2014 Draft morphing

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know very little about Ennis, but the announcers compared him to DJ Augustin and Howard Eisley. I would hope he would have at least that much potential since we picked him at #18.

Stu Jackson compared him to Mark Jackson on NBATV and John Thompson III said it was a great comparison.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Isn't Tony Parker one of the most explosive guards in the league? Rest of the NBA has been trying to stay in front of him for years... If all we need in a point guard is a non-explosive player that cannot shoot, we probably should have stuck with developing Kendall Marshall.
When I speak of explosiveness I am talking about the guy isn't going to dunk over someone in the paint. He is Parker like in that he can get into the paint at will and has a nice pull up jumper. He can knock down 3's so he is a much better prospect than Marshall.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
When I speak of explosiveness I am talking about the guy isn't going to dunk over someone in the paint. He is Parker like in that he can get into the paint at will and has a nice pull up jumper. He can knock down 3's so he is a much better prospect than Marshall.

I think it's important to be honest when evaluating players, but it's also important to not exaggerate comparisons (especially bad ones.)

To get to the rim, you have to have a decent first step. Ennis doesn't have it. Watching him try to drive to the hoop in an isolation is flat-out hilarious. He is not strong and he shies away from contact.

Having said that, he is NOT Kendall Marshall. That comparison is ridiculous. Marshall is a terrible shooter. Ennis may not be a great shooter, but he can hit an open jumper or an open and set three pointer. That's enough for the defense to have to respect him enough to not back away and just dare him to shoot. He can also hit a jumper in a pick and roll situation if the defender goes under. Again, he is no Steve Nash, but he is no more Kandall Marshall than he is Steve Nash.

We don't know how bad his defense is gonna be, considering he played in Syracuse. I am assuming it's not going to be good due to his lack of athleticism and lateral quickness, though his length may mitigate SOME of that.

Problem with Marshall was that outside of passing, he really could not do anything. He couldn't shoot to save his life, and he couldn't guard a chair.

Ennis is simply not an incompetent shooter. He is not a great shooter, but he is good enough that you have to respect his shot. I am not sold on Ennis at all, but I am sold on the fact that he is not Marshall.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
In Mainstreet's defense, I don't think McD's picks from last season did anything to show that he's good at drafting.

It's pretty much assumed that Len is / was a massive project. Probably a 3-4 year project. So it's way too early there.

Most everyone loved the Goodwin pick. And he's show plenty of flashes while also being a pretty big project as well.

I don't see how anyone can judge last years draft yet. Let alone last nights draft.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's pretty much assumed that Len is / was a massive project. Probably a 3-4 year project. So it's way too early there.

Most everyone loved the Goodwin pick. And he's show plenty of flashes while also being a pretty big project as well.

I don't see how anyone can judge last years draft yet. Let alone last nights draft.

Agreed. This is a guy that worked his way up due to his scouting. Given how well he's handled everything since taking over I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an area that is supposed to be his strength. There is really only one player he's drafted that I had a really strong opinion about and that is Goodwin.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
In Mainstreet's defense, I don't think McD's picks from last season did anything to show that he's good at drafting.

After all the drooling about Aaron Goodwin? Huh? You can't just say, McD sucks at drafting and then qualify by saying, "well, except for Goodwin." That's 50% of the draft right there and if you expected an injured big man to contribute in year one, you don't know as much about the NBA as you think you do.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Ennis shot 35% from 3. Shooting 35% from 3 isn't close to being good shooter. It's average or below average.

And like above poster already told you, Ennis isnt quick. He couldn't beat college players off dribble due to his lack of quickness, what makes you think he will do that to NBA players?

Parker is one of the best players in the NBA and a future HOFer. Ennis doesn't have anything that remotely resembles Tony Parker.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's important to be honest when evaluating players, but it's also important to not exaggerate comparisons (especially bad ones.)

To get to the rim, you have to have a decent first step. Ennis doesn't have it. Watching him try to drive to the hoop in an isolation is flat-out hilarious. He is not strong and he shies away from contact.

Having said that, he is NOT Kendall Marshall. That comparison is ridiculous. Marshall is a terrible shooter. Ennis may not be a great shooter, but he can hit an open jumper or an open and set three pointer. That's enough for the defense to have to respect him enough to not back away and just dare him to shoot. He can also hit a jumper in a pick and roll situation if the defender goes under. Again, he is no Steve Nash, but he is no more Kandall Marshall than he is Steve Nash.

We don't know how bad his defense is gonna be, considering he played in Syracuse. I am assuming it's not going to be good due to his lack of athleticism and lateral quickness, though his length may mitigate SOME of that.

Problem with Marshall was that outside of passing, he really could not do anything. He couldn't shoot to save his life, and he couldn't guard a chair.

Ennis is simply not an incompetent shooter. He is not a great shooter, but he is good enough that you have to respect his shot. I am not sold on Ennis at all, but I am sold on the fact that he is not Marshall.

Marshall also had almost twice as many turnovers at Ennis and Ennis protects the ball very well in crunch time. He is more of an athlete than Marshall and seems to have a better overall demeanor.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I saw TJ Warren compared to Paul Pierce a few times, because of his "crafty" offensive game and build. THAT would be nice. Supposedly he has the best tear drop in draft and at 6'8 maybe only guy that size doing that.

I am not sure what to think about the Ennis pick. Something is in the works here - either really good or really bad - as the Suns have been HARD pursuing PGs according to many which makes no sense if its just to replace Ish.

Bogdan looks like a more physical Manu. Well see what happens there.

I just hope McD doesnt outthink himslef in draft. 2nd time there were better consensus players on board and he went other direction.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Marshall was a poor shooter for us but he shot 39.9% on 3's for the Lakers this past season. I'm not sorry we dumped him but he probably has improved his shot enough to stay in the league.

My concern about Ennis is how good he'll be running the break and defending. He doesn't need to have the quick first step for that but if walks the ball up court, he's not of much value.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I saw TJ Warren compared to Paul Pierce a few times, because of his "crafty" offensive game and build. THAT would be nice. Supposedly he has the best tear drop in draft and at 6'8 maybe only guy that size doing that.

Pierce is a much better comparison than Ceballos. In highlights, I see Warren using more positioning, length, and body control than quickness to score.

In other news, Randle reminds me of Antoine Walker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am not sure what to think about the Ennis pick. Something is in the works here - either really good or really bad - as the Suns have been HARD pursuing PGs according to many which makes no sense if its just to replace Ish.

Bogdan looks like a more physical Manu. Well see what happens there.

I just hope McD doesnt outthink himslef in draft. 2nd time there were better consensus players on board and he went other direction.

Hmmm...Pierce. Interesting.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This was interesting from http://www.nba.com/suns/news/suns-take-TJ-warren-14th-pick

Warren should provide some scoring punch at small forward, though it will come in a different look compared to P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green or Marcus Morris. He made 74 percent of his shots in the restricted area.

To put that in perspective, only LeBron James, Al Horford, Kevin Durant and Brandan Wright converted more than 74 percent of his shots in the restricted area this season.

Additionally

Warren anticipates a smooth transition into the Suns' uptempo system after using his combination of speed and power to get the jump on opponents at N.C. State.

"I know their style of play. They like to get up and down, get transition buckets," he said. "They’re going to push the tempo up a little bit. I feel like my style of play really fits that."

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Pierce is a much better comparison than Ceballos. In highlights, I see Warren using more positioning, length, and body control than quickness to score.

In other news, Randle reminds me of Antoine Walker.

Let's not get carried away now. Pierce is a good shooter. Warren's shot might be the ugliest shot I have ever seen with the exception of the old European player Zarko Paspalj.

Going to the rim- I'll buy that comparison, but shooting is a big difference between Warren and Pierce.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Not really.

Both players pretty much went where they were rated before the draft. Givony said Ennis was a steal at #18 actually.

Who was that "consensus" better player on the board? Gary Harris or Rodney Hood? Thank god we did not take one of those.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ennis looks a lot more aggressive than Marshall.

His shooting mechanics also don't look horrible and he hits floaters.

Also he is just 19 years old. When I check his highlights he does not look like Mark Jackson at all. I was trying to think of a PG who plays similiar in the NBA right now and thought maybe Jrue Holiday.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/statuses/482350073310089216

Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Bogdan Bogdanovic absolutely destroyed the Serbian league finals. Had some monster games. Could be a nice draft and stash pick for Phoenix.

Couple of other good quotes

http://www.nba.com/suns/blog/sunsdraft-behind-scenes

Suns draft pick Tyler Ennis: "This is probably gonna be my first year not seeing snow." pic.twitter.com/WifzHdzgVH

— SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) June 27, 2014

No. 14 pick TJ Warren said he promises to keep dunking on everybody. #Suns pic.twitter.com/Tga0wDkJal

— SLAM Magazine (@SLAMonline) June 27, 2014

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's not get carried away now. Pierce is a good shooter. Warren's shot might be the ugliest shot I have ever seen with the exception of the old European player Zarko Paspalj.

Going to the rim- I'll buy that comparison, but shooting is a big difference between Warren and Pierce.

No, I certainly never did nor would make that claim.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is a very good point.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ennis looks a lot more aggressive than Marshall.

His shooting mechanics also don't look horrible and he hits floaters.

Also he is just 19 years old. When I check his highlights he does not look like Mark Jackson at all. I was trying to think of a PG who plays similiar in the NBA right now and thought maybe Jrue Holiday.

Here is a perfect full game to watch that showcases his strengths and weaknesses. With some Hood, Parker, and Jeremi Grant for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I91zsfOWHsc

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Marshall was a poor shooter for us but he shot 39.9% on 3's for the Lakers this past season. I'm not sorry we dumped him but he probably has improved his shot enough to stay in the league.

My concern about Ennis is how good he'll be running the break and defending. He doesn't need to have the quick first step for that but if walks the ball up court, he's not of much value.

He is an incredibly smart player with a desire to defend well. Players with average athleticism (for the nba) who are smart and motivated can often be quite effective defenders, especially within a team concept.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Not really.

Both players pretty much went where they were rated before the draft. Givony said Ennis was a steal at #18 actually.

Who was that "consensus" better player on the board? Gary Harris or Rodney Hood? Thank god we did not take one of those.

When I say consensus its not MY consensus, its the national consensus. And at positions of need too. Laughabale that your opinion would have anymore merit then mine or especially the majority all of whom are actually paid to have these opinions.

I wanted Nerlens Noel over Len last year. Maybe even Ben McLemore. I wanted Gary Harris, Cleanthony Early, and Kyle Anderson this year. Im smart enough to know that Im basing that off of my own eye and McD knows a hell of a lot more than me. But well have to see. Im as big a McD fan as anyone but jury is rightfully out on his ability to draft leading the charge. We will know soon enough.

I am especially baffled on Early. I know the analytics guys dont love him and they hate on his defense but damn did they watch this guy play? He has NBA game IMO. Good athlete, Great shot while defended, and good size. I watched 3-4 of his games. Run back that Kentucky tourney game for any one interested. He was killing it with NBA talent all ove rhim.

guess well see but he looks like a player to me.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Im not saying hes going to be Pierce. Thats his absolutel ceiling obvi. He has good midrange game and his improvement fresh to soph is apparent in that capacity. He took more then most college guys do so his true % was low but if you watched his games can make the jumper from 20 feet and in. He just doesnt have long range distance. You dont shoot the % he did at 6'8 without having some semblance midrange game.

http://valleyofthesuns.com/2014/06/26/nba-draft-suns-live-up-to-promise-tj-warren/

Also Pierce was known for bad mechanics and shot coming out but improved as he grew into his game. well see how it plays out.

Last edited:

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't believe all the Debbie Downers around here.

Was just listening to Tim Legler, was saying that TJ Warren was an absolute steal for the Suns. Said he loves what we are doing in Phoenix and is predicting a big year for us.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake