2014 Draft morphing

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phil Jackson is showin that he isn't just about the hype.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd like us to bring in Bogdnovic this season instead of stashing him overseas. He looks like he's already good enough to stay in the states.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren is a SF who's not overly athletic and not a very good outside shooter? That doesn't even say "low ceiling/high floor" to me. that says he's a guy who might not even contribute in the league.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I like the first 2 picks. You get a big time scorer in Warren who will give you offense off the bench and a true PG in Ennis. Don't get why people are down on Ennis, aside from explosiveness this kid can do it all. I can see him being the next Tony Parker in time, I would have said Steve Nash because of the Canadian ties but Ennis is no where near Steve Nash's shooting ability.

Isn't Tony Parker one of the most explosive guards in the league? Rest of the NBA has been trying to stay in front of him for years... If all we need in a point guard is a non-explosive player that cannot shoot, we probably should have stuck with developing Kendall Marshall.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Warren is a SF who's not overly athletic and not a very good outside shooter? That doesn't even say "low ceiling/high floor" to me. that says he's a guy who might not even contribute in the league.

Had the highest FG% at the rim and among the highest FG% in the paint. Also I believe he had the 2nd highest PER in D1 and the most 20 point games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the highest FG% at the rim and among the highest FG% in the paint. Also I believe he had the 2nd highest PER in D1 and the most 20 point games.

well, here's to hoping that translates to the NBA. I just hope he's not another Alando Tucker. Limited athleticism and poor long range shooters are tough things to overcome at the 3 position in the league.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Warren will find a way to score in the NBA. I would have picked someone else, but he'll be able to score.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren will find a way to score in the NBA. I would have picked someone else, but he'll be able to score.

is he like a Cedric Ceballos? Even though Ced won a dunk contest, I never thought he had elite athleticism, but he had a super knack for scoring around the rim.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
is he like a Cedric Ceballos? Even though Ced won a dunk contest, I never thought he had elite athleticism, but he had a super knack for scoring around the rim.

That is who he is being compared to.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does espn have some sort of contractual obligation to go to commercial every time an Arizona team is on the clock to draft?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

You know, that is an interesting comparison. Not a good shooter, not a great athlete, but took good shots and could score around the rim, while rebounding. Warren is a little bigger/ stronger, I think, but Ceballos was clearly a small forward. Not quite sure if Warren is a SF or an undersized PF just yet. In theory, he should be able to overpower most SFs and outrun any PFs, so that might not be a bad thing.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Alec Brown C Green Bay

http://www.nba.com/draft/2014/prospects/alec_brown?ls=iref:nba:draft:tracker

Cool statistic: Brown tied the Horizon League record for career blocked shots (309).

Reminds me of: Matt Bullard

What Insiders Say

Green Bay coach Brian Wardle

“Alec will be one of the most mature and experienced players at the combine, and I think that will serve him well as he goes through the experience. I’m confident he will do well at the combine and show off his hard work ethic and abilities that will be attractive to NBA teams. Off the court, the priority he has placed on finishing school strong and earning his diploma is an example of his maturity.”

What Outsiders Say

Belmont coach Rick Byrd

“Alec is probably the best 7-foot-plus shooter I’ve ever coached against. He’s a really tough match-up and a guy that alters shots on the defensive end.”

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns draft did not have a great moment. Their first two picks were solid if unspectacular. It was a feeling of waiting for hand me downs.

I don't know why the Suns researched so many players that were second round type players only not to make an effort to go after more. I certainly will not be so attuned to who they are working out for the second round next season. My gut feeling tonight is that McDonough is better at cutting trades than drafting players.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I don't know as much about these players as some seem to but Warren seems like a PJ Tucker with better scoring and I expect Ennis will compete for Ish Smith`s role. Not a spectacular draft but it could be a solid one. Potentially a couple of bench contributors next year.
Keep building and acquiring assets while you wait for that opportunity to make a big move.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The Suns draft did not have a great moment. Their first two picks were solid if unspectacular. It was a feeling of waiting for hand me downs.

I don't know why the Suns researched so many players that were second round type players only not to make an effort to go after more. I certainly will not be so attuned to who they are working out for the second round next season. My gut feeling tonight is that McDonough is better at cutting trades than drafting players.

The Suns had FOUR picks. Did you want more? :shrug:

"My gut feeling tonight is that McDonough is better at cutting trades than drafting players."

The draft ended less than 10 minutes ago and you're already declaring that McDonough isn't good at drafting players? Slow down a bit...

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how to judge the draft.

A scorer. 24.9 PPG in 35.4 minutes.
A floor general. Supposedly didn't have a turnover in the last 5 minutes of any game this season. Clutch.
A skillful European prospect. Can shoot, can pass. 3.7 APG in 30 minutes in Europe is pretty good.
A Center with a conference tying record in blocks yet also a great 3PT shooter. Potential to be a major matchup problem on the perimeter.

I can see the appeal of each player distinctly. Whether or not that translates into anything, we'll see.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

That seems like a really good comparison.

If he turns out like Ceballos it's a solid pick at 14.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns had FOUR picks. Did you want more? :shrug:

"My gut feeling tonight is that McDonough is better at cutting trades than drafting players."

The draft ended less than 10 minutes ago and you're already declaring that McDonough isn't good at drafting players? Slow down a bit...

In Mainstreet's defense, I don't think McD's picks from last season did anything to show that he's good at drafting.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's actually my exact feeling as well. I liked Goodwin from last year and this year...bleh.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well, here's to hoping that translates to the NBA. I just hope he's not another Alando Tucker. Limited athleticism and poor long range shooters are tough things to overcome at the 3 position in the league.

Alando Tucker spent 5 years in college. He was not nearly as prolific, a team leader, or as efficient as TJ. There is just no comparison. I predict that Warren will be the starting sf on opening day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake