chunk over the next several seasons.

That isn't happening. The new CBA addressed that already and it will increase 10% a year each year rather than a big jump because too few players benefited from the spike last time. That's partially why guys like Timofey Mosgov got $20 million a year. Teams spent stupid amounts on players who weren't deserving because there was more money than players to go around. This way it gives everyone a chance to get a piece of the pie. That's also why guys are all signing extensions early on, there's no need to have an out in case it spikes again.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sounds more like we F'd up making the KD trade, we are going to bite the bullet so we don't have to admit that trade was a mistake, second apron taxes are killing me...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please, give me at least one of Tyus Jones or Precious Achiuwa. There are keepers on this list.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don’t understand Tyus Jones value being next to nothing. 12 ppg, 7 assists (7:1 Turnover Ratio!), 48% shooter and 41% from 3.

That’s a sick backup PG.

I’d kill to have that guy on this team.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I really don’t understand Tyus Jones value being next to nothing. 12 ppg, 7 assists (7:1 Turnover Ratio!), 48% shooter and 41% from 3.

That’s a sick backup PG.

I’d kill to have that guy on this team.
I'm wondering if he and/or his agent are demanding things that nobody is willing to pay.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That isn't happening. The new CBA addressed that already and it will increase 10% a year each year rather than a big jump because too few players benefited from the spike last time. That's partially why guys like Timofey Mosgov got $20 million a year. Teams spent stupid amounts on players who weren't deserving because there was more money than players to go around. This way it gives everyone a chance to get a piece of the pie. That's also why guys are all signing extensions early on, there's no need to have an out in case it spikes again.

I know, 10% a year is a lot. In 3 years the 2nd apron number will likely be around 40 million higher than it is right now.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying the 2nd apron is really killing the 2nd/3rd tier FA markets. Vet mins are still getting signed, max contracts are still getting signed, but teams are afraid of adding salary with MLE and other exceptions because of the apron. I'd guess that's where most of these guys were hoping they'd end up salary wise.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying the 2nd apron is really killing the 2nd/3rd tier FA markets. Vet mins are still getting signed, max contracts are still getting signed, but teams are afraid of adding salary with MLE and other exceptions because of the apron. I'd guess that's where most of these guys were hoping they'd end up salary wise.

Yeah its either max or min contracts now.