USA Olympic Team Schedule & Results

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
don't mingle it.

Fernandez is one of the scoring options in that team,maybe 2nd after Gasol.We are not talking about a guy in Spanish bench that we never saw play.So,I was saying his teammates,even the ones who rely on Fernandez and know he's prior option than them,played in NBA and did fine.So,why shouldn't Fernandez?

I didn't say "he can play in NBA because he dunked".Hell,I have friends that dunk.But this guy is a sharp shooter,not afraid for challenge,he's brave,penetrated against whomever.I haven't seen anyone posterized Howard like this before.

I don't think you watched the game yesterday,I seriously doubt it.

don't mingle it? do you know what the world 'mingle' means? i doubt that.

he penetrated against anyone, did he? 15 of his 22 points came from the 3 point line. If his penetration was all that good, why did he only manage 4 points from the field that weren't 3's? howard didn't really have a good chance to block that dunk, so it looked a lot better than it really was.

i don't think you could pass a baby Einstein's English test. i seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

he penetrated against anyone, did he? 15 of his 22 points came from the 3 point line. If his penetration was all that good, why did he only manage 4 points from the field that weren't 3's? howard didn't really have a good chance to block that dunk, so it looked a lot better than it really was.

i don't think you could pass a baby Einstein's English test. i doubt it.

Did you watch the game? He was really good.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? He was really good.

of course i did. and i said already that he had a good game, there is no doubt about that. to be honest, i never said he wouldn't make it in the nba. i said he wouldn't be all that good, but not that he wouldn't make it. i just think we should all be a little cautious before we say "OMG it's the end of the world, we let Rudy Fernandez go to Portland. Why? Why? Why?". Obviously we lost out in that deal because it was for salary purposes, but we didn't lose a future all star or anything like that.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
i don't think you could pass a baby Einstein's English test. i seriously doubt it.

Here goes our Oscar Wilde/James Joyce mixture.

Now,you have another reason to hate foreigners.I mean,not only foreign basketball players but any foreign person.

Phoenix has fans from Brasil,Serbia,Spain,France,pretty much anywhere around the world,sometimes due to the foreign players in the rosters,or because of the exciting way Phoenix plays.

For the record,I might be keeping better job here than you or I've gotten better GMAT,TOEFL scores.

When you have nothing to say for the argument,you are trying to attack personally and make a fool of yourself.

You said there's nothing special about Fernandez or Rubio,and you don't think they're even capable enough to play in the NBA.What's your reasons except for gut feeling?Nothing.

Rubio played despite being injured in 1st quarter and had hell of a game.So did Fernandez.And they are playing against the best players in the league,better than any NBA team or all-star team.Plus they are young and they will develope and get better in the NBA.

And seems like you haven't convinced anyone yet with your dozen posts,yet.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
i just think we should all be a little cautious before we say "OMG it's the end of the world, we let Rudy Fernandez go to Portland. Why? Why? Why?". Obviously we lost out in that deal because it was for salary purposes, but we didn't lose a future all star or anything like that.

noone said OMG,we lost future all star.but we said he could have better impact than dragic or barnes,he could make us better team and it wasn't just him but selling talented draft picks for ridiculous amount of cash or bad deals was the point.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
arwillan: WTF is your motivation in this argument of yours? Just to see how far you can take your stupid rationalizations? When pro scouts and other basketball pros, including other players from all over the world consider you good to great, which both Fernandez and Rubio are considered as, then you're good. No amount of stat digging, and pontification will change that. Any failure after that, they're considered "busts." As of right now, they're good.

Please stop the idiocy. You're making bunny cry.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
RICKY RUBIO

Displaying amazing talent and maturity despite his young age, Rubio is commonly regarded as the best European guard prospect since Dražen Petrović. Due to his scoring dominance and creativity, Rubio has been compared to Pete Maravich.[4] Former NBA guard Pepe Sánchez, who at the time played at the point guard position for ACB rivals Unicaja Málaga, made this comment in a February 2007 interview for a Euroleague profile on Rubio:
I think he's a freak of nature — being so young and being so skilled and also so cool all the time. You can see that he knows what he's doing. He's not playing out there with pros based only on his talents. He knows the game and he can only improve. I think he'll be a great player. It all depends on him, but I personally think he's going to be great.

[5]
Despite his notability, he is being carefully shielded from excessive media attention. Joventut and the Rubio family have agreed that he will not be available for interviews until he turns 18.[5]
Rubio was featured in SLAM Magazine in April of 2007.[6] In the piece, the author noted that he considered him to be the best non-NBA player in the world and compared him to Magic Johnson.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
arwillan: WTF is your motivation in this argument of yours? Just to see how far you can take your stupid rationalizations? When pro scouts and other basketball pros, including other players from all over the world consider you good to great, which both Fernandez and Rubio are considered as, then you're good. No amount of stat digging, and pontification will change that. Any failure after that, they're considered "busts." As of right now, they're good.

Please stop the idiocy. You're making bunny cry.

countless players have been considered good-great by scouts from all over the world, and many of them haven't panned out to be much of anything. i've already mentioned a guy by the name of darko milicic. i could care less if people consider them good NOW if they don't make it in the N.B.A.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
noone said OMG,we lost future all star.but we said he could have better impact than dragic or barnes,he could make us better team and it wasn't just him but selling talented draft picks for ridiculous amount of cash or bad deals was the point.

we don't know that. we know barnes can play. we don't know if dragic can. Fernandez probably wouldn't have even seen many minutes here behind both barbosa and bell anyway.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
RUDY FERNANDEZ--DKV Joventut (ACB)

Rudy Fernandez is an athletic 6-6 shooting guard from Spain, who is arguably one of the best players outside of the NBA. His style of play is similar to Manu Ginobili, both players known for their non-stop energetic play. Rudy is currently the top player on DKV Joventut in the Spanish League.

Acquired: Drafted by the Suns with the 24th pick in the 2007 Draft and traded to Portland on draft night for cash considerations.

General: The ACB (Spanish League) is the best domestic league in Europe, and Rudy is no doubt one of the top stars currently playing outside of the NBA.

One of the few European vets that has a legit shot at becoming a quality starter in the NBA. The comparisons to Manu Ginobili are warranted, and Rudy is probably a better outside shooter than Manu was at the age of 22.

This season: Rudy is having a superb year so far, and is one of the top players in the ACB. He leads the ACB in scoring at 18.0 ppg and is 2nd in overall ranking (an overall statistical compilation similar to John Hollinger's PER rating) in the ACB only behind Marc Gasol, Pau's brother & LA Laker draftee.

DKV Joventut currently has a record of 11-5, and they are tied for 4th place. Joventut did not qualify for the Euroleague this year, but are currently ahead of TAU Ceramica & Unicaja Malaga (both Euroleague participants) in the ACB standings.

Fernandez is currently 5th overall in assists in the ACB. Rudy’s 4.5 apg is excellent even for a point guard in Europe, but for a wing player like Rudy, it’s outstanding. Assists are recorded differently in Europe, and 5-6 apg in Europe is similar to averaging 9-10 apg in the NBA.

Rudy’s shooting has been top-notch across the board. He is shooting 47 percent overall, and 40 percent from 3pt. land. Those high shooting numbers are even more impressive when you take into account Rudy makes the same amount of treys per game (2.7) as he does 2-pointers (2.7). Did I mention his near-perfect free throw shooting of 97 percent for the season?

NBA Comparison: Manu Ginobili

Strengths: Possesses legit three point range on his jumper, and excels at catch and shoot ... Moves extremely well without the ball as he is constantly moving, never settles ... Really understands how to get by opposing defenders by using his quick first step and ball handling ability ... Creative slasher when driving to the basket as he can finish with a multitude of reverse lay-ups, dunks or switching hands to get his shot off ... Athletically he owns above average leaping ability, solid quickness and excellent body control ... Needs very little time to get his shot off due to his quick release ... Passing ability is solid but not spectacular... Plays very composed rarely looks out of control or unfocused on the floor ... Shows a high basketball IQ ... Reportedly a very coachable player who owns a good work ethic ... Fernandez improved his perimeter defense this past season ... Solid free throw shooter ... Unselfish player who looks to get teammates involved ...

Weaknesses: Could really stand to bulk up and gain more upper body strength, how much he'll be able to is questionable ... This lack of upper body strength presents itself in games as he struggles to finish after contact occurs ... Defensively he lacks great lateral movement and intensity and while he has improved he remains a work in progress ... He tends to overcompensate by overplaying the passing lanes ... Ball protection must improve as he can get a little too careless with the ball ... Mid-range game is undeveloped as he focuses on slashing and shooting three point shots ... Despite his athletic ability Fernandez remains a below average rebounder ... Shot selection is average due to the fact that he can get caught up shooting threes instead of driving ... Has improved but is still not a great shooter off the dribble ... Defensively he doesn't always fight through picks ... Some have questioned his toughness ...

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Here goes our Oscar Wilde/James Joyce mixture.

Now,you have another reason to hate foreigners.I mean,not only foreign basketball players but any foreign person.

Phoenix has fans from Brasil,Serbia,Spain,France,pretty much anywhere around the world,sometimes due to the foreign players in the rosters,or because of the exciting way Phoenix plays.

For the record,I might be keeping better job here than you or I've gotten better GMAT,TOEFL scores.

When you have nothing to say for the argument,you are trying to attack personally and make a fool of yourself.

You said there's nothing special about Fernandez or Rubio,and you don't think they're even capable enough to play in the NBA.What's your reasons except for gut feeling?Nothing.

Rubio played despite being injured in 1st quarter and had hell of a game.So did Fernandez.And they are playing against the best players in the league,better than any NBA team or all-star team.Plus they are young and they will develope and get better in the NBA.

And seems like you haven't convinced anyone yet with your dozen posts,yet.

I never said I hated foreigners, whether they are basketball players or not. How do you know I'm an American, even? I never said I was. I never said I didn't think Rubio and Fernandez could make it in the N.B.A, I said I was unimpressed and didn't think they'd be anything special. I backed up my argument with their play in the Olympics and even with their Club teams (in the case of Fernandez). I never said anything about a gut feeling. Rubio scored, what, 6 points? That's a hell of a game? Carmelo Anthony hurt his hand in the game, he managed to play just fine. I could care less how many places Phoenix has fans from, that has nothing to do with the argument. T.O.E.F.L scores? English is my first language, so that test doesn't apply to me. If it did, there is no doubt in my mind i could pass it with flying colors. I'd venture to say many people wouldn't do too well because of confusion over simple English concepts such as the differences between your/you're and their/they're/there. What makes you think you hold a better job than me? Do you know the first thing about me? Nope, you sure don't. Do I know anything at all about you? Not really. That might have something to do with why I never attacked your personal life at all, because it has nothing at all to do with basketball. For your personal reference, I took the liberty of putting all of the reasons whoever administers the T.O.E.F.L shouldn't have let you pass in bold. Enjoy.

passenger

Let's get Nashty
Reaction score
I never said I hated foreigners, whether they are basketball players or not. How do you know I'm an American, even? I never said I was. I never said I didn't think Rubio and Fernandez could make it in the N.B.A, I said I was unimpressed and didn't think they'd be anything special. I backed up my argument with their play in the Olympics and even with their Club teams (in the case of Fernandez). I never said anything about a gut feeling. Rubio scored, what, 6 points? That's a hell of a game? Carmelo Anthony hurt his hand in the game, he managed to play just fine. I could care less how many places Phoenix has fans from, that has nothing to do with the argument. T.O.E.F.L scores? English is my first language, so that test doesn't apply to me. If it did, there is no doubt in my mind i could pass it with flying colors. I'd venture to say many people wouldn't do too well because of confusion over simple English concepts such as the differences between your/you're and their/they're/there. What makes you think you hold a better job than me? Do you know the first thing about me? Nope, you sure don't. Do I know anything at all about you? Not really. That might have something to do with why I never attacked your personal life at all, because it has nothing at all to do with basketball. For your personal reference, I took the liberty of putting all of the reasons whoever administers the T.O.E.F.L shouldn't have let you pass in bold. Enjoy.

And why do you think scouts,pro's,basketball analysts are praising him and comparing him to Petrovic,Maravich,even to Magic Johnson below?This guy's gotta be very good,right?

RICKY RUBIO

Displaying amazing talent and maturity despite his young age, Rubio is commonly regarded as the best European guard prospect since Dražen Petrović. Due to his scoring dominance and creativity, Rubio has been compared to Pete Maravich.[4] Former NBA guard Pepe Sánchez, who at the time played at the point guard position for ACB rivals Unicaja Málaga, made this comment in a February 2007 interview for a Euroleague profile on Rubio:
I think he's a freak of nature — being so young and being so skilled and also so cool all the time. You can see that he knows what he's doing. He's not playing out there with pros based only on his talents. He knows the game and he can only improve. I think he'll be a great player. It all depends on him, but I personally think he's going to be great.

[5]
Despite his notability, he is being carefully shielded from excessive media attention. Joventut and the Rubio family have agreed that he will not be available for interviews until he turns 18.[5]
Rubio was featured in SLAM Magazine in April of 2007.[6] In the piece, the author noted that he considered him to be the best non-NBA player in the world and compared him to Magic Johnson.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
And why do you think scouts,pro's,basketball analysts are praising him and comparing him to Petrovic,Maravich,even to Magic Johnson below?This guy's gotta be very good,right?

RICKY RUBIO

[5]

people compared kwame brown to all time greats. they compared darko to all time greats. People thought olowokandi was the next coming of olajuwon. None of that means anything until it shows up on the court.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
being able to dunk doesn't, in any way, make you an nba-quality player. His passing isn't even good. He didn't have more than 2 assists in their last 4 or 5 games (including the gold medal game). His rebounding is nothing short of mediocre too. He averaged about 3 rebounds per game in the olympics. Steve nash averages that much, is he a good rebounder?

Nash plays 12 minutes more than Rudy did in the Olympics so I'm not sure that's a good comparison. 3.5 boards in 22 minutes a game is pretty decent from a two-guard, which is what Fernandez was getting. if you extrapolate that out over the course of 34 minutes, it's probably 5 per, which is what you hope to get from your NBA two-guard.

His 3 point shooting was good in the tournament, but he's shooting from the shorter 3 point line which can be very misleading when stats come up.

So at worst, he's has shown to be a very potent mid range shooter out to 20 feet. Doesn't really seem like a knock.

His steals never got over 2 in a game over the past 4 or 5 games. Most Nba guards get about that many, but they do it against the best teams in the world not against teams like Angola.

"most nba guards get over 2 a game?" There were 4 players in the entire league who averaged 2 or more steals a game and only 9 who averaged more than 1.5. That means most nba guards don't even come close to 2 a game, in much more minutes considering he averaged 1 per game and that was on 22 minutes per.

On top of all that, he's already 23 years old.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Nash plays 12 minutes more than Rudy did in the Olympics so I'm not sure that's a good comparison. 3.5 boards in 22 minutes a game is pretty decent from a two-guard, which is what Fernandez was getting. if you extrapolate that out over the course of 34 minutes, it's probably 5 per, which is what you hope to get from your NBA two-guard.

So at worst, he's has shown to be a very potent mid range shooter out to 20 feet. Doesn't really seem like a knock.

"most nba guards get over 2 a game?" There were 4 players in the entire league who averaged 2 or more steals a game and only 9 who averaged more than 1.5. That means most nba guards don't even come close to 2 a game, in much more minutes considering he averaged 1 per game and that was on 22 minutes per.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

let's practice our reading skills here. i never said most guards get over two a game. i said they get around 2 a game, which is pretty much accurate. i never said there was anything wrong with his shooting. i never even said he wouldn't be a good shooter in the nba. i just said it can be misleading when players shoot well from the FIBA three point line or even the college three point line. i pointed out his age because as an nba prospect, he is certainly older than the rest of this year's incoming players.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
so they have to have someone bring the ball up court for him because they're too nervous he'll turn it over. Is there not going to be pressure on him in the NBA? to say that he is so good because he didn't embarrass himself is absolute ridicule. That's one of the stupidest reasons i've ever heard of for drafting a player. That is not a skill in any way. They don't run a lot through him because he just isn't that good at creating. DX says he can't shoot, either. i find myself incredibly underwhelmed.

How does one get so ignorant? Let me restate this, Ricky Rubio is SEVENTEEN. By any Western definition he is a CHILD. Playing against the best team in the world and perhaps the 2nd best team ever assembled, and he's playing with them well. He always stayed in front of his man, he showed great bursts of speed and he made some very nice passes. He got into the lane a few times as well. Part of the draft is looking at potential, which I'd hope you'd know. Spain was trying to win the game, and in that situation you make sure veterans who you can trust have the ball, not a kid who's going to be great someday.

So lets recap, in ONE game that you saw of Rubios you're unimpressed because he didn't completely dominate, is that correct? Nevermind that he showed he was a more than capable defender, had good speed, could get into the lane, didn't turn the ball over and made some nice passes (all of these are skills, which you've asked me to mention since you apparently were unable to notice them yourself).

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I think only this board could turn a thread about the USA Gold Medal winning team into an argument about a the merits of a player that could've potentially been drafted by the Suns. Same as it ever was.

Good game though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let's practice our reading skills here. i never said most guards get over two a game.

"His steals never got over 2 in a game over the past 4 or 5 games. Most Nba guards get about that many". when you say "about that many", am I supposed to make up a number you haven't said or am I supposed to think "about that many" is in reference to "over 2 a game" that you used as some kind of standard? I'm not sure how to read this any other way than he never gets over 2 a game and most NBA guards get around that many, even though most NBA guards really get around 1.4 or lower.

i said they get around 2 a game, which is pretty much accurate.

How is this pretty accurate when only 9 (8 guards) in the entire league even averages more than 1.5 more steals and the overwhelming percentage (or pretty much every other guard) in the league averages less. You questioned my reading skills up above, but I question your math skills here. Who rounds up a full number from less than half?

Last edited:

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
How does one get so ignorant? Let me restate this, Ricky Rubio is SEVENTEEN. By any Western definition he is a CHILD. Playing against the best team in the world and perhaps the 2nd best team ever assembled, and he's playing with them well. He always stayed in front of his man, he showed great bursts of speed and he made some very nice passes. He got into the lane a few times as well. Part of the draft is looking at potential, which I'd hope you'd know. Spain was trying to win the game, and in that situation you make sure veterans who you can trust have the ball, not a kid who's going to be great someday.

So lets recap, in ONE game that you saw of Rubios you're unimpressed because he didn't completely dominate, is that correct? Nevermind that he showed he was a more than capable defender, had good speed, could get into the lane, didn't turn the ball over and made some nice passes (all of these are skills, which you've asked me to mention since you apparently were unable to notice them yourself).

i watched 3 or 4 of spain's game actually. and i was unimpressed because he didn't make a memorable impression on me. maybe i expected too much out of him, but i found myself wondering where the greatness was.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
"His steals never got over 2 in a game over the past 4 or 5 games. Most Nba guards get about that many". when you say "about that many", am I supposed to make up a number you haven't said or am I supposed to think "about that many" is in reference to "over 2 a game" that you used as some kind of standard? I'm not sure how to read this any other way than he never gets over 2 a game and most NBA guards get around that many, even though most NBA guards really get around 1.4 or lower.

How is this pretty accurate when only 9 (8 guards) in the entire league even averages more than 1.5 more steals and the overwhelming percentage (or pretty much every other guard) in the league averages less. You questioned my reading skills up above, but I question your math skills here. Who rounds up a full number from less than half?

about that many means about 2, which was the most he had gotten in a game. it couldn't possibly mean over two a game. i said "that many". For 'that' to have referred to more than 2, more than 2 steals would have had to occurred. You can't use a pronoun to refer to something that doesn't exist when the pronoun is used in the same sentence as what it is referring to. Most Nba guards get between 1 and 2 (according to you it's 1.4) per game. The player we're talking about here never got more than 2, so we can assume he probably also averaged between one and two. So let's say his stats in that category are up to par with nba players (strictly statistically speaking). Every team he played outside of team USA was inferior to any decent NBA team. Therefore, those 1.5 or so steals per game probably wouldn't translate to as many in the NBA.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
countless players have been considered good-great by scouts from all over the world, and many of them haven't panned out to be much of anything. i've already mentioned a guy by the name of darko milicic. i could care less if people consider them good NOW if they don't make it in the N.B.A.

I can only assume you read what I posted. Based on your response, I can only deduct that you understood NOT ONE WORD of it.

First off, to even become a BUST, which Darko is, you had to have been considered GOOD to potentially GREAT in the first place. Now; Read my last post again. Get it?

Also: Are you some kind of ****ing Swami or something? Who the **** are you to predict who's going to make it or not, when pros that are WELL above your head are saying otherwise? I am sure if you tried hard enough, you can find some stats that would make a 17 or 23-yr-old (the respective ages of the players you're being obtuse about) Manu Ginobili look bad. I think we can say that that young man made it in the NBA, no?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about that many means about 2, which was the most he had gotten in a game. it couldn't possibly mean over two a game. i said "that many". For 'that' to have referred to more than 2, more than 2 steals would have had to occurred. You can't use a pronoun to refer to something that doesn't exist when the pronoun is used in the same sentence as what it is referring to. Most Nba guards get between 1 and 2 (according to you it's 1.4) per game.

uh, according to me?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/bycategory?cat=Fielding&sort=37

The player we're talking about here never got more than 2, so we can assume he probably also averaged between one and two. So let's say his stats in that category are up to par with nba players (strictly statistically speaking). Every team he played outside of team USA was inferior to any decent NBA team. Therefore, those 1.5 or so steals per game probably wouldn't translate to as many in the NBA.

I think don't put a lot of credibility into someone extrapolation of future stats based on numbers from games in which Rudy only played 22 minutes.

the kid had a lot of hype coming into the tourney and I think he showed a lot of reasons why he got it throughout the tourney.

Last edited: