2014 Draft morphing

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pretty sure eye troubles are another symptom of marfans. It really is surprising that it took this long to diagnose him.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure eye troubles are another symptom of marfans. It really is surprising that it took this long to diagnose him.

That would have nothing to do with Austin. His eye problems stem from being hit in the eye by a baseball. The injury was aggravated when he went to dunk
in a middle school game and the retina became detached. Had nothing to do with Marfans.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Saric signed a new contract in Europe for 3 years that does not allow him to come to the NBA for at least 2 years - idiot.

The most interesting question to me is Embiid now. Bucks owner already came out saying they won't consider Embiid now because of his injury.

How far will he fall if he misses the entire season to recover? At which point should the Suns try to trade up for him thinking that the Suns are unlikely to get any player that contributes as a rookie towards making the playoffs?

Would you trade #14 and Lakers 2015 for #7 or a similar deal if Embiid was there?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saric signed a new contract in Europe for 3 years that does not allow him to come to the NBA for at least 2 years - idiot.

The most interesting question to me is Embiid now. Bucks owner already came out saying they won't consider Embiid now because of his injury.

How far will he fall if he misses the entire season to recover? At which point should the Suns try to trade up for him thinking that the Suns are unlikely to get any player that contributes as a rookie towards making the playoffs?

Would you trade #14 and Lakers 2015 for #7 or a similar deal if Embiid was there?

Likely not unless the Suns and their medical staff were sold on him. The Suns already have a project center in Len.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Well Len is absolute best case maybe a borderline allstar someday.

Embiid if he can stay healthy (huge if of course) can be one of the greatest centers to play. If the Suns doctors think his injury can heal in time without causing too much of a problem in the future we are a team that could afford to wait on him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Len is absolute best case maybe a borderline allstar someday.

Embiid if he can stay healthy (huge if of course) can be one of the greatest centers to play. If the Suns doctors think his injury can heal in time without causing too much of a problem in the future we are a team that could afford to wait on him.

IMO, the Suns would have to be beyond confident to make this trade.

HooverDam

Reaction score
And things could really get interesting if the Lakers can find a way to package Nash with the No. 7 pick in a deal -- likely after July 1 -- that doesn't return any salary (say for a future draft pick or a veteran on a non-guaranteed deal) so they clear between $11 and $12 million in salary for this free-agent summer, giving them over $30 million in cap space to work with. That's enough so that if two of this year's superstar free agents -- LeBron, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, etc. -- each took a little less ($15-16 million each) and wanted to play together and alongside Kobe Bryant, they could form a pretty hellacious *********. It's also plenty of money with which to woo one superstar on a max deal and player in the $10-12 million range, like Luol Deng, or re-sign Pau Gasol. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.SllrMsIf.dpuf

Can one of our capologists explain the "after July 1" part to me? Wouldn't it make more sense for LA to have this all worked out before Free Agency so at midnight they can call Carmelo (or whoever) and make an offer?

Call me sentimental, but I'd love for the Suns to have Nash back for 1 year as a big retirement party. Even if he is extremely limited, its worth taking his $9M a year for the #7 pick I think. The Suns could send back their own pick next year in exchange (which is likely to be fairly low).

If they could make the deal before the draft, having #7 would be hugely helpful in creating a package to move up and maybe nab Embiid. I'm perfectly fine with taking him even if he has to sit a year. I've never been high on Len and Embiid has much more upside. #7, #14 + something else might be enough to move up into the 3-6 range for Embiid, or he may even fall to 7 (very unlikely).

Obviously, the downside to this is you help the Lakers get out of salary cap hell and maybe they sign some stars. That hurts the Lakers pick next year which the Suns own and of course makes the Suns division tougher. On the other hand, this current LA leadership group has been bumbling, perhaps they pull a Sarver-esque move and overpay mediocre guys or above average guys who don't really move the needle and make them contenders again.

EDIT: Damn, just realized I was forgetting the Ted Stipen rule! LA cant give the Suns their pick before the draft. LA would have to be picking for Phoenix, which means the moving up to get Embiid thing wouldn't work.

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Can one of our capologists explain the "after July 1" part to me? Wouldn't it make more sense for LA to have this all worked out before Free Agency so at midnight they can call Carmelo (or whoever) and make an offer?

That is the official start of the new NBA year when teams will have their '14-'15 cap set. The deal will be agreed upon before or during the draft, the team taking Nash will tell the Lakers who to pick.

HooverDam

Reaction score
That is the official start of the new NBA year when teams will have their '14-'15 cap set. The deal will be agreed upon before or during the draft, the team taking Nash will tell the Lakers who to pick.

Yah I realized that after I posted. So packaging the 7+ other assets to move up for Embiid wouldn't work. But the Suns could still get a theoretically better play at 7, and use the 3 picks they currently have on maybe 2 Euro's to stash and one other guy who'd come to Phx or to the D-League.

E: Lots of rumors out their about the Knicks being willing to move Iman Shumpert for a late 1st rounder. If I'm the Suns I'd send them #27 in a second. I don't think Shump is a player the Suns desperately need or anything, but for that bargain price, its worth taking a flyer on him. He's a good defender and can guard 1-3 and can hit the 3. He's on an affordable deal (2.7 this next year, then 3.8 the next on a player option) and can fill the PJ Tucker role well if PJ ends up demanding too much.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve Nash, the gift that keeps on giving. He deserves more than being filler.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rodney Hood had a second workout with the Suns as well as Charlotte. They pick at #9.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh how I wish he retired after his last season in Phoenix. It is such a shame to watch that man reduced to this- a damned filler. :(

I'm thankful for the time he spent with the Suns, but I'm happy with the way he left the team. Netted Archie Goodwin and has hurt the Lakers cap with still owing another 1st.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can live with that!

Andy KatzVerifizierter Account ‏@ESPNAndyKatz

Zach LaVine told me he predicts Phoenix. He worked out twice for the Suns.

Me too. If he's still there when we draft at 50 he'd be a decent gamble. If we take him at 14 I'm going to be sick to my stomach for a few days.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We will be lucky if he lasts to #14. Perfect run and gun athlete for us. Doesn't hurt he can shoot with range and score in transition. Just perfect for us - with huge upside.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't remember a draft where I have followed as closely and have less of a idea what the Suns are going to do.

They really seem to be mum on what's going on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember a draft where I have followed as closely and have less of a idea what the Suns are going to do.

They really seem to be mum on what's going on.

So true.

I just hope the Suns go BPA. Past rumors have had the Suns wanting to trade pick #27 for a future first round pick. I can see the Suns stashing a foreign player with one of their picks.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can live with that!

But then there's this:

@AlexKennedyNBA: NBA draft rumor: Multiple league sources believe that Zach LaVine has a promise from the Minnesota Timberwolves at No. 13.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That would be unfortunate especially if we end up with Hood at 14 who I think is Wesley Johnson with less athleticism.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Lavine has huge bust potential, if this were last year's draft I'd be pushing for him. This year though there is just too much talent to take that kind of risk in the lottery (even the bottom of the lottery). I'm hoping we're taking Payton at 14 and Payne at 18. Or, that we trade up a couple of spots to get McDermott. Or, we swallow the Nash contract for the 7 pick and use it on Randle. There's just so many possibilities that would intrigue me. And a couple that would terrify me. Lavine is in the terror camp.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach Lavine has huge bust potential, if this were last year's draft I'd be pushing for him. This year though there is just too much talent to take that kind of risk in the lottery (even the bottom of the lottery). I'm hoping we're taking Payton at 14 and Payne at 18. Or, that we trade up a couple of spots to get McDermott. Or, we swallow the Nash contract for the 7 pick and use it on Randle. There's just so many possibilities that would intrigue me. And a couple that would terrify me. Lavine is in the terror camp.

Steve

I'd take back Nash for #7 but what would the Suns have to include? It would be so perfect for Nash to finish his career with the Suns. It's hard to envision the Lakers swallowing such a bitter pill after trading so much for him. Maybe the Lakers would do it to get their first round pick back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake