2013 Summer League

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the Heat roster is for two summer leagues in Orlando and Vegas but still...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about Gordon, probably because he only plays 10 games a year. My mistake.

So... 3 guys, out of the last 4 summer leagues of statistical leaders, went on to become regular starters... and much of the rest cant even crack a rotation and several are not in the league. When it projects NBA success at a less than 25% rate... I dont view it as a strong indicator.

I guess this will just have to be a difference of opinion. Maybe by corn/poop analogy was too harsh. I will instead give it the benefit of a wet fart.

You are so full of **** seriously.

You pulled those names in your previous post out of your behind as well considering you list some 2009 scoring champs but then forget to mention than the 2009 summer league MVP was Blake Griffin.

Then you mixed in a bunch of players who were 2nd or 3rd year players having success in the summer league.

NBA summer league MVPS

2004 Dwight Howard
2005 Deron Williams
2006 top performers Louis Williams, Brandon Roy..
2007 Nate Robinson
2008 Jerryd Bayless (Randolph, Greene, Love)
2009 Blake Griffin
2010 John Wall (#2 Cousins)
2011 no summer league
2012 Lillard and Selby

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are so full of **** seriously.

You pulled those names in your previous post out of your behind as well considering you list some 2009 scoring champs but then forget to mention than the 2009 summer league MVP was Blake Griffin.

Then you mixed in a bunch of players who were 2nd or 3rd year players having success in the summer league.

NBA summer league MVPS

2004 Dwight Howard
2005 Deron Williams
2006 top performers Louis Williams, Brandon Roy..
2007 Nate Robinson
2008 Jerryd Bayless (Randolph, Greene, Love)
2009 Blake Griffin
2010 John Wall (#2 Cousins)
2011 no summer league
2012 Lillard and Selby

Lol, I didnt realize it was restricted purely to MVPs, my mistake. I just chose the guys who were statistical monsters.

But hey, I will defer to you, I am sure the few hours of summer league play before you judged that this entire draft class was no longer "weak" is a fair assumption based on the previous track record of a mere 60-75% of summer league statistical leaders going on to have lack luster careers.

The NBA summer league... a strong outlier for future success. HA!

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Like the Developmental League the Summer League can't predict success, but it definitely can predict failure. If you struggle in those leagues you'll struggle in the NBA for sure.

Yet another reason why Marshall's stint down there was so depressing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Like the Developmental League the Summer League can't predict success, but it definitely can predict failure. If you struggle in those leagues you'll struggle in the NBA for sure.

Yeah, I think there are some people on this board who don't understand what a correlation is. If (Good Summer League) -> (Maybe Good NBA) and (Bad Summer League) -> (Bad NBA), that's a correlation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yet another reason why Marshall's stint down there was so depressing.

I think this is best assessment of Summer League I have seen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns release a partial list of their Summer League roster.

In an Azcentral article dated 7-8-13, they list the following:

The Phoenix Suns 12-man 2013 NBA Summer League roster is highlighted by the Suns first-round pick Archie Goodwin, second-round pick Alex Oriakhi as well as current Suns players Diante Garrett, Kendall Marshall, Marcus and Markieff Morris, and P.J. Tucker.

I'm curious who else will be on there. I'd think they would have given Tucker a pass.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-nba-summer-league-roster.html?nclick_check=1

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, I think there are some people on this board who don't understand what a correlation is. If (Good Summer League) -> (Maybe Good NBA) and (Bad Summer League) -> (Bad NBA), that's a correlation.

That I am fine with, I agree, if a guy cant hack it playing in the "rigors" if the summer league (which ranks somewhere between an AAU game and a NBA preseason practice), then its probably a bad sign for his pro potential.

However, to state the idea that this draft class is not weak because of one day of summer league numbers (playing against members of the same "weak" class) is comical.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They probably just need filler so they added Tucker. He, sadly, has the most proven NBA game out of that list of suns players.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Suns release a partial list of their Summer League roster.

In an Azcentral article dated 7-8-13, they list the following:

I'm curious who else will be on there. I'd think they would have given Tucker a pass.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...-nba-summer-league-roster.html?nclick_check=1

Probably want him to learn to shoot the corner 3 with more consistency... and without putting his heel out of bounds, which Tucker did about 50 times last year. With his defense and nose for the ball, if he could become even a half-decent three point threat he could have a long career despite his late start.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably want him to learn to shoot the corner 3 with more consistency... and without putting his heel out of bounds, which Tucker did about 50 times last year. With his defense and nose for the ball, if he could become even a half-decent three point threat he could have a long career despite his late start.

This is what I thought immediately after I posted it. :)

The following appears to be the Suns complete Vegas League roster according to Dave King in a Bright Side of The Sun article dated 7-8-13.

20 Thomas Abercrombie F 6-6 207 07/05/87 Washington State/New
Zealand R
2 Chris Babb G 6-5 225 02/14/90 Iowa State/USA R
22 Dionte Christmas G 6-5 205 09/15/86 Temple/USA R
25 Jake Cohen F 6-10 235 09/25/90 Davidson/USA R
10 Diante Garrett G 6-4 175 11/03/88 Iowa State/USA 1
29 Archie Goodwin G 6-5 198 08/17/94 Kentucky/USA R
12 Kendall Marshall G 6-4 200 08/19/91 North Carolina/USA 1
15 Marcus Morris F 6-9 235 09/02/89 Kansas/USA 2
11 Markieff Morris C 6-10 245 09/02/89 Kansas/USA 2
41 Arinze Onuaku C 6-9 276 07/13/87 Syracuse/USA R
45 Alex Oriakhi F 6-9 255 06/21/90 Missouri/USA R
17 PJ Tucker F 6-6 235 05/05/85 Texas/USA 1

When Dionte Christmas came out of college I was very high on him.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2...summer-league-roster-goodwin-oriakhi-and-five

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am a little surprised that the Morri are on the team.

Oriakhi
Morris
Morris
Goodwin
Marshall

should be the starters but I am afraid it will be

Morris
Morris
Tucker
Garrett
Marshall

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do agree that the Summer League is generally a good indicator of who isn't NBA material. However, this particular summer league roster may very well not contain any quality NBA-level players, so it should come as no surprise if no one stands out. The Morris twins have both been disappointing in two seasons, Marshall hasn't done much to impress in his rookie campaign, Tucker is a great hustle guy but not much more, and Goodwin, despite all his potential, is still an unproven late first-round pick in a weak draft. So I don't know how meaningful their performances can be, one way or another. Now if Len played, that would be far more telling.

I'd think they would have given Tucker a pass.
Tucker isn't young, but he has appeared in fewer NBA games than Markieff Morris. He is certainly not an established NBA player by any means.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little surprised that the Morri are on the team.

Likewise. The Suns have a team option on both after this coming season. ;)

Half sarcasm, half truth.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So basically 1/2 our roster is in the rookie league. 7 players or draft picks besides Len, which would be 8 if not for injury. Of course probably two of them are toast, perhaps more, but still.

So if the rookie league comprises half of our roster and we suck in the summer league.....

Not saying we will, but man it would suck if so many of our actual players can't beat out summer league scrubs from other teams.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty sure Tucker wanted to go.

Yeah he hasn't made it yet. He's playing for peanuts right now and needs to have another solid year to get a nice contract. Also it's a good opportunity to get some exposure with the new coach.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How bad is it when half of your actual roster (and maybe a starter) is playing in the summer league.

My god... We suck.

Sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk II

OP
OP
T

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns are stacking the roster so that they can say they won a (summer league) championship in 2013. Eyes on the prize.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I feel embarrassed for the Morris twins.

Joe

Really why? THEY should be embarrassed that they have to do ANOTHER summer league. Although to be fair, it's only their second, since when they were rookies there was no summer league.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
How bad is it when half of your actual roster (and maybe a starter) is playing in the summer league.

It's called rebuilding. I've seen a lot of teams send half their actual roster to the Summer League before. It's not a big deal.

Also, Coro said that Tucker might only play one or two games. He's there to get a leg up on learning the new system and get familiar with Horny.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel embarrassed for the Morris twins.

Joe

Not sure why. Its an opportunity to prove themselves, and that hasn't happened yet, especially for Marcus.

This summer league is important for the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake