2012-2013 NBA Prospects thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, not too crazy about a 6'7 power forward, though his arms are very long, so he might be less undersized than most other 6'7 PFs. Too heavy to guard small forwards for sure, though he doesn't play defense no matter who he is guarding anyway. :(

EDIT:
In all fairness, he is a very good scorer, and almost impossible to defend.

I'd rather have a prototypical big guy but I think Anthony could turn out to be special. He's been up and down this season, like most freshman, but he's almost unstoppable when he's focused. Also, he has more than enough quickness, IMO, to play the 3. There's no reason he couldn't become a strong defender too if someone can convince him to give it a try. I'd take a Tim Duncan if there was one available but I think we're going to have to take a risk no matter where we draft. All of these guys have question marks, he has fewer than most IMO.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Chad Ford now has Shabazz 8th. Says 2 recent poor performances and scouts not enamored with his game, think he lacks explosiveness and isn't big enough to play his position. Which to me is a polite way of saying he is NOT a 2 and he's too small to play the 3. He's more a 3/4 than he is a 2/3.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Chad Ford now has Shabazz 8th. Says 2 recent poor performances and scouts not enamored with his game, think he lacks explosiveness and isn't big enough to play his position. Which to me is a polite way of saying he is NOT a 2 and he's too small to play the 3. He's more a 3/4 than he is a 2/3.

Well, that's too bad. I was hoping that the guys above us drafted Shabazz and Noel and left us with some quality options when we select 3rd (Lakers pick) and 5th.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Shabbaz doesn't look very promising anymore.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In all seriousness if we are drafting Top 5 IMO Cody Zeller should be the pick. NBA Draft Net compares him to LaMarcus Aldridge and he will fill the need for an offensive post player once Gortat is gone.

Aldridge is a terrible comparison for Cody Zeller who is nowhere near to Aldridge's offensive arsenal and length.

Zeller reminds me of Anderson Varejao which is not a bad thing at all but I reluctantly would use a top5 pick on a player of Varejao's caliber.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Isn't Shabazz quite similar to Quentin Richardson (with bigger wingspan) from his Clipper days?

Muhammad can overpower wing players in the post or in transition and can shoot but otherwise I'm not sure either what else he can bring on the table.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
McLemore has some issues, but he is likely to be gone by the time the Suns pick, so I really don't know who I would take if McLemore was gone. Marcus Smart, Otto Porter, Oladipo, perhaps? Not sure how I feel about Len just yet.

I haven't been watching CB much but McLemore, Porter, Oladipo, and Smart are probably my top options... Len I've seen the least but he could be possibility. Noel depending on how far the Suns drop possibly but probably not with Top-5. I was originally high on Goodwin but he appears to have taken step back.

I was always high on Mason Plumlee's athletic tools for the last 3 years but he's probably a low Lottery Pick.

I like some of the Late 1st Round talent which would even include Nick Johnson :) and Jahii Carson but who knows if Suns get Miami or Lakers Lottery...

Suns pretty much have me upset Draft time that why even bother watching CB though. Trading/Selling 8 Picks, etc. - I included the Kurt Thomas Picks and while I was impressed by Markieff's play last year, the Suns Drafts under Sarver have been disappointing...

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
unless we get the #1 pick...We're not getting McLemore.:(

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
unless we get the #1 pick...We're not getting McLemore.:(

I think it's way too early to tell. Just a couple of months ago, Bazz was a lock to be the first picmk and McLemore was barely in the lottery. Still a lot of collage ball to be played, not to mention pre-draft workouts and all that nice stuff. I am sure there will be lots of changes to the way this draft is looking now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN lotto simulator is up. It clearly has the Suns draft priorities as:

1. McLemore
2. Noel
3. Oladipo
4. Otto Porter

You can't really find a scenario in which one of those players will not be available when the Suns pick, no matter how the lottery goes.

Shabazz is available in every situation. I think I might take Shabazz over Porter. We'll see how the rest of the years goes. Shabazz is behind Oladipo on espn for almost everyone.

Ran it 30 times:
Porter--10
Oladipo--13
McLemore--5
Noel--2

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

1. McLemore
2. Noel
3. Oladipo
4. Otto Porter

You can't really find a scenario in which one of those players will not be available when the Suns pick, no matter how the lottery goes.

Shabazz is available in every situation. I think I might take Shabazz over Porter. We'll see how the rest of the years goes. Shabazz is behind Oladipo on espn for almost everyone.

And the #14, which we have in every scenario, is CJ McCollum every time. I didn't see it different once.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Huh? Even if the Suns go into the lottery as the #4 seed, they could easily wind up at #5 or #6.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. McLemore
2. Noel
3. Oladipo
4. Otto Porter

Ran it 30 times:
Porter--10
Oladipo--13
McLemore--5
Noel--2

I wouldn't take Shabazz, period. There is a chance that he will become a star in the league, something below but approaching the Paul Pierce level but I wouldn't risk it. I say below because even if he can still be dominant once he's playing against other adults, adults that are as strong as him and far more athletic, he's never going to defend. It's pretty clear that isn't in the cards for this guy. I don't think it's possible to watch this guy play regularly and actually like him. Does anyone really want to place this team's future in the hands of a me-first prima donna that has almost as good a chance to be a bust as he does to be a star?

Steve

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I do hope the Suns can get another first-rounder. While there is no clear future Superstar, there is so much talent out there this year. I would love that Toronto pick OKC is getting in addition to our own and the LA pick.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Huh? Even if the Suns go into the lottery as the #4 seed, they could easily wind up at #5 or #6.

But in Stein's lottery simulator when we fall to #5 or #6 someone picks Len and/or Smart before our pick comes up and one of those other four players is always available for us. So in that universe, we always get McLemore, Noel, Oladipo, or Otto Porter. No matter what.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The worst we could be at this point is #7. Surprising how many time that happened.

I would not be disappointed with Shabazz. UCLA is not known for making players look good.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Shabazz, period. There is a chance that he will become a star in the league, something below but approaching the Paul Pierce level but I wouldn't risk it. I say below because even if he can still be dominant once he's playing against other adults, adults that are as strong as him and far more athletic, he's never going to defend. It's pretty clear that isn't in the cards for this guy. I don't think it's possible to watch this guy play regularly and actually like him. Does anyone really want to place this team's future in the hands of a me-first prima donna that has almost as good a chance to be a bust as he does to be a star?

Steve

I gotta stop because he's a UCLA player and I do root for him but it is amazing at times how selfish he is.

2 examples last night, 2nd half under 10 on the shot clock Norman Powell is 22 feet away and starts driving right towards the middle of the key and has a step on his man. Suddenly there is Bazz yelling, clapping his hands and running right at Powell demanding the ball. He literally cut off his own teammates drive, Powell had to circle out and pass and UCLA didn't score. Then in transition Bazz was tired so he grabbed someone and got a foul. Howland actually yanked him over it.

later 2nd half Anderson has the ball, Bazz is again yelling and clapping for it, Kyle doesn't pass it and eventually gets so mad he loudly yells at Bazz to shut up. You have to know what a nice kid Kyle Anderson is and he and Bazz have been friends for years, but even he could only take so much.

he was great early against ASU, then faded. He has definitely improved his shooting I keep expecting his 3 point percentage to fall off but it's not, but I can't recall him beating anybody off the dribble all year.

He can put the ball in the basket but there is no Bazz in team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst we could be at this point is #7. Surprising how many time that happened.

I would not be disappointed with Shabazz. UCLA is not known for making players look good.

That was the old offense, they're averaging 76 PPG this year and Bazz has total freedom on offense.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just run the simulator. You'll see what I am talking about.

Ah, so if you assume that the players the Suns might target are different from the players that those ahead of them in the draft might target, the Suns' targets will all be there. Yes, I'd agree with that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in Stein's lottery simulator when we fall to #5 or #6 someone picks Len and/or Smart before our pick comes up and one of those other four players is always available for us. So in that universe, we always get McLemore, Noel, Oladipo, or Otto Porter. No matter what.

Smart is high on the list of players I would take.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from Noel too. Not that I don't think he will become a pretty good player but because I don't think it will happen soon enough for whoever drafts him. He's the kind of player that you might want after his rookie contract.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd stay away from Noel too. Not that I don't think he will become a pretty good player but because I don't think it will happen soon enough for whoever drafts him. He's the kind of player that you might want after his rookie contract.

Steve

Yeah, I could see a bit of Tyson Chandler Syndrome in him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake