2009 San Francisco 49ers "Season" thread!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
9ers are 0-5 coming off their last 5 bye weeks. Heard that on ESPN, is that true?

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
9ers are 0-5 coming off their last 5 bye weeks. Heard that on ESPN, is that true?

The 9ers last won the post bye week game in 2003, against the Steelers. So, true.

Checked it on NFL.com.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crabtree looked good out there today!
So did Smith......Lots of positives from this game.
Battles muffed punt really hurt.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but..Shawn Hill's winning percentage...aacck...:billthecat:

Crabtree looked good yesterday.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crabtree tampering case is still moving forward
The source says that the investigation is proceeding. Details as to who has and hasn't been interviewed are sketchy. Because the league office has no jurisdiction over players or agents in matters of this nature, Crabtree and his representative, Eugene Parker, have the right to refuse to cooperate.

The wild card in this equation is Deion Sanders. Technically, he's a league employee, via his relationship with NFL Network. So he could be compelled to talk.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/29/crabtree-tampering-case-is-still-moving-forward/

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Crabtree is going to be a stud......Thanks Raiders
VD= Probowl
I'm not as nervous with Alex Smith quarterbacking this team.....he only made me yell "oh crap twice".....huge improvement.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thus, while evaluating Sunday's game here at Lucas Oil Stadium, the principal issue was whether Smith showed enough moxie, strength and poise to inspire belief that 10 victories are possible.
The verdict here is yes.
Smith has changed that equation. It's no accident that Sunday, Gore uncorked his first long touchdown run in six weeks. On the 49ers' other score, a pass from the 8-yard line, Smith threw a laser to tight end Vernon Davis that sailed past a retreating linebacker so quickly, he never saw it. Later, Smith dropped in a ball perfectly over yet another linebacker on an out pattern to Michael Crabtree, who had six receptions Sunday.
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_13692052
I hope that Alex turns out to be a good quarterback.
He's looked solid the past two games

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_13692052
I hope that Alex turns out to be a good quarterback.
He's looked solid the past two games

It may just be me, but it seems that when you get a OK QB who's just put in the lineup, they light the world on fire for the first few games. I think it's because there's no recent game tape on them, which leaves defenses unprepared. After a few games, however, D's can start really preparing for them, have a good feel of the plays that will be called, and will make the QB appear much more average.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It may just be me, but it seems that when you get a OK QB who's just put in the lineup, they light the world on fire for the first few games. I think it's because there's no recent game tape on them, which leaves defenses unprepared. After a few games, however, D's can start really preparing for them, have a good feel of the plays that will be called, and will make the QB appear much more average.
That's a good point........Should be interesting to see how Alex plays after other team defense's get tape on him.
He should have a very good game against the titans.....the titans are last in past defense.
Two things that I'm impressed with Alex Smith is that when flubs up, he doesn't hang his head....(2) Alex doesn't stare down the receiver.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Smith looked solid on the last drive of the first half vs. the Colts. I didn't see him do much after that in that game.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Alex Smith looked solid on the last drive of the first half vs. the Colts. I didn't see him do much after that in that game.

He seemed pretty average to me on Sunday, not much better than Hill. Like you said, he only led one scoring drive the entire game.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He seemed pretty average to me on Sunday, not much better than Hill. Like you said, he only led one scoring drive the entire game.

Against a prevent defense. Reminds me of Plummer.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It was the end of the half so I made it up based on that. :)
Fair enough.....there was a roughing the passer on a colts blitz, could've been a real ugly injury to alex smith. Plus Alex was calling his own plays on that drive....that alone gets :thumbup::thumbup: from me.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just as excited, however, to see Alex Smith back in there. His resurgence really is a good thing for this team. The guy looked confident and he looked like a leader. The 'Niners lost, but I was impressed by what I saw. Here's the thing: Smith finally fits in because he has a decent defense. He doesn't have to do as much as he had to do two years ago, when he'd sling the ball around to catch up. That wasn't his game. Now he can call a normal football game; he can hand off to Frank Gore; he can play small ball. I think we'll see a whole new side of Alex Smith.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/11/03/bus.stops/index.html#ixzz0Vv0TgoNM

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:)
--On Alex Smith: "He's got the arm strength to make all the throws. The thing that's impressive is when he came in, he was accurate, he was poised, he used the snap count to draw them offsides at home. He was on time. He made plays. The offense was such that they gave them a chance."
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/fisher-niners-formula-is-working.html
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/fisher-niners-formula-is-working.html