2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
16/5 on good shooting numbers through his first games is still easily top 5 worthy and he will get better.

Beal averaged 15/6 on worse shooting for the entire year and was top 3.

Anyhow there are several nice prospects I would like to see us draft Bazz, Goodwin, Noel..

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Maybe one of you guys who follow things more closly than I do can tell me why Caldwell-Pope isn't showing up on any mocks? For some reason, I remember him being one hell of a scorer last year. Am I confusing him with someone? I could have sworn he was a lock to be a lottery pick.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16/5 on good shooting numbers through his first games is still easily top 5 worthy and he will get better.

Anyhow there are several nice prospects I would like to see us draft Bazz, Goodwin, Noel..

Beal was on a better team. Bazz right now is a complete blackhole he's getting points because he's not doing anything but looking for shots.

Howland actually pulled him twice last night in an exhibition because of bad shot selection, first time this year he's pulled him for it. I think Ben has figured out it's not just rust, he's actually a big ballhog and I better try and break him of that now. With Travis Blackhole Wear already playing heavy minutes and Adams with a very quick trigger you can't have a guy like Bazz refusing to pass either.

He's talented, I think it's probably a weak draft anyways, but even on UCLA boards we're being told NBA scouts are not impressed and that many never had him rated top 3 in the first place.

He's NOT a guard, at least not yet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Offering that as evidence is incredibly weak. Once again I'll say what everyone says to you, watch the freaking games. If Shabazz had no reputation, if he'd just been a last minute recruit for Howland forced into action as a Freshman, he wouldn't be on anyone's draft lists. At best, people would say this kid shows signs of having some untapped potential and might have a chance of playing at the next level in 3 or 4 years.

He's better than he's shown and he will be a fairly high draft pick when he comes out but he's not the next big anything unless he changes his game dramatically.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of you guys who follow things more closly than I do can tell me why Caldwell-Pope isn't showing up on any mocks? For some reason, I remember him being one hell of a scorer last year. Am I confusing him with someone? I could have sworn he was a lock to be a lottery pick.

From Georgia? Major gunner, his coach has benched him a few times this year for shooting too much.

Talented kid though

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offering that as evidence is incredibly weak. Once again I'll say what everyone says to you, watch the freaking games. If Shabazz had no reputation, if he'd just been a last minute recruit for Howland forced into action as a Freshman, he wouldn't be on anyone's draft lists. At best, people would say this kid shows signs of having some untapped potential and might have a chance of playing at the next level in 3 or 4 years.

He's better than he's shown and he will be a fairly high draft pick when he comes out but he's not the next big anything unless he changes his game dramatically.

Steve

Yeah Gottlieb was hammering on UCLA the other day, rightly so in this case, and he said Bazz is now essentially playing the 4 on offense "and he's a 4 he's not a guard people don't seem to get that." He was supposed to be a 3 transitioning to the 2 in college, he's a 4 transitioning to the 3 and the way UCLA's roster is, he's playnig the 4 on offense right now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ben McLemore is going to make a great 2 in the NBA.

Yeah I actually like him and Archie Goodwin over Bazz right now. He's still a work in progress but he has a very well rounded game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another kid I think is really going to blow up if he's not already is Marcus Smart.

Averaging 14, 7 and 6apg as a freshman, can play PG, defends his butt off. FG% is low right now he has to stop shooting too many 3's but he's REALLY good.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
some mocks already have Smart, McLemore in the top 7

nbadraft.net got mcLemore #3, Bazz #4, Smart #5

Though dx is obviously the most credible draft site and still has Bazz #1, McLemore #17 and Smart #23.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From a CBS article via RealGM:

Top talent evaluators from around the NBA expressed pessimism about the 2013 draft in general and the No. 1 pick in particular.

"I'd trade the pick for sure," one NBA GM said. "No one wants to pick first this year -- and no one can live up to the No. 1 billing."

"It's the worst it's ever been," said another.

"I'm glad we won't be picking at the top," added one director of player personnel.

Cody Zeller is the consensus choice for the top spot, even though he possesses short arms and plays subpar defense.

"He'll never be a great NBA player," one NBA scouting director said.
basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/224849/NBA_Talent_Evaluators_Express_Pessimism_About_2013_Draft

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This draft is full of potential which doesn't bode well for PHX. Right now they could use talent at all positions, especially if they decide to deal Gortat. Alex Len or James McAdoo are the most logical choices with their first pick which looks like it is going to be in the lottery. The late rounder they will most likely receive from the LA deal could be used on an athletic wing like LeBryan Nash.

With the 2 second round picks PG & SG prospects such as Ray McCallum or Abdul Gaddy with one and either CJ Wilcox or Michael Snaer would add talent to the 2 guard spot

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The same thing was said about the last drafts and nobody wanted to trade the #1 pick on draft day.

That kind of story is getting boring. Of course the draft looks weak right now if you slot Cody Zeller in the #1 spot which he never should be.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have the details about the pick this year from the Lakers been clarified? There was talk that the Suns could get the Lakers pick if they were in the lotto, but now I don't hear much about it. Was it misinformation?

Edit: Ok. This is what I got from a Laker board. Please let me know if this is true or not.

2013 first round draft pick to Phoenix
The L.A. Lakers will send the least favorable of their own 1st round pick (top-14 protected), Cleveland's own 2013 1st round pick, Sacramento's own 1st round pick (top-13 protected) and Miami's 2013 1st round pick to Phoenix. If the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick is within the top-14 selections, Phoenix will automatically receive the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick. [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012] 2013 first round draft pick to Cleveland
Cleveland has the right to swap the least favorable of their own 2013 1st round pick, Miami's own 2013 1st round pick (top-10 protected) and Sacramento's own 2013 1st round pick (top-13 protected) with the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick (top-14 protected). If the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick is #1-#14, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished. [Cleveland-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012]

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The rules and conditions for the pick we'll receive from the Minnesota/ New Orleans trade are even more complicated.

I really hope that by some miracle the Suns can convert those two picks into another lottery pick. With Gortat stinking it up, they really need a big man as well as a scoring SG. Our own pick should be good, but I don't see the Lakers being in the lottery, and we will likely get Memphis' pick owed to Minnesota, which probably means the two picks will be at the very end of the first round.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Have the details about the pick this year from the Lakers been clarified? There was talk that the Suns could get the Lakers pick if they were in the lotto, but now I don't hear much about it. Was it misinformation?

Edit: Ok. This is what I got from a Laker board. Please let me know if this is true or not.

The L.A. Lakers will send the least favorable of their own 1st round pick (top-14 protected), Cleveland's own 2013 1st round pick, Sacramento's own 1st round pick (top-13 protected) and Miami's 2013 1st round pick to Phoenix. If the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick is within the top-14 selections, Phoenix will automatically receive the L.A. Lakers' 1st round pick. [L.A. Lakers-Phoenix, 7/11/2012] 2013 first round draft pick to Cleveland
Cleveland has the right to swap the least favorable of their own 2013 1st round pick, Miami's own 2013 1st round pick (top-10 protected) and Sacramento's own 2013 1st round pick (top-13 protected) with the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick (top-14 protected). If the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick is #1-#14, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished. [Cleveland-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012]

as far as i can tell this is correct. it was copied from Realgm

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

so i take it for truth.

the pick from the New Orleans trade is pretty simple. we get the worst of Minny/Memphis first rounders. both are lotto protected so it complexity is pretty much negated because as it looks right now, Memphis is clearly making the playoffs.

so as it stands right now we'd be drafting #5, #11, #28.

this will probably change, and IF the lakers make the playoffs we'll probably end up with Miami's first...so it'll be something like #5, #28, #30

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lakers have been pretty consistently mediocre this year so them making the playoffs might actually be a close call until the last month of the season.

Memphis is probably going to cool down, unlikely they remain in the top 3. They will probably be overtaken by Miami, New York and possibly the Clippers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much hinges on how the Lakers do. Right now, it seems to be the only reason why I watch the the NBA. I keep looking to see if the Lakers lost another game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
some mocks already have Smart, McLemore in the top 7

nbadraft.net got mcLemore #3, Bazz #4, Smart #5

Though dx is obviously the most credible draft site and still has Bazz #1, McLemore #17 and Smart #23.

If Bazz is the #1 pick he either did a remarkable turnaround and got in great shape, or it's a VERY weak draft.

I fully expect him to leave UCLA after the year, hire a trainer and get in great shape. But I don't know much that helps when they measure him before the draft and he's barely 6'5" if that. He's going to be a 4 in a 2's body and he has to hope he's even that because he's getting quite "thick" in the upper body.

Maybe I'm just expecting too much but his game against Texas really annoyed me, least impressive 16 point game I've seen in ages, chucking up shots, screaming for fouls that didn't happen, jogging back on defense etc. He's losing some of the weight but we're still not seeing any explosiveness. he got one pass at the rim went up to dunk and got the ball stuck between the rim and the glass. they called a foul on the play but on replay there appeared to be no contact at all, it was really surprising how little lift he had.

I'm hoping for his case he's working extra hard to lose the weight and as a result has tired legs otherwise he's really not that athletic.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
So much hinges on how the Lakers do. Right now, it seems to be the only reason why I watch the the NBA. I keep looking to see if the Lakers lost another game.

Right there with you.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

I think we are going to end up the Heat's pick unless the Lakers don't make the playoffs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hopefully the Suns can get Shabazz and maybe C.J. McCollum late in the first or in the second.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shabazz made a mistake deciding to go to UCLA. That team is horrible, the offense they run is clueless.
Shabazz will get better as he gets in shape from the shoulder injury, bit too early to judge him on such a bad team, he is still finding ways to put up decent numbers for a freshman.

That said I like Goodwin maybe better right now and I think that Smart and McLemore are also fantastic guard prospects.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shabazz made a mistake deciding to go to UCLA. That team is horrible, the offense they run is clueless.
Shabazz will get better as he gets in shape from the shoulder injury, bit too early to judge him on such a bad team, he is still finding ways to put up decent numbers for a freshman.

That said I like Goodwin maybe better right now and I think that Smart and McLemore are also fantastic guard prospects.

He made a mistake going to UCLA the year Ben Howland is going to get fired. but he would have had the same issues no matter where he went because he was going to be suspended anywhere.

People that saw the open UCLA practice in October reported Bazz was "killing it" but had a bit of an issue still with the shoulder. When he finally got eligible, he was 235 pounds by his own admission, 15-20 pounds over his HS weight. The people that saw him in October said he was 10-15 pounds lighter. So in one month he put on that weight. A cynic would suggest he didn't know if the NCAA was going to clear him or not and got nervous and ate his nerves.

the UCLA offense is much different this year, that's part of the problem they're trying to run but don't get enough stops on D to do so.

Bazz is playing the 4 now at UCLA, they don't list him at 4 but watch the games. Travis Wear guards the 5, Kyle plays the 3 on offense and guards the 3 or 4 on defense. Bazz plays the 4 on offense and guards the 4 or 3 on defense. he's not a guard.

FWIW he says h's down to 222 now, said 220 the day before but somewhere in that area. So down 13-15 pounds. Said he's been very explosive in practice this week so I'm hoping we'll finally see some better play from him.

So far he's been very disappointing, not a coincidence all 3 UCLA losses came after Bazz got cleared, its' been an adjustment getting him into the rotation and his shot selection and defense have been bad. His 16PPG has been very unimpressive so far so hopefully his new conditioning will make an impact. UCLA can sure use it if he's ready to step up and be a player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He made a mistake going to UCLA the year Ben Howland is going to get fired. but he would have had the same issues no matter where he went because he was going to be suspended anywhere.

People that saw the open UCLA practice in October reported Bazz was "killing it" but had a bit of an issue still with the shoulder. When he finally got eligible, he was 235 pounds by his own admission, 15-20 pounds over his HS weight. The people that saw him in October said he was 10-15 pounds lighter. So in one month he put on that weight. A cynic would suggest he didn't know if the NCAA was going to clear him or not and got nervous and ate his nerves.

the UCLA offense is much different this year, that's part of the problem they're trying to run but don't get enough stops on D to do so.

Bazz is playing the 4 now at UCLA, they don't list him at 4 but watch the games. Travis Wear guards the 5, Kyle plays the 3 on offense and guards the 3 or 4 on defense. Bazz plays the 4 on offense and guards the 4 or 3 on defense. he's not a guard.

FWIW he says h's down to 222 now, said 220 the day before but somewhere in that area. So down 13-15 pounds. Said he's been very explosive in practice this week so I'm hoping we'll finally see some better play from him.

So far he's been very disappointing, not a coincidence all 3 UCLA losses came after Bazz got cleared, its' been an adjustment getting him into the rotation and his shot selection and defense have been bad. His 16PPG has been very unimpressive so far so hopefully his new conditioning will make an impact. UCLA can sure use it if he's ready to step up and be a player.

The kid is just starting his college career and with incredible pressures. His body, strength and skill set are incredible. I'm thinking a LeBron style body (a couple inches shorter). I think I would draft this player, if I had a top 3 pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake