Cardinals at Colts PS gameday thread 8-17-24

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is my thinking. They are going to try to move him.
Connor is #1.
You can argue that Benson closed the gap on Carter with his play against the Colts, He is a fairly highly drafted rookie with huge upside and therefore #2.

Dallas and Demercato are great ST players that both look decent playing, while not on Carter's level.

Where does he fit in that Depth Chart? And being on his final year of his contract.

I think he would be a great player to keep on the team, but the roster spot numbers simply do not add up to keeping him. Only option would be Demercato on the PS and keeping Carter on the 53, but he would have to play ST then.
I think more and more, Demercado is the guy who goes.

You don't really need two special teams backs. Dallas is going to be the return guy and play on all teams. Carter is just a better RB than Demercado, and he offers a different fit than Benson as a back up to Conner.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think this is a fair point, but you also have to consider what Demercado's upside is. If you view him as only a sub package guy and decent special teamer, you can find guys like that all day long.

If I care about winning this year, Carter is just a better RB.
Probably minimal risk, but he is under contract for 2025 while neither Conner nor Carter are. It mostly depends on your team goals for 2024 as a GM. Are you willing to lose a young player under contract for 2025 in exchange for keeping Michael Carter as your RB2/3, who is a FA in 2025 and costs 3.1 mil, on a 5-7 win team?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Demo is a jag. Michael Carter is a legitimate NFL RB. Hope Wolf is wrong again.
The appeal of Demercado is that he really doesn't have any holes in his game.

While he will most likely never be a primary ball carrier, he can run the rock, catch the football, pas block, and play special teams. Lots to like about him as a #3, and he was a solid scouting find by Monti's crew.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The appeal of Demercado is that he really doesn't have any holes in his game.

While he will most likely never be a primary ball carrier, he can run the rock, catch the football, pas block, and play special teams. Lots to like about him as a #3, and he was a solid scouting find by Monti's crew.
Good point. Michael Carter has real value to a contender if one of their RBs goes down. The smart thing would be to hang on to him, phase Benson in while he works on pass protection, then trade MC to a contender where he can play more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Good point. Michael Carter has real value to a contender if one of their RBs goes down. The smart thing would be to hang on to him, phase Benson in while he works on pass protection, then trade MC to a contender where he can play more.
Maybe. I'd be scared to lose the better ball carrier though, and that's clearly Carter.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter is in the final year of his rookie deal, so it only would only save $2 million agianst this years cap, which doesn't help us. Money has zero to do it with. I bet they move him for a 6th or 7th round pick. Chubbs isn't ready in Cleveland yet and Cincinnati RB room is thin.

Michael disagrees that 2 million doesn't help him

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Love that Benson gets through the first tackler a majority of his runs. Arm tackles won't cut it against Benson.

Here is the hold that was called on Jones(#75). Jones needs to learn to let go of the person he is blocking when his hands get outside of his frame. Very teachable though.

You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

My expectation taking a RB on day two is that he’s the starting RB in year two. I haven’t seen the special feet or ability in the passing game yet but it’s only been one TC and two preseason games. Maybe I remember hearing reports David Johnson’s talent standing out right away too vividly. Maybe it’s an unfair comparison this early but Benson’s college highlights didn’t blow me away and I was “meh” on the pick.