15 thoughts - first round

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 - Isaiah Simmons: ”you only get 53 on a roster and I feel like if you draft me you've got 56."

2 – George Kittle had a bad night.

3 – The closer we got to the pick, the more I realized I wanted Simmons. It is like the ultimate test. When Goodell announced the Panthers’ pick, what name do you want him to say? When he announce the Cards’ pick, who do you want him to say? I wanted Derrick Brown or Simmons – and don’t get me wrong, I would have been thrilled with Brown – but that exact moment is where you separate your wishes.

4 – Simmons has the potential to transform the defense. They already has superstars on the roster, and Simmons could be yet another transcendent chess piece. I am not at all as critical of Vance Joseph as many others on this board, but I think it is fair to say that he doesn’t really have any excuses now.

5 – I thought it was kind of “interesting” that the Cards picked their linebacker (stay with me, we can discuss his position later), and later the Seahawks pick the linebacker Kingsbury recruited and developed at Texas Tech.

6 – Personality means something to me. I don’t like to have idiots on my favorite team (though, if they are great players I can accept it), and Simmons just seems like a very bright and respectful young man. Sure, these prospects are trained to handle the media, but some still seem more genuine than others.

7 – The first thing every quarterback is going to do when he gets to the line of scrimmage is to find out where Simmons is.

8 – Did you see Kingsbury chilling in his couch? In his own completely different way he is not much less cool than Arians.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

9 – I am just going to shamelessly quote myself from my two pre-draft posts: “Simmons out of Clemson is the most exciting prospect in this class. Not necessarily who I want the most, but the most electrifying. Positionless players are the new trend in the NFL, and this guy can pretty much line up in any defensive position.”“Isaiah Simmons, linebacker, Clemson (the first thing any quarterback will look after, when he gets to the line of scrimmage, is where Simmons are. Could be cool to have a unique quarterback, that the league has never seen before, and a unique defender, that the league has never seen before.”

10 – And to my point in that quote, for the first time since I became a fan in 2008 (or 2007? Don’t remember) I suppose the Cards will be must-watch-TV for the common NFL fan.

11 – I was not at all surprised he lasted until #8. Barring someone trading up, I expected only the Giants or Panthers to be a risk to take him, and really it was probably only the Panthers I was really in doubt with.

12 – Did you read the praise from Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney about Simmons? Granted, he probably has not been asked since, but the last time I heard him talk that glowingly about a player it was Deshaun Watson.

13 – To me, Daryl Washington is the perfect comparison. And Washington was highly dominant on that defense.

14 – Was it Jeff Gollin who asked if you would be more willing to trade future picks because of the uncertainty of the season? I am sorry if it was someone else. I think it is a highly interesting point. Or would you be even more hesitant to do it, knowing that it can be extremely difficult to scout the players next season, simply because there might not be any games?

15 – My board from now would be something like this, but I am not trading up for anyone else than Niang (yeah, I would not mind some help on the lines):

Offensive tackle Lucas Niang, TCU

Offensive tackle Matt Peart, UConn

Defensive tackle Ross Blacklock, TCU

Defensive tackle Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M

Defensive tackle Raekwon Davis, Alabama

Cornerback Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State

Center Matt Hennessy, Temple

Offensive tackle Robert Hunt, Louisiana

Edge rusher Darrell Taylor, Tennessee (but no, go for Clowney)

Safety Antoine Winfield, Minnesota

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Washington comparison is interesting just looking at measurables Simmons is actually a little taller and heavier (which surprised me).

Washington at combine was 6' 2" 230
Simmons 6' 3 5/8" 238

Simmons blew him away in athletic testing but I think if we can get Washington like production without the off the field garbage we'd be pretty pleased.

Keim compared him to Urlacher, who played mostly safety in college, but Urlacher had 20 lbs on him (based on his combine measurables). Again Simmons surpassed him in all the athletic testing.

I am excited about the pick and the possibilities, he can play all over as a rookie gaining experience and then settle in and thrive as an ILB next season when Campbell is gone.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
#4. Okay Vance. The heat is on you. We replaced about 40% of the talent on your squad. Feel the heat.

Id like a olineman, but I think we need to add a badass D-lineman. Keeping Simmons clean to roam and make plays.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Some surprise picks yesterday and some surprise non picks too. Clyde Edwards-Helaire as the first RB off the board. Cesar Ruiz gone already. Yetur Gross-Matos still on the board. Isaiah Wilson gone. Josh Jones still there. Jordyn Brooks gone.

Should the Cardinals move up to get someone like Matos or Jones?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Id like a olineman, but I think we need to add a badass D-lineman. Keeping Simmons clean to roam and make plays.

Slanidrac, I have been thinking the exact same thing. Washington was so dominant because he was covered up by a very strong defensive line, and I think Simmons needs the same. After all, he had that at Clemson. I think I would change my mentioned draft board to have the two defensive tackles at three and four as number two and three.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Cardpa, I expect offensive tackle Lucas Niang to be off the board very soon tonight, but if I am wrong, I would gladly try to trade up for him, and I would give up a decent amount of assets to do so. But I am not trading up for anyone else.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cardpa, I expect offensive tackle Lucas Niang to be off the board very soon tonight, but if I am wrong, I would gladly try to trade up for him, and I would give up a decent amount of assets to do so. But I am not trading up for anyone else.
Gross- Matos would be a coup.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don't think we have the capital to move up in this draft. We'll have to be content to hear in our minds "With the 8th pick in the second round, the Cardinals select DeAndre Hopkins".
And got rid of David Johnson!

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
#4. Okay Vance. The heat is on you. We replaced about 40% of the talent on your squad. Feel the heat.

Keim even mentioned in his interview on the draft podcast that he told VJ "if they still can't cover tight ends it's on you" or something like that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some surprise picks yesterday and some surprise non picks too. Clyde Edwards-Helaire as the first RB off the board. Cesar Ruiz gone already. Yetur Gross-Matos still on the board. Isaiah Wilson gone. Josh Jones still there. Jordyn Brooks gone.

Definitely surprised Clyde went that early. Love him as a player but didn't see a RB in the first round.

Was surprised the first Wr was Ruggs and that Jeudy and Lamb lasted to 15 and 17 but I guess with a good WR draft, teams are less likely to move up to grab one.

I guess we'll see but I think Kinlaw was a risky pick for the Niners. I get great athlete but when his name was being rumored to us I looked at him a fair bit. Most scouts say the same thing plays too high, and lacks good technique, very inconsistent, will often completely take himself out of plays because he tends to guess. He also had hip surgery which is a big red flag for me because of basketball. It seems like guys who get hip issues(the Shipp brothers, Kevon Looney etc) get it because of some thing where they're actually born with a predisposition to blow out their hip. he had a torn labrum which is the same issue those other guys had. He also said he'd been playing in pain for awhile before the surgery, also has a history of back issues and several teams flagged him in physicals because they said his knees looked like if he didn't already have arthritis he soon would. People forget he was 350 pounds when he got to college after JC, he was overweight for years and while according to NFL.com no teams pulled him off the board for the injuries, several teams expressed concern.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 – The closer we got to the pick, the more I realized I wanted Simmons. It is like the ultimate test. When Goodell announced the Panthers’ pick, what name do you want him to say? When he announce the Cards’ pick, who do you want him to say? I wanted Derrick Brown or Simmons – and don’t get me wrong, I would have been thrilled with Brown – but that exact moment is where you separate your wishes.

My son and I literally went nuts when the Panthers selected Brown and we knew that Simmons fell to us.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shocker pick for me last night was Green Bay taking Love.

I was shocked, WC. They were in the NFC Championship game last year, and Rodgers is still very good. And his contract most likely prevents them from get out of it for at least two years. I simply don’t get it, but of course, if they go another 10 years without looking for a quarterback then the joke is on me.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
T
I was shocked, WC. They were in the NFC Championship game last year, and Rodgers is still very good. And his contract most likely prevents them from get out of it for at least two years. I simply don’t get it, but of course, if they go another 10 years without looking for a quarterback then the joke is on me.

I am one of the few who like that they took advantage of the unique situation of being able to secure their future at QB. In a little different vain, I wish the Cards would think ahead also and grab Jalen Hurts. To me it is a great cheap insurance policy for our QB position. Considering Murray's size and moblity, it is a given he will get hurt seriously sooner or later like so many qbs do. Hurts would not cost much, could be taught to step right in and run the exact same offence that we have invested our immediate future on. To me it just makes sense since I believe Hurts has the potential to be really good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am one of the few who like that they took advantage of the unique situation of being able to secure their future at QB. In a little different vain, I wish the Cards would think ahead also and grab Jalen Hurts. To me it is a great cheap insurance policy for our QB position. Considering Murray's size and moblity, it is a given he will get hurt seriously sooner or later like so many qbs do. Hurts would not cost much, could be taught to step right in and run the exact same offence that we have invested our immediate future on. To me it just makes sense since I believe Hurts has the potential to be really good.

I actually both agree and disagree on this post, Sissy. Jordan Love was not a very high pick, so it is likely they would get the same chance again, and though they were obviously very intrigued by Love, I would guess there would come another quarterback along the next couple of years that they like. I would have taken advantage of Rodgers’ last good years by giving him some weapons. Of course they can do that today and tomorrow, but there is obviously a reason players gets pick in the first round (that they are the biggest talents).

Regarding Jalen Hurts I have actually thought the same as you, and I would not be highly disappointed if they did select him in the third round. Also, though he is first and foremost a quarterback, he can be utilized in different ways, and I just trust Kingsbury to deploy him in different ways right away.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From Albert Breer, who I regard as a good and trustworthy reporter:

"This is always a good day to double back with people on how they had players graded, and it really is stark seeing the difference in opinions on new Cardinals LB/S Isaiah Simmons. On one hand, I don’t think he was much of a consideration for any of the teams picking in the top seven, for varying reasons. On the other, I had one veteran defensive coordinator say to me on Friday morning that he gave Simmons “the highest grade I’ve ever given. If used correctly, he’s the defensive Michael Jordan of this draft.” And that DC wasn’t alone, I know another team that had him ranked right alongside Chase Young. All of this, as I see it, is a product of how different a prospect he is."

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
T

I don't understand how anyone thinks this is a good idea. Number 1 the guy is not going to see the field for at least 2 years. Second Rogers was begging for receiver help. 3rd Rogers is an A-hole and they have straight up provoked him.

Basically I think they have ruined their team of ever competing with Rogers as QB.

After what they did, they should start trying to trade Rogers now, because nothing good is going to come of this.