2017-2018 Draft Prospects watch.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
After reading that article that quoted Dragic saying Doncic would be a star I'm starting to come around. Dragic would know what it takes. Not sure about the order but I guess Ayton, Doncic in first tier. Bagley, Young second.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other interesting thing imho from this article is how casually Bordow states that Ayton and Doncic are the top 2 on everyone's board. That's coming from the guy who Bagley references in a rap.

I agree, it is interesting.

This is what Bordow had to say after listing Ayton as No. 1 and Doncic as No. 2.

This one is simple. If Ayton goes No. 1, they’ll take Doncic. If Doncic is the first player off the board, they’ll go Ayton. They really can’t go wrong either way.

What are the choices at No. 3?

The answer likely will lie in how Phoenix views Bagley. If the Suns see him maturing physically – he’s 6-foot-11 and 234 pounds at the age of 19 – and developing into a modern-day five who can shoot the 3, protect the rim with his leaping ability and run the floor, he could very well be the pick.

My interpretation is if the Suns draft No. 3 and do not like Bagley at center, they move on to another player. It appears the draft gets hazy at No. 3 for the Suns.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...g-pong-balls-lottery-loss-warriors/497644002/

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Let me bump this again, Doncic can't get seperation, this is a huge issue in the NBA. He passes great, but he also isn't a True PG. Booker, Warren, Jackson this team is loaded with wings. This is enough in this video to make me have nothing to do with Doncic. He doesnt have the speed to get separation now, how will he do it when people become even more bigger and faster

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Let me bump this again, Doncic can't get seperation, this is a huge issue in the NBA. He passes great, but he also isn't a True PG. Booker, Warren, Jackson this team is loaded with wings. This is enough in this video to make me have nothing to do with Doncic. He doesnt have the speed to get separation now, how will he do it when people become even more bigger and faster
The comparison is Simmons. Does he get separation? How many 6’8” guys fly by people anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this is my concern as well... and one of the reasons I think the comparison to Simmons is off. Simmons has great foot speed and can beat anyone off the dribble and take it to the rack, where he also has more size (2 inches) and explosiveness to finish plays.

Doncic compares more to me as new wave, less athletic Billy Owens. Same size 6'8, jack of all trade, tweener with great vision, passing skills but not a great athlete who ended up being a nice player, but nothing more.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don

He plays a lot like Booker.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a good feature story that just came out on Doncic, from Mina Kimes of ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/23051130/will-luka-doncic-next-star-nba-player-europe

Interesting piece

According to ESPN's Kevin Pelton, Doncic has the highest wins above replacement player (WARP) projection of any European prospect since 2006, when data became available. Based on Pelton's calculations, which take into account age and how other European prospects' statistics have translated to NBA production, Doncic's WARP projection isn't just higher than Ricky Rubio's and Nikola Jokic's -- it's also the highest projection on record, even besting that of a young Anthony Davis.

By the numbers alone, Doncic is practically a sure thing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is listed on that scout tape as "Average slasher". That is how I would describe him as well.

In the ESPN article, he blows by Porizingis just fine.

AzCards777

Rookie
Reaction score
Doncic reminds me of Booker. With that being said Suns need to go big. Suns need to get back to having that dominating big ala Amare.

Hopeing Ayton or Bagley are available. If not then I would take Doncic and hope he can learn the PG position. Im not sold on Trae Young, Jackson, Bamba or Porter.

It will be a shame if the Suns don't get at least a top 3 pick.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
this is my concern as well... and one of the reasons I think the comparison to Simmons is off. Simmons has great foot speed and can beat anyone off the dribble and take it to the rack, where he also has more size (2 inches) and explosiveness to finish plays.

Doncic compares more to me as new wave, less athletic Billy Owens. Same size 6'8, jack of all trade, tweener with great vision, passing skills but not a great athlete who ended up being a nice player, but nothing more.

He reminds me of Walt William, hes a better passer, but doesn't have the speed or strength. Domcic will be servicable, but will be about the 3rd best guy on the team with a 15 4 and 5 l, stat line, is that what you want? Id rather go need Ayton, Bagley, maybe even Porter over Doncic

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doncic seems more like Evan Turner with a jumper than Simmons. He is not as athletic or quick as Simmons is. I can see the upside to taking him but I'm still concerned with his fit on this Suns team. The only players we should build around are Booker and Jackson and I don't know how he'd play with them, long term. Hopefully they'd be willing to come in if the Suns work him out so the front office can get a look at the 3 of them together. I don't imagine it would take long to see if there is potential for them to be a great trio or not. They could be good together over time but greatness is usually something that is spotted quickly. Most saw that Booker would be a great player before he was even a starter for the Suns and you could see that Jackson and Booker would be a great pairing over time when they shared the floor early in the season before Jackson started putting his game together.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The hottest teams don't seem to have dominating centers.

I'd rather see a role-playing Center than a dominating Center. A strong, consistent rebounder to block the middle on defense.

As long as he has a decent outside shot (doesn't have to be 3-pointers) to open the floor on offense.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like others have said, Doncic seems a lot like Booker. He is a bit better as a passer. Not as good as a shooter.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Like others have said, Doncic seems a lot like Booker. He is a bit better as a passer. Not as good as a shooter.
That is a massive understatement IMO. Doncic is a far better passer than Booker and is why a lot of people believe he would be a primary ball handler in the NBA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would love to see Doncic and Booker in the backcourt together. That would be really entertaining to watch. Still don't know what that would look like defensively, but on offense, that would be amazing to watch. Another thing about Doncic is that he loves to run, and he is deadly in the open court.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is a massive understatement IMO. Doncic is a far better passer than Booker and is why a lot of people believe he would be a primary ball handler in the NBA.

The Massive overstatement is assuming Doncic is gonna be near Bookers level at all.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
The Massive overstatement is assuming Doncic is gonna be near Bookers level at all.

I am not sure I follow. Do you mean at his level in general, or a particular area? Nobody said Doncic would be a better overall player than Booker. That said, he is a far better passer right now.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick the over / under on Doncic's rookie stats.

Rebounds: 6.9
Assists: 7.2
FG%: 36%
3PointFG%: 30.5%
FT: 45.1%
eFG%: 44%
PER: 12.5
WS: 1.9

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine would be:

Over
Under
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over

Guess who player A is?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pick the over / under on Doncic's rookie stats.

Rebounds: 6.9 - under
Assists: 7.2 - under
FG%: 36% -over
3PointFG%: 30.5% - same
FT: 45.1%- over
eFG%: 44%- over
PER: 12.5 - same

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mine would be:

Over
Under
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over
Over

Guess who player A is?

Well... lot of those stats are pretty terrible. I think there is a good chance Doncic will grab a few less boards and get a few less assists than Ball... but I also think he has good odds of blowing the doors off of some of those percentage and efficiency stats.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Rebounds: 6.9 UNDER
Assists: 7.2 OVER (This is assuming he starts at PG and plays 30+ minutes per night)
FG%: 36% OVER
3PointFG%: 30.5% SAME.He will get better, but he will struggle in his first year.
FT: 45.1% OVER
eFG%: 44% OVER
PER: 12.5 OVER
WS: 1.9 OVER

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser