2014 Draft morphing

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
'Sorry, you did say 'part ways' with Tucker and I quoted it as 'get rid of'.

But, either way, we'd lose the heart of our Wing/Power Forward defense against, most of the time, the opponent's top scorer. And our court and clubhouse leader.

Lose Fry--I'm all for it. Lose Bledsoe--the Suns have no control over that.

Lose Tucker--that is a step backwards.

That's not the problem. The problem is you took "I have no problem with" and turned that into "I want to". There's a big difference between "I'm not going to throw a tantrum" and "this is my dream" which in context comes much closer to what I was saying in those posts. I would have thought that would be obvious with Bledsoe's name right next to Tucker's.

Where we really disagree is on Frye or at least Frye in the abstract. I believe we need a stretch four out there to make up for some of what we lose from our power three and to keep the paint clear for our two penetrating guards. I think all the pieces fit together and that changing any of those first four spots greatly impacts each of the others. If you let Bledsoe go, you can return to a more traditional offense and you don't need that stretch four as much. But if you have a big guy in there scoring, defending and rebounding then you're going to have a greater need for a wing player that can do the things a typical wing can do (and Tucker can't) and PJ's ability to board and mix it up down low becomes a luxury we probably can't afford.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
'Sorry, you did say 'part ways' with Tucker and I quoted it as 'get rid of'.

But, either way, we'd lose the heart of our Wing/Power Forward defense against, most of the time, the opponent's top scorer. And our court and clubhouse leader.

Lose Fry--I'm all for it. Lose Bledsoe--the Suns have no control over that.

Lose Tucker--that is a step backwards.

I am with you on this BC. In my opinion, there is a place for Tucker on any team, no matter what style they play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is something I found. The Rockets center Greg Smith has cleared waivers. He is only 23. Could the Suns waive or buyout a player to make room for him the final two games with a team option for next season.

I can't remember much about him much but his stats look solid.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithgr02.html

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
In related news, I wonder whether Larry Sanders is worth pursuing this summer. He is owed $44 million over the next four seasons, so the Suns would have to be completely sold on him, and the Bucks (who are apparently ready to dump him) would have to include some serious sweeteners. But if Sanders can return to his 2012-13 form (10/10/3blk in 27 mpg), he'd be just what the Suns need, and while the price tag is high, he's probably better than any big man available in free agency. He turns 26 in November.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In related news, I wonder whether Larry Sanders is worth pursuing this summer. He is owed $44 million over the next four seasons, so the Suns would have to be completely sold on him, and the Bucks (who are apparently ready to dump him) would have to include some serious sweeteners. But if Sanders can return to his 2012-13 form (10/10/3blk in 27 mpg), he'd be just what the Suns need, and while the price tag is high, he's probably better than any big man available in free agency. He turns 26 in November.

He's incredibly talented but I don't think he's worth the risk. I doubt he has any intention of leaving marijuana behind given his comments. Also, I'd always be leery of an expensive player whose play dips significantly once they get their money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

However, he has some question marks. His talent does intrigue me. I would love for the Suns to obtain a solid PF without using first round picks and then draft BPA with their picks.

See link below.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/10/bucks-...learance-to-serve-five-game-suspension-early/

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'd probably add Josh McRoberts to Jordan Hill and Luol Deng as unrestricted FA's list. I'd love to add Larry Sanders, via Trade - assuming off court issues can be under control. Al Horford or Paul Millsap may be the only other young options made available in Trade??

I was hoping Suns showed interest in Jon Leuer on cheap contract few years back; so hopefully they'd consider Chris Singleton on similar deal (another unrestricted FA) but the players mentioned above are probably a good notch above him.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
There are no free agents that we are going to be able to sign that IMO make us any better than what we have on the roster, trade some of this years draft picks to move up and trade for future picks and resign our current players, we have a lot of young talent and continuity will go a long ways to being better next year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There are no free agents that we are going to be able to sign that IMO make us any better than what we have on the roster, trade some of this years draft picks to move up and trade for future picks and resign our current players, we have a lot of young talent and continuity will go a long ways to being better next year.
Another season of Channing Frye as our starting Power Forward and backup Center will not make us better next year. And certainly not down the stretch and in the playoffs, when the refs don't reward his soft play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another season of Channing Frye as our starting Power Forward and backup Center will not make us better next year. And certainly not down the stretch and in the playoffs, when the refs don't reward his soft play.

Unless the Suns can include Frye in a trade, he will likely be on the Suns next season barring a buyout. I do not see Frye opting out.

However, hopefully Frye will not be the Suns starting PF although I would not be shocked.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
I remember thinking Greg Smith was a good backup when we played Houston last year... way better rebounder than Frye for instance. Plays within his limits - high FG% and doesn't turn the ball over much making him offensively efficient. I don't specifically remember his defense so it had to be middling or I would recall it. For some reason he dropped out of the rotation at Houston this year so thats a red flag - its not like he was filling in Asik's slot while the latter was pouting. Though they did keep him when they turned Thomas Robinson loose...

I'd love to have the Larry Sanders of 12-13 season but he's in a strange situation - it appears he uses marijuana for medicinal purposes since having an orbital bone fracture in February but I'm pretty sure the league does not allow that - he's been suspended five games for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. Then there is the broken thumb he sustained in a bar fight earlier in the year.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I remember thinking Greg Smith was a good backup when we played Houston last year... way better rebounder than Frye for instance. Plays within his limits - high FG% and doesn't turn the ball over much making him offensively efficient. I don't specifically remember his defense so it had to be middling or I would recall it. For some reason he dropped out of the rotation at Houston this year so thats a red flag - its not like he was filling in Asik's slot while the latter was pouting. Though they did keep him when they turned Thomas Robinson loose...

I'd love to have the Larry Sanders of 12-13 season but he's in a strange situation - it appears he uses marijuana for medicinal purposes since having an orbital bone fracture in February but I'm pretty sure the league does not allow that - he's been suspended five games for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. Then there is the broken thumb he sustained in a bar fight earlier in the year.

The league does not allow that but his marijuana use predates the February injury. You don't even get suspended until your third violation and the only reason he wasn't suspended much earlier is because they don't want it to run concurrent with his injury. But I worry more about his other offseason incident and the drop in his play once he received his big contract. He's only going to have to sit out 5 games next season so that's no big deal but I'd do my due diligence and then I'd probably do it a couple more times before I traded assets for him.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The league does not allow that but his marijuana use predates the February injury. You don't even get suspended until your third violation and the only reason he wasn't suspended much earlier is because they don't want it to run concurrent with his injury. But I worry more about his other offseason incident and the drop in his play once he received his big contract. He's only going to have to sit out 5 games next season so that's no big deal but I'd do my due diligence and then I'd probably do it a couple more times before I traded assets for him.

Actually the league is letting him serve his 5 game suspension now since he's been medically approved to play.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually the league is letting him serve his 5 game suspension now since he's been medically approved to play.

I think it's pretty clear what happened there. Less than a week ago he was still considered medically unavailable and now all of a sudden he's been cleared. I think he's been ready to play for quite awhile and they were just keeping him out to cement the tank job. Once the suspension news came out they rushed through the process of getting him approved by the Team Doctor and then submitted it for league review. Which most likely means they've been over-the-top tanking for some time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a real shocker Aaron Gordon has declared for the draft. I thought it was amusing that he was saying he hadn't decided since his parents were interviewing agents the day after they lost to Wisconsin.

I guess the new in vogue thing is to pretend you're not sure if you're coming out or not, at least with this years class it seems popular.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In a real shocker Aaron Gordon has declared for the draft. I thought it was amusing that he was saying he hadn't decided since his parents were interviewing agents the day after they lost to Wisconsin.

I guess the new in vogue thing is to pretend you're not sure if you're coming out or not, at least with this years class it seems popular.

Yeah everyone wants to be a drama queen these days. Easy decision though. After his showing in the tourney he'll be a lottery pick

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah everyone wants to be a drama queen these days. Easy decision though. After his showing in the tourney he'll be a lottery pick

AG wasn't nearly as bad as Jabari Parker who just declared for the draft. When he picked Duke he said he didn't think the system at UK was right for him because he planned on being in college 2 or 3 years possibly. AS recently as 2 days ago "insiders" were saying he's either staying at Duke or taking a Mormon Mission, and then he declares today and from what I understand they've already lined up an agent.

Very good player can't fault him but I think the kids true calling is in the media he is INCREDIBLY media savvy. Still can't believe he appears in an endorsement on the Skull Candy website in plain sight, wonder how long before he's got a national commercial for them.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Suns need to somehow grab a Top 3 pick in the the Lottery. Then, not only do they get one of the top players coming out, they also get Minnesota's pick which would then be #14 instead of 13 and not getting their pick this year. LOL.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns need to somehow grab a Top 3 pick in the the Lottery. Then, not only do they get one of the top players coming out, they also get Minnesota's pick which would then be #14 instead of 13 and not getting their pick this year. LOL.

if that somehow happened, it would make this season probably one of the best Suns years of all time. incredibly surprising/entertaining AND being able to get a likely bona-fide superstar? That's about as a good as it gets, especially without the crushing heartbreak of another WCF loss.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Yeah, that would change everything.
You must be registered for see images

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If this were to happen, I'd be temped to hit the gas on the accelerator for this team and see if we could flip both of those picks and whatever cap filler we needed to add to Minnesota for Love.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this were to happen, I'd be temped to hit the gas on the accelerator for this team and see if we could flip both of those picks and whatever cap filler we needed to add to Minnesota for Love.

If this were to happen, I think we could get Love without giving up the top 3 pick. Trade Minny the other 5 picks we have this year and next plus Gerald Green (he has alot of value right now), Frye, and one of Archie, Plumlee, or Len.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were to happen, I think we could get Love without giving up the top 3 pick. Trade Minny the other 5 picks we have this year and next plus Gerald Green (he has alot of value right now), Frye, and one of Archie, Plumlee, or Len.

No way that happens. They'll hold out for a better deal if that's the case.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Even though the odds are so long, I found it interesting that if we somehow get a top 3 pick, not only would we get one of the prime prospects, it would also move Minnesota's pick from number 13 to number 14--and since it's only top-13 protected, we would get their pick.

Won't happen, but that would be pretty crazy. The basketball gods would never be that good to the Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake