2009 San Francisco 49ers "Season" thread!!

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Q: When will Crabtree sign with the 49ers?
A: Nobody knows if the contract impasse will end tomorrow, next month or never. If Crabtree decides he wants to report to the 49ers, he can sign the contract at any time. But all indications at this point are it could last a while. At this point, the sides aren't negotiating. They've agreed to disagree.

--Q: Why don't the 49ers just pay Crabtree like Heyward-Bey?
A: Because that's not how this works. As I noted in the story, with young executives Jed York, Scot McCloughan and Paraag Marathe, it could have disastrous ramifications for their careers. Also, the precedent would be set. Any first-round draft pick would just hold out until they cave in. The 49ers have two first-round picks next year. Everybody with whom I've spoken said they are convinced that the 49ers cannot - and will not - pay him more than anyone drafted with the first nine picks of the draft.

--Q: Do we know what the 49ers have offered?
A: Not exactly. But the sources with whom I've spoken believe the 49ers' offer is approximately an 18-percent raise from what the Patriots awarded linebacker Jerod Mayo, who was chosen in the same spot last year. That would mean Crabtree has balked at approximately $16.2 million in guaranteed money on a five-year deal or $19.5 million for six years.

--One agent who deals closely with the 49ers told me there is an $18 million difference between the sides on the total package of the contract.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/crabtree-discussion-continues.html

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
How about the same rate for less years or put a player option in that? :shrug:

That way he could re-sign with the 49ers or go elsewhere if he outplays his draft spot the next couple of years.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
end of the first half
thumbs up:
Glenn Coffee
VD
Morgan
Run Defense
Thumbs down:
Pass defense, yeah we got three interceptions but I don't like giving the receivers that much cushion
Pass rush

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
end of the first half
thumbs up:
Glenn Coffee
VD
Morgan
Run Defense
Thumbs down:
Pass defense, yeah we got three interceptions but I don't like giving the receivers that much cushion
Pass rush
Overall the 49ers looked very good, but it was the Broncos. Smith and Hill both did a great job, VD was very impressive, and Coffee was explosive. Don't read much into the game tho as the Broncos aren't much this year and it's just preseason afterall. Looks like an easy preseason schedule, but the game at San Diego should be a pretty good test to see how things are.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
4:27:27 pm49ers RB Frank Gore on the importance of blocking: "In this league, anybody can run the ball. To be a complete back, you have to catch and block. One of the toughest things is blocking. A lot of backs don't like doing it."
4:25:35 pm49ers RB Frank Gore was held out of the exhibition opener, but he said he thinks he'll play Saturday against the Raiders. "They saw how hard I was working, and they said I didn't need to go (against Denver)," Gore said. "They're going to want me to go in a game-time situation because we've got to get it down pat in a game."4:14:05 pm49ers RB Frank Gore on his exuberant reaction after burying Raiders LB Ricky Brown in a blitz pickup drill: "Very excited because our running backs coach (Tom Rathman) is really big on one-on-one blocking and blitz pickup. He wants us to be very aggressive."3:22:43 pm49ers coach Mike Singletary, an avid walker, passed on the bus ride back from Raiders headquarters to their hotel after morning practice. He covered the two miles on foot, joined by a couple of assistants. "Good little walk," he said.1:47:41 pm49ers LB Jeff Ulbrich isn't known for blitzing, but he just timed a blitz perfectly, coming untouched up the middle and forcing Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell to throw incomplete.1:24:12 pm49ers owner John York showed up to watch practice, just in time to see SS Reggie Smith intercept a pass from 49ers QB Jeff Garcia, a former 49er.1:08:49 pm49ers QBs Shaun Hill and Alex Smith are off to a rough start in a 7-on-7 drill. Smith's deep wobbler should have been picked off by Raiders CB Stanford Routt but was dropped. Raiders FS Hiram Eugene then intercepted Hill's underthrown pass intended for WR Josh Morgan.12:46:22 pm49ers running backs are pass blocking Raiders linebackers in one-on-one drills, and Frank Gore is fired up. He just buried Raiders LB Ricky Brown, then stood over him. Brown later had his way with RB Kory Sheets.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/SF
sounds good so far.......

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lets get Fhysical!
“Frank was outstanding. He was exceptional,” Singletary said. “If you got emotion, do it. What I was saying was I love the emotion, I love the enthusiasm. That’s the game. That’s passion. If I told him to stop doing that, he couldn’t. … That’s just who Frank is. He’s a competitor. Everything he does, he does it with his heart. That really is the thing that sets him apart.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-raiderspractice&prov=ap&type=lgns
Back, back, back!” Rathman hollered when Gore was slow to let the play end. On his next turn, Gore and Thomas Howard(notes) went after it.
“Break,” barked Rathman. “When I say break, break!”
Later, Gore tried to jump in against undrafted rookie David Nixon. Rathman wouldn’t let that happen, knowing full well Gore might hurt the guy.
“Give me another back in here!” the coach yelled, pushing Gore away.
"I told Frank that I'll put him on the bus if he does that again."
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/gore-sets-tone-for-day-with-raiders.html
After decking Brown, Gore did the same to linebacker Kirk Morrison, who is not exactly a scrub. His third opponent was going to be David Nixon, a slightly built rookie out of BYU. When running backs coach Tom Rathman saw that matchup, however, he pulled Gore out and put in someone who wasn't as lathered up. Nixon ought to send Rathman a thank-you note.
Gore's back-up, Glen Coffee, did well in the drill, though not as well as Gore.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblog...ust-another-pr.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A
Hill, who ran the first-team offense and mostly faced the Raiders' first-team defense, finished the morning session 12 of 14. One of those incompletions came when he spiked the ball during a two-minute drill. In that drill, Hill drove his team to the opposition 33 yard line, giving Joe Nedney a chance for a 51-yarder. It hit the left upright. Hill threw a deep ball to Vernon Davis that Davis caught over the shoulder (yes, you read that correctly) in front of safety Jerome Boyd. He also hooked up with Micheal Spurlock on a deep pass.
:band:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
JaMarcus throw behind Murphy for inc pass, at least it wasn't picked. Practice comes to merciful end. Wow.about 1 hour ago from mobile web
<LI class="hentry u-bydavidwhite status" id=status_3409128839 done14="11" done12="11" done10="11" done6="11">
The Niners are mocking them: "They can"t even get lined up," after JaMarcus rehuddles. "I love when they can't compete."about 1 hour ago from mobile web <LI class="hentry u-bydavidwhite status" id=status_3409106144 done14="13" done12="13" done10="13" done6="13">
Quite possibly the worst ... practice ... ever. Shoulders slumped like they're losing a blowout or something.about 1 hour ago from mobile web <LI class="hentry u-bydavidwhite status" id=status_3409093603 done14="15" done12="15" done10="15" done6="15">
Haven't been able to tweet this morning. All you need to know: 5 Raiders picks, 3 by JaMarcus.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
http://twitter.com/bydavidwhite

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be banned for Fhysical. Unless you mean we can now refer to him as Olivia Newton Frank.
You should also be banned for poor formatting on the JaMarcus post.

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tim Kawakami's take on practice:
On the 49ers’ offensive side, Vernon Davis was noticeable even from my far vantage point romping into the end zone several times with Raiders defenders trailing.
-Singletary on Shaun Hill’s performance (sounds like Hill is beginning to take control of this battle, at least for now): “Thought he did a good job, getting the ball out. I think Alex did some nice things as well. But Shaun did a good job.”
This was just a workout. But it has to be as good as the 49ers have looked–and felt–since somewhere in the early-2000s. It was that clear.
* Clements’ domination started in the early drills. He matched himself up aginast Raiders’ rookie Darrius Heyward-Bey and totally controlled him. Made him invisible.
* Don’t know why, but Al Davis kept his eyes focused only on the far side of the field, where the Raiders D was going against the 49ers O. Lucky for him, because the 49ers D was whooping and hollering only 50 feet away from Al’s cart.
Al never reacted or even turned his head.
* The 49ers passrush was no factor. Not good for the 49ers overall, but really not good for the Raiders. They were throwing a pick-fest, without the QB under fire.
* It’s not like the Raiders running game was tearing it up, either. One a fourth-and-1 in a team run drill, Michael Bush tried the left side and was blown up by Justin Smith and company.
* I don’t think the 49ers are a great team. But they’re sure a confident team coming off of this practice.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...e-raiders-russell-cable-clements-transcripts/

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
“I take the game seriously,” Coffee said. “But I keep it in perspective. I know I'm blessed to play the game, and I definitely don't believe in taking things half-heartedly. I think Frank and I have similar approaches, and I try to learn from him. He knows what it takes.”
The 49ers might have added their change-of-pace back after the draft when they signed rookie speedster Kory Sheets of Purdue as a free agent. But Coffee is the player who has clearly asserted himself as Gore's top backup with his decidedly un-rookie-like mind-set.
“He has really been exceptional for a rookie running back,” 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye said.
“I think he's way ahead of the curve in terms of his pass protection. It's unusual for a college back because they are not asked to protect much from the I-back position. He's a rugged player, he is mentally tough, he plays physical and rugged, and I think he has a bright future.”
Gore is a compact 5-foot-9, 217 pounds, while Coffee is a more angular 6-foot, 209. Both are powerful runners who generally make one cut and head up the field.
Coffee played the entire first half of the 49ers' exhibition opener last week against the Denver Broncos with Singletary's decision to rest Gore. Coffee responded with 67 yards on 14 rushing attempts. He should also get a lot of action Saturday when the 49ers face the Raiders.
“I think what he has is vision and he has the ability to get fast in the hole,” Raye said. “I don't know that in a footrace that he would run that fast, but he has instincts and (a) second-level spurt that is a little bit unusual, uncanny.”
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090820/sports/908209934

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
  1. Will the 49ers get a compensatory pick next year if Crabtree doesn't sign and if so, what round?
  2. Less years in contract would mean less $ the two sides are apart?
If Crabtree reenters next years draft...the 49ers get no compensatory whatsoever.

I think the 49ers want to keep Crabtree for as long as they can.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coffe looked good last game......he looks fantastic tonight!!!

16 carries 129 yards 8.1 yards per carry.......I was so happy that the 49ers got him in the third round.:fans::fans::fans:

IAWarnerFan

Reaction score
If Crabtree reenters next years draft...the 49ers get no compensatory whatsoever.

I think the 49ers want to keep Crabtree for as long as they can.
Bummer! That doesn't seem right. Just because a rookie's salary expectations are too high, the team gets punished for it. :sad:

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/08/niners-ride-a-c.html
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2009/08/niners-ride-a-c.html
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblog...iners-ride-a-c.html?mi_rss=49ers Blog and Q&A
“I've known Coffee for a while,” 49ers linebacker Takeo Spikes said. “I told him when he first got here that I didn't like him, and he said, ‘Why?' I said, ‘Because you used to run all over Auburn.' When he got here, I found out that he wasn't as big, but he runs hard and he has a big heart, and that's something you can't measure.”
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20090822/sports/908229949
:)
and here's Ray Ratto stuck on the Crabtree situation.:bigyawn:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/22/SPIB19CEKE.DTL
http://sfo.scout.com/2/891047.html
Thumbs up: Rookie running back Glen Coffee continues to impress with his breakaway ability after hitting the second level. Coffee turned the corner for big yardage several times during his first half of action and also broke a few runs up the middle. He turned the corner for gains of 16 and 18 yards, had a 15-yard burst up the middle, and his 35-yard explosion over left tackle gave Coffee 100 yards rushing before the second quarter was even halfway over. He finished with a game-high 129 yards rushing on 16 carries
Thumbs up: Let’s hear it for the continued emergence of tight end Vernon Davis as a go-to target. Facing third-and-long to begin their first offensive series, the Niners used Davis as a release valve inside instead of having him stay in to block, like deposed offensive coordinator Mike Martz often did last year. Davis released off the line and was found by quarterback

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bummer! That doesn't seem right. Just because a rookie's salary expectations are too high, the team gets punished for it. :sad:

Yeah......on the bright side......if Crabtree does sign after the season (which I think is possible)....the 49ers will have three first round picks for next season. (Crabtree, Carolina #1 pick, and their own pick).:koolaid:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05