2005 Warner vs 2013 Palmer

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont care what your name is if you can throw for 4k yards this year.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Exactly. Now give that guy Fitzgerald, Floyd and Andre Roberts.

Add Rob Housler... And hopefully a speed receiver.

And an improved oline.

And an improved running game.

And a better coaching staff.

and dreaming is free...

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
My feelings exactly.

If we do get him I hope it is a short, inexpensive and incentive based contract.

It's tough to find a website with an accurate current cap number. Overthecap has us at a cap number of $114.5M and Spotrac has it at $110.7M. So while I've nothing against the idea of bringing in Palmer, I agree that it would need to be a short cap friendly contract. I just wonder, though, given his proven willingness to quit football once if he didn't get what he wanted in Oakland, would he be willing to play for that kind of contract here? It looks to me like he doesn't have any workout bonuses or other types of bonuses due either, so they could keep him quite awhile before cutting him (which would limit our options in bringing him here).

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's tough to find a website with an accurate current cap number. Overthecap has us at a cap number of $114.5M and Spotrac has it at $110.7M. So while I've nothing against the idea of bringing in Palmer, I agree that it would need to be a short cap friendly contract. I just wonder, though, given his proven willingness to quit football once if he didn't get what he wanted in Oakland, would he be willing to play for that kind of contract here? It looks to me like he doesn't have any workout bonuses or other types of bonuses due either, so they could keep him quite awhile before cutting him (which would limit our options in bringing him here).

it occurred to me they may just sit on him till the june first cuts just to screw him out of finding a decent roster spot elsewhere since he would not restructure his deal.......

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
it occurred to me they may just sit on him till the june first cuts just to screw him out of finding a decent roster spot elsewhere since he would not restructure his deal.......

They could sit on him trying to force him to restructure in order to make a trade, also, or hoping he'll change his mind, or so they can split his dead money between this year and next. Or yeah, just out of spite. Regardless, he's under contract and they have no incentive to cut him sooner rather than later. My guess is that if we hadn't had to give Kolb a $2M bonus earlier this month, he'd still be on our roster.

OP
OP
Reddog

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They could sit on him trying to force him to restructure in order to make a trade, also, or hoping he'll change his mind, or so they can split his dead money between this year and next. Or yeah, just out of spite. Regardless, he's under contract and they have no incentive to cut him sooner rather than later. My guess is that if we hadn't had to give Kolb a $2M bonus earlier this month, he'd still be on our roster.

That actually works to our advantage because even if we draft a guy he will probably be more developmental than a day one starter. We could trade or release Hoyer and then we would have a line up of Palmer, Stanton & Rookie. If we don't draft a QB then its Palmer, Stanton and Hoyer. We are probably weaker than most at QB so upsetting our roster that late wouldn't be out of the question. It would be more an issue of having limited time to assimilate him into the playbook.