2019 Draft Prospects...

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just don't see what make RJ Barrett stand out among the myriad of other NBA players with his physical profile and skill set. Zion is a different kind of unicorn.
I certainly don’t agree with the tweet, I found it humorous.

Like someone else mentioned, RJ Barrett seems like a Josh Jackson type prospect. His best quality is that Steve Nash is his godfather.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Winston has a chance to get into the second round of the draft. Maybe he is an option with the Suns second round pick depending upont what they do with their first round pick.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Winston reminds me a lot of Isaiah Canaan. Maybe it’s because of their similar builds, not sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winston reminds me a lot of Isaiah Canaan. Maybe it’s because of their similar builds, not sure.

It's probably the build. After you mentioned it I went back and watched some video and thought the same thing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think he has this all wrong. Barrett may be fine but Zion is the number 1 pick with Morant right behind.

Of course I wouldn't be upset if another team had Barrett rated higher.

If you look at the numbers, Duke probably wins if Barrett shoots less last night.

That's a damning indictment for any player. I wonder how many more losses on the season Duke would have if you replaced Zion with just a normal good player?

I'd stay away from Barrett.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at the numbers, Duke probably wins if Barrett shoots less last night.

That's a damning indictment for any player. I wonder how many more losses on the season Duke would have if you replaced Zion with just a normal good player?

I'd stay away from Barrett.

I think Barrett has some value. If the Suns land at #3 maybe they could work a trade for an area of need.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here a recent tweet from Steve Nash on Barrett.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here a recent tweet from Steve Nash on Barrett.

Oh. I wish it was true. It would make this draft so much less of a question mark for the Suns. But I just do not believe Steve Nash. He is biased here.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Enjoyed watching Edwards from Purdue. Not sure how the game translates but he’s been impressive

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh. I wish it was true. It would make this draft so much less of a question mark for the Suns. But I just do not believe Steve Nash. He is biased here.

I agree, sort of. I don't see it with Barrett but Nash knows him a lot better than I do and he also knows the game a hell of a lot better than I do. So while I think he is invested in Barrett's future, I can't help but wonder if we're missing something with the guy. So I am torn on whether to include him in my wish list.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree, sort of. I don't see it with Barrett but Nash knows him a lot better than I do and he also knows the game a hell of a lot better than I do. So while I think he is invested in Barrett's future, I can't help but wonder if we're missing something with the guy. So I am torn on whether to include him in my wish list.
If he’s continuing to evolve (let’s remember he’s a freshman), he could make for an interesting backcourt mate to booker. Neither of them would be a PG per se, but if each averaged 6-7 assists and 20+ pts it would put tremendous stress on a defense to have to contain both of them, oubre and Ayton.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If he’s continuing to evolve (let’s remember he’s a freshman), he could make for an interesting backcourt mate to booker. Neither of them would be a PG per se, but if each averaged 6-7 assists and 20+ pts it would put tremendous stress on a defense to have to contain both of them, oubre and Ayton.

Great point.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The NBA is about spacing and PGs that can’t shoot 3s generally get exposed (see; Westbrook, Simmons etc) when the competition rises in the playoffs. Otherwise they need to be surrounded entirely by HOF talent like Rondo once was.

Sure he can improve as he’s young but with such a high pick, I would prefer a player that’s more NBA ready than a project. Especially considering the Suns have failed miserably lately with most of their “project” draft selections in the upper echelon of the draft.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

the only question about Barrett is if he should be 2nd or 3rd on our board not if he should be on our board at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only question about Barrett is if he should be 2nd or 3rd on our board not if he should be on our board at all.

I agree Barrett belongs in this category.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree Barrett belongs in this category.
I suppose, just because everyone else thinks so. His shooting from three at 30% makes me really wonder though. NBA guards and wings need to be able to shoot the three. It is essential.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I suppose, just because everyone else thinks so. His shooting from three at 30% makes me really wonder though. NBA guards and wings need to be able to shoot the three. It is essential.
When did the idea of rookies can improve just leave the conversation?

We treat these prospects as finished products, and they are far from it (unless you are Zion or Lebron James I guess).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm softening on Barrett a bit. I don't like how many shots he takes, but if Nash is saying he's special, that's a pretty big endorsement for me.

The idea of a Point Book - SG Barrett backcourt could be nasty on offense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
When did the idea of rookies can improve just leave the conversation?

We treat these prospects as finished products, and they are far from it (unless you are Zion or Lebron James I guess).

I'm against taking a total project with the Suns pick this year though.

I think the Suns need to take a guy who you feel will be good, even if there is a project that could be even better down the road. There is enough untapped potential on the roster right now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s not even a year removed from high school yet. Let’s allow these kids a little time to marinade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My issue with his outside shot is I don't like the mechanics at all the ball is too low and he pushes it. Also consider he has very limited range in college, he's not out there making 3's 3 feet beyond the college line he's shooting 30% being dared to shoot, from the college line. Yes he can get better at that and yes it's perfectly normal for shooters to extend their range year over year in the NBA, happens all the time, but the knock on Barrett coming into Duke was his outside shot and it's proven to be pretty clear that's still the knock now. He's a better defender than i thought, better playmaker than I thought(4.3 A to 3.2 TO ratio though not great) but he is what we thought he was as a shooter.

He's clearly a top 3 or 4 prospect in this draft but there's definitely concerns about how good he'll be if he can't fix that shot. Right now he's a scorer, he takes lots of shots, he can get into the paint, he draws fouls, he does lots well but that shooting is a real weakness for him right now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s not even a year removed from high school yet. Let’s allow these kids a little time to marinade.
Players usually are what they are. Yes they can develop but its a crap shoot. This Suns team has no room to take on players that need significant development, especially shooting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Players usually are what they are. Yes they can develop but its a crap shoot. This Suns team has no room to take on players that need significant development, especially shooting.

I agree with the general idea but I'm not sure where Barrett lands in this conversation. I certainly don't put him in the Bender project group, nor the Chriss level of prospect, not the Len or even the JJ group. He has some obvious NBA skills right now, I just don't like what I've seen of the way he plays the game.

I'd compare him to Carmelo in that anyone that watched him knew he was going to be a big name in the league although many of us questioned if he'd ever be a winner. And then, of course, he carried Syracuse to a championship so some of us changed our tune but the idea is there. Both players at times have seemed to be more about "me" than "team". I waver on this because I can't believe Nash would so strongly support a player that couldn't thrive in a team environment.