2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Joel Embiid reportedly has suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I feel bad.
He may be the only dominant player on an opposing team whos guts I don't hate.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel bad.
He may be the only dominant player on an opposing team whos guts I don't hate.

It sounds like the plan is for Embiid to return so I don't know what to think.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with Chuck on this one. A player should have to play a minimum of 65 games to be eligible for postseason awards.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm with Chuck on this one. A player should have to play a minimum of 65 games to be eligible for postseason awards.

I was reading up on that rule and exceptions can be granted in certain circumstances but I don't believe Embiid's situation would apply. From what I recall if a player is playing in 90% of their teams games up until an injury occurs and they've cracked the 50 game mark then they can be eligible if they suffer a season ending injury. Any injured player can also seek an exception but that's one of the qualifiers for the players union to take up the case and fight for them. Without the union backing them then it's a lost cause, really.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading up on that rule and exceptions can be granted in certain circumstances but I don't believe Embiid's situation would apply. From what I recall if a player is playing in 90% of their teams games up until an injury occurs and they've cracked the 50 game mark then they can be eligible if they suffer a season ending injury. Any injured player can also seek an exception but that's one of the qualifiers for the players union to take up the case and fight for them. Without the union backing them then it's a lost cause, really.

If Embiid isn't an exception, I'm not sure who is. And yes, I think the players union would support him after they acquiesced to the owners demands.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Embiid isn't an exception, I'm not sure who is. And yes, I think the players union would support him after they acquiesced to the owners demands.

He's missed too much time previously. It wouldn't happen. Plus money isn't at stake. He's already supermax eligible. The union won't raise a stink until they have a fight they can win. Embiid is planning to return this year also, so he's not someone who would qualify. Say Luka tears his ACL in the next game and is done for the next 9-12 months, that's the sort of exception they'd fight for next he's had an amazing season so far but he suffered a year ending injury while playing in the vast majority of his teams games up to this point. It's not his fault, or anyone's, he's been knocked out before he could reach 65 games played because we haven't hit that far into the season yet. He was on pace for it though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's missed too much time previously. It wouldn't happen. Plus money isn't at stake. He's already supermax eligible. The union won't raise a stink until they have a fight they can win. Embiid is planning to return this year also, so he's not someone who would qualify. Say Luka tears his ACL in the next game and is done for the next 9-12 months, that's the sort of exception they'd fight for next he's had an amazing season so far but he suffered a year ending injury while playing in the vast majority of his teams games up to this point. It's not his fault, or anyone's, he's been knocked out before he could reach 65 games played because we haven't hit that far into the season yet. He was on pace for it though.

It's hard for me to draw the distinction. I guess I will know it when I see it. Now, if a player falls only a few games short, I can better understand an exception.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's hard for me to draw the distinction. I guess I will know it when I see it. Now, if a player falls only a few games short, I can better understand an exception.

The distinction will become apparent when a player goes down before the end of the season and misses the playoffs. It's unlikely they'd win MVP, DPOY, but maybe Sixth Man or Rookie of the Year and probably more likely to be something that effects All-NBA teams. Think back when Jamal Murray went down a few seasons back after the All-Star break, they probably would have fought for him if he were in real consideration for an award but he came up short because he suffered a major injury that led to his season ending early and a prolonged absence.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You blame him as a leader for the way Ja is? What do you know about his leadership that is causing Ja to be the way he is? :shrug:

I think I would tend to put the blame on Ja and maybe his up bringing and choices he has made.
I don’t think he blamed him. I think he was stating that maybe his leadership was relatively ineffectual if he couldn’t reach ja. There’s a big difference there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report on the left knee of Joel Embiid.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zach LaVine will reportedly have season ending surgery.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jarred Vanderbilt of the Lakers is expected to miss several weeks with a foot injury.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, Dallas reportedly has significant interest in Miles Bridges.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pelicans make offer for Bridges.

Can you, and everyone else, try to use first and last name when referring to either Bridges? The talk has largely been about Miles and now Mikal is being brought up.

Big difference between the two, one is a class act and the other is an ass clown.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per reports, Joel Embiid is to have a corrective procedure done on his left knee this week.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Getting a bunch of play on Tiktok right now. Just another Hall Of Shame moment from MasturbAyton.
Jokic really didn't even need the pump fake once Ayton started to fantasize about what he was going to be doing on his next snow day.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you, and everyone else, try to use first and last name when referring to either Bridges? The talk has largely been about Miles and now Mikal is being brought up.

Big difference between the two, one is a class act and the other is an ass clown.
Literally the TITLE link to the article said "Mikal".....it couldn't be clearer. If I was just posing a personal opinion I would have. I get it, miles of difference between the two and the one is a complete POS. Totally agree. Can you only see the title on certain devices?!?

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser