2007 NBA Draft chat!

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Jeez.. Being here in Oklahoma City I'm torn between cheering for the Sonics and Suns. lol.. very odd place to be. But really both are doing good I suppose. Suns got PG for future potentially, and small forward to help makeup for a future trade of Marion. Sonics arent screwing it up, which is why their doing a good job.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Suns spin only chap will buy :p

Steve Kerr just came into the media room and explained that the Suns were all set to make a Top 10 pick today.
Instead, he said, the team the Suns were dealing that owned a Top 10 pick called 15 minutes before the start of the draft and said they were going in a different direction.
Kerr also said the team was going to use both of their first-round selections if there were two players that they had targeted available. Instead, only one, Alando Tucker, was.
The available money the Suns will get from Portland -- approximately $3 million -- "will give us flexibility in other areas."
Kerr said he'll hit the free agency trail immediately after the draft.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve Kerr just came into the media room and explained that the Suns were all set to make a Top 10 pick today.
Instead, he said, the team the Suns were dealing that owned a Top 10 pick called 15 minutes before the start of the draft and said they were going in a different direction.
Kerr also said the team was going to use both of their first-round selections if there were two players that they had targeted available. Instead, only one, Alando Tucker, was.
The available money the Suns will get from Portland -- approximately $3 million -- "will give us flexibility in other areas."

Don't be a fool. I am definitely not happy we sold the pick, but to turn around and call Sarver cheap is stupid. You don't call the owner of a championship-level club well over the salary cap "cheap".

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't be a fool. I am definitely not happy we sold the pick, but to turn around and call Sarver cheap is stupid. You don't call the owner of a championship-level club well over the salary cap "cheap".

What about an asshat? Can I call him an asshat?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And why hasn't our simple trade been made official? All the other small trades have been made official. There is a pretty good chance IMO there is another piece involved in that trade--perhaps Taurean Green with this next pick, traded to us with cash for Fernandez?

EDIT: So much for that idea, although McRoberts is an odd choice.

Last edited:

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score

That's a poor excuse.

Then, why didn't they draft Tucker at 24 if this wasn't about the $$$? Selling 1st round draft picks is just odd. Especially, when most are claiming this to be the deepest draft in years.

The only thing that has been constant in relation to Suns upper management and their recent draft history is: Robert Sarver.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Has there been any statements about the Suns' pick of Tucker? He doesn't seem the kind of athlete we would want.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
The NBA is so strange.. Why do teams trade picks for cash? I will never understand that.. As though their short on money? Im too "NFL" to get this draft.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a poor excuse.

Then, why didn't they draft Tucker at 24 if this wasn't about the $$$? Selling 1st round draft picks is just odd. Especially, when most are claiming this to be the deepest draft in years.

The only thing that has been constant in relation to Suns upper management and their recent draft history is: Robert Sarver.

seriously - what would have happened if Tucker got taken at 25, 26, 27, 28? If there were three guys we like and one of them was there, why not take him at 24? Probably because they could get more money for 24 than 29, which means they risked getting a guy they like for a couple bucks. that doesn't make sense.

thank god my boss' pilot got picked up today! I would be hell on earth on this board if it didn't but because it did, WHO FREAKING CARES! Go FOAMY! GO!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Alando Tucker
Small Forward (Rank: #41) | 6-5, 205 | Age: 23
Wisconsin ()
Hometown: Lockport, IL

Draft Projection: Late first to early second

Positives: Excellent athlete with explosive leaping ability. Strong. Aggressive around the basket. Works his way to the basket and is a good finisher around the rim. Has developed a decent midrange jumper. Excellent, physical defender.

Negatives: Lacks reliable perimeter skills. Not much range from three-point line. Below- average free throw shooter. Not a great ballhandler. Undersized for his position.

Summary: A power forward in a two guard's body. Had an excellent season for Wisconsin, but questions about his fit in the NBA continue to hurt his stock. On the first-round bubble, but teams are intrigued.

he is far from an "excellent athlete" or from having "explosive leaping ability" - anyone else that's watched him (and i watched him a lot this season) back me up. he's a dirt worker. he'll play hard. but his skills just don't seem to match what the suns need or want. i don't hate the pick, but i don't think he's a gem that we've uncovered.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has there been any statements about the Suns' pick of Tucker? He doesn't seem the kind of athlete we would want.

maybe they're hoping he'll be another Raja - seems to have the same body-type/rough aroudn the edges/hard worker thing going for him that Raja had when he came into the league before he developed his three ball.

OP
OP
mribnik

mribnik

Reaction score

It sounds to me like he's an excellent athlete that didn't always get to use his athletic ability in a slow-down Wisconsin offense. Nbadraft.net says he has a 38" vertical jump and pretty much every place says he has explosive athleticism and a very quick jump. I bet he looked great in the Suns workouts.

OP
OP
mribnik

mribnik

Reaction score
he is far from an "excellent athlete" or from having "explosive leaping ability" - anyone else that's watched him (and i watched him a lot this season) back me up. he's a dirt worker. he'll play hard. but his skills just don't seem to match what the suns need or want. i don't hate the pick, but i don't think he's a gem that we've uncovered.

I watched him and would agree that I didn't necessarily see that athleticism when I watched him. He's listed with a 38" vertical jump though and every site says he's very athletic.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
maybe they're hoping he'll be another Raja - seems to have the same body-type/rough aroudn the edges/hard worker thing going for him that Raja had when he came into the league before he developed his three ball.

Hard worker often = dev league.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did Anyone see just how screwed the suns got in the trade for #24???

The Blazers also bought the #30 pick from the Sixers 6 PICKS LATER THAN THE SUNS.. for the SAME AMOUNT of money...

AND GAVE THE SIXERS THE 42ND PICK!!!

I can't begin to tell you how incompetent the suns front office truly is.... Do they even care about Basketball, or is it all about the money...

Because though the 42nd pick isn't worth much, IM SURE if we pressed, we could have sold the #24 pick, and gotten the blazers 33rd pick as well...

It just goes to show just how bad the Suns Front office is....:bang:

ARGH.....

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

The Blazers also bought the #30 pick from the Sixers 6 PICKS LATER THAN THE SUNS.. for the SAME AMOUNT of money...

Ineptitude.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have got to say that Portland is going to be dangerous down the road.

Look at the pieces they got.

Jack/Rodriguez/Francis/Kopponen
Roy/Fernandez
McRoberts/Miles/???
Aldridge/Frye
Oden

I don't know of any other vets on their roster but they have got some talent to work with and have only 2 bad contracts w/ Francis & Miles, totally revamping their roster and cleaning up their image.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I am not going to get too excited about any late first round pick, I recall all those posts on how totally awesome Dijon Thompson was.

Most likely the 24 or 29 is a tweener that has a 10% chance to make an immediate impact soon.After watching this video I believe this is the case with this guy too. He looks like a small 3.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

I can't begin to tell you how incompetent the suns front office truly is.... Do they even care about Basketball, or is it all about the money...

Because though the 42nd pick isn't worth much, IM SURE if we pressed, we could have sold the #24 pick, and gotten the blazers 33rd pick as well...

ARGH.....

Ouch, Kerr is getting tossed around like a salad. Bring back D'Antoni!

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score

ARGH.....

Its because we deal with the face of desparation. What a job Portland pulled on us. I wonder if the nuetered yes man media will mention the hosing. The other GM s out there must just love yanking our chain.

Kerr gets a D on his first assignment.