2011 Off-Season Wishlist

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What do you guys wanna see happen for the Suns in the upcoming off season? (free agents/draft/trades etc.)

For me, right now I'm hoping to see somethin like this....

Here is my opinion... on what the suns need to do

1) Do a 3 way trade with DEN & NY with Nash & Warrick goin to NY, Billups, Lopez, Pietrus to DEN. PHX then gets Felton, Gallinari and a NY future first rd pick.

2) Trade Grant to ORL or BOS for a 1st rd pick

3) Sign Nick Young AND Kris Humphries in the off season

4) Trade our 2011 draft picks to some lottery team for their 2012 1st rd pick. Maybe some team that needs multiple picks like the Cavs or somethin. This draft is gonna be pretty weak with most stayin in school for lockout purposes and its better for us to just get a better pick next year.

That leaves the Suns with

PG- Felton, Brooks
SG- Young, Dudley
SF- Galinarri, Childress
PF- Frye, Humphries
c- Gortat, Rookie

That is a young lineup that could be a lottery team for the first few years but once the young guys hit their full potential, we'd be a scary team like OKC.

I think to compete for a title we have to rebuild or else we will just stay a mediocre team for a while.

Now post what you wanna see in the off season

Last edited:

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
Keep; Gortat, Frye, Dudley, Brooks, Childress, Dowdell, and Hill (Only if he wants to stay)

Sign and trade Nash for sure.

KEEP THE MUTHA EFFIN DRAFT PICK AND THE PLAYER YOU DRAFT

Sell team to a better owner.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1) Sarver sells the team.
2) Nash and Hill gone.
3) A new basketball philosophy that says:
a) we aren't going to build around an elite PG
b) we're going to play defense 1st and foremost everynight
c) we're going to adopt a style of play that the league rewards come
playoff time

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
1) Sarver sells the team.
2) Nash and Hill gone.
3) A new basketball philosophy that says:
a) we aren't going to build around an elite PG
b) we're going to play defense 1st and foremost everynight
c) we're going to adopt a style of play that the league rewards come
playoff time
That's pretty much what I've hoping for over forty years.

Except item 1) was: Jerry moves up to President and runs the business and public relations (as well as his political role on the Phoenix 40), and brings in a talented General Manager to handle the basketball side of the operations.

New century . . . same bucket list (especially 3b and 3c).

I'm still hoping!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I've hoping for over forty years.

Except item 1) was: Jerry moves up to President and runs the business and public relations (as well as his political role on the Phoenix 40), and brings in a talented General Manager to handle the basketball side of the operations.

New century . . . same bucket list (especially 3b and 3c).

I'm still hoping!

In regard to item 2, so you have been wanting Nash and Hill gone for forty years. Nash and Hill have been one of the better things to happen to Phoenix.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Put some mega bucks in the pockets of the referees. Then maybe I'll be interested.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In regard to item 2, so you have been wanting Nash and Hill gone for forty years. Nash and Hill have been one of the better things to happen to Phoenix.
No, of course not. Item 3a) said:

mojorisen7 said:
we aren't going to build around an elite PG
During the whole Kevin Johnson era, we watched him hog the ball while his teammates stood around, so he could get his 20/10 every season.

The Chuckster tried to get him to loosen the reigns when he joined KJ here. He even referred to him as "Franchise, Jr.", but Johnson didn't like it one bit.

When I posted some time ago that if a team needs its Point Guard to be its leading scorer, it is not going to become a contender.

I would rather see a pass-first PG leading our team next year. But even if Aaron Brooks is our lead PG, I would hope that one of our Wings or our SF or our Center is our leading scorer.

Pure shooter, 3-point shooter, free-throw shooter, clutch shooter -- great.

But leading scorer all season long (as Nash is), not good. I agree with mojorisen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong building around an elite PG as long as one tries to get an elite big man to go with him. It's sort of like which came first, the chicken or the egg. One has to grab them as they become available. A good PG need not exclude a good big man.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tank the rest of the season, let God FINALLY smile on us, win the lotto, draft Derrick Williams and set up your front court of Williams-Frye-Gortat for the future. that could be a dominant front line in three years time.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You're right, Chicago is stupid for building around Derrick Rose. Jeez, what are they thinking?
Time will tell.

Hmmm, isn't there a Point Guard from Vancouver? I just can't place his name. :)

I have visited a lot of the country, and beyond. But I have never visited the Pacific Northwest.

I would love to fly to San Francisco -- I have driven the PCH between San Fran/LA/San Diego -- then either drive or take the train to visit Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria.

All I need is time . . . and money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have visited a lot of the country, and beyond. But I have never visited the Pacific Northwest.

I would love to fly to San Francisco -- I have driven the PCH between San Fran/LA/San Diego -- then either drive or take the train to visit Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria.

All I need is time . . . and money.

I understand traveling the PCH to Seattle is beautiful. I hope you can figure out a way to do it. Before a family member passed away, we were going to rent an RV and do the trip. I love the state of Washington.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
tank the rest of the season, let God FINALLY smile on us, win the lotto, draft Derrick Williams and set up your front court of Williams-Frye-Gortat for the future. that could be a dominant front line in three years time.
Lol we ain't winning the lotto and if we did we pick Kyle Irving not Williams even though Williams is a beast.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You're right, Chicago is stupid for building around Derrick Rose. Jeez, what are they thinking?
Rose is solid no doubt,plays on both ends too....but one could make the argument that the Bulls have been building around Noah(9th overall pick just 4 yrs ago) and that the pieces are coming together nicely for them.

Nash
Stockton
KJ
Payton
Tim Hardaway
Kidd
CP3
Mark Price
Derron Williams
Anfernee Hardaway
^^^^ all outstanding PG's with zero rings. Name me a team over the last 30 yrs who had an elite/outstanding/dynamic PG who's team won a title.
I can think of two. Isiah Thomas and of course Magic Johnson.

Suns just need to take a different approach for once. There's no need to try and go out and make a big free agency/draft splash to get that next "great PG" in a long list of great Suns PG's. Just get a kid who can defend at the point of attack,has a servicable jumpshot,and someone who can feed the scorers without dominating the ball himself.

Jonah

Reaction score
Just get a kid who can defend at the point of attack,has a servicable jumpshot,and someone who can feed the scorers without dominating the ball himself.

S.Curry is unhappy in GSW, but I doubt they'll let him go.
Felton would be a nice add [Lawson would be even better].
G.Hill from SAS is v. good, but he's probably a part of Spurs future.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rose is solid no doubt,plays on both ends too....but one could make the argument that the Bulls have been building around Noah(9th overall pick just 4 yrs ago) and that the pieces are coming together nicely for them.

I don't disagree necessarily with the idea that building around a PG is a relatively flawed way to go about winning a ring but NO ONE can make an argument that the Bulls are building around Noah... or that Rose is anything but SPECTACULAR... not "solid".

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lol we ain't winning the lotto and if we did we pick Kyle Irving not Williams even though Williams is a beast.

No we don't. All-Star PGs are easier to get in free agency and trades than All-Star big men. Hasn't being a Suns fan taught you that?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we don't. All-Star PGs are easier to get in free agency and trades than All-Star big men. Hasn't being a Suns fan taught you that?

unfortunately, we know that, but i bet the team goes Irving... and to be honest... they can't lose with either guy.

i also don't believe Williams is an All-Star "big man" at the next level. He'll have to play the three... which i think he'll be able to and dominate, but he won't be a PF in the pros IMO.

HooverDam

Reaction score
1. Robert Sarver becomes a Zen Buddhist, sells the team and moves to Tibet.

2. Its all good from there.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is insane. Nash is one of the greatest passing point guards to every play the game, one of the greatest pure shooters you'll ever see, is a great team leader, and always plays with heart and guts. Even if the rest of the team sucked, I would watch to see him play.

But the team next year actually has a chance to be pretty good. Gortat is still getting better, and if you give him and Nash a full season to hone their PnR game, I think they could be almost as good as Nash and Amare were on that play (Amare had a mid-range jumper that Gortat doesn't have yet, but then Gortat's defense is better).

Frye has improved a lot this year, and I think has a chance to grow into a star. Brooks has shown flashes at times and will hopefully play well once he has a preseason to work with the second unit.

And Carter will be gone, freeing up salary for another big player. Bring in a good PF, some good role players who can shoot the 3 and defend, and this team could be a contender next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, we know that, but i bet the team goes Irving... and to be honest... they can't lose with either guy.

i also don't believe Williams is an All-Star "big man" at the next level. He'll have to play the three... which i think he'll be able to and dominate, but he won't be a PF in the pros IMO.

I'm torn on this point. I keep thinking he'll have to make the move to SF but keep in mind we're watching him play the role of a big man without another big man next to him. I wonder how he'd do if he were playing alongside a legit center (instead of having to play that spot often).

I keep hearing David West comparisons and I just don't see it. They are both undersized but other than that they really don't have that many similarities. West has a strong mid-range shot but Derrick has better range and the ability to put the ball on the floor. Derrick also tends to shine in the biggest moments. On top of that, Derrick is one of the best in the game (college or pro) in drawing shooting fouls and that should continue at either position.

I'd love to get Williams but if we get THAT lucky in the lottery, I'd still prefer Sullinger if he comes out. His added size and his space clearing butt will make him one of the better PF's almost from the day he walks onto the court.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is insane. Nash is one of the greatest passing point guards to every play the game, one of the greatest pure shooters you'll ever see, is a great team leader, and always plays with heart and guts. Even if the rest of the team sucked, I would watch to see him play.

But the team next year actually has a chance to be pretty good. Gortat is still getting better, and if you give him and Nash a full season to hone their PnR game, I think they could be almost as good as Nash and Amare were on that play (Amare had a mid-range jumper that Gortat doesn't have yet, but then Gortat's defense is better).

Frye has improved a lot this year, and I think has a chance to grow into a star. Brooks has shown flashes at times and will hopefully play well once he has a preseason to work with the second unit.

And Carter will be gone, freeing up salary for another big player. Bring in a good PF, some good role players who can shoot the 3 and defend, and this team could be a contender next year.

We're Suns fans, the insanity comes naturally. I don't see any way in the world that this team becomes a contender next season. Of course, IMO, we haven't been a contender for several years despite our WCF appearance last season.

I think Nash has enough left to help a very good team get over the top but I don't think he has enough left to be THE guy. Move him if he has value, otherwise concede to his wishes (stay or go) but regardless, it would be foolish to build this team around him any longer.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Nash will not be with the team next year. The hand writing is on the wall. This is his final run with the Suns and its why they are working so hard to make the post season. I am ok with that if it is what Nash wants, and it seems like it is.