Cardinals at Colts PS gameday thread 8-17-24

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he is behind demercado on the depth chart, wolf was saying he would likely get cut, and he makes a lot more money the demercado.
Carter is in the final year of his rookie deal, so it only would only save $2 million agianst this years cap, which doesn't help us. Money has zero to do it with. I bet they move him for a 6th or 7th round pick. Chubbs isn't ready in Cleveland yet and Cincinnati RB room is thin.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Carter is in the final year of his rookie deal, so it only would only save $2 million agianst this years cap, which doesn't help us. Money has zero to do it with. I bet they move him for a 6th or 7th round pick. Chubbs isn't ready in Cleveland yet and Cincinnati RB room is thin.
Yeah, I can see this happening (unfortunatley). Sounds like RB3 has to be special teams and pass blocking type of back.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hope not. The guy makes plays and has the best open field moves of any of our backs.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
This is my thinking. They are going to try to move him.
Connor is #1.
You can argue that Benson closed the gap on Carter with his play against the Colts, He is a fairly highly drafted rookie with huge upside and therefore #2.

Dallas and Demercato are great ST players that both look decent playing, while not on Carter's level.

Where does he fit in that Depth Chart? And being on his final year of his contract.

I think he would be a great player to keep on the team, but the roster spot numbers simply do not add up to keeping him. Only option would be Demercato on the PS and keeping Carter on the 53, but he would have to play ST then.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
This is my thinking. They are going to try to move him.
Connor is #1.
You can argue that Benson closed the gap on Carter with his play against the Colts, He is a fairly highly drafted rookie with huge upside and therefore #2.

Dallas and Demercato are great ST players that both look decent playing, while not on Carter's level.

Where does he fit in that Depth Chart? And being on his final year of his contract.

I think he would be a great player to keep on the team, but the roster spot numbers simply do not add up to keeping him. Only option would be Demercato on the PS and keeping Carter on the 53, but he would have to play ST then.
This is my read as well.

Benson is RB2 to back up Conner and then be RB1 next season. He effectively takes Carter's spot. :(

Dallas is KR/PR and got a decent contract from Monti. Can't see him being cut.

Democardo is RB3 as third down back and special teams contributor.

I don't like it but can see the logic behind it.

Only counter point would be that we are going to be running the ball ALOT this year. So makes sense for us to have another RB simply due to wear and tear.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A shining star in the making.

The Colts broadcasting team said they had eyes on him for themselves and felt he just might be the steal of the draft. Pretty high praise from them. They actually said the Cardinals having all those picks allowed them to steal rabbit from them:)

Budda needs to worry?
I don't think so this year but who knows with this group. Do we know if Taylor-Demerson if technically JT's backup or Budda's?

If the Cardinals really want to elevate DTD, I think either Budda or Thompson could be options to be moved. However, there isn't a huge need to get the roster savings now so the return would need to be high.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It seems that TD, JT and BB are three of our top DB's. So, is there a package that has all three on the field at the same time?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We keep talking about cutting Carter because of too many runningbacks but I would rather we just keep one fewer WR. We already know that if Zach Pascal ends up on the field he isn't going to do anything useful.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think so this year but who knows with this group. Do we know if Taylor-Demerson if technically JT's backup or Budda's?

If the Cardinals really want to elevate DTD, I think either Budda or Thompson could be options to be moved. However, there isn't a huge need to get the roster savings now so the return would need to be high.
Next year…

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We keep talking about cutting Carter because of too many runningbacks but I would rather we just keep one fewer WR. We already know that if Zach Pascal ends up on the field he isn't going to do anything useful.
With where the Cardinals roster is at, I wouldn't be shocked to see them keep an extra RB if they think they can swing him to another team for something in-season. On the other hand, Bidwill can save 3.1 mil by releasing him before week 1 which I am sure has some appeal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Budda isn't signed for next year so there is definitely a spot open in 2025 if they don't extend him.
I wonder if they'd prefer to move Jalen Thompson and his $15 million+ salary over the next two years. Then you can extend Budda Baker to a market extension to his Age 31 season or something.

Baker's the more important player to the franchise, probably. I'm sure Monti looks at the ledger for spending at the safety position and reaches for the Mylanta. Apparently you have to eat $10 million in dead cap on trading Thompson tho.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I wonder if they'd prefer to move Jalen Thompson and his $15 million+ salary over the next two years. Then you can extend Budda Baker to a market extension to his Age 31 season or something.

Baker's the more important player to the franchise, probably. I'm sure Monti looks at the ledger for spending at the safety position and reaches for the Mylanta. Apparently you have to eat $10 million in dead cap on trading Thompson tho.
I would love to extend Budda to a market salary, I just think that is going to be difficult. Big gap between Budda's current salary vs. the market salary. Justin Simmons just signed for 8M. Budda is in that range. Would he accept 8M? Doubt it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It will be interesting to see what Monti chooses to do with no salary cap pressure.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is my read as well.

Benson is RB2 to back up Conner and then be RB1 next season. He effectively takes Carter's spot. :(

Dallas is KR/PR and got a decent contract from Monti. Can't see him being cut.

Democardo is RB3 as third down back and special teams contributor.

I don't like it but can see the logic behind it.

Only counter point would be that we are going to be running the ball ALOT this year. So makes sense for us to have another RB simply due to wear and tear.
Can’t we send Democardo to the PS? I really don’t see that as a risk.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Can’t we send Democardo to the PS? I really don’t see that as a risk.
Probably minimal risk, but he is under contract for 2025 while neither Conner nor Carter are. It mostly depends on your team goals for 2024 as a GM. Are you willing to lose a young player under contract for 2025 in exchange for keeping Michael Carter as your RB2/3, who is a FA in 2025 and costs 3.1 mil, on a 5-7 win team?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Probably minimal risk, but he is under contract for 2025 while neither Conner nor Carter are. It mostly depends on your team goals for 2024 as a GM. Are you willing to lose a young player under contract for 2025 in exchange for keeping Michael Carter as your RB2/3, who is a FA in 2025 and costs 3.1 mil, on a 5-7 win team?
Good point:thumbup: