2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Rumors are that McLemore is sliding down the draft fast- Zeller/ Bazz style. He very well may be available at #5.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm sure someone has already posted this, but I don't feel like looking for it. So here are a bunch of recent #5 overall picks, along with players that were drafted ahead of them but who turned out to be inferior (possibly due to injuries):

2012: Thomas Robinson, unknown
2011: Jonas Valanciunas, unknown
2010: DeMarcus Cousins, arguably better than every player taken before him (#1 John Wall, #2 Evan Turner, #3 Derrick Favors, #4 Wesley Johnson)
2009: Ricky Rubio, better than #2 Hasheem Thabeet
2008: Kevin Love, better than #2 Michael Beasley, #3 O. J. Mayo
2007: Jeff Green, better than #1 Greg Oden
2006: Shelden Williams, better than #3 Adam Morrison
2005: Raymond Felton, better than #2 Marvin Williams
2004: Devin Harris, better than #4 Shaun Livingston
2003: Dwayne Wade, better than #2 Darko Milicic, #4 Chris Bosh
2002: Nikoloz Tskitishvili
2001: Jason Richardson, better than #1 Kwame Brown, #4 Eddy Curry
2000: Mike Miller, better than #2 Stromile Swift, #3 Darius Miles, #4 Marcus Fizer

Even with all of the sophisticated scouting, there's a pretty good chance that someone in the top four will make a mistake. The question is whether the Suns will be lucky enough to guess right and reap the benefits.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Probably not worth it, but Indiana is making their pick (#23) available to anyone willing to take Gerald Green (2 years at 3.5M each.)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably not worth it, but Indiana is making their pick (#23) available to anyone willing to take Gerald Green (2 years at 3.5M each.)

I'd do it if they sent some cash along with, maybe a couple mil.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd do it if they sent some cash along with, maybe a couple mil.

I don't think even that is worth it. Green makes Shannon Brown look like Ray Allen, so any money spent on his salary is going straight down the toilet. Even a few million is a lot to spend for a pick that's very unlikely to pan out.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's $7M for a pick. I think you can buy a 20+ pick outright for $3M. Reportedly a number of teams were trying to shed themselves of their late first-rounders.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If they were willing to make a draft day deal, it might be worthwhile - if Phx could wait until the pick to see who is available and then decide. Gerald Green is comparable to Wes Johnson on the offensive end and since he logged 1000 minutes for Indiana last season he's almost certain to be a better defender than WJ -who I watched closely for a several games and who sucked on D, IMO. I'm hoping we don't make an offer to him and Green would be a modest cost fill in for a couple of years.

I'm thinking someone like Withey or Gobert or Reggie Bullock. Certainly Dieng if he fell that far

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think McD has as much of a fetish for brothers as Blanks and Babby did.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to Bob Kemp this morning. His show on 1060 starts at 9:00 and is the closest think to a local morning show in the Valley. He mentioned that the Suns may have interest in CJ Leslie with their 30th pick and that a number of mocks have the Suns taking him there, which I haven't seen myself. From what I've read, he appears to have the talent and athleticism, but has a questionable motor.

He also stated that he thought the Suns would run to the podium if McLemore is still available at 5. He recalled a story when he was talking to a Kansas beat writer last season when McLemore was red-shirted and the Kansas team made it to the Championship game. The reporter told him the McLemore was the best player on the team and wasn't even playing in games.

Kemp also proclaimed that he still likes Shabazz and that he'll likely be a 15-20 ppg scorer and that's outstanding for this draft.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shabazz has Corey Maggette written all over him. Same size and same skills too.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shabazz has Corey Maggette written all over him. Same size and same skills too.

Not even close in the skills department. They're of similar height but that's where the comparison ends.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not even close in the skills department. They're of similar height but that's where the comparison ends.

Steve

Maggette was good because of his ability to draw contact earn trips to the FT line and seeing how Shabazz likes to play (post em up and try to overpower his opponents) I think he will have to play the same style as Maggette in order to be successful in this league.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really thought Mclemore was going to be a stud. Still surprised at how nothing his career has been.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's going to take a few years that's for sure but he already has one NBA star level skill, he's an excellent help defender. I'd take him over Oladipo that's for sure. I think most people on this board are overrating Victor. I think his ceiling is Raja Bell and I just can't get too excited over that.

Steve
Noel has one NBA skill level, Oladipo has 3. He can shut you down in ther perimeter, a good spot up shooter and he's one of the best in the world at finishing at the rim.

And what's Noel ceiling? Um, Tyrus Thomas? Greg Stiemsma? Athletic shot blocker with no offense what so ever? Not to mention that PGs in this league will be posting up Noel unless he adds 30-40 lbs to his current frame and who knows if that won't take away from his athleticism.
I’m looking gooooooodddd in this one!

Oladipo, McCollum, and Ben Mclemore were my fave choices in this draft...2 of 3 ain’t bad!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I really thought Mclemore was going to be a stud. Still surprised at how nothing his career has been.

I remember wanting him instead of Len, but that wasn't based on much. Still, it's a good example of how much we get influenced by the "expert" consensus.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Oladipo was the only guard or wing I wanted, which looked like a bad call until he blossomed this year at Indy. I wanted bigs but to avoid Bennett, Noel and Zeller. I wanted Dieng or Adams and was neutral on Len. I thought about Gobert but I figured he was about 20-1 to be a bust - the kind of gamble you take in the 2nd round. Archie I didn't even know about until we picked him, and then I decided he was a steal.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake