2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
With how Kawhi has been playing this postseason and how he played in game 1, I think he's making a really good case for himself as the best player in the league right now. Giannis will probably be this year's MVP and Harden will be the #2 in voting but Kawhi has to be a favorite for it next season. He has such a complete game that there is nothing he can't do. He gives you everything you could ask for and more offensively and then plays lockdown defense while he's on the court for 35-40 minutes. I can't remember the last player I saw play that hard and that well on both sides of the ball.
I think he would be happy with NBA Finals MVP! :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With how Kawhi has been playing this postseason and how he played in game 1, I think he's making a really good case for himself as the best player in the league right now. Giannis will probably be this year's MVP and Harden will be the #2 in voting but Kawhi has to be a favorite for it next season. He has such a complete game that there is nothing he can't do. He gives you everything you could ask for and more offensively and then plays lockdown defense while he's on the court for 35-40 minutes. I can't remember the last player I saw play that hard and that well on both sides of the ball.

Jordan.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So pulling for the raptors to beat the warriors so sick of seeing gs win it every yr...

And leanord is an amazing player especially for being a late draft pic

Go raptors :)

Feel asleep at halftime so missed 2nd half ugh

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So pulling for the raptors to beat the warriors so sick of seeing gs win it every yr...

Try watching Boston win it all the time!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try watching Boston win it all the time!
that was ages ago

I guess it feels that way to a lot of people but so many fans are unhappy because the Warriors have won 3 championships since 1976 but Boston has won 5 in that period plus 9 more in the 60's and 2 more in the 50's. The Lakers have won 10 titles since 1980, the Bulls won 6 in the 90's and the Spurs have won 5 since 1999 and I really don't recall this level of backlash from fans when those franchises were just working on their 4th.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess it feels that way to a lot of people but so many fans are unhappy because the Warriors have won 3 championships since 1976 but Boston has won 5 in that period plus 9 more in the 60's and 2 more in the 50's. The Lakers have won 10 titles since 1980, the Bulls won 6 in the 90's and the Spurs have won 5 since 1999 and I really don't recall this level of backlash from fans when those franchises were just working on their 4th.

They're just unlikable for some reason, it's mostly Draymond as well as Curry's on court celebrations that get me. It really is bizarre because they didn't go out and acquire the main guys, they drafted all 3 of them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the learn something new every day file. The play last night where Boogie kicked the ball no call fastbreak and 1 layup for Cook? Turns out according to the Warriors postgame guys that the refs ruled it was not an intentional kick, the pass was thrown and hit Boogie's foot(I don't agree BTW) and under the rules an inadvertent kick is a live ball. I have to admit I didn't know that. I think Boogie moved his foot so it was intentional IMO but they actually got the rule right, if it's not intentional, play on.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kawhi is the highest draft pick among Toronto's top 7

Kawhi Leonard - 15th Pick
Kyle Lowry - 24th Pick
Serge Ibaka - 24th Pick (from Phx)
Pascal Siakam - 27th Pick
Danny Green - 46th Pick
Marc Gasol - 48th Pick
Fred VanVleet - UDFA

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
In the learn something new every day file. The play last night where Boogie kicked the ball no call fastbreak and 1 layup for Cook? Turns out according to the Warriors postgame guys that the refs ruled it was not an intentional kick, the pass was thrown and hit Boogie's foot(I don't agree BTW) and under the rules an inadvertent kick is a live ball. I have to admit I didn't know that. I think Boogie moved his foot so it was intentional IMO but they actually got the rule right, if it's not intentional, play on.
Yeah, I knew about the intricacies of that rule beforehand, but it's subjective and almost impossible to determine live.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yeah, I knew about the intricacies of that rule beforehand, but it's subjective and almost impossible to determine live.
Basically, unless a guy takes a place kick at the ball they never call it. I was at a Suns game when Danny Ainge, as our coach, punted one up into the stands. They just threw him out of the game, though. :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am always the one screaming that wasn't intentional that shouldn't be a kicked ball but I have to admit I didn't know that was the actual rule. Seems to me refs almost always call it a kick when it's not intentional. Doesn't happen often but I've seen it a few times called a kick where it was clearly not on purpose.

I knew the punched part of the rule

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was expecting a 6 or 7 game series. I would not be surprised at all to see Toronto win game 2. That crowd is going to be really into it.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I knew the rule, but the way officials enforce it is baffling. I don't remember the play you're referring to, but I know there have been times when the "kick" is clearly unintentional -- like the offensive player throwing the ball into the defender's foot, before he can react -- and they call a violation, even though theoretically they aren't supposed to.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew the rule, but the way officials enforce it is baffling. I don't remember the play you're referring to, but I know there have been times when the "kick" is clearly unintentional -- like the offensive player throwing the ball into the defender's foot, before he can react -- and they call a violation, even though theoretically they aren't supposed to.

That's why I didn't know the rule, they almost always IMO call it a kick even when not intentional. This was first half I think, someone threw a pass that hit Boogie's foot, Warriors got it and Cook wound up with and And 1 layup 3 point play. Everyone booed, the announcers said kicked ball. On replay it looked to me like Boogie moved his foot but he also moved his hand. The announcers said maybe the ref thought it hit his hand not his foot. Apparently after that the refs told Nurse that they thought it was not intentional. I didn't agree I think it was intentional and cost Toronto 3 points.

I can't recall seeing it not called in that sort of scenario before. I've aways been yelling at the tv that wasn't intentional not even knowing that actually was the rule.

My biggest pet peeve is the rule, in college moreso where refs refuse to call fouls on held balls. Ball is loose, player A dives on ball, player B dives on player A, the refs almost always call a held ball because they don't want to call a foul. It's quite common to see held balls where player B doesn't even have contact with the ball he's just on top of player A. Last couple of years I've seen a few instances where they actually called a foul but nowhere near often enough.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
You are right. I misread what we were talking about. Yes. Kicked ball is usually always called.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with this. Based upon my observation I always thought it was a kicked ball call whether intentional or not.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I agree with this. Based upon my observation I always thought it was a kicked ball call whether intentional or not.
If the offensive player dribbles it off your foot or throws a bad pass that hits defender’s foot, it’s considers a loose ball.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you know what was one of the best parts of Game 1 that made it so watchable for me? The officiating and lack of bitching and moaning from both teams for the most part.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klay Thompson is the scoring for the Warriors early in the game. He has all of their 9 points.