Things I Think I’ve Learned

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Why is it assumed that we would come out hot & if our starters played in the preseason?

Anybody remembered when we looked lethargic in the last preseason game before we came out firing on all cylinders in 2021?

I’ll do you even one better. I remember in 2018 where the starters played pretty good in the preseason. We all know how that turned out the first few games(& season!) that year.
Great example of knocking the rust off in preseason so the team is ready to go day one :)

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We do have many rookies, and other than MHJ all are playing in the PS. So, I'm not criticizing your post, I just don't get your point. Talking about Goldfield's post.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Preseason is completely meaningless. There’s no rust or anything. The players will have adjusted to “game” rather quickly. It’s not like the old days when they used camp to get in shape. It a 365 day/year job now.
They get their work in the shared practices with other teams.

College football doesn’t have a preseason and they seem to do fine and there are some prime matchups week 1.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Preseason is completely meaningless. There’s no rust or anything. The players will have adjusted to “game” rather quickly. It’s not like the old days when they used camp to get in shape. It a 365 day/year job now.
They get their work in the shared practices with other teams.

College football doesn’t have a preseason and they seem to do fine and there are some prime matchups week 1.
lol @ 365 day a year job…. Not even close

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think guys are taking months off and doing nothing?
They have a couple mini camps. May get together for a few days with Kyler for example here and there as has been shown. Lift some weights. But by and large they are not working on their craft 365 days of the year no way no how. They have boat loads of time off….

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
They have a couple mini camps. May get together for a few days with Kyler for example here and there as has been shown. Lift some weights. But by and large they are not working on their craft 365 days of the year no way no how. They have boat loads of time off….
Ok.
I’m sure they’re partying all the other time and will “get back in the groove” about June. lol.

Maybe 365 was an exaggeration but todays players are focused.

I talk to former NFL player Bobby Carpenter all the time. These guys train and are ready to go almost year round. If not, they’re out of the league quickly.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
Ok.
I’m sure they’re partying all the other time and will “get back in the groove” about June. lol.

Maybe 365 was an exaggeration but todays players are focused.

I talk to former NFL player Bobby Carpenter all the time. These guys train and are ready to go almost year round. If not, they’re out of the league quickly.
From what I've heard, smart players basically take six weeks off after the season, but this doesn't mean that they get fat and out of shape. They still work out, but it's a less intense workout.

Between OTAs and Mandatory Mini, they take a few weeks off before training camp to rest a bit for TC and the season.

It's definitely not a ton of time off. Anyone in a physically demanding job understands that you just can't train your body like they do all of the time.

I agree it's pretty much a year long job. Sure they take a little time off from hardcore training, but that's out of necessity.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What if foregoing a strong effort at making the playoffs this year, is predicated on the idea of having the resources/personnel/culture for a strong effort at making the playoffs for the next five years?

What if we forego some wins this year in an effort to build a franchise that wins consistently for the next five years? :)

I could be wrong my friend, but I think that's the plan.

In the parity-rich NFL, building a consistently above-average team is I'm sure a careful, thoughtful process.
With the youth on this team and all that unused caproom they could have done both.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You tried.
Actually I think you made an argument for him. You want to look lethargic in that last preseason game not the opener.

I don’t know my own mind in this debate. I tend to lean traditionalist in these matters, but I get wanting avoid injuries in preseason too. But just for the purposes of this argument the statement you made supports stouts position more than undermines it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
With the youth on this team and all that unused caproom they could have done both.
It's hard to argue otherwise. Monti seems risk-averse. I understand why he did look for a pass rusher in FA, but at some point, he's going to have to take a risk in FA or in the trade market. I'd feel a lot better if Danielle Hunter, Jonathan Greenard, Haason Reddick, Matthew Judon or Bryce Huff were acquired.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard to argue otherwise. Monti seems risk-averse. I understand why he did look for a pass rusher in FA, but at some point, he's going to have to take a risk in FA or in the trade market. I'd feel a lot better if Danielle Hunter, Jonathan Greenard, Haason Reddick, Matthew Judon or Bryce Huff were acquired.
I don't. This years team is not going to compete for a championship. Best to focus on building up a young core. You never know if the problem can get solved by a young cheap option.

The time for expensive free agent acquisitions is when you have a nearly complete team and are trying to put it over the top, otherwise it is just bad management.

Stout

Reaction score
Actually I think you made an argument for him. You want to look lethargic in that last preseason game not the opener.

I don’t know my own mind in this debate. I tend to lean traditionalist in these matters, but I get wanting avoid injuries in preseason too. But just for the purposes of this argument the statement you made supports stouts position more than undermines it.
That's where I fall.

Stout

Reaction score
I don't. This years team is not going to compete for a championship. Best to focus on building up a young core. You never know if the problem can get solved by a young cheap option.

The time for expensive free agent acquisitions is when you have a nearly complete team and are trying to put it over the top, otherwise it is just bad management.
No, ruining your cap for expensive free agent acquisitions is bad management in our position and this scenario. None of those moves would have ruined our cap or come close to it.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don’t know if you two are close friends or not, but you don’t need to be Stout’s shield in every back & forth.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score

Winning begets winning.

Let's say for argument's sake that the Cardinals lose a few games by a point or two and the difference could have been a good pass rusher. And the Cardinals finished 8-9 when they could have been 10-7. That two-game swing could be huge for the overall morale of the team, the fans, and the overall outlook of the team.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2-3--Really frustrates me. I get the injury argument, but showing your belly for a few crucial weeks to start the season and almost treating the regular season games like preseason games to get the team up to speed is dumb, but...

While it doesn't bother me Kyler isn't playing, I would have liked the OL to get in a some time. Especially with the tackle changes. While it's only two new player, it's 3 position changes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The problem with somewhat writing off this year is how it distorts the performance of others. Not having a pass rush hurts the secondary’s performance. A poorer than necessary O-line makes it harder on the runners to perform and I believe increases the chance of a QB injury from a sack. I just don’t agree with the philosophy.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the 49ers, Dolphins and Lions aren't thinking playoffs either? Losts of teams with lots of space. To say this is a throw away season feels like 100% speculation.

Yes, we have a couple of glaring holes, but I know Gannon will be playing to win and if this offense clicks and the defense isn't bottom 5, we can definitely make a WC push.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stout

Reaction score
So the 49ers, Dolphins and Lions aren't thinking playoffs either? Losts of teams with lots of space. To say this is a throw away season feels like 100% speculation.

Yes, we have a couple of glaring holes, but I know Gannon will be playing to win and if this offense clicks and the defense isn't bottom 5, we can definitely make a WC push.

You must be registered for see images attach
Uh, we aren't them. They have really good rosters and a lot of strengths. So, for them to sit on cap space isn't weird. For us, with the holes we have? A whole different ball game, man.