2014 Draft morphing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes get the feeling that the Suns may trade a first round pick or two and get another second round pick or two in return. The Suns have evaluated a ton of second round talent. If Russ Smith can play the PG position under control making the right decisions (he seems to play a street ball style), he can certainly play defense. This is not often said of a 6' guard. He knows how to stay in front of his man on defense and has excellent lateral quickness and good hands. I think the Suns view Smith as a second round pick although I can certainly be wrong.

I'm clueless about what we'll do next Thursday. My guess, if we pick up a second rounder it will be because we traded all of our 1st round picks for a player. I would't be thrilled with (or devastated by) Russ at 27 but I don't think he makes it to 50 so if they're high enough on him to bring him back for a workout, maybe he's their guy?

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm clueless about what we'll do next Thursday. My guess, if we pick up a second rounder it will be because we traded all of our 1st round picks for a player. I would't be thrilled with (or devastated by) Russ at 27 but I don't think he makes it to 50 so if they're high enough on him to bring him back for a workout, maybe he's their guy?

Steve

I don't think Russ Smith will make it to #50 either but, then again, he is not even listed on DraftNet.

In an interesting side note, Philly has 5 second round picks plus their two first round picks. There will probably be some dealing done on draft night.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Russ Smith will make it to #50 either but, then again, he is not even listed on DraftNet.

In an interesting side note, Philly has 5 second round picks plus their two first round picks. There will probably be some dealing done on draft night.

Yeah that's just insane. I can't remember ever seeing anything like that. That kind of thing happens occasionally in the NFL but not the NBA. It will be interesting to see if they use them to improve their 1st round or if they're just going to go for the machine gun approach. Draft 7 guys and you'd expect to find a surprise star in there somewhere.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's just insane. I can't remember ever seeing anything like that. That kind of thing happens occasionally in the NFL but not the NBA. It will be interesting to see if they use them to improve their 1st round or if they're just going to go for the machine gun approach. Draft 7 guys and you'd expect to find a surprise star in there somewhere.

Steve

I must say, I'm getting pumped for the draft and free agency. Looking at all the mock drafts, there should be quality talent available all the way through the second round. I have not seen this before. It is sort of crazy, but in this draft, I can see the Suns evaluating each of their first round pick as a chance to trade down or pick up a future first and a current second round pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a nice article at azcentral written by Ava Wallace dated 6-20-14 about Russ Smith.

Coach Jeff Hornacek said competition brought out the differences between the guards.

"Russ is very active, he plays a lot of the game like it's a playground game, he's got the between the legs (dribble)," Hornacek said, "where Tyler very fundamentally plays it straight, so there's a contrast there, and they both did a nice job."

Experience aside, General Manager Ryan McDonough said on May 30 what he noticed most was Smith's speed and ability to anticipate on defense.

This time around, McDonough said it was Smith's attitude and willingness to play that set him apart.

"Russ has great energy," McDonough said. "Some of these guys, if you ask them to come back, they kind of moan about it, complain, say how tired they are — Russ I feel like could play two more games and do three more workouts tonight and be fine, it's just that kind of well-conditioned athlete coming out of a great program at Louisville.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...-draft-workout-with-suns-another-go/11199719/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think trading the Minny pick for a couple of second rounders might be the best way to go. Maybe 1 early second rounder and one next season and the season after? I don't see them making the playoffs so the picks would revert to second rounders in 2016 I believe. It's a gamble, but I think #27 for Russ Smith is reaching and getting 2-3 2nd round pick's for that Wolves pick now would be better than later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think trading the Minny pick for a couple of second rounders might be the best way to go. Maybe 1 early second rounder and one next season and the season after? I don't see them making the playoffs so the picks would revert to second rounders in 2016 I believe. It's a gamble, but I think #27 for Russ Smith is reaching and getting 2-3 2nd round pick's for that Wolves pick now would be better than later.

The Wolves first round pick is likely to turn into a couple of second round picks anyway as it is protected for the top 12 in 2015-16. Then it turns into 2016 and 2017 second round picks.

If you are suggesting the Suns trade their pick back to them for a couple of second round picks in this draft, like #40 and #44, it is worth the thought.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wolves first round pick is likely to turn into a couple of second round picks anyway as it is protected for the top 12 in 2015-16. Then it turns into 2016 and 2017 second round picks.

If you are suggesting the Suns trade their pick back to them for a couple of second round picks in this draft, like #40 and #44, it is worth the thought.

I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying to get Russ Smith who we seem to like.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith is an intriguing player. He has Allen Iverson speed and skills. He also has Iverson mentality. If I were drafting a starting pg, I wouldn't be interested, but that kid off the bench could wreak havoc. He is an absolute pesky defender on the perimeter and a relentless scorer. If he could learn to pass when other guys are open, he could be really good. He would be a blast to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFZoH_DEuM

Errntknght

Reaction score
Russ Smith is an intriguing player. He has Allen Iverson speed and skills. He also has Iverson mentality. If I were drafting a starting pg, I wouldn't be interested, but that kid off the bench could wreak havoc. He is an absolute pesky defender on the perimeter and a relentless scorer. If he could learn to pass when other guys are open, he could be really good. He would be a blast to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRFZoH_DEuM

Good to have when desperate measures are called for but I'd rather have Goodwin driving to the hoop and Ish Smith running the show - at the end of the year Ish was the best play maker among our three PGs.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Good to have when desperate measures are called for but I'd rather have Goodwin driving to the hoop and Ish Smith running the show - at the end of the year Ish was the best play maker among our three PGs.

Ish is young too. If that guy ever learns to shoot he could be really good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If Bledsoe or Dragic are out any significant time during the season, the Suns will be looking for another PG. IMO, Ish is good for spot duty but not a regular backup PG if needed for steady minutes. This is why the Suns brought in Barbosa last season, to help fill the gap.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except that in addition to being an individual offensive weapon, Russ is also an excellent on ball defender. It would be nice to have a backup point guard that could harass the speedster types that tend to cause us problems.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that in addition to being an individual offensive weapon, Russ is also an excellent on ball defender. It would be nice to have a backup point guard that could harass the speedster types that tend to cause us problems.

Steve

His defense really caught my eye as well. He has the ability to stay in front of his man on defense including lateral quickness.

Errntknght

Reaction score
If Bledsoe or Dragic are out any significant time during the season, the Suns will be looking for another PG. IMO, Ish is good for spot duty but not a regular backup PG if needed for steady minutes. This is why the Suns brought in Barbosa last season, to help fill the gap.

Except Russ Smith is more of a spot duty player than Ish is. Hornacek was reluctant to let Ish play much early on but down the stretch he used him more and he delivered. Russ barely qualifies as a PG... he seems to a shoot first, second and third type.
I watched the video and I agree he stays in front of his man quite well but Isn isn't bad at that either but what happened was that bigger players shot over him and I'd expect the same thing to happen with Russ. I also liked him pressuring the opp guards - maybe if we had him in addition to Bledsoe, Dragic and Ish, Jeff would use that tactic much more than he did last year.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His defense really caught my eye as well. He has the ability to stay in front of his man on defense including lateral quickness.

Yes, I saw this too. And its just quickness and athletic ability. That kind of on-ball defense is very valuable. It makes everyone else's defensive assignment easier. Russ Smith is also a very good passer, when he actually chooses to pass the rock. His problem is that he doesn't do it often enough.

Maybe the light will go on with this kid, that he will make alot more money passing it when appropriate rather than shooting it when its not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except Russ Smith is more of a spot duty player than Ish is. Hornacek was reluctant to let Ish play much early on but down the stretch he used him more and he delivered. Russ barely qualifies as a PG... he seems to a shoot first, second and third type.
I watched the video and I agree he stays in front of his man quite well but Isn isn't bad at that either but what happened was that bigger players shot over him and I'd expect the same thing to happen with Russ. I also liked him pressuring the opp guards - maybe if we had him in addition to Bledsoe, Dragic and Ish, Jeff would use that tactic much more than he did last year.

I think Russ Smith might be a value pick in the second round, that's all. I'm not sold that he is more than a spot duty player but the Suns need someone like him to slow down the Tony Parkers of the world defensively.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isaiah Austin has Marfan syndrome and will not be allowed to play in the NBA. It's a tough break for the kid, he was perhaps a long shot but had some intriguing qualities.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few years ago he had a ton of hype attached coming out of high school, some of those who fall a bit too in love with high school highlight reels felt he was a future superstar. He fell well short of the hype at Baylor but it would have been nice to see how he did in the NBA under some better coaching.

Really terrible for the guy, has probably been dreaming of the day he got drafted for the majority of his life. Hope he left Baylor in good standing and could at least go back and finish his degree.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Isaiah Austin has Marfan syndrome and will not be allowed to play in the NBA. It's a tough break for the kid, he was perhaps a long shot but had some intriguing qualities.

Steve

I can't believe they just diagnosed it. He has the Marfans look, its unbelievable to me that he lived this long without being checked for this condition.

Flo Hyman, died of Marfans.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe they just diagnosed it. He has the Marfans look, its unbelievable to me that he lived this long without being checked for this condition.

Flo Hyman, died of Marfans.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Huh????? What is the Marfans's look?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A few years ago he had a ton of hype attached coming out of high school, some of those who fall a bit too in love with high school highlight reels felt he was a future superstar. He fell well short of the hype at Baylor but it would have been nice to see how he did in the NBA under some better coaching.

Really terrible for the guy, has probably been dreaming of the day he got drafted for the majority of his life. Hope he left Baylor in good standing and could at least go back and finish his degree.

The Baylor HC has already said he'd add him to his staff to continue to work on his degree.

I never felt he had an NBA body but this news is terrible, I also never knew that he was blind in one eye.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake