Inquiring minds want to know. Ya or nay? Cuts around the league.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There weren't a lot of people crying about Reddick at the time. Another guy who was a solid pro but didn't live up to Keim's expectations and the Hardy Drive hype machine so he was shown the door.

While I made fun of the Collins extension, that is the kind of thing that smart teams do. No, they didn't live up to the hype, but you have a good roster player who's a culture fit and has a fair chance of outperforming his contract significantly.

I'll hold my hands up and say I argued against it, but when talk he was to pay him around $15m. He had a 10 sack season, but 5 of them in one game against a bad Giants line.

But he eventually signed for $8m elsewhere which was peanuts. I imagine he just wanted away from here after wasting him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is one area we need to look at. I don't like keeping only 3 TEs and one being a rookie and one year 2.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'll hold my hands up and say I argued against it, but when talk he was to pay him around $15m. He had a 10 sack season, but 5 of them in one game against a bad Giants line.

But he eventually signed for $8m elsewhere which was peanuts. I imagine he just wanted away from here after wasting him.
He actually signed a $6MM deal per OTC.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, it was a 12.5 sack and 15 TFL season while being amongst league leaders in pressures. He was worth 15 million for one year on a tag to see if that was gonna continue.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This might be worth a shot

Had 1.5 sacks as a rookie in limited snap last year. Had a good pre season. Knows Xavier Thomas well.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing the organization does is ever a problem to some of you - you'll always have an explanation about why it's ok.
Do you really think Rondale was in the coaching staffs plans considering how he was used last year? Clearly by the end of the year Dortch had taken his role.

I am not excusing management at all - just calling it how I see it, the coaches did not want Moore, therefore this trade was a free trial for Ridder that may or may not work out.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had over 500 yards last year, and some were touting him as our backup RB. Atlanta traded for him for a reason. Sure he's not a world beater, but getting nothing for him isn't great!
They traded for him because they were done with Ridder and were taking what they could get for him.

At most Rondale was worth a 7th rounder, because he is not a receiver anyone wants to be a starter. I wasn't sure of that till last season, but after last season it was clear he was never going to be any good.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Do you really think Rondale was in the coaching staffs plans considering how he was used last year? Clearly by the end of the year Dortch had taken his role.
I guess not - he was the 3rd most targeted WR on the team last year (ahead of Wilson), and had the 3rd highest total of carries for non-qb's.
I am not excusing management at all - just calling it how I see it, the coaches did not want Moore, therefore this trade was a free trial for Ridder that may or may not work out.
Yeah, and it didn't. In the grand scheme of things, probably not that big of a deal, but now we have another hole to fill at QB. Not great!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess not - he was the 3rd most targeted WR on the team last year (ahead of Wilson), and had the 3rd highest total of carries for non-qb's.

I was the biggest Rondale supporter on this board. I hated to see him get traded. He was the nicest kid and was very close to my friend who used to coach for the Cardinals. Unfortunately freak injuries have followed Rondale his entire career. So I understand why this staff moved on from him. That long history of injuries and this staff wanted to get bigger at the WR position are the two main reasons they traded him.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be worth a shot

Had 1.5 sacks as a rookie in limited snap last year. Had a good pre season. Knows Xavier Thomas well.

Then why would they cut him?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I was the biggest Rondale supporter on this board. I hated to see him get traded. He was the nicest kid and was very close to my friend who used to coach for the Cardinals. Unfortunately freak injuries have followed Rondale his entire career. So I understand why this staff moved on from him. That long history of injuries and this staff wanted to get bigger at the WR position are the two main reasons they traded him.
Yeah, the fact that he was injured in college was definitely not reassuring to a long career in the NFL.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we should try to get Tyler Huntley. The Browns are keeping DTR and Jameis Winston as backups, unless someone trades for him, Huntley should be available on the waivers.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Moore and Dortch were not used the same. They didn't share many strengths aside from being tiny and fast. Moore was an above average blocker and worked out of the back field a lot. Dortch is good underneath zone coverage. Moore ran better routes and could get some separation, but Dortch has better hands and is shifty once gets the ball. The coaches see more upside in Dortch and running better routes can be fixed, hopefully. While I didn't want either back, I hope Dortch proves me wrong and worked on his weaknesses. I am still concerned about blocking, but since we have a lot actual adult sized WRs, hopefully that won't be a glaring hole.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Moore and Dortch were not used the same. They didn't share many strengths aside from being tiny and fast. Moore was an above average blocker and worked out of the back field a lot. Dortch is good underneath zone coverage. Moore ran better routes and could get some separation, but Dortch has better hands and is shifty once gets the ball. The coaches see more upside in Dortch and running better routes can be fixed, hopefully. While I didn't want either back, I hope Dortch proves me wrong and worked on his weaknesses. I am still concerned about blocking, but since we have a lot actual adult sized WRs, hopefully that won't be a glaring hole.
While I agree that Rondale and Dortch are different kinds of players who are just tiny relative to the average man and also NFL football players, I really disagree with how you characterize the players.

Rondale Moore was never able to become a good route-runner or get consistent separation. Dortch excels at getting separation in tight areas, and also getting open with subtle moves from the slot or (and this is really important) on the outside. Dortch will never be a true X receiver, but he showed himself as capable in that role with us as Hollywood Brown.

I think Dortch really struggled with reading defenses and finding the right place to go on option routes, which is why two coaching staffs refused to put him on the field until they were out of options.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I agree that Rondale and Dortch are different kinds of players who are just tiny relative to the average man and also NFL football players, I really disagree with how you characterize the players.

Rondale Moore was never able to become a good route-runner or get consistent separation. Dortch excels at getting separation in tight areas, and also getting open with subtle moves from the slot or (and this is really important) on the outside. Dortch will never be a true X receiver, but he showed himself as capable in that role with us as Hollywood Brown.

I think Dortch really struggled with reading defenses and finding the right place to go on option routes, which is why two coaching staffs refused to put him on the field until they were out of options.

You make great points, especially with Dortch in tight areas and not reading defenses. For Moore and separation, I should have said down field separation. How many open drops did he get in the end zone the last 3 years? But otherwise, I do agree. But neither are great great route runners, Moore was just better and was probably more to do with reading the defense.

Either way, Dortch is the only tiny WR left and it's chance to shine if he can!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Parham would be decent depth for us at TE