2014 Draft morphing

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And I want Vonleh, that kid is perfect for us.

Even if he doesn't become an allstar I believe that he has a very high floor and will be at least a solid starter.
He's got a good skill set but WOW he's skinny as ****.

I think most of the guards on our roster could all probably embarrass him in the weight room and post him up with ease.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think most of the guards on our roster could all probably embarrass him in the weight room and post him up with ease.

My image of LaMarcus Aldridge coming out of college was of an even skinnier player. Same with McDyess.

He has a great frame so I don't worry too much about his size right now. It's not like you're looking at a guy with Durant's shoulders and hips (that build works fine for Kevin but not for the power forward we want). If you want to see someone that better fits your description of skinny check out Austin from Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as one of our draft targets but he makes Vonleh look like a bodybuilder.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My image of LaMarcus Aldridge coming out of college was of an even skinnier player. Same with McDyess.

He has a great frame so I don't worry too much about his size right now. It's not like you're looking at a guy with Durant's shoulders and hips (that build works fine for Kevin but not for the power forward we want). If you want to see someone that better fits your description of skinny check out Austin from Baylor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as one of our draft targets but he makes Vonleh look like a bodybuilder.
Oh yea I'm definitely sold on Vonleh, I just don't think he will be able to contribute much in his first or 2nd year without adding some legit strength.

Hell, Kieff is a good example of this. Average the first 2 years and then hits the gym after his sophomore season and now he's a 6MOY candidate.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vonleh seems a very low risk pick.

He probably won't be a star but easily can become a reliable, hardworking bigman with excellent rebounding and defense plus some offensive skills ala PJ Brown.

I wouldn't mind packing all of our this year's picks for moving up to get him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Doesn't look skinny to me at all, especially not for a freshman.

You must be registered for see images

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Vonleh seems a very low risk pick.

He probably won't be a star but easily can become a reliable, hardworking bigman with excellent rebounding and defense plus some offensive skills ala PJ Brown.

I wouldn't mind packing all of our this year's picks for moving up to get him.

This year's picks probably won't be enough and I'm not sure I'd do it if we had to include next year's Lakers pick too. If they work him out and they're convinced he'd be one of the better power forwards in the game it would be worth it but if they grade him out as high risk or with no more than a probable average ceiling, I'd pass.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This year's picks probably won't be enough and I'm not sure I'd do it if we had to include next year's Lakers pick too. If they work him out and they're convinced he'd be one of the better power forwards in the game it would be worth it but if they grade him out as high risk or with no more than a probable average ceiling, I'd pass.

If a team were willing to throw up to 4 draft picks at an unproven player, he would need to be considered a soon to be star and probably considered to be among the top three picks in the draft. I'd want him to be a Durant caliber player for that price. The way the draft is shaping up I am not sold on a sure thing except maybe the top couple of picks.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If a team were willing to throw up to 4 draft picks at an unproven player, he would need to be considered a soon to be star and probably considered to be among the top three picks in the draft. I'd want him to be a Durant caliber player for that price. The way the draft is shaping up I am not sold on a sure thing except maybe the top couple of picks.

Assuming we bring most of this roster back I think we need to find a solid power forward at almost any cost. If Vonleh is a safe bet and they think he'll be a top twelve forward in two or three years I'd say it would be worth it even if it included the Lakers pick.

I'm usually in favor of the high risk/high reward choice if you're not drafting near the top but I really don't think we need to shoot for the stars right now. Give me a David Lee or a Serge Ibaka for those four picks and I'd be content. It would be nice to get a Durant caliber player but I just don't think that's likely for us. I don't know if Vonleh is that safe pick or not but I've been impressed by what little I've seen of him.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon probably played himself into the lottery with his performance against Gonzaga. I also really like Hollis Jefferson (shimmy and all) but he'll likely stick around another year

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaron Gordon probably played himself into the lottery with his performance against Gonzaga. I also really like Hollis Jefferson (shimmy and all) but he'll likely stick around another year

I like the Suns drafting a PF although I'm not sure who will be available. Montrezl Harrell seems interesting where the Suns might draft.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like the Suns drafting a PF although I'm not sure who will be available.

That's the problem. The Suns have played themselves out of prime draft position, and packaging picks to trade up is much easier said than done. Big men are at a premium in every draft, which means that if the Suns find themselves drafting for need in the middle of the first round, they are likely to make a mistake.

Unless the Suns move way up in the lottery or find someone to trade a package of picks to, I think their best-case scenario is to sign-and-trade Bledsoe to a team with a solid young big prospect -- not that I know who that would be. Bledsoe and Dragic may complement each other well, but that doesn't change the fact that having them both on the roster leads to a certain amount of redundancy. Meanwhile, the roster is starved for talent at the power positions with no real game plan for how to fill that need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. The Suns have played themselves out of prime draft position, and packaging picks to trade up is much easier said than done. Big men are at a premium in every draft, which means that if the Suns find themselves drafting for need in the middle of the first round, they are likely to make a mistake.

Unless the Suns move way up in the lottery or find someone to trade a package of picks to, I think their best-case scenario is to sign-and-trade Bledsoe to a team with a solid young big prospect -- not that I know who that would be. Bledsoe and Dragic may complement each other well, but that doesn't change the fact that having them both on the roster leads to a certain amount of redundancy. Meanwhile, the roster is starved for talent at the power positions with no real game plan for how to fill that need.

The bottom line is the Suns should have a plan as to how they should address needs so they can go BPA in the draft. They need not be stars. Not to mix sports, but the Cardinals in the NFL have addressed their needs in free agency so they can go BPA in the draft. The Suns could do well to follow this model. This is why I have dwelled on the Suns getting contributing players like Jordon Hill and Spencer Hawes. I'm sure McDonough knows of better players that might be had in free agency. Then in the draft, if a PF falls to the Suns at one of their draft slots, so much the better. I think the Suns will definitely have quality candidates where they draft for PG, SG and SF positions.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I like the Suns drafting a PF although I'm not sure who will be available. Montrezl Harrell seems interesting where the Suns might draft.

I heard he picks up tons of technical fouls, he might be a bit of a headcase.

He is also a poor shooter. Bit undersized apparently but a great athlete.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wiggins completely disappeared in Kansas' loss to Stanford today. He still may be good someday but he is far away from that now.

True but people have to pay attention to the matchups, he was guarded by one of the more underrated players in the country, Josh Huestis. Josh gave Kyle Anderson trouble both times UCLA played Stanford. He held Gordon to 5 points the first time Stanford played Arizona. then Ashley got hurt, Gordon moved from the 3 to the 4, and the next time they played Huestis didn't guard Gordon and he went off for 19 and 15 boards. Huestis has a chance to make the NBA because of his defense, shotblocker, moves his feet, rebounds, I'm surprised he held Wiggins down as well as he did, but I'm not surprised he handled him he's a terrific defender going up against a college freshman.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard he picks up tons of technical fouls, he might be a bit of a headcase.

He is also a poor shooter. Bit undersized apparently but a great athlete.

Do you like any center/PF candidates where the Suns might draft?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We'll see but the people that sit near scouts at UCLA games have been saying for a few weeks now that NBA scouts think both Gordon and Rondae are coming out. Rondae has a similar issue to lots of recent kids, his stock is quite high, and if he goes back to UA he might not play where he wants to play, the 3.

Right now he and Gordon often play together and they both play the 3/4. Ashley wants to play the 3, and Stanley Johnson is likely playing the 3.

If Ashley comes out, and there's still talk he might, then I could see Rondae staying, he'd start for sure and play enough that he can show the NBA his 3 skills.

Rondae is one of my favorite non Bruin players, terrific. If he could shoot he'd be top 3 in the country he's such a good defender, rebounder and passer.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We'll see but the people that sit near scouts at UCLA games have been saying for a few weeks now that NBA scouts think both Gordon and Rondae are coming out. Rondae has a similar issue to lots of recent kids, his stock is quite high, and if he goes back to UA he might not play where he wants to play, the 3.

Right now he and Gordon often play together and they both play the 3/4. Ashley wants to play the 3, and Stanley Johnson is likely playing the 3.

If Ashley comes out, and there's still talk he might, then I could see Rondae staying, he'd start for sure and play enough that he can show the NBA his 3 skills.

Rondae is one of my favorite non Bruin players, terrific. If he could shoot he'd be top 3 in the country he's such a good defender, rebounder and passer.

I think Rondae has just as much long term potential as Gordon too

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Rondae has just as much long term potential as Gordon too

The knock on them both is NBA position. They can both guard, but neither of them has proven they're an NBA 3 and they're both somewhat undersized and don't want to play the 4. Neither one shoots well enough to be a traditional 3, but they defend, rebound, pass etc.

If a team has a faceup 4 maybe they fit at the 3. They both play so hard though. If Ashley played as hard as they do he'd be better than either one of them.

It is interesting there's lots of talk all 3 of them want to come out, I can't see them all going though. I think Nick and Gordon will, it's quite probable Rondae considers it. With Ashley's foot who knows.

Give me Josh Huestis and Rondae and UCLA wins a national title, I like them both that much.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

And I want Vonleh, that kid is perfect for us.

Even if he doesn't become an allstar I believe that he has a very high floor and will be at least a solid starter.

That song is terrible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Unless the Suns move way up in the lottery or find someone to trade a package of picks to, I think their best-case scenario is to sign-and-trade Bledsoe to a team with a solid young big prospect -- not that I know who that would be.

I don't normally write this type of post, but THANK GOD you're not running the Suns.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I agree with him. I would also be willing to bet that he has seen more games this year than you have.

For what little it's worth to you, I agree with Cheesebeef. I would also be willing to bet that I have seen more Suns games this year than either of them and probably more than the two of them combined. Which might actually mean something if all of us that watched them regularly were in agreement but that's not the case. I think you watch most of their games don't you? I watch them and can't understand how any Suns fan could not be in love with Eric's game. You watch them and think he and Goran are a mismatch and that Bledsoe is excess to the cause.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
For what little it's worth to you, I agree with Cheesebeef. I would also be willing to bet that I have seen more Suns games this year than either of them and probably more than the two of them combined. Which might actually mean something if all of us that watched them regularly were in agreement but that's not the case. I think you watch most of their games don't you? I watch them and can't understand how any Suns fan could not be in love with Eric's game. You watch them and think he and Goran are a mismatch and that Bledsoe is excess to the cause.

I've seen all but two games, and I would trade Bledsoe for a good PF in a heartbeat. Bledsoe is certainly an outstanding defender, and a good one on one isolation player. He is not a point guard (bellow average ball handling skills, a little bit too selfish), and he is not a shooting guard (can't shoot, too short). He makes Dragic worse, and I think Dragic makes him worse. They are just too similar to each other, even though Dragic has developed a good long-range shot.

I am just saying that Dragic/Green/Love, for example, is a much better combo than Bledsoe/Dragic/Frye. Substitute Love for LMA or a similar player, or substitute Frye for Morris. And yes, I realize Love and LMA are likely not available, but we are talking hypothetical situations here.

EDIT: Hell, substitute Dragic and Bledsoe even. Bledsoe/Green/Love is still better than Bledsoe/Dragic/Frye.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake