2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
If that happens, good chance that Noel and/or McLemore or Oladipo will be available for the Suns.

If Len goes #1, I see the first four as.

1) Cleveland - Len
2) Orlando - McLemore
3) Wash. - Noel
4) Charlotte - Bennett

That would leave Porter or Oladipo for the Suns at #5. In that scenario, I would go with Oladipo. I am hoping that Wash. would stick with their original attachment to Porter and Noel slips to the Suns.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Why is everyone obsessed with Noel? It will be 6 years before he is not skinny enough to get pushed around by PGs, let alone Centers, he is recovering from his second injury already, and he has no skill on offense. No Noel, please.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone obsessed with Noel? It will be 6 years before he is not skinny enough to get pushed around by PGs, let alone Centers, he is recovering from his second injury already, and he has no skill on offense. No Noel, please.

It's going to take a few years that's for sure but he already has one NBA star level skill, he's an excellent help defender. I'd take him over Oladipo that's for sure. I think most people on this board are overrating Victor. I think his ceiling is Raja Bell and I just can't get too excited over that.

I'm not sure who I'd take between Noel and Porter. If I were a contending team or near that level I'd take Porter in a heartbeat. IMO, if none of the high risk/high reward players pay off, Porter will likely be the best player from this draft. He's a complete player with strengths on both sides of the ball. He won't be a superstar but he'll be just below All Star level and should be an excellent complementary starter in the NBA.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It's going to take a few years that's for sure but he already has one NBA star level skill, he's an excellent help defender. I'd take him over Oladipo that's for sure. I think most people on this board are overrating Victor. I think his ceiling is Raja Bell and I just can't get too excited over that.

I'm not sure who I'd take between Noel and Porter. If I were a contending team or near that level I'd take Porter in a heartbeat. IMO, if none of the high risk/high reward players pay off, Porter will likely be the best player from this draft. He's a complete player with strengths on both sides of the ball. He won't be a superstar but he'll be just below All Star level and should be an excellent complementary starter in the NBA.

Steve

Noel has one NBA skill level, Oladipo has 3. He can shut you down in ther perimeter, a good spot up shooter and he's one of the best in the world at finishing at the rim.

And what's Noel ceiling? Um, Tyrus Thomas? Greg Stiemsma? Athletic shot blocker with no offense what so ever? Not to mention that PGs in this league will be posting up Noel unless he adds 30-40 lbs to his current frame and who knows if that won't take away from his athleticism.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noel has one NBA skill level, Oladipo has 3. He can shut you down in ther perimeter, a good spot up shooter and he's one of the best in the world at finishing at the rim.

And what's Noel ceiling? Um, Tyrus Thomas? Greg Stiemsma? Athletic shot blocker with no offense what so ever? Not to mention that PGs in this league will be posting up Noel unless he adds 30-40 lbs to his current frame and who knows if that won't take away from his athleticism.

I don't consider him a good spot up shooter. If he does become the kind of guy who can consistently hit the mid-range shot under pressure, you're right he'll be a star. I'm not convinced he'll ever be that guy though. As for Noel, the improvement between his first game at Kentucky and his last one was significant. There's no reason to not expect him to continue to improve and there's no reason to not expect him to fill out. Neither may happen but this is a similar course for a lot of big men. He's a much bigger risk than Oladipo but I still believe his potential payout is much greater.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
AzStev,
I think his ceiling is Raja Bell and I just can't get too excited over that.

Except for 3pt shooting I'd say that Raja is about the floor for Oladipo... you do realize that he was subpar among SGs in many categories: FTA, Reb, Ast, Blk, Stls - and we saw him at his best. For his career he was about a half in those stats. His TO's were low but since he never ever drove to the bucket and rarely tried a difficult assist, he had little reason to turn the ball over.
Raja was a first rate 1-1 defender, though not so good at team/help defense. With his reputed athleticism and motor Oladipo could be considerably better at both but he may also fall a bit short in 1-1 D. In all those secondary categories where Raja was subpar I expect Oladipo to be above average, excepting perhaps assists.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzStev,

Except for 3pt shooting I'd say that Raja is about the floor for Oladipo... you do realize that he was subpar among SGs in many categories: FTA, Reb, Ast, Blk, Stls - and we saw him at his best. For his career he was about a half in those stats. His TO's were low but since he never ever drove to the bucket and rarely tried a difficult assist, he had little reason to turn the ball over.
Raja was a first rate 1-1 defender, though not so good at team/help defense. With his reputed athleticism and motor Oladipo could be considerably better at both but he may also fall a bit short in 1-1 D. In all those secondary categories where Raja was subpar I expect Oladipo to be above average, excepting perhaps assists.

Well, if we do draft Oladipo, I hope you guys are correct.

Steve

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Just watching all the players the Suns brought in for workouts, I would not be surprised if they did not wait until #30 to draft a SG or a PG that shoots. It seems there will be some available late where a good big man may not last that long. Also I would not be surprised if the Suns tried to trade for another pick or try to move around in the draft. McDonough seems comfortable in his player knowledge wherever they select

I think I'd prefer to Draft SG at #5 and move up into mid 1st to get Adams, Gobert, Dieng, Plumlee, Nogueria, or Withey, etc. Zeller, or Olynyk could be offensively at the 4 to play alongside Gortat and play the 5 in spots. That's a lot of depth at Center.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'd prefer to Draft SG at #5 and move up into mid 1st to get Adams, Gobert, Dieng, Plumlee, Nogueria, or Withey, etc. Zeller, or Olynyk could be offensively at the 4 to play alongside Gortat and play the 5 in spots. That's a lot of depth at Center.

I'm going on the premise the Suns only have picks #5 and #30 in the first round. That's why I'm leaning for a big man at #5. Presently I can't get excited about the Suns likely options at #5 for SG/SF. I think Gortat will be traded and the Suns will need a young big man that will grow with the team. IMO, bigs over smalls if everything is equal. McLemore is not likely to be available to the Suns. I view this draft fairly level in regard to talent.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Alex Len or Steven Adams as my options at #5, if the Suns are expecting to Trade Gortat mid season. I'd probably pass on Noel with multiple knee injuries... and I feel he's more PF for the next 2-3 years.

I can't say I know a lot of the wings at #30 - I didn't even watch much College after the PAC-12 season started for U of A - NBA refs are the worst but I hardly enjoy Collegiate refs anymore. Its bad enough the Suns always pick the guy I like least in Draft but Basketball is becoming more like the WWE for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alex Len or Steven Adams as my options at #5, if the Suns are expecting to Trade Gortat mid season. I'd probably pass on Noel with multiple knee injuries... and I feel he's more PF for the next 2-3 years.

I can't say I know a lot of the wings at #30 - I didn't even watch much College after the PAC-12 season started for U of A - NBA refs are the worst but I hardly enjoy Collegiate refs anymore. Its bad enough the Suns always pick the guy I like least in Draft but Basketball is becoming more like the WWE for me.

I too worry about Noel's long term health so I'm hoping some other team grabs him before #5. Len or Adams would be fine with me but I think Len will be gone. I'd be happy with Adams at #5. Lately Jeff Withey has been getting some love for the #30 pick. I think he will be a solid journeyman center but only as a backup. If the Suns go big at #5, I'd be more than happy getting Isaiah Canaan at #30.

Just to throw some fuel in the fire, how would you feel about Bennett at #5 and Withey at #30? I don't have any faith in the Morris twins nor Marshall. Also I think Gortat and Scola will be leaving. I like the the Adams and Canaan scenario the best or even Bennett and Canaan.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't consider him a good spot up shooter. If he does become the kind of guy who can consistently hit the mid-range shot under pressure, you're right he'll be a star. I'm not convinced he'll ever be that guy though. As for Noel, the improvement between his first game at Kentucky and his last one was significant. There's no reason to not expect him to continue to improve and there's no reason to not expect him to fill out. Neither may happen but this is a similar course for a lot of big men. He's a much bigger risk than Oladipo but I still believe his potential payout is much greater.

Steve

I think you are wrong about most of this. He has a Kobe type of competitiveness and has already shown a willingness to work intensely on his shot. He is more likely to improve his shooting that LeBron was and he has already done it. His athleticism is way beyond Raja Bell, but his defensive focus is similar.

I think Oladipo will be a star and he is the player I want most out of this draft.

He is going to be intensely marketable. That intensity is the same type of intensity that pushed Kevin Garnett to greatness.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like the Cavs are willing to take on Marion's contract in order to move up from 19 to 13. The Suns could only offer #30.

Also, Alex Len currently appears to be at the top of Cavs' draft board. It seems very unlikely at this point that Len will still be available at #5.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you are wrong about most of this. He has a Kobe type of competitiveness and has already shown a willingness to work intensely on his shot. He is more likely to improve his shooting that LeBron was and he has already done it. His athleticism is way beyond Raja Bell, but his defensive focus is similar.

I think Oladipo will be a star and he is the player I want most out of this draft.

He is going to be intensely marketable. That intensity is the same type of intensity that pushed Kevin Garnett to greatness.

It sure won't be the first time. I really liked Oladipo early in the season but he seemed to struggle when the defense finally woke up and realized he was no longer the Victor of old. I do like the way he approaches the game but I'm just not convinced he has that extra level you guys see. I don't expect him to fail by any means, I just don't see potential star when I watch him.

Steve

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would it be ironic if PHX end up trading with DAL and gets both Noel at #5 and Muhammed at #13? Especially since last year everyone was hoping to land the first 2 picks to get both of them, what a difference a year makes.

With all that being said, I hope PHX doesn't take Bennett, maybe the most talented college player but he is an undersized tweener. If Len, McLemore, Porter & Oladipo are gone I think PHX goes with either Zeller or Noel. I think Noel's lack of bulk and injury concerns are too much of a risk at #5 so I would prefer Zeller. Besides even with Zeller able to play right away PHX is still going to be terrible and in good shape for #1 in 2014. At #30, NBA Draft Net consistently has PHX taking Jamaal Franklin, a tall SG who played SF at SDSU. I think he would be good or either Michael Snaer, Reggie Bullock or Archie Goodwin. Also, a foreigner would be my guess for the 2nd round, McDonough has said he wants to get 2 players who can play immediately and he would be willing to stash a player overseas for a couple of years to develop, Augusto Lima out of Brazil did work out for PHX according to the AZ Republic, so stay tuned.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It sure won't be the first time. I really liked Oladipo early in the season but he seemed to struggle when the defense finally woke up and realized he was no longer the Victor of old. I do like the way he approaches the game but I'm just not convinced he has that extra level you guys see. I don't expect him to fail by any means, I just don't see potential star when I watch him.

Steve

I am a HUGE Oladipo fan, but I do agree that people seem to be overrating him a bit. I do believe that his work ethic, competitive spirit,and desire to get better will make him a better shooter, but I really don't think he will be a star. He will be a very nice player, and in this draft, I am OK with that.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Would it be ironic if PHX end up trading with DAL and gets both Noel at #5 and Muhammed at #13? Especially since last year everyone was hoping to land the first 2 picks to get both of them, what a difference a year makes.

With all that being said, I hope PHX doesn't take Bennett, maybe the most talented college player but he is an undersized tweener. If Len, McLemore, Porter & Oladipo are gone I think PHX goes with either Zeller or Noel. I think Noel's lack of bulk and injury concerns are too much of a risk at #5 so I would prefer Zeller. Besides even with Zeller able to play right away PHX is still going to be terrible and in good shape for #1 in 2014. At #30, NBA Draft Net consistently has PHX taking Jamaal Franklin, a tall SG who played SF at SDSU. I think he would be good or either Michael Snaer, Reggie Bullock or Archie Goodwin. Also, a foreigner would be my guess for the 2nd round, McDonough has said he wants to get 2 players who can play immediately and he would be willing to stash a player overseas for a couple of years to develop, Augusto Lima out of Brazil did work out for PHX according to the AZ Republic, so stay tuned.

I am not a Noel fan, but I would take him over Zeller any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Zeller struggles defensively, and he will have a really hard time scoring on NBA big guys due to his average wingspan. I watched a lot of Indiana games last year (mainly because of Oladipo), and Zeller was useless when he was being defended by a longer opponent.

Channing Frye is his ceiling, in my opinion. At least with Noel, there is hope he can develop into a Tyson Chandler/ Dikembe Mutombo type. I don't think he'll stay healthy for more than 20 games per season, and I don't think he'll be able to not get pushed around by PGs, let alone Centers for 6-7 years, but I'd still take him over Zeller.

Now, if Len and Noel were available, I'd go with Len, but Zeller's potential ceiling is just so low that I wouldn't take him unless the Suns were able to add a very late lottery pick and guys like Dieng, Adams, etc were gone.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not a Noel fan, but I would take him over Zeller any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Zeller struggles defensively, and he will have a really hard time scoring on NBA big guys due to his average wingspan. I watched a lot of Indiana games last year (mainly because of Oladipo), and Zeller was useless when he was being defended by a longer opponent.

Channing Frye is his ceiling, in my opinion. At least with Noel, there is hope he can develop into a Tyson Chandler/ Dikembe Mutombo type. I don't think he'll stay healthy for more than 20 games per season, and I don't think he'll be able to not get pushed around by PGs, let alone Centers for 6-7 years, but I'd still take him over Zeller.

Now, if Len and Noel were available, I'd go with Len, but Zeller's potential ceiling is just so low that I wouldn't take him unless the Suns were able to add a very late lottery pick and guys like Dieng, Adams, etc were gone.

PHX could get basically a bigger, healthier version of Noel in Jeff Withey at #30. Noel has more potential than Withey but Withey brings they same thing Noel does (defense & rebounding) but is a better shooter (especially from the FT line) than Noel. If Noel wasn't so injury prone I would be ecstatic to take him at #5 but he could be the next Greg Oden, out of the league in a few years because of his leg problems which he has because he has twigs for legs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHX could get basically a bigger, healthier version of Noel in Jeff Withey at #30. Noel has more potential than Withey but Withey brings they same thing Noel does (defense & rebounding) but is a better shooter (especially from the FT line) than Noel. If Noel wasn't so injury prone I would be ecstatic to take him at #5 but he could be the next Greg Oden, out of the league in a few years because of his leg problems which he has because he has twigs for legs.

IMO, there is not much difference between Zeller and Withey. Withey would be the better value at #30. I'd stay away from Noel and I'm not excited about Oladipo. When I think Oladipo, I also think D. J. Strawberry.

Again, I rather for the Suns to go big at #5 with a player like Len (not likely to be there) or Adams who has long term potential. I wouldn't be afraid of drafting Bennett as some because of the "tweener" label. If he weren't athletic I would be afraid. Shawn Marion was a tweener and he turned out pretty good.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeller just can't be a serious candidate for #5.

I may cry if we took Zeller at #5. Frankly I think he's going to drop like a rock. I also want no part of Noel. I would rather have Dieng even at #5. Noel's weight worries me enough, but the knee problems scare the hell out of me. I know that picking him would make us worse for next season and give us a better shot at one of those prized top three draft picks, but I don't want to waste this year's pick just to be that bad. I'd rather we just traded it.

I can't make up my mind on Oladipo. My initial take on him was no way do you take him at #5. If you are going to take somebody that high with limited offense they better be a center or maybe a power forward. You really should be able to find athletic players of his size that can be fantastic defenders much later in the draft. But everybody I've talked to says this guy has such an incredible work ethic and athleticism that he could still improve significantly on offense.

I think the chances of this happening are slim, but it's an interesting question nevertheless. Who should we take if McLemore and Oladipo are available.

Joe

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Yes, McLemore. He's one year younger. I'd be glad with any of those two, and I'd also be okay with Otto P. He can be a cornerstone for us. Just ship out Beasley. I'd be most happy with Alex Len or Dieng. That way we can play a young big un and keep sucking to land one of the big three next year. No thanks to Burke, Bennett and Noel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake