2014 Draft morphing

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lavine is terrible. I don't understand why people are so in love with that kid. Yes, he is a bloody freak of nature, but he is a terrible shooter, and he is LOST if he doesn't have the ball in his hands. Take the ball out of his hands and you will not have to guard him, as he will essentially take himself out of the game.

He's not a terrible shooter he's a shooter that takes terrible shots. His shot looks funny and the spin apparently bothers some teams, but it goes in if he takes good shots.

But yeah guarding him off the ball was not all that tough at all this year.

I think a big part of his early success was due to Alford being new at UCLA and all the talk that UCLA was going to run was being ignored by people that heard Howland say that every year and save his last season never followed through.

People were suprised at how fast UCLA was actually playing and it led to some early in the year wins where they put up huge numbers and a kid like LaVine looked like a lottery pick.

Once people had a scouting report on LaVine(and Bryce Alford) their play fell off dramatically and the real players on the team (anderson, Adams, Powell and Travis Wear) carried the team.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was at two of UCLA's games during the tournament and Lavine looked very good—during layup drills. He was lost during the games.

Kyle Anderson is like a less athletic Boris Diaw. I like his game, but he's nowhere near athletic enough to play SF, and maybe not even PF.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sounds like the Suns have promised TJ Warren.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Suns have promised TJ Warren.

He makes a lot more sense than Rodney Hood and Hood made a lot more sense than Zach Latrine. Okay, I hate childish nicknames but let's face it. If UCLA fans haven't already been calling him that, I'm quite certain NBA fans will soon adopt it. But I apologize in advance for contributing to it. Just don't draft Zach Lavine.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need some reliable rumors, at least with some slightly credible sources. :D

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He makes a lot more sense than Rodney Hood and Hood made a lot more sense than Zach Latrine. Okay, I hate childish nicknames but let's face it. If UCLA fans haven't already been calling him that, I'm quite certain NBA fans will soon adopt it. But I apologize in advance for contributing to it. Just don't draft Zach Lavine.

Steve

Maybe ESPN will call him the worst player in the league like Goran Tragic.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That said TJ Warren is a solid solid pick.. not spectacular but he could be the next Jamal Mashburn.

Warren is far far away from Mashburn's versatility. He is a strange prospect, he reminds me of Shabazz Muhammad, which is not a good thing.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe ESPN will call him the worst player in the league like Goran Tragic.

I didn't realize they did that. I just remember a "who?" kind of reaction but ESPN is many voices, not one, so I'm not shocked that someone there thought poorly of him.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns primary interest in the draft appears to be shooters per a Paul Coro article at azcentral dated 6-26-14. See link below.

With Suns trade possibilities and Kevin Love dreams aside, the pecking order of draft interest starts with the draft's best two shooters. Michigan's Nik Stauskas and Creighton's Doug McDermott are most desired by the Suns, with another sweet-shooting swingman, Duke's Rodney Hood, next in line, ahead of Louisiana-Lafayette point guard Elfrid Payton, North Carolina State small forward T.J. Warren and other shooting guards — UCLA's Zach LaVine, Michigan State's Gary Harris and Kentucky's James Young.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-prime-interest-nba-draft-shooters/11400817/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns primary interest in the draft appears to be shooters per a Paul Coro article at azcentral dated 6-26-14. See link below.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...s-prime-interest-nba-draft-shooters/11400817/

If they want shooters I don't see why they'd have interest in Warren. He's a low percentage shooter from mid-range and beyond. He's much more of a Cedric Ceballos type than he is a shooter. He follows the shot well and is able to score around the rim even in traffic. He's not that sneaky, roam the baseline, kind of guy that Ced was but he's not a pick and pop player either.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they want shooters I don't see why they'd have interest in Warren. He's a low percentage shooter from mid-range and beyond. He's much more of a Cedric Ceballos type than he is a shooter. He follows the shot well and is able to score around the rim even in traffic. He's not that sneaky, roam the baseline, kind of guy that Ced was but he's not a pick and pop player either.

Steve

I didn't pick him out. :)

I think he is more of a scorer than a shooter. He is sort of a player without a position. He lacks lateral quickness and has short arms.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't pick him out. :)

I think he is more of a scorer than a shooter. He is sort of a player without a position. He lacks lateral quickness and has short arms.

I know, I just didn't have access to the reporter.

TJ Warren isn't on my list of players I'm hoping we'll draft. If it comes down to him, Hood or Lavine though he starts looking a little better. And if it comes down to Hood or Lavine, call me a Hood fan. If it comes down to Lavine, I'll start hoping they actually meant almost any of his teammates. Adams and Anderson make far more sense, at least they were impressive at the college level.

Steve

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I am liking the idea of the Suns moving up to draft Randle, I think with the Suns not wanting to assign positions to players, I think you could put Randle on the floor with Kieff, Randle can guard most SF while Kieff stretchs the floor I the more I think about it he is a good fit if we can trade up for him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know, I just didn't have access to the reporter.

TJ Warren isn't on my list of players I'm hoping we'll draft. If it comes down to him, Hood or Lavine though he starts looking a little better. And if it comes down to Hood or Lavine, call me a Hood fan. If it comes down to Lavine, I'll start hoping they actually meant almost any of his teammates. Adams and Anderson make far more sense, at least they were impressive at the college level.

Steve

I was kind of hoping the Suns would draft a shooter with some versatility, a PG and stash or trade one of their first round picks if they must. I still think the Suns need to add a FC to their roster that can bang.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am liking the idea of the Suns moving up to draft Randle, I think with the Suns not wanting to assign positions to players, I think you could put Randle on the floor with Kieff, Randle can guard most SF while Kieff stretchs the floor I the more I think about it he is a good fit if we can trade up for him.

I like the idea of trading up for him too. I think he'd fit well with our guards. He's not going to do much for us defensively but he'll score and rebound and he's a tireless worker. I'm not sure about him and Kieff sharing the court but it's worth a try.

But if we're not planning on keeping Bledsoe I'd try to find a way to trade up for Vonleh instead. I know it sounds farfetched but there are a couple of high teams looking for a veteran that can help right away. I think Vonleh is a little overrated as a player but as a prospect, he's incredible. If the Cavs have interest in Markieff, I'd love to offer the twins and several picks to solve their who should I draft quandary. Then, trade back a few spots and draft Noah. He won't be the best player from this draft next year, that will likely be Randle but in 5 or 6 years he could be the best power forward in the league

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake