2014 Draft morphing

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
If we end up with

I would like to draft Gordon at #14 and Young at #17

Thats the exact draft combo I would love to see, I would package 14 and 26 to move up 2-4 spots to make sure we get Gordon and take Young at #17, we don't have room for 3 draft picks anyways, I would even add to that package if need be to move up.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at draftexpress some things are standing out.

1. Jahii Carson could have gone late first/early second last year. He will go late second this year, if at all.
2. Alex Poythress was a first rounder last year, and might go undrafted this year.
3. Shabazz Napier is listed 55th. Seniors get no respect, even with a NC.
4. The projections for Stauskas and McDermott show how valuable shooting still is in the NBA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And a Coach in the NCAA Championship game that may end up coaching against the Suns roster. According to Rex Chapman, Calipari to the Lakers is a done deal. It makes me laugh for some reason. Maybe he can draft Kerry Kittles again instead of Kobe Bryant.

One of the LA rumors is Kevin Ollie to the Lakers, he's a Crenshaw kid but I doubt it.

Cal to the Lakers would be interesting. UK would go after Sean Miller, if they get him does UA then go after Archie?

But I'm not expecting the Lakers to hire him I think Cal will want autonomy and the Lakers won't give it to him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boy, that's weird. Big-name college coaches who have been at it for generations almost always fail in the NBA. There are exceptions, but they're rare. I do think D'Antoni is gone, however.

Not any inside info but based on past history with Calipari, if he looks seriously at the lakers job, expect Kentucky to go on probation. he's done it twice before so if he leaves again it could be he knows something is coming down the pipeline with the NCAA.

He may also just be sick of the recruiting, the system he runs they have to rebuild each season so he has to sell his soul to a bunch of 17 year olds with posses and agents and stuff every year. Even for someone like Calipari that has to be soul sucking after awhile.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just curious. If we were willing to trade Bledsoe, would he net a top 5 pick in this draft? Maybe if we added a later pick?

I like Bledsoe and would like to keep him, I am just interested in his trade value.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just curious. If we were willing to trade Bledsoe, would he net a top 5 pick in this draft? Maybe if we added a later pick?

I like Bledsoe and would like to keep him, I am just interested in his trade value.

I'd guess that it's not that high. Remember how cheaply the Suns got him less than a year ago. What he has shown this season has been intriguing, but wouldn't be appealing enough for a rebuilding team (which is what anyone drafting top-5 will be) to make that kind of gamble.

I haven't thought much about who would want Bledsoe. Most teams either already have a similar player or aren't in the right part of their growth curve for him to be a good fit. Almost every team in the league has either a prototypical PG or a prototypical SG, if not both, so if you want to make Bledsoe a starter, it has to be a particular fit with whoever the incumbent is that you'd be keeping.

Edit: Maybe the Mavericks?

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score

I would not have thought this was possible, but last year the Sixers managed to trade Jrue Holiday and a second rounder for Nerlens Noel and a top 5 protected pick. But if I were a NBA GM, there is no way that I would give up a top 5 pick in this year's draft for Bledsoe and later picks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I would not have thought this was possible, but last year the Sixers managed to trade Jrue Holiday and a second rounder for Nerlens Noel and a top 5 protected pick.

True, but that was most likely part of a tanking strategy -- in other words, they also "received" a higher pick this coming summer as part of the deal.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of you guys SEVERELY underestimate Bledsoe's worth in the eyes of the league and how much potential the kid still has. I bet we could easily nab a top 5 pick for him, but I wouldn't do it for any of these kids.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't be surprised if the Lakers make a major run at Bledsoe.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would not have thought this was possible, but last year the Sixers managed to trade Jrue Holiday and a second rounder for Nerlens Noel and a top 5 protected pick. But if I were a NBA GM, there is no way that I would give up a top 5 pick in this year's draft for Bledsoe and later picks.

I would have said the same thing nine months ago but now I just don't see it. Who in this draft would you consider more valuable than Bledsoe, let along Bledsoe and multiple picks? The sure things in this draft don't seem all that sure any more. This draft still appears to be deep although the superstar pool looks empty right now. I'm not even sure I'd trade the 14th, 17th and 26th picks for the 1st pick in this draft and 9 months ago I didn't think that would move a team from the 6th pick to the 3rd pick.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think most of you guys SEVERELY underestimate Bledsoe's worth in the eyes of the league and how much potential the kid still has. I bet we could easily nab a top 5 pick for him, but I wouldn't do it for any of these kids.

I wouldn't either, probably. I say probably because if I were sure that Randle's game would translate to the pros I might change my mind. Our need at that spot is so great that I'd be willing to make a deal that I still think would be a trade down even if Randle shows well. The Lakers have long been rumored to aggressively pursue Eric and if there are long term concerns about his knee we might be best served to do a sign and trade.

Randle is probably never going to be a great defender but he should be at least adequate against the bruisers. It will only take the pros about a minute to realize the kid has no left hand so he'd have to start developing it. But he has a strong frame, good footwork, excellent body control and he's deceptively quick so summer camp with Hakeem might work wonders on him. It didn't do Gortat much good but Julius has excellent hands and a soft touch unlike Marcin's boxers hands. Add a defensive minded point guard and maybe a stash-able big man and we could still have a dangerous team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't either, probably. I say probably because if I were sure that Randle's game would translate to the pros I might change my mind. Our need at that spot is so great that I'd be willing to make a deal that I still think would be a trade down even if Randle shows well. The Lakers have long been rumored to aggressively pursue Eric and if there are long term concerns about his knee we might be best served to do a sign and trade.

Randle is probably never going to be a great defender but he should be at least adequate against the bruisers. It will only take the pros about a minute to realize the kid has no left hand so he'd have to start developing it. But he has a strong frame, good footwork, excellent body control and he's deceptively quick so summer camp with Hakeem might work wonders on him. It didn't do Gortat much good but Julius has excellent hands and a soft touch unlike Marcin's boxers hands. Add a defensive minded point guard and maybe a stash-able big man and we could still have a dangerous team.

No right hand, he's all left. I still think he's Beasley with out the drugs and off court issues. Dominant college player(not as good as Beasley was) but will he be tall enough to do that at the next level is anybodys guess. He has to develop a shot outside of the paint and work on his defense.

All of the players in this draft have flaws of course not just him. if the medical on Embiid comes back well I think he could easily go #1 overall.

As a UCLA fan my measure of how iffy this draft is would be that people still insist Zach LaVine might go late lottery but more likely high teens to early 20's. He couldn't start at UCLA but he's a late lottery pick?

It's all about potential though.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have said the same thing nine months ago but now I just don't see it. Who in this draft would you consider more valuable than Bledsoe, let along Bledsoe and multiple picks? The sure things in this draft don't seem all that sure any more. This draft still appears to be deep although the superstar pool looks empty right now. I'm not even sure I'd trade the 14th, 17th and 26th picks for the 1st pick in this draft and 9 months ago I didn't think that would move a team from the 6th pick to the 3rd pick.

I would do that. And I would probably draft Embiid and make him a pf.

Funny thing about this draft is that there are three tiers, the top 3 or so, then 4-7, after that anyone could go anywhere, even into the second round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bledsoe is worth a top 5 pick straight up. There are so many busts every draft. One only has to look at last year's draft or even the year prior. In 2012 only Anthony Davis stands out in the top 5 picks.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No right hand, he's all left. I still think he's Beasley with out the drugs and off court issues. Dominant college player(not as good as Beasley was) but will he be tall enough to do that at the next level is anybodys guess. He has to develop a shot outside of the paint and work on his defense.

All of the players in this draft have flaws of course not just him. if the medical on Embiid comes back well I think he could easily go #1 overall.

As a UCLA fan my measure of how iffy this draft is would be that people still insist Zach LaVine might go late lottery but more likely high teens to early 20's. He couldn't start at UCLA but he's a late lottery pick?

It's all about potential though.

You're right, I meant all left. I'd agree they all have flaws and I wasn't pushing him as the best in the class, merely the only one I might choose over Bledsoe given the right circumstances.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Funny thing about this draft is that there are three tiers, the top 3 or so, then 4-7, after that anyone could go anywhere, even into the second round.

My point though is that they aren't the sure things we once thought they'd be. I believe you could take our three picks and have a better chance of finding a star in this draft than you would if you held the fourth pick and that was not thought to be the case before the season started. It's deep but those tiers aren't as solid as they once were. By the time the draft rolls around someone like Kaminsky might sneak into the top 5 and someone like Randle might drop several notches. Wiggins is safely in that top 3, probably Parker too but beyond that it's anyone's guess IMO.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys really think there is a team out there that would be willing to give up a top-five draft pick for the opportunity to pay Bledsoe a maximum contract and pray that he stays healthy? If I'm the Phoenix Suns I would be busting open champagne bottles if that happened. Hell, right now I'm wondering at what price we just let him walk and spend the money elsewhere. And please don't call me a hater. I really like Bledsoe. I just know that one of the best ways to screw your team's future is to tie up a bunch of money on someone who can't stay healthy, especially when you already have a star player at that position.

Joe

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys really think there is a team out there that would be willing to give up a top-five draft pick for the opportunity to pay Bledsoe a maximum contract and pray that he stays healthy? If I'm the Phoenix Suns I would be busting open champagne bottles if that happened. Hell, right now I'm wondering at what price we just let him walk and spend the money elsewhere. And please don't call me a hater. I really like Bledsoe. I just know that one of the best ways to screw your team's future is to tie up a bunch of money on someone who can't stay healthy, especially when you already have a star player at that position.

Joe

The first part of the bolded worries me, the second part not so much. His knee is a concern but I'd hate to lose him for nothing if the Medical staff considers him a low risk. And I've seen enough of Bledsoe and Dragic this season to know that if we were to part ways with Eric, the first target on my list would be a combo guard with similar skills. Using Dragic at both positions has turned him from a good player to a great player IMO and just moving him back to the point is a waste of talent.

The Clippers broadcasting team has talked freely each game (against us) about Bledsoe being highly sought after this offseason and they've mentioned the Lakers interest several times. Maybe we can work out a deal for their pick this season and send him to LA. We can then draft Randle and then add either Napier or the guard from Xavier (Christon). Both of them are decent defenders that would let us continue our current style of play. That's assuming our style of play is a choice rather than Jeff's solution to a perceived lack of talent.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Joe

The Lakers. They have paid Kobe big bucks. With Bledsoe they would get a player who can contribute on an all-star level immediately AND can be a foundation for the future in trying to draw players like Kevin Love. There have been plenty of draft busts, especially with the hottest commodities being freshmen.

Last edited:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The first part of the bolded worries me, the second part not so much. His knee is a concern but I'd hate to lose him for nothing if the Medical staff considers him a low risk. And I've seen enough of Bledsoe and Dragic this season to know that if we were to part ways with Eric, the first target on my list would be a combo guard with similar skills. Using Dragic at both positions has turned him from a good player to a great player IMO and just moving him back to the point is a waste of talent.

The Clippers broadcasting team has talked freely each game (against us) about Bledsoe being highly sought after this offseason and they've mentioned the Lakers interest several times. Maybe we can work out a deal for their pick this season and send him to LA. We can then draft Randle and then add either Napier or the guard from Xavier (Christon). Both of them are decent defenders that would let us continue our current style of play. That's assuming our style of play is a choice rather than Jeff's solution to a perceived lack of talent.

yeah, I used to say the same thing about our medical staff. Then they okayed signing Eric Gordon to an enormous contract. He hasn't missed too many games this year, but he only played in 42 last year.

Bledsoe has serious knee problems and he is as good as he is because of his athleticism and strength. He is as good as he is because he goes strong to the basket and gets knocked to the floor over and over. I'd have no problem giving him a nice contract if I thought he was going to stay healthy. It's not that I think it's risky to sign him. I think it's certain he's going to miss significant time with injuries in the next several years and at some point he's just not going to be able to recover fully. If we sign him to a big contract I'll just have to hope like hell that I'm wrong.

I agree that there will be teams coming after Bledsoe to sign him as a free agent, but nobody's giving us a top-five draft pick for him… not a chance in hell. Bledsoe has said the right things so far, but I just don't see him wanting to sign here and share point guard responsibilities with Goran Dragic for the next several years. My guess is that we will start hearing the rumors about him wanting to go to a different team where he can be the primary ball handler after the Phoenix Suns season is over.

I'm anxious to see how Randall measures at the combine. He doesn't look that long to me. He is big and strong and he's got a great ass for a power forward. He's also got really nice touch on his shots. I just don't think he's going to measure out. My guess is his standing reach is 8'10" or less.

Joe

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I agree that there will be teams coming after Bledsoe to sign him as a free agent, but nobody's giving us a … not a chance in hell. Bledsoe has said the right things so far, but I just don't see him wanting to sign here and share point guard responsibilities with Goran Dragic for the next several years. My guess is that we will start hearing the rumors about him wanting to go to a different team where he can be the primary ball handler after the Phoenix Suns season is over.

Joe

However, I bet at least a couple of teams will regret not giving a top-five draft pick for him. It happens most every draft... missing on top draft picks.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right about Bledsoe wanting to move on though.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm anxious to see how Randall measures at the combine. He doesn't look that long to me. He is big and strong and he's got a great ass for a power forward. He's also got really nice touch on his shots. I just don't think he's going to measure out. My guess is his standing reach is 8'10" or less.

Joe

The last I saw, Randle's wingspan was supposed to be roughly two inches longer than his height which is okay but less than ideal. I wouldn't draft him sight unseen if I were the Suns though. I would insist on working him out against bigger players. He has such excellent body control that I'm starting to come around to the idea he can score against a quality NBA defender but he doesn't have much of a back to the basket game yet and he doesn't make good decisions when double teamed either. He's not going to walk in and solve our problems. I think he'll score from day one but he'll be a turnover machine until he develops his other hand and learns to pass when doubled.

I'd rather have Wiggins than anyone in this class although he's still pretty raw. But unless we somehow get the number one pick I don't see that happening. There is all kinds of talk about who will go first but when the draft comes around I'd be shocked if it was anyone other than Wiggins or Parker. With Oden such a recent memory I can't see anyone taking the injury risk lightly.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Embiid will never be a PF. He is 7'1 or so and his offense is that of a traditional center. He does have some touch but as a PF he needs to be able to defend a little bit on the perimeter as well and stretch the floor.

That said as intringuing as he is I would draft Wiggins over him, seems much safer. Embiid could be a Bowie/Oden situation with the back injury he already had.

Wiggins is a safe pick to be an allstar soon. There is no way he won't be at least as good as Demarr DeRozan is now, in my opinion.