2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It could have save some people a lot of money if they had considered this with Adam Morrison. :p

Poor Adam Morrison, that guy had the odd combination of being a clutch college player and a over the top emotional wreck when things went bad. I have never seen anything like when he started crying during the Gonzaga collapse but BEFORE UCLA had taken the lead in that tournament game.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I think his point is that it might influence the decision makers when it comes to his draft status not that it will affect his play. It does make him look soft which I guess might make a difference to someone if they were on the fence about him.

Steve

I think the fact that he has short arms and plays below the rim might doom him more than his long hair.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe true for some team on the fence.

However, some had questions about Noah's toughness entering the NBA due to the more privileged background of his parents.

man...I don't remember any of that. the guy was an animal in college, no matter what his parents background was.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
man...I don't remember any of that. the guy was an animal in college, no matter what his parents background was.

Indeed Noah has been been a great success for the Bulls. Perhaps my recollection is off base.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poor Adam Morrison, that guy had the odd combination of being a clutch college player and a over the top emotional wreck when things went bad. I have never seen anything like when he started crying during the Gonzaga collapse but BEFORE UCLA had taken the lead in that tournament game.

It's been awhile since I watched the ending on Youtube but my recollection was he didn't really start crying until after Farmar hit Mbah A Moute for the go ahead bucket. What I always thoguht was odd was as you said he was an emotional wreck before the game was over, GU inbounded and Luc chased the ball down from behind poked it away and then slid on top of it, and Morrison was already head in his hands at that point.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I thought the knock on Noah was that he'd be very limited offensively, partly because his jump shot (well, set shot, really) makes Shawn Marion's look like poetry in motion. What's funny is that Noah's shot has, if anything, gotten worse, but it's uncannily accurate. Every time he makes one it looks impossible, but he keeps making them.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Cavs will draft Alex Len first overall.

Noel could possibly slip down to PHX at #5...

HooverDam

Reaction score
Rumor has it that the Cavs will draft Alex Len first overall.

Noel could possibly slip down to PHX at #5...

Noel has tons of red flags and I probably wouldn't take him at 1, but on the extreme off chance he slides to 5, the Suns probably have to take him. Especially if Aaron Nelson and co get a chance to look him over and give him the thumbs up.

Even if he is a bust, he won't play in year 1, thus giving the Suns much better odds at #1 next year and that alone may be worth it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Noel has tons of red flags and I probably wouldn't take him at 1, but on the extreme off chance he slides to 5, the Suns probably have to take him. Especially if Aaron Nelson and co get a chance to look him over and give him the thumbs up.

Even if he is a bust, he won't play in year 1, thus giving the Suns much better odds at #1 next year and that alone may be worth it.

This is my thoughts EXACTLY! Draft the super high upside gamble guy knowing you've got the medical training wunder crew, hope he sits out entire year ensuring full health upon return while simultaneously ensuring he doesn't improve the team, and hopefully we stink enough to land wiggins next year. 2015 becomes an extremely exciting year as we get to see our baby suns Noel and wiggins hopefully come in healthy with a big impact!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been pushing for him or Bennett since mid-season for the same reason. They both have huge ceilings and huge risks. In the short run they aren't likely to impact us in the wins column going into what looks to be a very strong draft year. For me, the huge risk with Noel isn't his injury nor his ability to play the game. It's the risk that he won't be a factor on his first contract. Barring career ending or career altering injury (something beyond his current recovery), I think Noel will be a good player at the worst with the potential to become a great player. I just don't know if it will happen in the next 3 or 4 years.

If Noel isn't available for us, Bennett has similar up-side. His flaws suggest he will hurt as much as help the first year or two but unlike Noel, he does have huge bust potential. He will have to pretty much re-learn how to play the game when he hits the NBA. With his quickness, strength, build and length he should be a great defender and a force down low. He is neither right now. But, he can score even when the defense focuses on him and other than McLemore and maybe Burke I don't know if you can say that about anyone else in this class.

Steve

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Looks like NBADraft.net is putting a lot of weight to those rumors and have Len going first and Noel going 5th in their latest mock draft. The Suns didn't even get a chance to work out Noel despite trying. Maybe it's time he start taking those invitations.

McLemore is also supposedly dropping. This could be an interesting draft. Generally the order of top 5 is relatively predictable, but this year some scouts might actually earn their money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like NBADraft.net is putting a lot of weight to those rumors and have Len going first and Noel going 5th in their latest mock draft. The Suns didn't even get a chance to work out Noel despite trying. Maybe it's time he start taking those invitations.

McLemore is also supposedly dropping. This could be an interesting draft. Generally the order of top 5 is relatively predictable, but this year some scouts might actually earn their money.

As Noel is only a freshman it is hard to predict his upside. At first glance, I thought he reminded me of Kevin Garnett but then looking at his slight frame, poor shooting and a torn ACL, I can see why teams are hesitant. If he doesn't go #1 he might drop for awhile. Adams might have a similar upside without some of the question marks.

It would be most interesting if McLemore dropped to #5 but I don't think he will.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like teams are really getting concerned about Noel's injury. I wonder if something has come up in medical exams. This draft has a lot of safe rotation players. The potential home run types have a lot of risk.

The home run players with risk are: Noel, McLemore, Bennett, Shabazz, Zeller, and maybe Burke.

The safe players are: Porter, Oladipo, Len, Adams (but these only if they are picked at the right spot).

Errntknght

Reaction score
I've been following a mock draft on SBNation where the choices are made by bloggers for various teams. The bloggers for OKC detailed their thinking in making their selection at 12. One of their most hopeful plans was to trade Perkins and the #12 to Phoenix for Gortat but the Suns bloggers weren't excited and countered by adding Dudley for Jeremy Lamb, which they rejected on the grounds that they were too interested in seeing how Lamb panned out. Portland traded the #10 straight up for Gortat, ending that little saga. (Phoenix selected Gobert with the pick amid much controversy)

What I also found interesting was that they focused on Zeller, Dieng and Adams. They thought Dieng would bring the most improvement near term, improving them both defensively and offensively. They thought Adams was also better but they settled on Zeller because it would be embarrassing if he reached his potential and they'd passed the chance to take him with a #12 pick. I wonder how often that kind of thinking plays a role in the real drafts - no one ever admits to it.

What I liked about the draft was that we got Oladipo at #5. The first eleven picks were:
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]1. [/font]Cleveland Cavaliers[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]: NERLENS NOEL[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]2. [/font]Orlando Magic[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] BEN MCLEMORE[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]3. [/font]Washington Wizards[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] OTTO PORTER[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]4. Charlotte [/font]Hornets[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] ALEX LEN[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]5. [/font]Phoenix Suns[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] VICTOR OLADIPO[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]6. New Orleans Pelicans TREY BURKE[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]7. [/font]Sacramento Kings[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] ANTHONY BENNETT (for Philly)[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]8. [/font]Detroit Pistons[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] C.J. MCCOLLUM[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]9. [/font]Minnesota Timberwolves[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] KENTAVIOUS CALDWELL-POPE[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]10. [/font]Portland Trail Blazers[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] RUDY GOBERT (for Phoenix)[/font]
[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif]11. [/font]Philadelphia 76ers[FONT='Mercury SSm A', 'Mercury SSm B', Georgia, Georgia, serif] MICHAEL CARTER-WILLIAMS (For Sacramento)[/font]

Edit: Sorry about that mess...

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I also found interesting was that they focused on Zeller, Dieng and Adams. They thought Dieng would bring the most improvement near term, improving them both defensively and offensively. They thought Adams was also better but they settled on Zeller because it would be embarrassing if he reached his potential and they'd passed the chance to take him with a #12 pick. I wonder how often that kind of thinking plays a role in the real drafts - no one ever admits to it.

I hope the Suns GM goes away from this type thinking, which I think he will. Draft choices should be based on scouting and thorough analysis. I think this type thinking frequently occurs in the draft.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With CP3 and Dwight wanting to team up so bad I wonder if someone thing like this would be beneficial for us and LAC & LAL

Clippers get: Dwight
Lakers get: Bledsoe, #5, Gortat
Suns get: Blake Griffin

This was created by another fan on a different forum but it makes sense for all 3 teams involved imo. Suns would finally get that young star power that they so desperately need.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reportedly Mavs are trying to trade the #13 pick along with some high salaried player in order to clear cap space to make a run at Paul+Howard. There were rumors that they were shopping Marion, but Cuban denied it.

Marion is in the final year of his contract (around $9M). The Suns could probably make a trade like that work if they wanted to. An extra lottery pick for taking on some salary for a year.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Reportedly Mavs are trying to trade the #13 pick along with some high salaried player in order to clear cap space to make a run at Paul+Howard. There were rumors that they were shopping Marion, but Cuban denied it.

Marion is in the final year of his contract (around $9M). The Suns could probably make a trade like that work if they wanted to. An extra lottery pick for taking on some salary for a year.

I'd rather trade Gortat to OKC for the 12th pick + Perkins because I'm afraid OKC is going to take Dieng and I want us to get him. The downside is that it costs more... I think Perkins is signed for two more years. Or maybe trade him to Portland for the 10th pick...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With CP3 and Dwight wanting to team up so bad I wonder if someone thing like this would be beneficial for us and LAC & LAL

Clippers get: Dwight
Lakers get: Bledsoe, #5, Gortat
Suns get: Blake Griffin

This was created by another fan on a different forum but it makes sense for all 3 teams involved imo. Suns would finally get that young star power that they so desperately need.

How people convince themselves the impossible makes sense simply so that the suns get a superstar is always comical to me.

That trade gets the lakers no closer to a title AND they don't get an established superstar to rebuild around? That trade would never happen in a million years.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is my thoughts EXACTLY! Draft the super high upside gamble guy knowing you've got the medical training wunder crew, hope he sits out entire year ensuring full health upon return while simultaneously ensuring he doesn't improve the team, and hopefully we stink enough to land wiggins next year. 2015 becomes an extremely exciting year as we get to see our baby suns Noel and wiggins hopefully come in healthy with a big impact!

I've been pushing for him or Bennett since mid-season for the same reason. They both have huge ceilings and huge risks. In the short run they aren't likely to impact us in the wins column going into what looks to be a very strong draft year. For me, the huge risk with Noel isn't his injury nor his ability to play the game. It's the risk that he won't be a factor on his first contract. Barring career ending or career altering injury (something beyond his current recovery), I think Noel will be a good player at the worst with the potential to become a great player. I just don't know if it will happen in the next 3 or 4 years.

If Noel isn't available for us, Bennett has similar up-side. His flaws suggest he will hurt as much as help the first year or two but unlike Noel, he does have huge bust potential. He will have to pretty much re-learn how to play the game when he hits the NBA. With his quickness, strength, build and length he should be a great defender and a force down low. He is neither right now. But, he can score even when the defense focuses on him and other than McLemore and maybe Burke I don't know if you can say that about anyone else in this class.

Steve

it might actually benefit him in the same way i believe it benefitted Griffin. being able to watch the games and learn from that prospective.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'd rather trade Gortat to OKC for the 12th pick + Perkins because I'm afraid OKC is going to take Dieng and I want us to get him. The downside is that it costs more... I think Perkins is signed for two more years. Or maybe trade him to Portland for the 10th pick...

Those moves aren't mutually exclusive though.

The Suns can take on Marion and the Mavs pick and not necessarily have to send back another player. Theoretically the Suns could send back something like 2 second rounders for Marion and the pick. Or perhaps the Suns send back a cheap body like Garrett or Tucker to help the Mavs fill out their roster. I'd be thrilled with that.

Then with Gortat, the Suns need to play OKC and Portland gained ech other. Perkins is awful and has 2 years left on his deal. So if the Thinder want Gortat, an athletic big who can run with Durant/Westbrook, ask for Lamb and the #12.

Portland wants a quality Center to play inside and compliment Adriges midge game, Gortat is an ideal fit. From Portland the Suns wouldn't need to take back a Perk like contract JD the pick is slightly better. Offer Gortat for the #10 and the Blazers would have to send young cheap filler to make it work (ie Freeland, Jeffries and Barton).

In fact you can do them as related deals. Do the Portland deal first for instance, and then you send one of the young guys (or one of the Suns young low/no upside guys) to Dallas as part of receiving their pick and Marion.

I'd love the Suns to have picks 5, 10, 13, 30 and Shawn Marion, that'd be great even in a weak draft. The Suns need to be aquiring assets and that's what those deals would do. Maybe you then combine picks to move up, flip them for other assets or whatever.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those moves aren't mutually exclusive though.

The Suns can take on Marion and the Mavs pick and not necessarily have to send back another player. Theoretically the Suns could send back something like 2 second rounders for Marion and the pick. Or perhaps the Suns send back a cheap body like Garrett or Tucker to help the Mavs fill out their roster. I'd be thrilled with that.

Then with Gortat, the Suns need to play OKC and Portland gained ech other. Perkins is awful and has 2 years left on his deal. So if the Thinder want Gortat, an athletic big who can run with Durant/Westbrook, ask for Lamb and the #12.

Portland wants a quality Center to play inside and compliment Adriges midge game, Gortat is an ideal fit. From Portland the Suns wouldn't need to take back a Perk like contract JD the pick is slightly better. Offer Gortat for the #10 and the Blazers would have to send young cheap filler to make it work (ie Freeland, Jeffries and Barton).

In fact you can do them as related deals. Do the Portland deal first for instance, and then you send one of the young guys (or one of the Suns young low/no upside guys) to Dallas as part of receiving their pick and Marion.

I'd love the Suns to have picks 5, 10, 13, 30 and Shawn Marion, that'd be great even in a weak draft. The Suns need to be aquiring assets and that's what those deals would do. Maybe you then combine picks to move up, flip them for other assets or whatever.

And tell Shawn we missed him. :)

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Alex Len #1 Is Possible: More than a few teams are changing their tune on the possibility of Maryland big man Alex Len going number one overall. The story goes that Len and new Cavs’ player-development coach Vitaly Potapenko have a little history and that both Potapenko and Cavs assistant general manager Zydrunas Ilgauskas have been pushing for Len over several others in the field.

The Cavs will meet with Nerlens Noel today, but the chatter of Alex Len going #1 overall seems to be gaining real momentum. As the general belief is Len who is recovering from an ankle surgery in May, is more developed offensively and that he may be able contribute sooner than say Noel who is out until at least December.

There is a lot of time between now and the actual selection at #1, but the chatter of Len going one overall seems to be real.

If that happens, good chance that Noel and/or McLemore or Oladipo will be available for the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake