2014 Draft morphing

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Actually, no, I am not kidding. He is playing at NCAA division 1 level, he has improved significantly every years he has played, he is scoring 13 a game, he is rebounding at a great rate for a college player and he is blocking shots at a phenomenal rate for a player at any level. To put it in perspective, compared to Alex Len, he is a better scorer, rebounder, shot-blocker (by far), and is taller.

Honestly, I am not a big fan of his in particular, but I am puzzled about why he doesn't really seem to be on anyone's radar.

You are aware that Bachynski is 24 years old right? If Len was still in college four years from now he'd average 25/15 and I don't even think much of him. Bachynski has zero upside, he's just simply not an NBA player.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know that this is a terrible comparison to make, but a lot of people said the same thing about Harden.

If Eddie House was 6-5 (like Harden) instead of 6-1, he might have been a more effective pro like Harden. Jahii is a 3 inch shorter version of Eddie House, while Harden is 4 inches taller than House.

Yes, that makes Harden 7 inches taller than Jahii Carson. To me, Jahii's ceiling is Nate Robinson.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are aware that Bachynski is 24 years old right? If Len was still in college four years from now he'd average 25/15 and I don't even think much of him. Bachynski has zero upside, he's just simply not an NBA player.

So you are saying that because he is 24, his 4.6 blocks a game don't matter? I am not trying to challenge, just clarify. I am wondering if way too much is made of youth in NBA scouting right now. with Bachyinski, he took two years off for a mission, so its not like he was playing organized ball during that time. Yes, he is older, but we are at the beginning of a career not the end, so I am not sure that matters. There actually could be benefit since his body did not suffer wear and tear during some important years in the maturing process.

If he could produce in the NBA exactly what he is producing now at ASU, he would have a long NBA career. And big players do improve between 25 and 27.

Again, I am only talking about a second round pick and back up type of role.

Last edited:

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miles Plumlee is older too. He turned out pretty well. Age is not the deciding factor by any means.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anybody catch any of the games so far? The center from ASU had his moments last night. You can't teach 7'2 but he was terrible with his box outs. Also Duke lost...and Parker had a terrible game. I wonder if that will drop his draft stock..or maybe he will now go back for another year

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody catch any of the games so far? The center from ASU had his moments last night. You can't teach 7'2 but he was terrible with his box outs. Also Duke lost...and Parker had a terrible game. I wonder if that will drop his draft stock..or maybe he will now go back for another year

I caught a good chunk of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if Jordan Bachynski moved ahead of Jahii Carson in the draft. IMO, both are no better than second round candidates. I believe Jordan Bachynski can be a career backup center in the NBA.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Carson reminds me of Isaiah Thomas.

I'd pick him with the Indiana pick.

I think he would fit our team. I think his ceiling is Ty Lawson/Isaiah Thomas.

Not too worried about his size Thomas, Lawson are small as well.. Chris Paul is only like 5'11 - 6' too...

Jahii Carson is not Nate Robinson, Jahii is 5'11, Nate 5'9. However I would be happy to get a player as good as Nate Robinson at the end of the first round. I mean realistically I guess you could be happy if a mid first round pick turned out as good as Nate Robinson.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think those are the best 3 prospects right now as well. Draft.net's most recent mock has guys like James Young and Aaron Gordon being available around our picks and I think both those guys would be a nice fit in this system.

Hypothetically speaking if the Suns had the #3 pick I would not be upset if they picked Noah Vonleh at #3 unless Wiggins was available.

Parker is good but not great. Embiid scares me having a bunch of injuries this season already but oh my god does this kid have upside. I can't remember when I saw a freshman center like that who has a good strong body and shows skilled offensive moves.

Vonleh would be perfect for us, very good size for a PF, good shooting touch and best rebounder in college. He is the best fit in the draft for us.

I'd take a chance on Gordon if he was available or if we could move up without much cost for him but he scares me and intrigues me at the same time. Not sure if he will be a 3 or 4 but at least he is a better athlete than Beasley or Derrick Williams.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference between Gordon and some other "tweeners" is that Gordon is a fierce defender. He is a smothering presence both in man and help situations, he might be the best defender in college basketball right now.

However, he is really really raw offensively. Its weird because he seems to have a high offensive IQ (makes the extra pass, moves to the right areas), but he has absolutely no touch. One of the worst FT shooter's I've ever seen, but the entire team seems to have the yips from the line so maybe he will improve next year, but its hard to picture him becoming even an average shooter unless some serious work is done to his shooting motion.

But I'd absolutely take him in the mid-teens. Has a level of athleticism combined with a non-stop motor that is really rare. I dont think he will be an offensive star but he should develop into a very useful NBA player.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duke lost? Hadn't heard.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
They lost and they cost me $1 billion dollars as I had them winning it all in the Quicken Loans billion dollar challenge.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The difference between Gordon and some other "tweeners" is that Gordon is a fierce defender. He is a smothering presence both in man and help situations, he might be the best defender in college basketball right now.

However, he is really really raw offensively. Its weird because he seems to have a high offensive IQ (makes the extra pass, moves to the right areas), but he has absolutely no touch. One of the worst FT shooter's I've ever seen, but the entire team seems to have the yips from the line so maybe he will improve next year, but its hard to picture him becoming even an average shooter unless some serious work is done to his shooting motion.

But I'd absolutely take him in the mid-teens. Has a level of athleticism combined with a non-stop motor that is really rare. I dont think he will be an offensive star but he should develop into a very useful NBA player.

I agree with all this and I would add that he's that rare player that can defend almost anyone, anywhere. You can't put him on a quick point guard or a dynamic center for the whole game but he can give you a few seconds of defense on any player and on any spot on the court. There are very few defenders that can do that.

You'd have to be patient with him but he seems to have a great attitude and a great work ethic so I really believe his shooting problems can be solved. I was only half kidding when I said I'd draft him and sit him for a year while he worked with a shooting coach.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wiggins completely disappeared in Kansas' loss to Stanford today. He still may be good someday but he is far away from that now.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Would you trade Lakers pick, Washington pick and Minnesota pick (if we dont get it) to trade up to 5-8 for Vonleh?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Would you trade Lakers pick, Washington pick and Minnesota pick (if we dont get it) to trade up to 5-8 for Vonleh?

No. To give up all that value I'd have to be pretty convinced the guy is a lights out prospect and I am not sold on Vonleh.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Lakers pick is unprotected. No.

Everything I've read about the pick this season states it is protected, top 5 in 2015, top 3 in 2016 and 2017, unprotected 2018. If any season that protection helps the Lakers it's in 2015. I doubt they will be bad for an extended period.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I want Vonleh, that kid is perfect for us.

Even if he doesn't become an allstar I believe that he has a very high floor and will be at least a solid starter.

Looking at the video he looks like top 3 talent if not number 1 although I have not done my research as yet.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to revisit your list slin after today's performance by Wiggins.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

If this scenario includes our own pick, I'd have to think about it. If not, I'd make that trade without a second thought.

Minnesota pick is gone. It will end up being two second round picks at some point, so the way I see it, it would be a Washington pick and the Lakers' pick.

Lakers are not going to be that terrible next year. Even if we got the sixth pick from them next year, I don't think anyone better than Vonleh would be available. I'd like to grab Young or Harris with Washington's pick, but I'd gladly give it up for a solid PF.

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Gordon ( UofA) = Kawhi Leonard. I think his game will translate similiarly to the NBA. I would love to see him on the Suns next year. Leonard is very, very, crazy good.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I really like Vonleh too but don't think he's 6'11, I'm guessing he's closer to 6'9.75 in shoes. I liked Ekpe Udoh in College but he never even measured close to the 6'11-7'0 that was listed. Haven't watched many games but this year but Vonleh is one of favorites though.

Completely missed today's Suns game, but they play well it seems games I miss. Lol I missed Cavs game with Suns big comeback awhile back, today's game, Spurs game that we blew them out, and trying to remember the other comeback Win I missed. Memphis game we lost though and game before Cavs didn't seem exciting judging by comments...

But also the year the Suns went far before losing to lakers in Playoffs, was a tough year for me and they seemed to play better than expected lol I hardly recorded any games that year. Heh

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake